CynicalRise

My current specs:

NVIdia GeForce GT 610 2GB

intel i3-2130 @3.4GHz

8GB RAM

Now I have my mind set on some things, such as

-Dropping in nore RAM

-Upgrading the GPU

And this is where I got stuck. Now I know there are the super sexy graphics card already out there, but unfortunately I am at a budget, I want to get a GPU under a 100CDN. And then I thought about the CPU. It is a good CPU, but i'm confused about upgrading it. Do I necessarily need to upgrade the cpu? Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

There's no need to put extra RAM in your PC, 8GB is plenty. Upgrading the GPU should definitely be your first priority. i3-2130 is sort of okay (a bit outdated by today's standards, it should do though), while the GT610 is crap any way you look at it; it was bad when it was released, and it's even worse now.

To be honest though, the budget is very limited. There are no brand new graphic cards for under 100CDN that I'd recommend. The cheapest card that's somewhat worth buying is the GTX750Ti 2GB (~140CDN). If you want to spend less, then I'd look for second-hand GPUs on eBay or whatever. Of course there are always cards like GT740 for under 100CDN, but they're significantly slower than GTX750Ti - not a good value despite being noticeably cheaper.

Just out of curiousity, do you have a proper PSU?

Edited by yojc

There's no need to put extra RAM in your PC, 8GB is plenty. Upgrading the GPU should definitely be your first priority. i3-2130 is sort of okay (a bit outdated by today's standards, it should do though), while the GT610 is crap any way you look at it; it was bad when it was released, and it's even worse now.To be honest though, the budget is very limited. There are no brand new graphic cards for under 100CDN that I'd recommend. The cheapest card that's somewhat worth buying is the GTX750Ti 2GB (~140CDN). If you want to spend less, then I'd look for second-hand GPUs on eBay or whatever. Of course there are always cards like GT740 for under 100CDN, but they're significantly slower than GTX750Ti - not a good value despite being noticeably cheaper.Just out of curiousity, do you have a proper PSU?

Yes, I do have a PSU.

Of course you've got a PSU, what he's asking us whether you've got a 450w plus PSU which is made by a reasonably good OEM.

op you dont "need" more ram, 8G aren't optimal but they still do the job very well.

if you are going to upgrade your Gpu dont buy less then the 1060, there is no point in buying any 9 series right now even if they cost less.

you are going to spend at leat 250 on the Gpu and 200 on the Cpu if you really want something that last a couple years

that PC is junk. "It is a good CPU" yeah ok then.

if you're playing games on PC the absolute minimum today should be an i5-4460, GTX 970 3.5GB, 8GB even that is a pretty poor build. I'd recommend at least an i5-6500, 16GB, GTX 1060 6GB personally i have an i7-6700k,16GB, GTX 1070.

Yeah, given that he has 100CDN to spend, he'll definitely be able to afford a GTX970/1060, let alone a whole new rig :dontgetit:

Let's be reasonable, not everyone has to play on max settings to have fun, you can still play games on a rig with i3-2130 and a GPU like GTX750Ti on board - on low to med settings, sure, but I can't see why not. These specs aren't as crap as you make them seem.

Edited by yojc

Yeah, given that he has 100CDN to spend, he'll definitely be able to afford a GTX970/1060, let alone a whole new rig :dontgetit:

Let's be reasonable, not everyone has to play on max settings to have fun, you can still play games on a rig with i3-2130 and a GPU like GTX750Ti on board - on low to med settings, sure, but I can't see why not. These specs aren't as crap as you make them seem.

idk how mutch euros is a canadian dollar, but for 150€ he can get a used gtx970

Yeah, given that he has 100CDN to spend, he'll definitely be able to afford a GTX970/1060, let alone a whole new rig :dontgetit:Let's be reasonable, not everyone has to play on max settings to have fun, you can still play games on a rig with i3-2130 and a GPU like GTX750Ti on board - on low to med settings, sure, but I can't see why not. These specs aren't as crap as you make them seem.

I didn't mean that I had 100CDN to spend, I meant that I wanted a good graphics card under or at least around 100CDN.

Sorry for the confusion.

Judging by the GT 610, I'm guessing this is a prebuilt with a junky power supply. Fortunately, there are some GTX 750 ti's that should run ok on almost any PC, as some don't need a power connector and their power usage is low enough that they won't blow your PSU up. You'll have to find a used one to stay within your budget though, and specifically one without a 6-pin power connector requirement if your PSU doesn't have one. This will make your search considerably harder of course, because most GTX 750 ti's require one. If you could tell us what PSU you have, then we can tell you if you need one of these non 6-pin models.

