2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Red Dead Redemption 2: Discussion & Speculation (Part 1)

Spider-Vice

Spider-Vice

This week isn't looking too good. On to next week.

We may get something next week, nothing big coming out... if not I think first half of April. I don't personally see the point in releasing something with just 2 weeks before your fiscal year ends

I doubt they will talk about RDR2 at the same time their new precious GTA Online Special Vehicle Race DLC comes out. But surprise me, R*.

• Like 4

image.pngut_dog.png   image.png

let your hopes and dreams turn into burning fire!

Red Dead Network | GTANet | kifflom

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

Father Girth

I agree they'll be pushing more Online next week but we have to remember that at some point GTA Online announcements and RDR2 trailers, news, etc. will have to coexist.

Also, I haven't been in this topic since October so I've got a lot to read through!:)

I agree they'll be pushing more Online next week but we have to remember that at some point GTA Online announcements and RDR2 trailers, news, etc. will have to coexist.

Also, I haven't been in this topic since October so I've got a lot to read through!:)

You haven't really missed out on much
  • Like 2

Dee-account-with-1kbans

if they shove rdr2 away for a 4 year old online component of a game with an abysmal fanbase, then ill be f*cking pissed. Please R* give us what we need

Edited by DeeDogg_
  • Like 2

J.Dillinger Blackheart

This week isn't looking too good. On to next week.

We may get something next week, nothing big coming out... if not I think first half of April. I don't personally see the point in releasing something with just 2 weeks before your fiscal year ends

I'm still betting on nothing until May. That's at least 52 days from now. I'm with ya, nothing til may

Dee-account-with-1kbans

#MayOrDelay

If we get our first info since October in May, then the game is definitely delayed. Mid-April the absolute latest.

TheOriginalGunslinger

Red Dead Redemption 2. Tuesday. October 31, 2017.

Why, idk? Think of it as Rockstar's own "Undead Nightmare" on that specific day. :D

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger

How are you guys feeling about RDR 2? I am worried that this game will have very little story and will be mainly online becuase the only reason why gta 5 had a story was becuase of The Benz. This is shown becuase if it is true that The Benz was working on a single player DLC before he left then why would Rockstar not continue to make it? Seems that Rockstar thought that if they make more money on online then why would they work on Single Player? This is just a theory but maybe after they realized this they abandoned Single Player and worked on online. So if this is true then why would they need to work on the story on RDR 2 if they will probably make more money on RDR online if it is like GTA Online so they will probably Focus less on Single Player and work more on online just like gta 5 but with even less story. This is just a theory but still interesting.

Dick Justice

#MayOrDelay

If we get our first info since October in May, then the game is definitely delayed. Mid-April the absolute latest.

I'm not sure I agree. There seems to be a growing sense in the industry that long, drawn out marketing campaigns don't work as well as short and sharp, starting a few months before the game release. Fallout 4 sold exceptionally well despite being announced 5 months prior to release. Mass Effect Andromeda has been known about for a while, but marketing didn't truly begin until December of last year for a game coming out in a few weeks.

So with Red Dead Redemption, a May start for an October release is extremely feaseable. Beyond that, I think it's delayed, hence #MayOrDelay.

• Like 2

Dee-account-with-1kbans

How are you guys feeling about RDR 2? I am worried that this game will have very little story and will be mainly online becuase the only reason why gta 5 had a story was becuase of The Benz. This is shown becuase if it is true that The Benz was working on a single player DLC before he left then why would Rockstar not continue to make it? Seems that Rockstar thought that if they make more money on online then why would they work on Single Player? This is just a theory but maybe after they realized this they abandoned Single Player and worked on online. So if this is true then why would they need to work on the story on RDR 2 if they will probably make more money on RDR online if it is like GTA Online so they will probably Focus less on Single Player and work more on online just like gta 5 but with even less story. This is just a theory but still interesting.

giphy.gif

#MayOrDelay

I'm not sure I agree. There seems to be a growing sense in the industry that long, drawn out marketing campaigns don't work as well as short and sharp, starting a few months before the game release. Fallout 4 sold exceptionally well despite being announced 5 months prior to release. Mass Effect Andromeda has been known about for a while, but marketing didn't truly begin until December of last year for a game coming out in a few weeks.

