3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

RedDagger

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread

Mirokunite
3 minutes ago, Little Big Man said:

One of the cards in the collectors box shows a king, for what it's worth.

y4g0wkt6e0311.jpg

Arthur is now confirmed King Arthur. Sadie is now Guinevere.

Little Big Man
Posted (edited)

red-dead-redemption-2-collectors-edition

If you look at the "12 cigarette cards" on the right, you can just see a king next to the horse.

My theory: "King" Arthur will face off against an Alien Queen. Game over, pardner!

Edited by Little Big Man

Mirokunite
4 minutes ago, Little Big Man said:

red-dead-redemption-2-collectors-edition

If you look at the "12 cigarette cards" on the right, you can just see a king next to the horse.

JiSVXdM.jpg

Hmmm.

vKing
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Little Big Man said:

One of the cards in the collectors box shows a king, for what it's worth.

That looks like "king Foltest" from the Witcher 2. A very weird game to reference in a wild west themed game but whatever. It's there lol

EDIT: Here is a pic, i could also be completely wrong.

Spoiler

nxviYaG.jpg

Edited by vKing

zachsterosu
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mirokunite said:

It could be a company town of sorts. Like the railroad camp, or Plainview. There is also Cornwall Freight & Commodities company in the game. I think Cornwall Freight & Commodities will be this games American Express/Wells Fargo. Before these where banks they were shipping and mail services.

Maybe the Cornwall company will be a villain in this game.

I think you're spot on with this one. My initial theory was that unless Cornwall was a large corporation with multiple goods/services(Wells Fargo, etc.), there's no way a small kerosene and tar company would have it's own private/armored railcars. After seeing the plaque on the collectors box, this makes the most sense.

Btw the burned down town might not be listed as a settlement, but rather a landmark. There's probably not a whole lot you can do there, so it might just a Tumbleweed 2.0.

43 minutes ago, vKing said:

That looks like "king Foltest" from the Witcher 2. A very weird game to reference in a wild west themed game but whatever. It's there lol

EDIT: Here is a pic, i could also be completely wrong.

Hide contents

nxviYaG.jpg

I'm no expert in medieval history, but wasn't that a fairly standard look for kings across Europe? Also, crown doesn't match...

Edited by zachsterosu

vKing
32 minutes ago, zachsterosu said:

Btw the burned down town might not be listed as a settlement, but rather a landmark. There's probably not a whole lot you can do there, so it might just a Tumbleweed 2.0.

I'm no expert in medieval history, but wasn't that a fairly standard look for kings across Europe? Also, crown doesn't match...

Yup, you're right. It was kind of a longshot. Hmm, i wonder what the significance of that card is... 

zachsterosu
Just now, vKing said:

Yup, you're right. It was kind of a longshot. Hmm, i wonder what the significance of that card is... 

Me too, maybe another form of live entertainment. Plays?

BretMaverick777
10 hours ago, ivarblaauw said:

Has anybody thought about that name? Cornwall Kerosene and Tar is definitely a business, not a town. However, my guess is that de settlement is simply named: Cornwall :) In this town, Kerosene and Tar is (by far) the largest business, hence the name.

I suspect Cornwall is not only a company, but an NPC antagonist.   i.e., some very wealthy robber baron who not only runs the kerosene and tar (i.e., oil) company, but a good chunk of the railroads in the game (hence the Cornwall train being robbed in the trailer).  Could be a recurring villain, someone like Morgan or Vanderbilt or Carnegie, who gets tired of Dutch's gang targeting his properties and so hires the Blackrose (Pinkertons?) bounty hunters to track them down. 

Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking the well-dressed dapper villain from Trailer 3 who tells the gang, "You venerate savagery, and you will all die savagely" is, in fact, this Cornwall character.  And yeah, he's probably British (or at least a generation or two off the boat) -- aren't all villains? 

BretMaverick777
1 hour ago, zachsterosu said:

Me too, maybe another form of live entertainment. Plays?

Didn't Rockstar mention something about entertainers?   Then you've got the fire-breather performing on a stage in Trailer 3, and the use of the word "caravan" for the gang camps.   Maybe Dutch's gang travels with nomadic troupes of entertainers -- circuses; Wild West Shows; Native American "celebs" like Geronimo, Chief Joseph and Sitting Bull paraded as curiosities; traveling stage performers; snake oil salesmen like Nigel West Dickens from RDR1; etc.  

Mirokunite

I think the 'pinkerton' agency that is after the gang is affiliated with Cornwall. Perhaps either brought in to protect their goods, or hell might even be the security arm of that company. I could see the gang mainly going after them since companies around that time use to do underhanded sh*t. From burning homesteaders of properties to putting down strikes with bullets.

