2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

RedDagger

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread

Spider-Vice

If you do not wish to be spoiled about the contents of the RDR2 map, or whether it includes landmarks from the past games or not, please go back.

Thanks.

Message added by Spider-Vice

Fluffy Sock

At this time I prefer to just wait and see the map when I get the game.

TigerWoodsLibido

All I want to know is if my old stomping grounds are back, no other details.

Flapjaw
6 hours ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

I'll be honest, I've been on this board since I was getting hyped for San Andreas and trying to hopelessly figure out the map for that one. I only come into this thread as all the rest of the spoilers and gameplay I want to be completely surprised with.  All I want to know is are my old stomping grounds back and better than ever from RDR1 and how massive is the map.

I predict it will take a half hour to ride across the map at full gallop.

Haha same. Though I dont remember making an account here until 2008. Waiting for San Andreas details was a very memorable time in my early years of using the internet. 

USAPatriot

I hope we don't get a leaked map.  I look forward to getting the game, opening up the map booklet (if they have one) and comparing what we did with how the actual game is.  Yes, I would do this before I play the game.

Doomageddon666

44079065_10209530320493862_4748553938817

Bleep%
7 minutes ago, Doomageddon666 said:

44079065_10209530320493862_4748553938817

Need to spell it out for me. Are they focussing on finalising RDRO or have they made RDRSP as a platform to primarily introduce Online like they did GTAV? 

Edited by Bleep%

Orfan Loom
22 minutes ago, Bleep% said:

Need to spell it out for me. Are they focussing on finalising RDRO or have they made RDRSP as a platform to primarily introduce Online like they did GTAV? 

The message with this quote from a presumably R* ex-employee says only that: The main focus of the team is on RDRO, but they are also Remaking RDR1, and it will come as a stand-alone single-player DLC for RDR2.

dandroid

4chan "leaks" should be taken with a wheelbarrow of salt... but a RDR remake would make a certain amount of sense.

1. The video games industry loves remakes right now. Clearly they're profitable.
  2. We know Rockstar have already gone to the effort of remaking New Austin for RDR2.
  3. RDR2 already has a gameplay mechanic where the game world evolves with the passage of time.

On the other hand, it'd be an enormous undertaking.

I'm curious what form it would take. Translating the game world would probably be the most straightforward part. But would they use the original motion capture data? Would that be jarring to see 2010 animation systems in a 2018 game engine?

rogerer
15 minutes ago, Orfan Loom said:

The message with this quote from a presumably R* ex-employee says only that: The main focus of the team is on RDRO, but they are also Remaking RDR1, and it will come as a stand-alone single-player DLC for RDR2.

it means, RDR1 map will probably not be included in RDR2 until DLC with new re-made story will be published? Maybe DLC could be only story....

Edited by rogerer

Orfan Loom
4 minutes ago, rogerer said:

it means, RDR1 map will probably not be included in RDR2 until DLC with new re-made story will be published?

If they really are creating a Remake of RDR1....

But if they're not...

Neither way it makes sense to show Armadillo and Mexico in the trailer, and then not include it in the base RDR2.

Edited by Orfan Loom

rogerer

yes, but DLC can be just a new story (rdr1) on the same map (incl rdr1 map). We will see in 9 days or sooner 🕵️‍♂️

Punkd

who says this post from the ex-employee isnt a fake? its likely 99% fake imo

bakerach
27 minutes ago, rogerer said:

it means, RDR1 map will probably not be included in RDR2 until DLC with new re-made story will be published? Maybe DLC could be only story....

There is about a 0.001% chance they went to the effort of remastering the old map just to lock it behind a paywall.

If it's there (which is almost certainly is, since they've been shoving hints on our faces for months), it'll be part of the game from day one.

rogerer

We have a list of locations including postcards (official R* website). Why New Austin and Mexico  are not included in this list?

Bleep%

The only thing that throws doubt about the remake is that it has been stated from around the time of RDR1's release onward that RDR1 code is so spaghetti a remake won't happen.

Thought dump:

- Code too spaghetti to remake.

- Map from a Skeletal part of code but not entire game. 

- Old Map added as DLC with new storyline as prequel of events on the Old Map.

- Old Map in Game day 1. 

Edited by Bleep%

AzBat360
28 minutes ago, Punkd said:

who says this post from the ex-employee isnt a fake? its likely 99% fake imo

Yeah just like leaked map released 2 years ago. Oh wait...

RedBed

I wonder how many minutes is the day/night cycle ?

rogerer

in my opinion it will be just leaked map....maybe bigger - upscaled, so goin from north to south can be longer than it seems....

Armadillo and desert could be just missions like north yankton...

Nutduster
17 minutes ago, rogerer said:

We have a list of locations including postcards (official R* website). Why New Austin and Mexico  are not included in this list?