So with Red Dead Redemption, a May start for an October release is extremely feaseable. Beyond that, I think it's delayed, hence #MayOrDelay.

Why the f*ck would they announce it in October then? Thats just irritating and not the right way to go about it. They're just having us wait just for the sake of having us wait. They could have pulled a Fallout 4 and announced it in May and have it release in the fall. It wouldnt have been so bad

giphy.gif

I said that "if it is true" and "this is only a theory" The Benz is a very important part of Rockstar so that is why GTA 5 had a semi GOOD story.

Edited by *DERGaming

Dick Justice

#MayOrDelay

Why the f*ck would they announce it in October then? Thats just irritating and not the right way to go about it. They're just having us wait just for the sake of having us wait. They could have pulled a Fallout 4 and announced it in May and have it release in the fall. It wouldnt have been so bad

If I had to hazard a guess, Take-Two needed to show their shareholders Rockstar were working on something big, combined with the fact they wanted to get pre-orders rolling in so they could make sales projections. Remember, they aren't really marketing the game to us - the superfans who are chomping at the bits and likely to buy the game regardless of their marketing campaign.

Edited by Dick Justice

Dee-account-with-1kbans

giphy.gif

I said that "if it is true" and "this is only a theory" The Benz is a very important part of Rockstar so that is why GTA 5 had a semi GOOD story.

You also said "The only reason GTAV had a story was becuase of The Benz" which is utter horse sh*t. That guys way too over glorified here. I mean, sure he was an important part of of the whole company, but the game didnt have a campaign because of him. In fact, it was him who opted for GTAV to have an online component similar to GTAO. He also wasnt the reason the game had a 'semi-good story'. A videogame campaign is made up of more than just design. Its the narrative, flow, and characters that pull it all together. And as far as I know, Leslie was only a gameplay designer that may or may have not saved Red Dead Redemption from being disastrous.

• Like 1

Folks like to praise The Benz and give credit for being the last bastion of single player story or whatever for GTAV and yet GTA Online, apparently with its ever growing community and existence that's a bane to some, was the brainchild of The Benz and what it is today is what he spoke about those 3 odd years ago. lol

giphy.gif

#MayOrDelay

Share holders, I mean we all expected the announcement then, and likely they wanted to have the announcement within a 12 month window of release.

October keeps coming up and even Jason at Kotaku mentioned it off the cuff this week that perhaps it could be the month we're looking at. If that's the case then at the earliest I'd expect Rockstar to break their silence next month so it's a 6 month window to release. At the latest though? Hell maybe June.

Edit: Seriously? The Benz gets corrected to as The Benz automatically? Jesus christ, people grow up.

Edited by DGSimo

Dee-account-with-1kbans

Fuuuuuck.

I hope you guys arent right, DG and Dick Justice :(

I dont think I can wait till May to here the next bit of info

Could happen though. Last week of April to first week of May? That's when Take Two will have their next investors call so Rockstar might make some announcements or one big one with a release date since the call with discuss the end of fiscal 2017 which is at the end of this month and obviously the beginning of fiscal 2018, which they said RDR2 would be release before the end of.

• Like 1

Folks like to praise The Benz and give credit for being the last bastion of single player story or whatever for GTAV and yet GTA Online, apparently with its ever growing community and existence that's a bane to some, was the brainchild of The Benz and what it is today is what he spoke about those 3 odd years ago. lol

giphy.gif

#MayOrDelay

Share holders, I mean we all expected the announcement then, and likely they wanted to have the announcement within a 12 month window of release.

October keeps coming up and even Jason at Kotaku mentioned it off the cuff this week that perhaps it could be the month we're looking at. If that's the case then at the earliest I'd expect Rockstar to break their silence next month so it's a 6 month window to release. At the latest though? Hell maybe June.

Edit: Seriously? The Benz gets corrected to as The Benz automatically? Jesus christ, people grow up.

Now that I think about it you are correct sorry. I didn't even really like GTA 5 and I still think the previous games are better now I can rest easy.

