2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Spider-Vice

Red Dead Redemption 2: Discussion & Speculation (Part 1)

Spider-Vice

This thread has been locked and is in the process of being split due to its sheer size causing problems in the forum database. Please see the latest post and use Part 2 to continue the discussion.

Message added by Spider-Vice

Hmm. If poker is in the game, & microtransactions that include 'buying ingame currency', could that end up being a problem for them??

I think so. That would be one way you and another player could exchange money, one player can intentionally lose.

That's the reason I didn't like the poker as much as most, there was nothing at stake. Everyone all-in on every hand. That's no fun.

TheOriginalGunslinger

I hope the ending to the story wont be a mess like GTA V

PEOPLE!! Red Dead Redemption II isn't going to be a carbon copy of GTA V's "STORY"... lol :D GTA V has really messed with some of y'alls heads.

Edit.

Edited by Dexter_Morgan

SofaKingWet

Hmm. If poker is in the game, & microtransactions that include 'buying ingame currency', could that end up being a problem for them??

I think so. That would be one way you and another player could exchange money, one player can intentionally lose.

That's the reason I didn't like the poker as much as most, there was nothing at stake. Everyone all-in on every hand. That's no fun.

they could make it where you exchange money for chips and you can spend the chips on exclusive items. maybe a way around it.... i really hope they do bring poker back, and online

Sobchak

PEOPLE!! Red Dead Redemption II isn't going to be a carbon copy of GTA V... lol :D

Yeah it won't but it will include many game mechanics from GTA V. The story is still written by Dan Houser as it has been for every Rockstar title since GTA III. The issue of microtransactions may be the reason for the delay. They are banking a lot on the success of Red Dead Online, they also don't want to piss off their fan base.

TheOriginalGunslinger

PEOPLE!! Red Dead Redemption II isn't going to be a carbon copy of GTA V... lol :D

Yeah it won't but it will include many game mechanics from GTA V. The story is still written by Dan Houser as it has been for every Rockstar title since GTA III. The issue of microtransactions may be the reason for the delay. They are banking a lot on the success of Red Dead Online, they also don't want to piss off their fan base.

Did you really need to slide in the Dan Houser thing in there? I'm fully aware of that... lol

The mechanics won't be that similar (there probably will be some actually so I agree) but considering this game is built from the ground up on these newer generation consoles (which GTA V was not) there will be tweaks and building upon said mechanics.

I was actually quoting that guy when he mentioned he wouldn't want the ending to the story be a mess like GTA V was. That's what I was trying to mention. I didn't mention anything about game mechanics.

Edit: I'll go back to edit my original post. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Dexter_Morgan

DexMacLeod

Maybe the gang really did think that they were 'wild west robin hoods' of sorts, only to find out that Dutch was secretly keeping all the money for himself(look at his appearance in RDR2). This might explain why both Bill and Javier "took it hard" as John so often remarks. The man they so admired and had all looked up to was a fraud, and they felt betrayed. This could also tie-in to a theory I've seen passed around which is that the burning mansion belongs to Dutch, and that it might be the fire he is rumored to have perished in.

Geez, it's almost 1:30, I need to get to bed...

It's funny..I also thought it might have been Dutch's mansion. But why would he roam around from camp to camp then and choose to live a harsh life? I mean even when on the run from the law, he still could've set up some better places to stay if he was that wealthy.

I'm one of the people who think it's his mansion too. I kind of see it as Dutch has slowly been getting more and more materialistic and it's what's driving the wedge in the gang.

I'm guessing he doesn't buy the mansion but rather takes it from someone who owes him money or something. When he decides to keep it and live there that's when the rest of the gang decides he's not the man he used to be and they turn on him.

-snip-

Honestly I hope Dutch turns out to be a man of ideals and not some kind of cult leader fraud. i feel like it would make the story that much more deep. its one thing to be a crazy charismatic leader, its another to actually have morals and be able to convince other people of those things and strive to push them no matter what. the latter of the two is much more admirable in my opinion and i think it would make for a more complex story if you play the games in chronological order.

