4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Apple's September 7th event; iPhone 7.

Not A Nice Person

nategorby_2016-aug-29.jpg?quality=82&str

Mark your calendars, folks, its official. Apple has issued press invites to its next media event on September 7 at Bill Graham Civic Center in San Francisco at 10 am PT. The company is widely expected to unveil new iPhones and could unveil new MacBook Pros and the Apple Watch 2 at the same event.
The new iPhones are generally expected to feature a very similar design to the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, which suggests Apple could save the iPhone 7 name for 2017 models and use a version of the iPhone 6 name (like iPhone 6 SE) this year. While its unclear what Apple will name the new iPhones, well go with the consensus of iPhone 7 until we learn otherwise.

While both models are expected to gain faster A10 processors and drop the 16GB tier for 32GB entry models, the most dramatic change is likely coming to the 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus and not the 4.7-inch iPhone 7: a dual camera system. This could be used to emulate optical zoom where digital zoom basically crops a shot and loses detail.

Read more:
https://9to5mac.com/2016/08/29/apple-event-date-iphone-7/

Pre-Order

http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/

Out Sept. 16.

Edited by Mion
  • Like 1

Supposedly it has a proprietary dongle for connecting headphones. If it were any other phone manufacturer, I'd laugh at how ridiculous that decision is, but this Apple we're talking about here. :rol:

• Like 2

It's nice that they now have a real black color option instead of just gray. Even though I am not going to get one, it's great to know they ditched 16GB as a base and replaced it with 32GB.

VWSTp.png

Everyone who say it's not on the same level as Android are delusional now.

I don't recall ever buying an Android smartphone which required me to ditch my extremely high quality AKG reference grade headphones in order to use some sh*tty, tinny in-ears, or use a cumbersome adapter.

• Like 3

Untitled-1.jpg
P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

There's always the bose quietcomfort headphones, and while I think it's a bit early to remove the headphone jack, it's an innovative move.

I actually hope Samsung does it, It'll be convenient to not have a port that just gathers debris personally.

Edited by Mion

it's an innovative move.

No, it's really not. It's a f*cking pointless move.

And what the f*ck are you doing that you have sh*t getting into headphone jack?

• Like 1

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

While ditching the 16GB entry model for a 32GB one, which really isn't a bad move considering how much space the operating system and HD camera photos take these days, they also decided nobody really wants a 64GB phone and went straight up to 128 and 256, leaving you either with the _small_ 32GB version or the relatively more expensive 128GB version

Oh apple you dawg you

I actually hope Samsung does it, It'll be convenient to not have a port that just gathers debris personally.

They already have, bluetooth headphones have been out for a while now Edited by  dice

qRNj5vr.gif

There's always the bose quietcomfort headphones

I can pretty much guarantee that no Lightning connector headphone will be available at release which will even come close to the quality of some of the conventional headphones on the market.

Forcing people into buying an inferior product from a small, tightly controlled pool of typically expensive alternatives for no discernible reason is pretty much Apple's MO when it comes to peripherals though.

Untitled-1.jpg

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Getting rid of a minijack is just ridiculous, I feel like it's a huge step back. Remember when nearly every phone needed a headphone adapter? That was a pain in the arse

Edited by yojc

74cXSsx.png

so like what if you want to charge your phone and have earphones in at the same time? are we gonna be running f*cking splitters? well im not because once my contracts up im smashing this iphone with a brick

basically just a big f*ck you and another way for apple to make some $$$ and make you either deal with some bullsh*t adapter for earphones (its like 2004 all over again) or buy theirs in the same way if your charger breaks you need to get another official apple one or risk f*cking the u2 ic chip.

Edited by Blaze

EqqGXy2.gif

I really f*cking despise you people who get a tribal mentality about phones or consoles or whatever bullsh*t you decided to buy instead of that other bullsh*t.

Fanboys f*cking suck.

If you prefer one thing to another, that's great, that's perfectly fine. It's when you start to have the tribal, them vs us, mentality, and you cheer for one trillion dollar corporation and root against another trillion dollar corporation, is when you should reevaluate your mental health.

As for the iPhone 7. It's a faster better version of last year's model. I don't mind that. I have last year's model, and it's still fine.

Edit: I apologize if I'm being ornery. As a user of both Apple and Android products, I can't stand the hate.