Dutch sees his fight against Cornwall as just in the face of all that company does. But he becomes disillusioned when he sees he cannot stop the progress of corporations and the government.

tsycho
Posted (edited)

cornwall.jpg

Talking about Cornwall Kerosene & Tar company... You guys think this guy could be the boss of that company? There are oil pumps in the background and that man looks kinda rich. Don't know if someone mentioned this before.

Edited by tsycho

zachsterosu
5 minutes ago, tsycho said:

cornwall.jpg

Talking about Cornwall Kerosene & Tar company... You guys think this guy could be the boss of that company? There are oil pumps in the background and that man looks kinda rich. Don't know if someone mentioned this before.

Good eye m8, lol! I know it's unlikely, but I really want to try and make out what that card with the ranch says. A town name maybe?

tsycho
2 minutes ago, zachsterosu said:

Good eye m8, lol! I know it's unlikely, but I really want to try and make out what that card with the ranch says. A town name maybe?

I already tried to figure that out but no chance... But on that picture to me it looks more like a farm than a town.

alz
On 6/9/2018 at 3:21 AM, Mirokunite said:

Not really sure how it scales in the world of RDR. But SD might be around this size area of GTA V.

90kVXuc.jpg

Or maybe just the Vespucci Beach area. If you think its small, go boot up GTA V and walk (YES WALK) from the skate park to the ammu-nation in Little Seoul.

That was a pretty close guess!  Here's both maps with an inverted SD near LS.

Spoiler

NJccLLm.jpg

Mirokunite
2 hours ago, alz said:

That was a pretty close guess!  Here's both maps with an inverted SD near LS.

Hide contents

NJccLLm.jpg

Like I said, I'm not sure how well it scales to the game. But I just eyeballed it and assumed it was about the size of Vespucci Beach and a bit of Little Seoul.

Mirokunite
6 hours ago, zachsterosu said:

Reminds me of the ranch in the first trailer for some reason. But if you look closely there seems to be a mountain behind the ranch in the picture. Also the darker greens make it seem lush. Maybe its a location down in Center/South America?

On the cards we got:

Landon Ricketts
A ranch at the base of a mountain.
What is either a old logo, or perhaps a caricature of someone. Maybe a caricature of Teddy Roosevelt or a in game person like him?
A dark skinned woman of wealth. Reminds me of pictures of Hawaiian royalty  something like Kaʻiulani) but I'm sure its not that.
Hot air balloon.
Looks to be a entertainer of sorts
Wildflowers
Coral snake
Looks to be the head of Cornwall Oil. Business magnate.
Phonograph cylinder
King Arthur. Or at the very least a warrior king due to the chainmail coif. Probably Richard the Lionheart
chestnut white saddlebred?

gonnaenodaethat
12 hours ago, BretMaverick777 said:

Didn't Rockstar mention something about entertainers?   Then you've got the fire-breather performing on a stage in Trailer 3, and the use of the word "caravan" for the gang camps.   Maybe Dutch's gang travels with nomadic troupes of entertainers -- circuses; Wild West Shows; Native American "celebs" like Geronimo, Chief Joseph and Sitting Bull paraded as curiosities; traveling stage performers; snake oil salesmen like Nigel West Dickens from RDR1; etc.  

Don't forget the midgets

Mirokunite

I want to see blackface minstrel shows in this game, and the characters being indifferent to it.

Little Big Man
Posted (edited)

Herbert Moon's Theatre Troupe?

Edited by Little Big Man

Gtaman_92
7 hours ago, Mirokunite said:

I want to see blackface minstrel shows in this game, and the characters being indifferent to it.

That will never happen.

Mirokunite
39 minutes ago, Gtaman_92 said:

That will never happen.

Probably wont. It would be a huge sh*t storm. Sure Rockstar could do that, but probably wont.

8 hours ago, Little Big Man said:

Herbert Moon's Theatre Troupe?

I don't even think Herbert Moon would watch blackface. Probably wouldn't watch theater since Lincoln was killed in a theater, and theater is a conspiracy with Jewish British Catholic homosexuals to him or something.

thc_404
On 6/11/2018 at 9:52 PM, Mirokunite said:

Probably wont. It would be a huge sh*t storm. Sure Rockstar could do that, but probably wont.

I don't even think Herbert Moon would watch blackface. Probably wouldn't watch theater since Lincoln was killed in a theater, and theater is a conspiracy with Jewish British Catholic homosexuals to him or something.

Because Rockstar shuns controversy, amirite?

BretMaverick777
On 6/10/2018 at 9:02 PM, tsycho said:

I already tried to figure that out but no chance... But on that picture to me it looks more like a farm than a town.