Because they're keeping it something of a surprise? We already have seen glimpses of Blackwater, Armadillo (in a new cut scene), and New Austin desert areas. Mexico is less certain but at this point it's just stubbornness to think New Austin won't be in the game.

9 minutes ago, Bleep% said:

The only thing that throws doubt about the remake is that it has been stated from around the time of RDR1's release onward that RDR1 code is so spaghetti a remake won't happen.

Thought dump:

- Code too spaghetti to remake.

- Map from a Skeletal part of code but not entire game. 

- Old Map added as DLC with new storyline as prequel of events on the Old Map.

- Old Map in Game day 1. 

That spaghetti code thing doesn't have a source as far as I know. More extrapolation and rumor than anything. Anyway, if they do this it will be the game remade in the current engine - recycling the script and most of the audio, maybe some of the mo-cap, but the rest will be handled by the new engine or built from scratch. I'm pretty confident about that. Spaghetti code or no, they won't be using most of it.

To me this rumor makes a lot of sense. Include the map at launch, then release a remake of RDR for $30-40. The interesting question is whether John will be able to travel to the new map and if there'll be anything to do there... I also have a suspicion this could mean Mexico would be there but inaccessible for Arthur. Possibly. They could save it as a playable location for the DLC.

Edited by Nutduster

Nyfyr

Are people still believing these 4chan rumours? lol feel free, I guess.

UnderWeb
14 minutes ago, RedBed said:

I wonder how many minutes is the day/night cycle ?

3DJuegos guy said he thinks its longer than in gtav

Edited by UnderWeb

INFERNO E100

3mins/hour

Seanonimo1SA
16 minutes ago, rogerer said:

in my opinion it will be just leaked map....maybe bigger - upscaled, so goin from north to south can be longer than it seems....

Armadillo and desert could be just missions like north yankton...

and why they say that is the biggest map then?? Nah.. Armadillo is in the game

Edited by Seanonimo1SA

rogerer

we do not know the scale..... you can go from St. Denis to Valentine 15minutes or you can go 30 minutes? 😄 I dont know.

Believe me, I also want Armadillo and Mexico in the game 🙂

Edited by rogerer

Nutduster
24 minutes ago, Nyfyr said:

Are people still believing these 4chan rumours? lol feel free, I guess.

"Believing" is a strong word.  I just think this rumor makes a lot of sense.  It's easily the most logical reason to bring back the old map in full, as they seem to be doing.  I don't know whether this "ex-employee" really is any such thing, but at minimum I agree with the thought process behind it.

19 minutes ago, UnderWeb said:

3DJuegos guy said he thinks its longer than in gtav

I'd be fine with them doubling it.  They're pushing for more realism and making it so Arthur has to sleep periodically... makes sense to lengthen the days substantially.

Edited by Nutduster

Jason

RDR1 being a paid expansion has been hinted at before that 4chan rumour. By more, uh, "reliable" people too.

That said, 4chan rumours these days have become legendary for being full of sh*t. Rocksteady rumours come out from there every 6 months and if they were all true they'd be making a Superman game, a Batman game and a Justice League game all at the same time.

HockeyMike24
7 minutes ago, Nutduster said:

"Believing" is a strong word.  I just think this rumor makes a lot of sense.  It's easily the most logical reason to bring back the old map in full, as they seem to be doing.  I don't know whether this "ex-employee" really is any such thing, but at minimum I agree with the thought process behind it.

And that's what makes it such a good rumor. This is something that could be possible and most of us have even thought about. Though I highly doubt this leak is real.

Nutduster
Just now, HockeyMike24 said:

And that's what makes it such a good rumor. This is something that could be possible and most of us have even thought about. Though I highly doubt this leak is real.

Yeah - I don't trust 4chan as a source as far as I can throw them.  It could be real, but it way more likely it someone making stuff up.  But even if that's what it is I still think it's plausible for Rockstar to do it.  It makes the most sense out of their apparent choice to link the old map to the new one, which they've never done before; if this game was made along the same lines as San Andreas, for instance, we'd see Blackwater on one isolated mission and then spend the rest of the game in the new map.  I've thought all along it was really strange that they seemed to be incorporating the old map in its entirety, but if they intend to remake RDR as pseudo-DLC, then it suddenly makes a lot of sense.

bakerach
5 minutes ago, Jason said:

RDR1 being a paid expansion has been hinted at before that 4chan rumour. By more, uh, "reliable" people too.

That said, 4chan rumours these days have become legendary for being full of sh*t. Rocksteady rumours come out from there every 6 months and if they were all true they'd be making a Superman game, a Batman game and a Justice League game all at the same time.

The most accurate leaks (the ones that have released accurate details long before they were confirmed by R*) have mentioned nothing about paid DLC.  They have described a "game plus" mode where you play as John at the end of the game, as well as Armadillo being a location in the game world.  No mention of paid expansions by any credible sources that I've seen.