Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,239 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Niobium

did you like the ending?

did you like the ending?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. did you like the ending?

• yes
    • no
    • it was so-so

Niobium

some don't like it and i am curious to know why.

i thought it was a good ending... something you don't see often in games. john knew he had to sacrifice himself or else the feds will use his family to get to him.

jack's revenge was ok, but i wish there was more that just a duel with ross. overall it was a bittersweet ending

RogerWho

It was very fitting, so yes. Although I still think the whole "government agents" angle was kinda stupid, John's personal story was good and ended in a way as it was always bound to.

I do agree that Jack's part felt very short and almost rushed though. I'm not against the idea that the son takes over the game after his father, but he was still quite a blank slate compared to John and thus playing the game afterwards didn't feel satisfying anymore. He needed to be fleshed out more.

If his part of the story was supposed to be the revenge - well okay (even though: how original), but maybe he could at least gather his friends from the army or whatever to help him out and have a proper mission? That would be a good DLC, instead we got zombies.

Rascalov

It was very fitting, so yes. Although I still think the whole "government agents" angle was kinda stupid, John's personal story was good and ended in a way as it was always bound to.

I do agree that Jack's part felt very short and almost rushed though. I'm not against the idea that the son takes over the game after his father, but he was still quite a blank slate compared to John and thus playing the game afterwards didn't feel satisfying anymore. He needed to be fleshed out more.

If his part of the story was supposed to be the revenge - well okay (even though: how original), but maybe he could at least gather his friends from the army or whatever to help him out and have a proper mission? That would be a good DLC, instead we got zombies.

The story was centred around the government and how they will always f*ck you over I fail to see how it was stupid.

OT

Yes, I did, a happy ending would not have suited Red Dead Redemption, the feds giving John a happy ending would have felt odd they had to find another monster to justify their wages.

Pink Pineapple

I just wish Jack was cooler. He was kind of a dork.

Femme Fatale

Meh, it was okay, I love the "I'm not going anywhere, old man" line...

The Deadite

It was powerful as f*ck, No doubt about it, but Jack sucked compared to John... like they f*cked the freeroaming IMO.

There wasn't even a f*cking cheat to play as John again, like c'mon R*.

OfficialTwiggz

Spoiler guys! Gosh! It's been 7 or so years and haven't finished it yet!

/sarcasm.

The ending pissed me off, not gonna lie. I liked John. Got attached to John. The man we knew to love for however many hours just died and we couldn't do anything but start a new game or play with his annoying squealer son.

I hope they realized their mistake and hopefully make a better ending for all types of players.

Niobium

so some people hate the ending because of jack (lol he's that hated)

sh*tpost

WHY CAN'T TREVOR GET THE SAME AMOUNT OF HATE? FU*K THIS FU*KING FORUM

Payne Killer

^Stop crying like a wuss.

OT: Yeah, I liked the ending. Too bad someone spoiled it for MH. Must have been sad.

lh1

Didn't like it, because the real ending is so confusing. Like the game doesn't even tell you where to get that LAST "BOSS"

Zello

I liked it just hated playing as Jack afterwards

Edited by Zello

OfficialTwiggz

Didn't like it, because the real ending is so confusing. Like the game doesn't even tell you where to get that LAST "BOSS"

I literally spent MONTHS running around before noticing them, tbh

Professor SmackaDabbah

Ending of the main story and Jack avenging John was great. But then we're stuck playing a whiney f*ckstain who really has no business doing the same things his father was

Fuzzknuckles

Tough question, I'm not sure it really allows me to answer honestly. The ending itself was fine, the way it continued into the end game was not. That, really, is my only gripe with the whole game.

wagszilla

It's an awesome ending.

Dramatically powerful and emotionally moving. That's good storytelling.

I can see why some would be upset having to play as Jack but that's sort of the point. You're forced to live in those shoes. They could've nested a save point or let you revert after so long but then that undercuts what they were doing with the story.

