2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Red Dead Redemption 2: Discussion & Speculation (Part 1)

Spider-Vice

^ If that's the case, he really hit rock bottom in RDR.

That's because he did. He said he use to have a wife, a business, and a full head of hair before he found that map that eventually lead him to the buried treasure that he sought after, I assume for years, but it ends up being just the glass eye.
  • Like 1

I don't wanna bump my own snow topic so I'll just drop this here...

They chased us over the mountains...

rrtrailer2_454sz9.png

I was really happy when I saw this. Snow in video games is to me what protagonists are for greenrock, lol. Since the leaked map looks like the real deal after all I think It's safe to say that at least 20% of the map will be covered with huge snowy mountains. The scene were the gang is riding in the deep snow is awesome but I'm still not 100% sure if that's really the "level of Winter" we'll get on top of those mountain ranges.

The reason for this is how Arthur tells the story... "We got lawmen in 3 different states after us. They chased us from the West, they chased us over the mountains" It feels like they came from somewhere else befor the events of RDR2 started. It feels like this could be another "North Yankton situation". A different area with tons of deep snow outside of the RDR2 map, so more of an intro mission again. Which leads to the next question... Could this actually be the beginning of the game? I'm still not 100% convinced but I really hope that the snow in the game won't just look like white paint again.

I think it's possible the setting is three different states.

In the small bit of information Rockstar gave they mentioned it will take place in the "rugged heart of America" which to me means a region.

I hope we get a map along the lines of Ghost Recon Wildlands (which for me is one of the most impressive rural settings in a game). It had so much variation from snowy mountain areas to jungles to salt flats etc.

If John was 38 in the first game, RDR2 takes place 15 - 20 years before so John will most likely be in his late teens, early 20's.

• Like 4

If John was 38 in the first game, RDR2 takes place 15 - 20 years before so John will most likely be in his late teens, early 20's.

I hope that a younger John Marston is voiced by the same actor who played Jack Marston just so I can hear, "Work ya damn nag!" again.

I hope that a younger John Marston is voiced by the same actor who played Jack Marston just so I can hear, "Work ya damn nag!" again.

Rob Wiethoff will always be John Marston!

Edited by MostWantedMVP
  • Like 6

The Notorious MOB

I asked that we play a anti hero, Yes finally! Villians and Anti hero always have a better story line and narrative at least to me. That's even if you can come up with a captivating, well intergrated storyline for a villian as a protagonist, that's why most games go the hero route.

I believe A.Morgan will be memorable character, i already gravitate more towards his character than John. I wonder why this ledger even exist in the first place.. Why do all these people presumably owe Dutch money anyway? This is going to be another masterpiece!

I am assuming Dutch and the gang have a racket of sorts.

They intimidate people into giving them money in exchange for "protection", which obviously is a lie. The ledger is just the list of people that are supposed to pay up for this false, unneeded "protection".

Aka they are the mafia of the Old West.

In Redemption 1 John says the gang robbed from the rich and gave to the poor. I don't think that's the whole story though. I think they give to the poor but only as temporarily, and then charge them high interest rates and bully them into paying it back.

Also this is kind of unrelated but it seems that Ross (assuming it is Ross) has some sort of hold over Arthur. "You're a wanted man Mr. Morgan" what if he uses him in a similar way to how he used John. Agreeing to grant him clemency should he snitch on his friends.. leading to them killing him in the end. This would then lead them to seek out a new patsy in John.

• Like 1

^ That's possible. John was trying to liveout the rest of his days as a law abiding normal guy by owning a ranch and raising his son to prevent him from becoming like him. Ross saw that and took advantage of that just so he could get a shiny medal for when he takes all the credit for wiping out the rest of Dutch's gang even though he made Marston do it for him and then betray him in the end once he got what he wanted from Marston.

• Like 2

Loan Sharks of the Wild West? If they can't pay their debts, do they have to mop the floor? :p

Edited by B Dawg
  • Like 2

The Notorious MOB

^ That's possible. John was trying to liveout the rest of his days as a law abiding normal guy by owning a ranch and raising his son to prevent him from becoming like him. Ross saw that and took advantage of that just so he could get a shiny medal for when he takes all the credit for wiping out the rest of Dutch's gang even though he made Marston do it for him and then betray him in the end once he got what he wanted from Marston.