Edited by Big Moist

100CND are around 67 euros? you cant buy anything with that kind of money let alone anything "good"

even the 750Ti costs 120$ new and personally i wouldnt buy a Gpu with 2Gb

^It's the best he'll be able to do with his current configuration, and not everyone can just plunk down 800 bucks for a new PC.

If he looks in classifieds, eBay, and /r/hardwareswap, he should be able to find a 750ti used for 100 CND

Edited by Big Moist

I didn't mean that I had 100CDN to spend, I meant that I wanted a good graphics card under or at least around 100CDN.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sounds like pretty much the same thing to me. :p

100CND are around 67 euros? you cant buy anything with that kind of money let alone anything "good"

even the 750Ti costs 120$ new and personally i wouldnt buy a Gpu with 2Gb

No one would recommend buying new at this price point.

As Big Moist said, check the PSU first. If it's a crappy OEM burn box, your choices will be seriously limited. If it isn't, there are lots of used cards you can get for around that budget.

not a problem of max or min, even if he buys a used 750ti for that price, 2Gb wont cut it for upcoming games.

at least to me if someone buys a 1060/1070 they will have a Gpu for the next 3+ years, its way better then spending 100$ today, 100 next year, 100 the year after...

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83
  • 2 weeks later...

Right. Budget increased to 1100CDN. Don't ask how. I do have somethings on my mind, such as upgrading the PSU to 400w because mine is garbage, and maybe throwing more RAM at my pc, but got stuck on the GPU and CPU. I'm considering the GTX 750 ti used, but from many sources, I see that it run most games at medium settings on 1080p, and all games at medium to high settings at 720p. So I was like, eh, that kinda sucks, let's look inside more! And saw the shiny GTX 950. Now I'm no PC Nerd, so I really can't tell the difference between a GTX 950 and 960, and what VRAM is or whatever, so I'm kinds stuck between the 950 and the 960. The CPU, for me, seems simple. Intel i5. Easy. It's a good processor, but I don't what model to get, let alone factor in the GHz and if it matters or not.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by CynicalRise

Okay, with 1100CDN to spend it's a whole different story. To be honest, I'd just build a brand new PC.

Something like that for example:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($258.95 @ Vuugo)

Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($105.00 @ Vuugo)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Storage: Plextor M7V 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Case: Antec P70 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.00 @ Vuugo)

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($58.98 @ NCIX)

Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer ($18.85 @ Vuugo)

Total: $1084.74

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-02 03:52 EDT-0400

Or, if you insist on upgrading the current rig, then there's what I'd do. Upgrade the CPU to a second hand i5 (i5-3450/3470/3550/3570) and change the GPU to GTX1060 6GB or RX-480 8GB (remember to check if you have enough room for these in your case!). As for the PSU - if you want something decent and cheap, the new series of Corsair CX (CX450M, CX550M - not to be confused with older CX430M, CX500M, CX600M!) are pretty good. Since your budget is really high now, getting a ~256GB SSD would also be a very good idea. Extra RAM wouldn't hurt, but it's not really necessary.

Edited by yojc
  • Like 1

Okay, with 1100CDN to spend it's a whole different story. To be honest, I'd just build a brand new PC.Something like that for example:PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchantCPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($258.95 @ Vuugo)Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($105.00 @ Vuugo)Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg Canada)Storage: Plextor M7V 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Newegg Canada)Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada)Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg Canada)Case: Antec P70 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.00 @ Vuugo)Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($58.98 @ NCIX)Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer ($18.85 @ Vuugo)Total: $1084.74Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-02 03:52 EDT-0400Or, if you insist on upgrading the current rig, then there's what I'd do. Upgrade the CPU to a second hand i5 (i5-3450/3470/3550/3570) and change the GPU to GTX1060 6GB or RX-480 8GB (remember to check if you have enough room for these in your case!). As for the PSU - if you want something decent and cheap, the new series of Corsair CX (CX450M, CX550M - not to be confused with older CX430M, CX500M, CX600M!) are pretty good. Since your budget is really high now, getting a ~256GB SSD would also be a very good idea. Extra RAM wouldn't hurt, but it's not really necessary.

Thanks for your recommendations. I have decided to upgrade my PC with parts recommended by you, it will take a while, but soon I will have a powerful pc (maybe with your profile picture slapped on it to remind me who helped me pick out parts for this machine!). Thank you once again for taking time out of your schedule to give me some recommendations.

I'd much rather go with a much cheaper 1060 like a Zotac or EVGA mini. That'll free up money to go for 16GB RAM. I also don't see the point of a quite expensive Z170 board for a non-K i5-6500 when there are tons of cheaper mATX boards out there. You don't need more than one PCI-E x16 slot as the 1060 doesn't support SLI anyway.