Rockstar Vienna

I'd love some news too... but the wait isn't killing me this time tbh. Maybe because there are many great games out there atm or because time really flies, idk. Almost 150 days! have passed since the reveal trailer! Now add another 150 days and we're already in the middle of August and maybe just a few weeks away (if we're confident) from RDR2's release.

Dee-account-with-1kbans

The Benz

LOL It does auto correct to 'The Benz' :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by DeeDogg_

Rockstar Vienna

The Benz

You just realised that!?

Dee-account-with-1kbans

The Benz

You just realised that!?

Yea lmao

• Like 3

#MayOrDelay

If one wants to predict the future with some assurance of being correct, one can say, with no additional information whatsoever, that any given big Rockstar title will be delayed from its original announcement, and have a 90% chance of being right.

I'm going to be rarely optimistic here, and hope that the Rockstar creatives have enough professional pride to actually want to deliver a Western story that stands with the best movie and TV Westerns.

These games are few and far between, so they should be motivated to make a special effort on the story. It defines a generation of gaming. They should be able to gather up all the ideas they probably left on the cutting room floor from RDR, plus stealing all the good concepts, scenarios, characters and plots from the last 30 years of good Westerns, and come up with *something* good. Plus, of course, getting the atmosphere right, like they did in RDR.

On the other hand, let's look at the RDR DLC. All those good ideas and brainstorms that they probably had left over from the gestation of RDR, so many things that they would have had time and motivation to develop and do right, and all they came up with was f*cking zombies.

• Like 2

Dee-account-with-1kbans

#MayOrDelay

If one wants to predict the future with some assurance of being correct, one can say, with no additional information whatsoever, that any given big Rockstar title will be delayed from its original announcement, and have a 90% chance of being right.

I'm going to be rarely optimistic here, and hope that the Rockstar creatives have enough professional pride to actually want to deliver a Western story that stands with the best movie and TV Westerns.

These games are few and far between, so they should be motivated to make a special effort on the story. It defines a generation of gaming. They should be able to gather up all the ideas they probably left on the cutting room floor from RDR, plus stealing all the good concepts, scenarios, characters and plots from the last 30 years of good Westerns, and come up with *something* good. Plus, of course, getting the atmosphere right, like they did in RDR.

On the other hand, let's look at the RDR DLC. All those good ideas and brainstorms that they probably had left over from the gestation of RDR, so many things that they would have had time and motivation to develop and do right, and all they came up with was f*cking zombies.

Fantastic post. I dont know if I'm in denial of GTAV being questionable in terms of quality, but I can excuse a handful of its problems as being limited by last generation hardware. Like the physics, amount of interiors, Ai, etc. But then again, when it comes to writing, level design, character development, and overall map design, Im kind of cautious about Red Dead 2. I really want a game with a great story that binds us to its characters and world. I didnt get that in V. Most of the time I felt bored out of my mind in SP after the campaign because cop chases werent even fun for me and the h2h combat is just...laughable. I loved exploring the map but, then again, its design ruined it for me to. So much useless mountains and areas that are just too cluttered together really f*ck up the sense of discovery. It was a bad idea having highways going through each and every angle around the map. You can never get lost and take in the atmosphere that R* created.

I tend to ramble when I write long posts like this but, I hope R* really really acknowledges all the feedback and criticism from us here when creating their games. It can go a along way. As great as I think GTAV is, its a blunder in many areas. Theres many things R* can do build upon their mistakes in RDR2, and their other upcoming games.

Oh and P.S.: Dont make this game online focused :)

J.Dillinger Blackheart

#MayOrDelay

I'm predicting that No news until May too. I think even with Rdr2 more than likely being in development for a while I still believe a slight delay is imminent. But I also think that with R* having at least a release window they pretty much have the game complete maybe and just have to tweak a few things, testing etc. But my guess early or late November and that's being optimistic.

Also, I'm hoping R* nails it with story DLC possibly Map expansion, story expansion even a U.N.2 Dlc would be great imo but I trust r* are going to deliver a absolute great game.

"Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland."

The notion that they've abandoned SP is either because GTA V has received no single player DLC, or it's just people meme-y trolling. Who knows what the real reason for no SP DLC was, what we do know is that they had worked on it at some point but it's entirely possible they just weren't happy with it, they do have high standards after all.

