4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Graphic cards for dummes

chronic lumbago

Can someone explain them to me? It's been 6 years since I had a laptop, I know what things like RAM or the processor is for but never really understood the deal behind graphic cards.

When I see system requirements, the only graphic cards listed are Nvida and AMD. What's the difference? I'm currently looking for an older laptop that can play games from +-2010 but no laptop I've seen so far has one of these two. My previous laptop ran a few games like San Andreas though I don't remember that it had Nvidia.

Are these graphic card drivers? What if I buy a laptiop with enough space/RAM/GPU but a different graphic card, will it still run the game? Can I buy an extern graphic card?

I want to buy one so I can play Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim and a few more.

nVidia and AMD are the manufacturers of GPUs. On its own it's not really relevant, since both brands have dozens of different models of GPUs, thus what you must look for is whether the particular GPU model used in the laptop is capable of running the game.

Laptops that don't come with NVIDIA or AMD cards have integrated GPUs, most commonly from Intel (I'm not aware of any portable AMD APUs in laptops). An integrated GPU in a recent CPU (say a Skylake CPU) might be enough for your needs but I would go for a laptop with a discrete GPU (video card). Still, you shouldn't expect a lot of performance from that either.

External graphics cards are really only a thing for high-end gaming on laptops because set-ups like that cost a bit more money than the desktop equivalent. It's not something you would want unless you want to play the latest games while you travel or you want high-end gaming gear that's portable.

I know I've advised against gaming laptops in the past, but I never really considered just how needless they were unless you needed to game on the go. OP, ask yourself if you really need a laptop before considering anything else. Are you constantly traveling or something?

Skyrim and New Vegas will run just fine on a modern Intel integrated, so long as you aren't planning to push ENB. But XS makes a very good point. Unless you have some very special work requirements on your laptop, like rendering or compiling code, there is no reason to buy a powerful laptop. Buy a cheap work laptop and a mid-range gaming desktop.

I somehow like the idea of having a laptop instead of a full PC simply becaude it's compact and I don't have the place/furniture for a PC. I also guess it would be more expencive.

Thanks for the answers so far, I'm waiting for the next paycheck then take a look again which laptop I'm going to buy. Probably going to be a 400-500 laptop and I'll post likely end up buying an extern graphic card.

Which card would suit me the best? I'll obviously try to run the game without it first. Then I want to buy a card that can play the mentioned games at optimal/good settings, so not the weakest one.

Is such card going to be expensive? Which one should I be looking for?

Edit: seen a decent 329 laptop with a Intel HD graphics cards. That's going to be enough? All other system requirements are better than the minimal reqs for these games.

Edited by fashion

1) You can't buy an external graphics card for laptop. There are a few gaming laptops with docking stations containing a powerful graphics card, but these are very expensive to begin with.

2) Simply stating that the laptop has Intel HD graphics says absolutely nothing. You have to look at the actual chip. At very least, we need to know the CPU model to say something about it. But odds are, for $329 it will be outdated low-end system. Not remotely what you want for games.

Meh, then I should probably consider buying a desktop PC and somehow connect it to my TV. I won't risk buying a laptop that can't run the games I want to play.

1) You can't buy an external graphics card for laptop. There are a few gaming laptops with docking stations containing a powerful graphics card, but these are very expensive to begin with.

2) Simply stating that the laptop has Intel HD graphics says absolutely nothing. You have to look at the actual chip. At very least, we need to know the CPU model to say something about it. But odds are, for $329 it will be outdated low-end system. Not remotely what you want for games.

it was showned in computex 2016 something like what he was saying..

"In case you're wondering, the enclosure containing the GTX 1080 Strix is also an ASUS product – the XG Station II, an external GPU enclosure that communicates with laptops via the Thunderbolt protocol."

4ae9573756ec86c521e01a380539f586_XL.jpg

Given that the mobile 1070 and 1080 are pretty much identical to their desktop brethren this time around, the whole market for external GPU enclosures has collapsed.

Given that the mobile 1070 and 1080 are pretty much identical to their desktop brethren this time around, the whole market for external GPU enclosures has collapsed.

Sure, i dont know the price for the XG Station but it wont be cheap. its also not very pratical, if you use a laptop its bcuz you want it to be mobile, so carrying something like that wont be easy.

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

Sure, i dont know the price for the XG Station but it wont be cheap. its also not very pratical, if you use a laptop its bcuz you want it to be mobile, so carrying something like that wont be easy.

There could only be one possible reason for using a laptop with that type of external gpu, gaming for when home, needing to take the laptop to class or work while leaving the external gpu at home, As far as I know, the laptop will work fine without the external gpu for every day class or work use like a regular laptop.

I know I've advised against gaming laptops in the past, but I never really considered just how needless they were unless you needed to game on the go. OP, ask yourself if you really need a laptop before considering anything else. Are you constantly traveling or something?

I made this exact mistake an year ago, and over time I realized for the same price I could have bought a much nicier desktop and a tablet for college. Thus mine is not very powerful and I know on the near future I'll have to end up getting a better machine since there's just no benefit on upgrading a laptop. I'll probably end up selling it.