I think it'd be more interesting if he used to be a man of ideals but has lost his way. As civilization creeps its way across the country it brings with it materialism and consumerism. Maybe he gets frustrated trying to live that simple life by that simple code in a world where money equals power and just gets swept up in all of it.

Edited by DexMacLeod

Rockstar Vienna

...only to find out that Dutch was secretly keeping all the money for himself(look at his appearance in RDR2). This might explain why both Bill and Javier "took it hard" as John so often remarks. The man they so admired and had all looked up to was a fraud, and they felt betrayed. This could also tie-in to a theory I've seen passed around which is that the burning mansion belongs to Dutch, and that it might be the fire he is rumored to have perished in.

This is what I thought too after trailer 2. If it's really Dutch's mansion it would be one hell of a spoiler already tho. So I'm not so sure anymore tbh. And while I think that Dutch lived a great life, a mansion would be a bit too much maybe!? Hard to say.

A story theory:

Dutch seems a bit worried when he asks Arthur if he got his back. This could mean people betrayed Dutch or left his gang recently and it's slowly falling apart. This cutscene could happen a bit later into RDR2's story. But what happened exactly? Is it possible that this is the time when the failed robbery happened, when John left the gang and Bill later formed his own gang? Dutch looks pretty slick in the trailer. His rings, his fine clothes... So I bet he also had a really nice house. Again, it's just a theory but I think the big white house could actually be Dutch's. In one scene you can see Arthur catching the horse in front of the house. This could mean that he also worked for Dutch on his property (similar to how John worked for Bonnie). In the other scene you can see 3 people burning down the same house (it really looks like the same building). The unknown guy in the middle, Arthur and Bill! And this is where it all comes down to my theory:

(It happened either before or after the time of the cutscene with Dutch and Arthur and shortly after the failed robbery in 1906.) Bill and Arthur turned against Dutch and actually burned his house down. In the cutscene it also seems like Arthur isn't really honest to Dutch. Like he's hiding something or is up to something. All this makes me believe that we could actually see John and the failed robbery at some point in the game too. What speaks against all this tho is Dutch's age. In the the trailer he looks at least 10-15 years younger compared to the events of RDR (1911). But maybe the explanation for this is his horrible life he had to live after the events of RDR2. He lost his home, his status, he was on the run all the time. Living conditions that definitely make you age a lot faster (And it's not like video games are perfect).

Again... all this is just a wild theory and maybe I'm missing somthing important here and all this doesn't add up anyway... But I think it would make and interesting plot. In RDR John (the good guy) got betrayed by Ross. In RDR2 Arthur (this time the bad guy) betrays Dutch.

saintsrow

PEOPLE!! Red Dead Redemption II isn't going to be a carbon copy of GTA V's "STORY"... lol :D GTA V has really messed with some of y'alls heads.

Edit.

Well, hey ... if I were the money-grubbing CEO of a corporation that just made almost $3B of pure profit from game sales, on a game that continues to generate $500M per year via "recurrent consumer spending," I'd be thinking, "Hmmmm, how can we pull off this kind of mind-blowing profit windfall again? Maybe we should make this cowboy game look like a carbon copy of GTAV ... don't screw with success, they always say."

Nobody wants to be the one guy in the Rockstar brainstorming meeting who said, "Hey, guys, let's not make RDR2 a carbon copy of GTAV. The three protag idea was a bust. The story was incoherent, phoned-in fluff. So many lost opportunities to really leverage the incredible GTAV virtual world. A million good stories were left untold."

He continues, "I think we should build the RDR2 story from the ground up, as an honest, deep exploration of western themes, man versus nature, the transition from the Old West lawlessness to civilized society, good versus evil, the nature of honor. You know, let's make an uncompromising artistic masterpiece, to match the fantastic beauty of the virtual world design. Let's do it right. It'll probably sell OK. The players like good stories, right?"

