3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Is it time for Dan Houser to pass the writing torch

greenrock

I think alot of his writing is getting repetitive and too similar to his other work, at least his GTA work, I don't mind him writing characters, because I think he is great at that, but i kind of wish someone took the reigns for the main story

I assume Houser is still the lead writer on every rockstar game....

I think when a game has a strong theme like Red Dead, he does well...i just think he gets lazy now on GTA

• Like 2

No. He did well in iv, so i reckon that v was an exception. Community seems to forgetting many things and behave ultra bipolar.

Why though? It was only one bad apple out of the bunch and even there it is acceptable because he was clearly experimenting, and this is backed up by the fact he had to work with 3 protags. (I'm talking about V by the way), every other GTA has been well written, no reason to replace him after he dun goofed on a single occasion.

• Like 2

Finally a Greenrock thread i can agree with! Yeah He is a wannabe scorcese who's writing has only gotten worse since the HD era, They need to stick to ripping off good crime movies, it's the formula that made got them where they are today, not their sh*tty wannabe HBO drama level writing quality.

Nope, I love the bald headed genius such a funny & clever writer, Rockstars strongest strength is there Dialogue & characters narrative wise and I would not want another writer to Write GTA it might lose its charm.

GTA IV Red Dead Redemption & Max Payne 3 all had stellar stories IMO & V was entertaining as well OK it had its flaws but it still had very funny & very well-written dialogue which was at times exceptional, the writing was still top-notch the plot just felt a little messy here & there.

Also who f*cking knows how Rockstar write scripts? it could be his co- writer Rupert Humphries who's the weak link or Rupert could be the real genius who the f*ck knows really?

• Like 3

MiamiViceCity1986

All he has to do is put down the bong that he was smoking during GTA V's development and find the mojo again that made GTA IV excellent. One blunder shouldn't be used against him.

Dan should play Mafia III to learn a few things about how to write an intelligent, amazing story with great characters and gripping narrative that actually felt adult and mature in nature, and not unlike the past attempts by Rockstar to write a serious story like IV that didn't feel like it was written for a more mature crowd but keeping the younger audience in mind. Mafia III is a reminder for the writers at Rockstar that they need to up the ante and maybe even get the writers from M III on board.

Dan should play Mafia III to learn a few things about how to write an intelligent, amazing story with great characters and gripping narrative that actually felt adult and mature in nature, and not unlike the past attempts by Rockstar to write a serious story like IV that didn't feel like it was written for a more mature crowd but keeping the younger audience in mind. Mafia III is a reminder for the writers at Rockstar that they need to up the ante and maybe even get the writers from M III on board.

Mafia III does have a very good story, but Rockstar has done plenty of stories that are mature & adult Max Payne 3? Red Dead Redemption? you might not have enjoyed them yourself but plenty of people including myself did and they were just as mature & adult as Mafia III and the same level of quality IMO.

Edited by Rascalov
  • Like 3

Not yet.

Granted GTA V storyline wasn't the best compared to other GTA games, but can you place all the blame for that on Dan Houser? No. At times GTA V felt to me like R* not just Dan where trying to please everyone with GTA V by trying to combine serious elements with goofy stuff, as that is what alot of people called for after GTA IV. They tried it and it didn't really work, so I believe if you give Dan the freedom to choose what path he wants to go down with the next GTA then it will be a better storyline and game than GTA V was. I personally hope the story is more like GTA IV as it felt right and somewhat origina for a GTA game.

ROCKSTAR MANIC

All he has to do is put down the bong that he was smoking during GTA V's development and find the mojo again that made GTA IV excellent. One blunder shouldn't be used against him.

Or stop taking Cocaine Bumps and shots of whiskey while actually typing out the story and dialogue.

Igor Bogdanoff

Yes, please, pass it to multicultural team!

(if u don't get it's sarcasm and you shouldn't even think about ideas like this)

TheOneLibertonian

I think that Dan Houser should stay writing scripts for GTA. Sure, GTA V's script was an absolute mess, and felt rushed, as well as lacking character development. But he wrote spectacles like GTA IV, GTA IV TLAD, and Red Dead Redemption. These are examples that show that he is a stellar writer. The way that his writing in IV, and RDR are really clever, and certainly hits the emotion just to reading it. Even more powerful with a stellar cast of actors of course. Hollick and Weithoff made these Dan Houser written characters such incredible characters, and I doubt that anyone could make them be as good as the Hollick/Weithoff, and Houser combo. V was certainly that blunder that Houser has made, but other great writers have blunders too!

Edited by Diamond Dogs
  • Like 3

Cheatz/Trickz

If V's single player had been given the attention IV's and RDR's received, then i'd bet its story would be twice as long and full of everything Rockstar decided to scrap in order to casualise it. Can't have a story that requires some actual interpretation or thought now can we? There's some dialogue that suggests events have took place but the game has just skipped ahead. Missions were removed, a whole heist was removed and Franklin's arc likely suffered after Lamar's actor got into trouble, reducing his role. I just assume this ruined most of Franklin's supporting cast too since they're all wastes of pixels.

• Like 1