Wild stab at it:  

Have no idea what the top of the card says, but the bottom line *seems* to read "THE BLACKROSES....?"   Which would be the bounty hunters we're all assuming are Rockstar's version of the Pinkertons

BretMaverick777
Posted (edited)

St. Denis Revisited

So most of us are making the logical assumption that St. Denis is based primarily on a fictionalized New Orleans.   Makes sense for the location below the bayou, and its prominence as a riverport in the picture on the puzzle. 

But here's something else to keep in mind.... St. Denis could also -- or instead -- refer to St. Louis.  Very similar name, and in some respects, 1899 St. Louis would be just as wild and woolly as N'Awlins in terms of riverboat gambling (yay), brothels (yay), bareknuckles boxing on the docks and wharves (yay), fancy saloons, and the like. 

Gonna try my first attempt at uploading an image, so this probably doesn't stand a chance in hell of working, but if it does:   this is an image of St. Louis in 1896.   Looks very similar to the St. Denis jigsaw puzzle map.

noacjnd.jpg

Edited by BretMaverick777
photo upload

BretMaverick777
Posted (edited)

Okay, bingo....looks like my photo worked.  Yay me.  Lemme know if it's borked at y'all's end, but looks good from here. 

Anyway, some more interesting St. Louis trivia that could play into this St. Denis theory:

a)  Mark Twain was still alive and well in this era, and he had ties to St. Louis, to Missouri, and to the Mississippi River.   At the time of RDR2, though, he was living in Connecticut instead of Missouri, so...

b) a good reason for Twain to return home to St. Louis/St. Denis would be --- the 1904 World's Fair.   This was a huge event in St. Louis, and the venue was probably the most spectacular man-made thing anyone had seen in America at the time.  It got to be such a famous event that movie musicals were made of it -- see Judy Garland in "Meet Me in St. Louis." 

nbU8jGE.jpg

osVqNjG.jpg  (Louisiana Purchase Exposition)

c) Even cooler would be a meet with Mark Twain at the 1904 World's Fair....along with Nikola Tesla and/or Thomas Edison.   Both were friends of Twain, and all of them would have been very interested in the Palace of Electricity, a state of the art exhibition of the contemporary status of electrical devices, as well as a look ahead to the future of electricity.  

Dn43B32.jpg

Yeah, it's all speculation and pie in the sky, and I don't believe Rockstar has ever tried to drop cameos of historical figures into a game, like Ubisoft; but can you imagine THIS as a setting inside St. Denis?  A full-on World's Fair, with exotic (for 1904) tech and spectacular pavilions, venues, and carnival rides?  

Edited by BretMaverick777
Picts (or Celts)

eggmonroe
On 6/11/2018 at 8:49 AM, Mirokunite said:

Phonograph cylinder

Not sure, but I would imagine that is more likely a line or belt drive oil pressing machine.

Cutter De Blanc

I think most people are assuming it's based on New Orleans due to it's proximity to the bayou 

e1999KrayzieBone
12 hours ago, BretMaverick777 said:

St. Denis Revisited

So most of us are making the logical assumption that St. Denis is based primarily on a fictionalized New Orleans.   Makes sense for the location below the bayou, and its prominence as a riverport in the picture on the puzzle. 

But here's something else to keep in mind.... St. Denis could also -- or instead -- refer to St. Louis.  Very similar name, and in some respects, 1899 St. Louis would be just as wild and woolly as N'Awlins in terms of riverboat gambling (yay), brothels (yay), bareknuckles boxing on the docks and wharves (yay), fancy saloons, and the like. 

Gonna try my first attempt at uploading an image, so this probably doesn't stand a chance in hell of working, but if it does:   this is an image of St. Louis in 1896.   Looks very similar to the St. Denis jigsaw puzzle map.

I too immediately thought of Saint Louis (and not New Orleans) when I saw Saint Denis, given that the name is just three letters off. Both are river cities with heavy French influence. However, this "Saint Denis" appears to be in the bayou, so it'll likely be modeled after just New Orleans. 

If they wanted to also include a representation of Saint Louis, it would be up towards Annesburg or Van Horn, but it would have to be another BIG city, as Saint Louis was the 4th largest city in the US around 1890, so I think they decided to exclude it. Maybe Saint Denis is a Saint Louis-New Orleans hybrid, but I doubt it, given that New Orleans is such an influential city in it's own right, it wouldn't need to bring in another town's character to make it fleshed out. 

Wavybone216
27 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I think most people are assuming it's based on New Orleans due to it's proximity to the bayou 

It’s obvious...not an assumption....

Cutter De Blanc

Yes, well, I was being diplomatic. You win more flies with honey and all that.