Yeah basically it's reflection of what the modern FBI do with the Mafia. They either send a member of the organisation back in wired up or get them to verbally rat on others and then offer them a life on a ranch somewhere with their family. Essentially making their job a whole lot easier. The loansharking/protection racket also perpetuates this comparison.

• Like 2

I asked that we play a anti hero, Yes finally! Villians and Anti hero always have a better story line and narrative at least to me. That's even if you can come up with a captivating, well intergrated storyline for a villian as a protagonist, that's why most games go the hero route.

I believe A.Morgan will be memorable character, i already gravitate more towards his character than John. I wonder why this ledger even exist in the first place.. Why do all these people presumably owe Dutch money anyway? This is going to be another masterpiece!

They intimidate people into giving them money in exchange for "protection", which obviously is a lie. The ledger is just the list of people that are supposed to pay up for this false, unneeded "protection".

In Redemption 1 John says the gang robbed from the rich and gave to the poor. I don't think that's the whole story though. I think they give to the poor but only as temporarily, and then charge them high interest rates and bully them into paying it back.

Also this is kind of unrelated but it seems that Ross (assuming it is Ross) has some sort of hold over Arthur. "You're a wanted man Mr. Morgan" what if he uses him in a similar way to how he used John. Agreeing to grant him clemency should he snitch on his friends.. leading to them killing him in the end. This would then lead them to seek out a new patsy in John.

The past life of the gang was described the same as that of a Robin Hood figure, or at least this is how John said it on his tongue. But seeing Dutch enjoying himself in the trailer with engraved pistols and expensive clothing, it seems that there was more to their past than what we were told, and the Robin Hood characterization isn't quite right. And in regards to the phrase 'you're wanted man, Mr.Morgan', I don't know, but I assumed it's the boy who said it to Arthur as a confrontation because the voice seems to fit him as a young boy.

HunterOfHunters

So, in terms of trailer, screenshots, more info, what can we expect now? If the game does coem out in Spring, I think we should get more news in November/December.

The Dedito Gae

It's annoying how a prequel has the number two on the title.

The Notorious MOB

The past life of the gang was described the same as that of a Robin Hood figure, or at least this is how John said it on his tongue. But seeing Dutch enjoying himself in the trailer with engraved pistols and expensive clothing, it seems that there was more to their past than what we were told, and the Robin Hood characterization isn't quite right. And in regards to the phrase 'you're wanted man, Mr.Morgan', I don't know, but I assumed it's the boy who said it to Arthur as a confrontation because the voice seems to fit him as a young boy.

It's not uncommon for gang members to romanticize their leader. They need to constantly find reasons to keep following them so it's necessary to skew the facts in this way. I think just by looking at Dutch as he is in this game we know that there's more to his supposed character than meets the eye.

I could easily see Ross making an appearance in RDR2. How I can see the story playing out is that Ross, being the bastard that he is, finds someone within Dutch's gang that has the most to lose. Which at the time is Arthur, I assume. Then he uses whatever he holds dear as leverage just so he can exploit him just as he does to John later on. Ross then uses Arthur to undermine Dutch in some sort of way. Dutch realises that someone in his gang is working for the feds which causes him to descend into madness and he becomes highly paranoid because of it. He figures out that it's Arthur and Arthur flees and goes into hiding somewhere, possibly up around Tall Trees. Which is possibly why Dutch ends up there as it's never really explained as to why Dutch goes to Tall Trees in the first place. Anyways, the rest of the gang breaks up after that one infamous Ferry robbery goes wrong and they leave John to die as is told in RDR1. With Arthur missing and Ross still wanting to achieve his goal, albeit failing to achieve it the first time, he ends up finding his new opportunity to do so. He finds John and exploits him just as he did to Arthur. Which of course all of this eventually leads to the events of RDR1.

Kind of like Godfather 2, which is technically both prequel and sequel. I prefer that to giving it the Star Wars treatment, which would be if they retroactively named this one Red Dead Redemption and changed the old game to Red Dead Redemption II. Just be thankful they didn't call it 'Red Dead Redemption: Origins'

Edited by Dick Justice
  • Like 2

J.Dillinger Blackheart

Soo guys here seem to really want a RDR 1 2.0.? Why would R* use the same plot in another game. I hope to god edgar ross has absolutely nothing to do with this game. He wasn't anyone of any substance in part 1.