Edited by darthYENIK

It'll be convenient to not have a port that just gathers debris personally.

Wait, wut? What are you getting into your port? If that's the logic being used, you should just remove the lightning port and micro-usb on all phones and make everyone charge wirelessly. I've never encountered a problem with getting debris, besides dust at least (but you can just clean that out. Use compressed air or blow into the port), in any hole on the phone.

If you prefer one thing to another, that's great, that's perfectly fine. It's when you start to have the tribal, them vs us, mentality, and you cheer for one trillion dollar corporation and root against another trillion dollar corporation, is when you should reevaluate your mental health.

Nobody is acting "tribal", it's a discussion topic and we all have a say in it. Sure, people here have differing opinions, but nobody is really claiming one opinion is better than the rest, or that Android is superior or whatever. It's just a discussion topic.. and we're discussing in it.

VWSTp.png

it's an innovative move.

No, it's really not. It's a f*cking pointless move.

And what the f*ck are you doing that you have sh*t getting into headphone jack?

When I had the 4s is my only incident but I'd rather waterproofing > Headphone jack

I think Apple is bullsh*t for not having a second option but the wireless future thing brings up a good point.

I can pretty much guarantee that no Lightning connector headphone will be available at release which will even come close to the quality of some of the conventional headphones on the market.

There will be an adapter, no need for lightning headphones.

With this change, companies will definitely start pumping out wireless headphones imo.

Just making it clear I'm not a company fanboy but this move really interests me.

Edited by Mion

Let's be real here, forcing headset manufacturers to conform to their new lightning port quality audio simply means that Apple can finally cash in on the licensing fees required to manufacture compatible headsets. I also doubt the phone will include a dongle, which means there will always be associated switching costs. Ironic, we're supposed to embrace this new and progressive technological leap, yet we're also being told that wireless Blutooth quality earbuds are the future of audio consumption? Blutooth audio quality is terrible. I also heard they cost $159. :facedesk:

Further, this only helps position their newly acquired Beats division up for success. I'm sure Beats already has a lightning-port capable headset on the market as we speak.

Edited by X S
  • Like 2

It'll be convenient to not have a port that just gathers debris personally.

Wait, wut? What are you getting into your port? If that's the logic being used, you should just remove the lightning port and micro-usb on all phones and make everyone charge wirelessly. I've never encountered a problem with getting debris, besides dust at least (but you can just clean that out. Use compressed air or blow into the port), in any hole on the phone.

Nobody is acting "tribal", it's a discussion topic and we all have a say in it. Sure, people here have differing opinions, but nobody is really claiming one opinion is better than the rest, or that Android is superior or whatever. It's just a discussion topic.. and we're discussing in it.

It wasn't anyone in here I was specifically referring to, just a general "you people".

I'm just gonna plead temporary insanity on that post. I don't know what got into me.

Edited by darthYENIK

With this change, companies will definitely start pumping out wireless headphones imo.

Wireless headphones are, generally speaking, technically inferior to wired ones.

Once you start having to cram additional mass (batteries, receivers) into headphones, you start impeding their functionality. You have less space for components which actually create sound, you start intruding into well-established acoustic designs which produce the best possible soundstage. You start adding active electronic components, you create electromagnetic interference which then needs to be shielded out. You introduce additional interference via the wireless protocol used to transmit to them too.

To retain the same quality of soundstage and clarity, wireless earphones have to be heavier, larger, more expensive and more complex.

Untitled-1.jpg

I really f*cking despise you people who get a tribal mentality about phones or consoles or whatever bullsh*t you decided to buy instead of that other bullsh*t.

Fanboys f*cking suck.

As for the iPhone 7. It's a faster better version of last year's model. I don't mind that. I have last year's model, and it's still fine.

Edit: I apologize if I'm being ornery. As a user of both Apple and Android products, I can't stand the hate.

Is this an Apple vs. Samsung thing? Samsung sucks too, but probably less and there's a huge selection of Android phones to chose from. Android is often better because there's less proprietary sh*t you have to deal with. It's like the equivalent of a PC.

There are even phones made by companies like OnePlus who allow you to install custom versions (ROMs) of Android or possibly even other operating systems (like Windows Mobile). Android is better because it offers more control (in some cases) over your product.