Edited by Andreaz1
  • Like 1

I just wanted to include a full-size ATX mobo and that was one of the cheapest. Some money could be saved by going for a mATX mobo though.

Edited by yojc

Repost from another thread:

Well I recently built myself a PC

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k

MB: AsRock Z170 Pro 4S

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC

RAM: 8 GB 2133MHz DDR4

Those, plus the case, cooling, PSU and HDD cost me around a $1000 when converted from Bulgarian Lev. If you're in the US, using PCPartPicker I estimate it would cost you about $750. It runs GTA V on Ultra Settings with FXAA at 1080p with 60fps constantly. If you're looking for a 1080p gaming monster that is your ideal PC for the money.

PSU: Corsair VS650

HDD: WD Blue 1TB

Cpu cooler: CM TX3 EVO

Case: Raidmax Vortex V4

Edited by MiroSekiro
  • Like 1

I have decided to go with these:

NVidia GeForce GTX 1060

Intel Core i5 6500

EVGA Gold 550W

and a Samsung 256GB SSD idk

If you guys notice a bottleneck, please inform me so I can change these before I buy

EDIT: I found a bottleneck, i5 3470 doesn't go well with a GTX 1060 apparently, and I do plan on playing games like GTAV, which CPU-reliant or something idk

Edited by CynicalRise

Just a heads up:

- do not get the i5-6600k unless you plan to overclock the CPU - if you don't, i5-6500 is a far more sensible option;

- i5-6600k is not compatible with your current motherboard, you'd need to replace it as well (which would also require replacing the RAM, as most mobos for this CPU require DDR4, not DDR3);

- i5-6600k comes with no cooler bundled, you'd need to buy one. (i5-6500 comes with a stock cooler)

As for the i5-3470 + GTX1060 - IMHO it shouldn't be bad, even though it's an old CPU there hasn't been a colossal increase of CPU processing power in recent years. Possibly thanks to AMD being totally non-competitive with their FX CPUs (I really hope that AMD Zen turns out to be great...).

Edited by yojc
  • Like 2

Just a heads up:

- do not get the i5-6600k unless you plan to overclock the CPU - if you don't, i5-6500 is a far more sensible option;

- i5-6600k is not compatible with your current motherboard, you'd need to replace it as well (which would also require replacing the RAM, as most mobos for this CPU require DDR4, not DDR3);

- i5-6600k comes with no cooler bundled, you'd need to buy one. (i5-6500 comes with a stock cooler)

As for the i5-3470 + GTX1060 - IMHO it shouldn't be bad, even though it's an old CPU there hasn't been a colossal increase of CPU processing power in recent years. Possibly thanks to AMD being totally non-competitive with their FX CPUs (I really hope that AMD Zen turns out to be great...).

I second the AMD sentiment, I've all but given up on AMD ever bringing any competition back to the CPU market. I think since Intel release the Core2 range wayyyyy back in the day it's been a 1 horse race when it comes to sheer numbers.

Well yeah, ever since Core 2 were released, Intel definitely had an upper hand on the market. Although to be honest this wasn't the end of the world, because AMD managed to be a good alternative with their Phenom CPUs. It took them two tries though, since first gen Phenoms were... well, underdeveloped to put it mildly. Phenoms II X4 started as a competitor to Core 2 Quads (not as good, but close), and continued to be a viable option well into Sandy/Ivy Bridge era, where it competed against Intel's dual core i3. Admittedly, it had a very long life on the market.

Even though I wasn't such critical about current AMD FX when they were launched, in retrospect I must say they were a huge flop. I'm not entirely sure if they tried to be too innovative, or the design itself just wasn't polished enough. Either way, it's good that Bulldozer/etc. microarchitecture goes straight into the bin and AMD Zen will be more Intel-like.

I also wonder how would the thing be if Intel didn't resort to bribery back when they were getting their arse kicked by AMD, back in Athlon XP/64 days. That must have had a huge impact on AMD.

But that's going a bit offtopic ;)

• Like 1

I have decided to go with these:

NVidia GeForce GTX 1060

Intel Core i5 6500

EVGA Gold 550W

and a Samsung 256GB SSD idk

If you guys notice a bottleneck, please inform me so I can change these before I buy

EDIT: I found a bottleneck, i5 3470 doesn't go well with a GTX 1060 apparently, and I do plan on playing games like GTAV, which CPU-reliant or something idk

This is my final decision. Let this thread sink to the bottom of the void.

• Like 1