2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Red Dead Redemption 2: Discussion & Speculation (Part 1)

Spider-Vice

Isnt this Rockstar's first attempt at a prequel/adding to an existing story line?

I hope they do well and we wait as eagerly for RDR3 as well!

J.Dillinger Blackheart

All i want is to NOT play as f*ckin john marston again, maybe see who he was through a new protags perspective would be cool imo. I really would find it dope af to play as either Dutch or Bill though. With the leaked map turning out to be 100% legit, i wonder how that little dash of what seems to be Mexico will play apart in the story.

I hope the entire map isn't open from the start.

If that can be tied to the storyline, it would be interesting, similar to how you couldn't cross to Mexico or West Elizabeth in Redemption, because of broken bridges as far as I remember, right? In Redemption 2, think of being attached to an area/hideout because Arthur and the gang are being chased by lawmen and bounty hunters. Crossing over to another area will bring those looking for you and your mobility will be restricted, which will psychologically force you to go back to hiding.

Edited by Efreet
  • Like 1

Holland_Hicks

I also hope the penitentiary has some significance in the story. Maybe even a neat gameplay mechanic where you are sent there if you've committed a major crime, and it's up to you to escape from the island.

Edited by Holland_Hicks
  • Like 2

Why are people saying that Rockstar haven't done prequels before?

Literally every game after GTA III up until GTA IV was a prequel to GTA III.

• Like 2

Why are people saying that Rockstar haven't done prequels before?

Literally every game after GTA III up until GTA IV was a prequel to GTA III.

True, but they focused on a completely new storyline, and only featured recurring characters in their past who happened to be involved in smaller stories within a longer adventure that's irrelevant to their existence. This time, Redemption 2 will majorly focus on the adventurers of Dutch's gang, which never happened before in R*'s history.

• Like 3

Holland_Hicks

Is anyone else disappointed we didn't at least get some new artwork with the trailer? Some art of Arthur would've been appreciated.

Edited by Holland_Hicks

Hate to be a downer on a thread like this but I have to ask: was anyone else ultimately disappointed to see just how much of a prequel RDR 2 is gonna be. I know it's been on the cards since the reveal last year but having seen the trailer as well as Rockstar's description of this being "the story of outlaw Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linde gang", I can't help but sense a lack of inspiration around this game. I mean (as I've said before) we already know an awful lot about the story of the "Van der Linde gang"; it was frequently discussed throughout RDR, so much so that you can go on RDR wiki and read a pretty comprehensive timeline and description of what happened. And in the end, it all served mainly as backstory to provide context to the much more compelling story of how the gangmembers came to their end in RDR.

I admit that I'm not a huge fan of prequels anyway but I think that, when they do work, they work best when telling a backstory that was beforehand mainly a mystery. Look, for example, at 'Better Call Saul' (the first season at least), which focused on the stories of characters from Breaking Bad that we knew the least/barely anything about backstory-wise. To me that worked and made for a compelling prequel because the writers had more leeway to create scenarios that weren't predetermined and so were more interesting because of that creative freedom. That's why I say "lack of inspiration"; it seems that they wanted a story that basically would write itself and mainly allow them to fit a load of action set-pieces around (in much the same way as GTA V was written). It's like we've been robbed of the "what" from the story; by this I mean we already know what is going to happen and all there is left to find out is "how" it happens, which is essentially what the speculation here is revolving around. Hell, the worst thing for me about that leak that got brought back up wasn't necessarily the spoilers themselves; it was that I'd actually already guessed that that's what would happen after having seen the trailer.

I know this is a game first and foremost, and my disappointment is alleviated somewhat by knowing that there are many aspects (the world, the systems, the physics) that make Rockstar's games what they are. It's just that it will be 8 years next Spring since Red Dead Redemption and to think that it's taken them all those years just to make a game set in barely any different a time period in the West's history and focusing on characters to whom we either already know what will happen or can make very informed guesses at. It's just disappointing what with RDR having been so unique in regards to its story, setting and themes. It really also makes you wonder how long this game has been in development hell like that leaker suggested and when they initially planned to release it; I can't imagine they themselves would have envisaged taking so long just to produce a prequel.

Again, apologies for being a bit of a downer!!

Totally agree. When i knew would be a prequel i wasn´t impresssed at all. Even though Arthur Morgan is a completely new character, i find it hard to believe Rockstar will give him an unexpected and satisfying fate, but who knows.

Of course we will only know for sure when the game is released. I really would like if they actually make a prequel, sidequel and sequel approach to this game, although i don´t believe it will happen.

i hope the game focuses on straight crime and no wacky gta-esque goverment agent villains

• Like 2

HandSoap2811

Isnt this Rockstar's first attempt at a prequel/adding to an existing story line?

I hope they do well and we wait as eagerly for RDR3 as well!

vice city and liberty city stories were both prequels

i hope the game focuses on straight crime and no wacky gta-esque goverment agent villains

Given that you're part of a gang that robs and kills other people, you're definitely going create serious enemies in the government. There is nothing wacky about this and it's authentic to the western era.

Edited by Efreet
  • Like 1

this might be a, very, long shot, but what if in the end, we fast forward to John Marston, kill our friend Arthur here, and start the RDR remaster? Wouldn't seem that far fetched, especially with RDR Online coming, obviously, along. Would also tie in the stories together and make a beautiful story arch.

