1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Need new PC for current-gen. How much money are we talking?

TheMadHammer

With consoles still being in excess of $300, and not wanting to play shooters on anything other than a mouse and keyboard, I figure it's time to build my own PC. Of course, I'm aware that the PC will cost quite a bit more than consoles, but balancing for quality and low price tags, what can I reasonably hope to spend? And do you have hardware suggestions?

EDIT:
I'd be willing to spend 1k andI'm looking to play upcomers like Mass Effect Andromeda and Watch Dogs 2, as well as FO4, Overwatch, Deus Ex, and GTAV. I'm hoping 1k is enough to play those games on medium graphicsand get a solid fps out ofem.

2X EDIT:

I would need to buy the OS as well.

Edited by Majesty Dreamworth

It's very hard with computers to try and figure out what something will cost without having very specific tech requirements in mind. It's much easier to go the other direction. If you let us know how much you think you can spend, some of us might be able to come up with specs to fit the budget, as well as rough idea of how well modern games will run on that. If you have two numbers, how much you're looking to spend, and how much you can stretch it to if you really, really have to, we could work with that as well.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

I'd be willing to spend 1k andI'm looking to play upcomers like Mass Effect Andromeda and Watch Dogs 2, as well as FO4, Overwatch, Deus Ex, and GTAV. I'm hoping 1k is enough to play those games on medium graphicsand get a solid fps out ofem.

EDIT: I would need to buy the OS as well.

Edited by Majesty Dreamworth

Setting aside about $100 for Windows 10, this brings you to $900 for hardware. You can build a pretty decent machine with this.

Most games these days are going to bottleneck on GFX with any half-decent CPU. So I would recommend going all in on graphics. For a $900 PC this means a GTX 1070 right now. These start at about $400. This leaves you with $500 to build the rest of the PC. This is starting to feel a little tight, but not crazy. Next on the priority list is CPU. Again, pushing this a little bit, I would recommend going to Core i5 6400. One of the best $/performance CPUs Intel has right now. Goes for $190. And we're down to $310.

Motherboard. Pretty big selection, but for something decent in LGA 1151, you're looking at something like $60. And we're down to $250. Ram will cost you another $60 or so for 16GB of DDR4. $190, but we're on the home stretch. HDD, PSU, cooling, and case to go. For PSU, you can get something in 500W range for under $50 and it won't be junk. I'm seeing 500W Corsairs for $45. So that should be plenty. $140 to go.

HDD. This comes with a lot of options. You can get a 250GB SSD for about $70. Again, from a decent company like Samsung, not some crap. Or you can get a 2-3TB HDD for about the same amount or slightly less. SSD will boot faster and games will run better. But you won't have that much room for your library, so you'll have to keep deleting and re-downloading games. HDD will be slower, but it will have room for everything. Ideally, you buy one now and upgrade with the other later. Either way, you have about $70 to go. I would pick up a case for $50-$60 and a CPU fan for whatever's left. For $30 you can pick up a fantastic CPU fan, but a cheap one can go as little as $15, and unless you overclock, Skylakes run really cool.

Summary:

Windows 10 Home ~ $100

GTX 1070 ~ $400

Core i5 6400 ~ $190

LGA 1151 mobo ~ $60

16GB DDR4 RAM ~ $60

500W PSU ~ $50

250GB SSD or 3TB HDD ~ $70

Case ~ $55

Cooler ~ $15

Total ~ $1,000 + tax + shipping.

If you don't mind going a bit over, you can improve some of these. If you want to go under to get total with taxes and shipping under $1k, the most flexible part up there is going to be the graphics card. GTX 970 will probably suffice for everything in foreseeable future. You can get one of these for ~$320.

• Like 2

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

I would say 1000 is the minimun you should spend for the tower and dont go with anything less then the 1070.

The problem of playing on the pc is you will alway end up wanting more, you start by wanting to play on 1080p full ultra settings and end up wanting 60 fps on 4k

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

Gareth Alan Willmer

With consoles still being in excess of $300, and not wanting to play shooters on anything other than a mouse and keyboard, I figure it's time to build my own PC. Of course, I'm aware that the PC will cost quite a bit more than consoles, but balancing for quality and low price tags, what can I reasonably hope to spend? And do you have hardware suggestions?

EDIT:

2X EDIT:

I would need to buy the OS as well.

Id start with this bundle

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/recon-h110m-intel-core-i5-6500-3.2ghz-3.6ghz-turbo-8gb-ddr4-quad-core-value-skylake-gaming-bundl-bu-234-ok.html

Then if your fussed about 4k get a decent graphics card if your happy with 1080P then get a mid range Geforce.A hard drive with 64MB Cache 2TB at least and a blu ray writer. This is to start of it will run most games

What K2 said, except there's no point in getting a 970 when the 1060 beats it at a cheaper price, unless you could get a 970 for ~$200 bucks

Also make sure to check out reddit.com/r/buildapcsales, lots of really good deals get posted there. I've seen CPUs and GPUs at prices ~$40 below everywhere else, often thanks to jet.com promos

What K2 said, except there's no point in getting a 970 when the 1060 beats it at a cheaper price, unless you could get a 970 for ~$200 bucks

Good point. I forgot about 1060.

Also make sure to check out reddit.com/r/buildapcsales, lots of really good deals get posted there. I've seen CPUs and GPUs at prices ~$40 below everywhere else, often thanks to jet.com promos

i wouldnt mind selling my Gtx 970 for less then that if someone picked it in my doorstep lmao :lol:

better then letting the gpu collect dust

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

To be honest when I sold my 970 I was amazed how much it went for. £170, and that was despite RX480s and 1060s being available for not much more.

Untitled-1.jpg
P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Well I recently built myself a PC

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k

MB: AsRock Z170 Pro 4S

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC

RAM: 8 GB 2133MHz DDR4

Those, plus the case, cooling, PSU and HDD cost me around a $1000 when converted from Bulgarian Lev. If you're in the US, using PCPartPicker I estimate it would cost you about $750. It runs GTA V on Ultra Settings with FXAA at 1080p with 60fps constantly. If you're looking for a 1080p gaming monster that is your ideal PC for the money.

Edit: And since you're willing to give up to 1K you have $250 left for SSD or other peripherals, should you need them.

Edited by MiroSekiro
  • Like 1