But to suggest that they've suddenly lost faith in single player as a viable model for financial success is bonkers. Many of the most successful and acclaimed video games today are single player. One in particular has just carried an entire console launch on it's back and is being hailed as possibly the greatest game of all time. GTA V shattered records because of it's single player (no one knew what Online would be like), RDR1 is regarded as one of the greatest games of all time because of it's single player. Hell, if you're to really read into the Rockstar "mythos" and their ego and pride, then they're going to want to go all out with the SP because MP games very very rarely receive awards outside their genre (multiplayer), and fewer receive universal acclaim. Overwatch was the exception, helped by the fact 2016 was a fairly average year for games.

Basically, don't worry dood.

There's gaming industry awards, which are nice, and then on the other hand there's a goldmine of "recurrent consumer spending" by Online players. I think the shareholders prefer recurrent consumer spending over awards.

I agree that GTAV is an incredible masterpiece. But that's true with or without the story mode. Rockstar could sell a new map with an online-only mode, and market it with cutscenes from a few online mission givers, and it would probably sell as well.

On the other hand, RDR2 needs a story, an epic story, to surpass RDR and take its place in gaming history.

Edited by saintsrow
  • Like 2

Dee-account-with-1kbans

"Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland."

The notion that they've abandoned SP is either because GTA V has received no single player DLC, or it's just people meme-y trolling. Who knows what the real reason for no SP DLC was, what we do know is that they had worked on it at some point but it's entirely possible they just weren't happy with it, they do have high standards after all.

But to suggest that they've suddenly lost faith in single player as a viable model for financial success is bonkers. Many of the most successful and acclaimed video games today are single player. One in particular has just carried an entire console launch on it's back and is being hailed as possibly the greatest game of all time. GTA V shattered records because of it's single player (no one knew what Online would be like), RDR1 is regarded as one of the greatest games of all time because of it's single player. Hell, if you're to really read into the Rockstar "mythos" and their ego and pride, then they're going to want to go all out with the SP because MP games very very rarely receive awards outside their genre (multiplayer), and fewer receive universal acclaim. Overwatch was the exception, helped by the fact 2016 was a fairly average year for games.

Basically, don't worry dood.

Ehh not quite. I think part of it has to do with the fact that R* strongly hinted towards SP DLC and even the voice actors posted pics of them in mocap suits and we still didnt get anything. Also, I think it has to do with the fact that GTAO has more content and support than the barebones campaign with the half-assed endings

I've no worries that Dan Houser and co-writers are writing an epic tale for RDR2, a story that will be on par with what RDR offered 7 years ago at least. You also have Zelnick of T2 emphasizing that the game will provide 'incredible emotional depth and great story elements'. I would argue that the story, well-written Western archetypes and the beautiful rural landscape are the selling point of the game, unlike Grand Theft Auto which has always been about random fun and chaos as far as the average player is concerned.

• Like 2

It looks as though Take-Two have their "end of year results and future projections" conference around 18th May each year. Of course, they aren't going to give any details about RDR2, but that'll be 7 months after the first announcement of the game and 4-5 months before the "fall 2017" period officially begins. At that point, if we don't have any new information it will not only be fans who are foaming at the mouth about what's going on with Rockstar Games, but also the shareholders. Even though GTA V is still selling very well, adding a new game that could sell 20 million copies is going to be in their interests, and even during the Q&A part of that quarter call in February they all wanted something more secure about when it is coming.

For this reason, I think April could be our month. 6 months after announcement, 6 months before October. We could get a May Game Informer cover announcement in early April, with them opening a hub of online articles and screenshots about the game and then the mag itself coming out at the end of the month with the proper write-up. If no GI cover, then we could get some screenshots, artwork, or at least a second trailer from Rockstar themselves, with perhaps confirmation of the release date or re-affirming the release window, all leading very nicely up to the Take-Two conference where they can openly project how much more money they think they'll earn per share for the new fiscal year. All unless something really drastic has changed with their plans for fall....

We're only 10 days into March, but my optimism for anything this month is pretty low now, since they will likely be dropping the new cars for GTA Online.

fib_ufo_small.png