​Then ofcourse Undead Nightmare pack add on, extended over the entire map -> the first one was a huge success, no reason to not redo it for this one.

Perhaps a side story add on for Dutch? Would make some sense to close the triangle.

And the obvious Online support for the years to come. Curious what it will be.

At the very least, enough options for Rockstar to take, and some of these have definitely been on the table at their office.

TheOriginalGunslinger

Anyone think "The Strange Man" makes a return? Foreshadowing events once again?

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger
  • Like 5

Hunter S. Compton

whatever the outcome, I still want to play as Arthur when the story is over

I don't think there's any question that Arthur is going to die by the end of the game, or else he would have some relevance to the second game. The question is more who will we play with afterwards. If it is John Marston, which is where I'm putting my money.

I don't actually believe it will lead into some red dead remaster but if it dead that would be the greatest reveal in the history of video gaming.

What is everyone's thoughts on that blonde woman being abigail? I recently went back and watched some cutscenes with her and the face and voice aren't exactly far off. The blonde woman has a bit of a deeper voice for sure but who knows

Nah, it was more fitting for John's path to redemption when being presented with moral choices. Bringing him back will be too samey and a play on nostalgia.

I hope the entire map isn't open from the start.

i feel like its going to be like the first one, but my assumption for the way they will do it is. The law is going to chase you 3 states at least, the first state will open where you start, then the law will chase you to the next state at some point, which will open that state up, so on and so on.

• Like 1

was there alot of black cowboys during the south in this time?

Just googled it and the first article that comes up starts with: "One in four cowboys was black. So why aren’t they more present in popular culture?"

Hunter S. Compton

Nah, it was more fitting for John's path to redemption when being presented with moral choices. Bringing him back will be too samey and a play on nostalgia.

I mean to be fair they didn't change the name of the game. Arthur is obviously a bit of an asshole based on this new trailer; maybe the game will be his own path to redemption. Maybe the Strange Man will drop hints that will be illumined in another prequel. and then another. and then another. and then we just keep going back to the dawn of man

IRL? im sure there was but don't know of any, but you always got

51HXCKQR9QL.jpg

Just googled it and the first article that comes up starts with: "One in four cowboys was black. So why aren’t they more present in popular culture?"

this thing is Cowboys aren't Outlaws, they are ranchers, there is big misconception about what "cowboys" are

Frantz Fuchs

He has to.

"I remember you from back out west"

"They chased us from the west, they chased us over the mountains"

I mean to be fair they didn't change the name of the game. Arthur is obviously a bit of an asshole based on this new trailer; maybe the game will be his own path to redemption. Maybe the Strange Man will drop hints that will be illumined in another prequel. and then another. and then another. and then we just keep going back to the dawn of man

I still think that the name has more to do with the game being a direct prequel to the original Redemption game, and as a result it's set in the same universe. I consider it a sub-story in the Red Dead series, similar to Liberty City/Vice City stories. There could also be a commercial side to it where many of the non-evangelical players will recognize the title Redemption and find it a selling point. It would be a bit hilarious to read 'Red Dead Redemption III' without connections to the Dutch universe. A successful Redemption 2 launch will further establish the Red Dead franchise's roots and any following title will sell primarily based on the Western escapism.

• Like 2

Hunter S. Compton

He has to.

"I remember you from back out west"

"They chased us from the west, they chased us over the mountains"

He more literally says "I know you from Mexico, I know you from back out west" because you previously meet him in the game in Mexico, and in New Austin, as opposed to when he says that in West Elizabeth. I think you're making a bit of a leap.

Holland_Hicks

Whitewashing.

TheOriginalGunslinger

What is everyone's thoughts on that blonde woman being abigail? I recently went back and watched some cutscenes with her and the face and voice aren't exactly far off. The blonde woman has a bit of a deeper voice for sure but who knows

Maybe. Although, a lot of people are throwing the Heidi McCourt name around.

J.Dillinger Blackheart

She resembles a Annie Stoakes to me, or a blonde Abigail. They do both have freckles idk

LegacyKillaHD

He'll be back for sure maybe one of the only side characters....maybe he'll even mention the events of RDR proving his god like status...I think It would be pretty cool

Holland_Hicks

this might be a, very, long shot, but what if in the end, we fast forward to John Marston, kill our friend Arthur here, and start the RDR remaster? Wouldn't seem that far fetched, especially with RDR Online coming, obviously, along. Would also tie in the stories together and make a beautiful story arch.

​Then ofcourse Undead Nightmare pack add on, extended over the entire map -> the first one was a huge success, no reason to not redo it for this one.

Perhaps a side story add on for Dutch? Would make some sense to close the triangle.

And the obvious Online support for the years to come. Curious what it will be.

At the very least, enough options for Rockstar to take, and some of these have definitely been on the table at their office.

I would put down serious money that they're going to expand the map with the New Austin and Mexico areas as an online update.

Rockstar Vienna

How does that sound?

October 2016: Waiting 7 months for 7 screenshots and a delay (with no info in between).

October 2017: Waiting 7 months for the release of the game (with tons of info in between).

• Like 4

Whitewashing.

not really, There was a lot of black cowboys, there wasn't many black outlaws.

https://owlcation.com/humanities/Black-Outlaws-Cowboys-And-Lawmen-Of-The-Old-West