Complete silence in the room. Everybody looks around to see the others' reactions. Did anybody actually hear what this nutcase just said? He'll be out the door, on the street, by this afternoon. Then the manager running the meeting breaks the silence, "OK, so we've got our three protags, Dutch, Bill and Arthur, right? And they have all these petty, over-dramatized conflicts. Just crank out some missions based on that premise, and we're good, OK? Right, done with the story discussion. Now, lets talk about the Online PvP. That's where the money is. How many ways can we blow sh*t up, in the Old West?"

Safari

Edit.

Well, hey ... if I were the money-grubbing CEO of a corporation that just made almost $3B of pure profit from game sales, on a game that continues to generate $500M per year via "recurrent consumer spending," I'd be thinking, "Hmmmm, how can we pull off this kind of mind-blowing profit windfall again? Maybe we should make this cowboy game look like a carbon copy of GTAV ... don't screw with success, they always say."

Nobody wants to be the one guy in the Rockstar brainstorming meeting who said, "Hey, guys, let's not make RDR2 a carbon copy of GTAV. The three protag idea was a bust. The story was incoherent, phoned-in fluff. So many lost opportunities to really leverage the incredible GTAV virtual world. A million good stories were left untold."

He continues, "I think we should build the RDR2 story from the ground up, as an honest, deep exploration of western themes, man versus nature, the transition from the Old West lawlessness to civilized society, good versus evil, the nature of honor. You know, let's make an uncompromising artistic masterpiece, to match the fantastic beauty of the virtual world design. Let's do it right. It'll probably sell OK. The players like good stories, right?"

Complete silence in the room. Everybody looks around to see the others' reactions. Did anybody actually hear what this nutcase just said? He'll be out the door, on the street, by this afternoon. Then the manager running the meeting breaks the silence, "OK, so we've got our three protags, Dutch, Bill and Arthur, right? And they have all these petty, over-dramatized conflicts. Just crank out some missions based on that premise, and we're good, OK? Right, done with the story discussion. Now, lets talk about the Online PvP. That's where the money is. How many ways can we blow sh*t up, in the Old West?"

Where are you getting info like this lmao a company doesn't work like this, you have to understand that GTA has always been a success and even with it being the same franchise they still manage to make it incredible and different each time. RDR2 is set in the wild west a very old time compared to GTA making it very hard for this game to be a carbon copy of GTAV. Another thing you must note is that if they create an identical game to GTAV set in the wild west you must wonder they must do it with the next open world game and the next one until the consumer gets bored and moves on, I doubt R* wants to ruin their reputation but continuing to copy games, its not a good way to make long term profit. Lastly remember R* isn't going to just milk money from RDR2 not only will that be difficult but they also have another game they can easily milk... GTAonline, they will continue milking this game until the community of this game dies or the next GTA or open world game comes into the spotlight after RDR2.

Edited by Safari

TheOriginalGunslinger

I never said anything about sales, companies, blah, blah, blah... lol

I was only replying to the guy who mentioned he didn't want THE ENDING OF THE STORY (LAST MISSION) to be like how it was in GTA V. Where are you getting this sale talk from?

I enjoy video games for the entertainment so please miss me with that this company vs that company talk and sales. That's a totally different subject. I'd rather just discuss Red Dead Redemption II in here and leave the sales/company talk in another thread.

Edited by Dexter_Morgan

Safari

I never said anything about sales, companies, blah, blah, blah... lol

I was only replying to the guy who mentioned he didn't want THE ENDING OF THE STORY (LAST MISSION) to be like how it was in GTA V. Where are you getting this sale talk from?

i don't know if your talking to me but I'm just replaying to saints row and explaining what he said what kind of idiotic (just my opinion)

Edited by Safari