• Like 3

Sure, you could argue it doesn't make sense from a story perspective. But this isn't a movie, it's a game and it's continuing the mechanics and themes established in Red Dead Redemption, hence the name Red Dead Redemption 2.

Also I'm pretty sure besides being a prequel, it's going to be the redemption story of Arthur Morgan.

Soo guys here seem to really want a RDR 1 2.0.? Why would R* use the same plot in another game. I hope to god edgar ross has absolutely nothing to do with this game. He wasn't anyone of any substance in part 1.

I think it's a consequence of not really knowing what the story even is yet and at the same time wanting to know how it relates to the old game. It's like when GTAV's first trailer came out and everyone thought Michael was Tommy Vercetti, the black-guy running from the chopper was CJ and the random hobo was Niko. People create connections out of seemingly nothing. Pretty soon, someone will theorise that Arthur Morgan is actually Uncle...

• Like 7

Tall Trees Sasquatch

You have to be joking there right? He's one of the major reasons Marston is hunting his old gang. He's also the person you have to kill to end the game.

Also the voice that says "You're a wanted man Mr Morgan" sounds so much like Edgar Ross it's uncanny, I'll be genuinely shocked if it's not him.

There's a chance he's in this game if it leads to the plot of RDR 1.

Edited by Tall Trees Sasquatch

By the way, after at least a dozen more viewings, I really like the music in the trailer. It definitely sounds like Woody Jackson to me.

• Like 4

J.Dillinger Blackheart

You have to be joking there right? He's one of the major reasons Marston is hunting his old gang. Im talking about him as a character in rdr. His dialogue and everything about him was weak, the best part he had in the game was lighting the cigar at the end imo.

So just in case noone else noticed ... R* actually uploaded two versions of the RDR2 Trailer 2 on their youtube channel ... the first version is the standard one, the 2nd version has the PS4 treatment at the end of it > already over 18 million!!! views. If we combine the views of both we are over 20 million views in less than two days ... holy sh*t! The hype is real!

Crazy numbers indeed. It's interesting how good the second RDR2 trailer is doing if you compare it to the second GTA V trailer (in comparison to the first GTA V trailer). It definitely has the potential to become Rockstar's most viewed trailer. I'd say it will make it to the top sometime later this year.

1. GTA V Trailer: 49.000.000 almost 6 years old

2. GTA V: Official Gameplay Video: 34.000.000 4 years old

3. GTA V: Official Trailer #2: 24.000.000 almost 5 years old

4. RDR2: Official Trailer #2: 19.000.000 not even 2 days old

5. RDR2 Official Trailer: 15.000.000 almost 1 year old

It is because that trailer is an ad so of course it will have that numbers.

• Like 2

I think this is the first time in any Rockstar game we'll be playing as a cold blooded intimidating type of character. I think the only other person who ever came close to that is Trevor but he was kind of a clown and hobo at the same time so I never really took him serious.

• Like 6

So just in case noone else noticed ... R* actually uploaded two versions of the RDR2 Trailer 2 on their youtube channel ... the first version is the standard one, the 2nd version has the PS4 treatment at the end of it > already over 18 million!!! views. If we combine the views of both we are over 20 million views in less than two days ... holy sh*t! The hype is real!

Crazy numbers indeed. It's interesting how good the second RDR2 trailer is doing if you compare it to the second GTA V trailer (in comparison to the first GTA V trailer). It definitely has the potential to become Rockstar's most viewed trailer. I'd say it will make it to the top sometime later this year.

1. GTA V Trailer: 49.000.000 almost 6 years old

2. GTA V: Official Gameplay Video: 34.000.000 4 years old

3. GTA V: Official Trailer #2: 24.000.000 almost 5 years old

4. RDR2: Official Trailer #2: 19.000.000 not even 2 days old

5. RDR2 Official Trailer: 15.000.000 almost 1 year old

True, that's where most of the views come from

• Like 2

Rockstar Vienna

I know. And so was the first trailer and trailers back when GTA V came out. But this time it looks like R* is really pushing it.

I think Arthur is Uncle from RDR

Not likely. I remember John and Jack discussing Uncle during a mission in RDR. If I remember correctly, they mentioned that Uncle had always looked old, even during John's youth. Arthur looks far younger than Uncle here.

• Like 1