Ballsy move. I like it.

jdv95

hell yes!

i'm all for realistic endings even if they have to be sad.

tired of shoehorning happy endings to please the crowd that have no idea what GREAT storytelling is.

RogerWho

The story was centred around the government and how they will always f*ck you over I fail to see how it was stupid.

The part where they kidnap your family. It just doesn't feel like much of a government thing to do. Mafia did the same at one point in the story and I've always found it hard to swallow.

Another thing... so the agents send out one man to track down and kill all those people, travelling across the whole country... Did they really expect him to succeed in such a task, usually with no support? Sure it's enough to kickstart the story but still somewhat blatantly video-gamey. I mean what would they do if he just got killed? Shrug and let go of the idea to ever get those gang members to justice? It's just odd.

It would be more fitting if that was a competition gang kidnapping your family and threatening you. The government agents could then get involved in some other way. They could still need to get rid of John at the end in order to clean up so that part wouldn't need to change and it could also be more unexpected. Such as it is, we know those agents are corrupt right from the start.

saintsrow

Better'n John Marston gettin' his head stomped in by a psycho hilljack.

But if anybody thinks that Jack Marston was a good way to end RDR, I beg to differ. :p

Mathemagician

It was a very good ending to an even better story.

Only downside was having to play as Jack, afterwards.

Arlarse

Liked the ending, loved the overall story; for me it's R* best story. I do agree that Jack could have done with fleshing out more though.

NearExpansion

It's a great ending and there's not much more they could do then let Jack seek out Ross. I do wonder if RDR2 will continue (or prequel) the Marston story or be a new set of characters. The first seven men illustration on the announcement screenshot doesn't offer enough detail to say if its John or Jack revisited.

Edited by NearExpansion

InfernoV

The ending was great, not everything ends with rainbows and flowers. With that being said I HATED Jack Marston.

thatstupidbug

No because after mgs4, gta4 and TLAD i was burned out by bad endings.

After all those years I have no problem admitting it's quite good (if depressing), but I stil hate it with a passion for being so depressing. (tv tropes has the perfect definition for what i feel: "Darkness-induced audience apathy")

And i was never really able to play as jack

Edited by thatstupidbug

Cameron Star

I stopped playing story missions after I reunited John with his family and they got to their farm. When I found out he was going to die I didn't want it to happen so I just pretended everything was okay.

I'm playing it again now so I might do it this time but I don't know. Maybe I'll at least make a save before he dies so I can go back to playing with him when I'm done.

Zader

It was sad, but that's how a gunslinger's ballad ends. Not just with a bang, sometimes with 20.

Little Big Man

Rancher John can't change clothes. If that matters to you then leave a save game just after Dutch dies

in the snow.

Whew, lucky I spoilered that. Don't want to go give too much away!

Edited by Little Big Man

Cameron Star

Rancher John can't change clothes. If that matters to you then leave a save game just after Dutch dies

in the snow.

Whew, lucky I spoilered that. Don't want to go give too much away!

Really? I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip, I'll do that! I like having him wear a poncho.

Alexlecj

It closes the story well.

Mrs. Bush: Apparently, Mr. Johns wants to run for governor, which is why he's so concerned with cleaning up the state.

Edgar Ross: The life you lived...you don't just walk away from that, buy a few chickens and make it all disappear. You should be dead or rotting in a jail cell by now. [...] Governor Johns is going to be very pleased. [...] Let's just say he has a vested interest in cleaning the filth out of this region.

Dutch Van der Linde: You're just like me, John. You can't change who you are. [...] You can't erase the past, John. Killin' me, it won't make it go away. [...] When I'm gone, they'll just find another monster. They have to, because they have to justify their wages. [...] Our time is passed, John.

ibsmokin

Story was amazing, and it ended as it should especially with gov pulling his strings. Hated playing as Jack though. Replayed through it after till the farm unlocked got the legend of the west outfit and never looked back.

ULPaperContact

Love-hate relationship, ya know? Sure, it was a pretty good ending, but I personally wanted to see Marston blast through the obstacles and end the corruption, without having to paly as his dipsh*t bookworm of a son.