Wireless headphones are, generally speaking, technically inferior to wired ones.

Once you start having to cram additional mass (batteries, receivers) into headphones, you start impeding their functionality. You have less space for components which actually create sound, you start intruding into well-established acoustic designs which produce the best possible soundstage. You start adding active electronic components, you create electromagnetic interference which then needs to be shielded out. You introduce additional interference via the wireless protocol used to transmit to them too.

To retain the same quality of soundstage and clarity, wireless earphones have to be heavier, larger, more expensive and more complex.

Are you carrying studio grade headphones around to use with your phone? I don't know what to say about that. I think most phones can't deliver a powerful enough signal in order for those to sound good (unless they have a built in amp).

What AKG model are you using?

$GAIN | The Audiophile Thread

XB271HU | AKG K612 Pro | Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | TOPPING A90 | TOPPING D90SE

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | SSD ADATA 256GB | Seagate 2TB 7200RPM

Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox Series X | PS2

Are you carrying studio grade headphones around to use with your phone?

Yep. If I've got a bag with me, which I usually do if I'm going anywhere with work, I carry my AKG K550s and my Fiio headphone amp. I normally use an iPod but have a Nexus 6P case with Velcro pads on it so I can stick the Fiio to the back of my phone.

If I'm flying or don't want to lug over-ears around then I'll usually take my Shure in-ears. They don't need an amp. And if I'm going to the gym, or running, or just want some music to wander into town on my way to the pub, I've got Sony EX650APs which are my knock-around headphones.

• Like 2

Untitled-1.jpg

so like what if you want to charge your phone and have earphones in at the same time? are we gonna be running f*cking splitters? well im not because once my contracts up im smashing this iphone with a brick

basically just a big f*ck you and another way for apple to make some $$$ and make you either deal with some bullsh*t adapter for earphones (its like 2004 all over again) or buy theirs in the same way if your charger breaks you need to get another official apple one or risk f*cking the u2 ic chip.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/lightning-dock-iphone-7-charging-with-music/

iphonelightningdock-800x363.jpg

hahahahahahaahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Like 2

EqqGXy2.gif

I've personally had Jaybirds for a while and they're comfortable (especially when exercising) compared to noncore refined headphones, though it's obviously not as flush.

If you still want wired there's a converter so it's not too big an issue.

Well there won't be a big issue for me because I'm not going to buy one anyway. The DACs in Apple products post the demise of the iPod Classic are sh*t anyway.

The notion that Jaybirds are even vaguely comparable to Shures etc is utterly hilarious.

Untitled-1.jpg

Guys, headphones plug into the Lightning port, and it comes with a 3.5mm adapter. You can use whatever headphones you want on an iPhone 7. I doubt the lack of an internal 3.5mm port will push anything except possibly lightning format headphones, which is probably what Apple wants the most.

What do I do if I want to charge my phone at the same time? It strikes me as an extremely inelegant solution to a problem which doesn't exist.

Untitled-1.jpg

14276651_566014583584973_1148637401_n.jp

14295408_668631403292574_1666757978_n.jp

14288035_148348185615065_1193848696_n.jp

EqqGXy2.gif

If you still want wired there's a converter so it's not too big an issue.

Yeah a cash-grabbing attitude is no big deal for a company. Not to mention that their stupid proprietary sh*t is usually abnormally expensive. Paying $50 for a glorified charger is the definition of stupid. I would understand if Apple products were marketed towards rich people who like to throw money at things but they are not.

This is not an innovative move on their part. There are Android phones which use a USB type-C connector for headphones. Removing the jack doesn't make much sense really from either an aesthetic or practical point of view. If anything a jack-less phone looks weird and the practical aspect of one is arguably worse given that you only have one port to use for many things.

Edited by Kristian.

$GAIN | The Audiophile Thread

XB271HU | AKG K612 Pro | Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | TOPPING A90 | TOPPING D90SE

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | SSD ADATA 256GB | Seagate 2TB 7200RPM

Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox Series X | PS2

The mark-up on chargers is nothing compared to the mark-up on RAM. That's why all the new Macs have their DIMMs soldered in- anyone with a brain was buying OEM stuff from Kingston or other suppliers for 20% of the price, and Apple couldn't possibly have their customers repairing or upgrading their own devices and not profit...

Untitled-1.jpg