• GTA IV
    • GTA TLaD
    • GTA CTW
    • GTA TBoGT
    • GTA V
    • GTA Online
    • GTA Advance

RogerWho

GTA IV's cops are the best because (along with EFLC) are the only cops in the GTA series who arrest other peds and place them into cop cars.

In IV, cops no longer spawn out of thin air around you. Cops finally acknowledge crimes caused by pedestrians and not just the player

This really can't be overstated. How are we supposed to take cops seriously, how can their behavior be immersive if they concentrate on the player and nobody else, to the point that their cars appear on top of mountains out of nowhere JUST for the player?

As such, cops stop being actual cops, 'characters' that are supposed to be the enemies and antagonists, and become nothing else but an abstract obstacle and artificial difficulty spikes. You might as well need to solve a puzzle every time you steal a car, that's how much sense it makes.

3D era gets a pass, but to clear all the progress and get back to that system... Now there's a feature central to the whole idea of the series that made no sense to revert.

Edited by RogerWho

Piggsy pls

On a serious note, the best are IV cops, for being the most realistic in behavior thus far, as well as their funny dialogue. The worst are V and Online cops, due to being just as bad as III and VC cops, but those games get a bit of a pass for being older, while V came out after IV, making it inexcusable. I voted for Online though, cause you can't even be busted there, they just instantly start shooting no matter the crime, and in general they f*ck up any type of free roam fun you try to have. I understand Rockstar was trying to parody police brutality, but come on, they did that well enough in IV.

Edited by Piggsy pls

Niobium

i voted for gay tony for the best cops. they're basically the same as IV except they are more varied in the weapons they carry. the swat in helicopters will use LMGs while the swat in armored vans may use the M4 or P90.

OBVIOUSLY GTA V HAS THE WORST COPS. SH*T

Edited by Niobium

The Rockstar Gamer 108

Best Cops - IV

Worst Cops - VC

Algonquin Assassin

God I hope GTA VI is an improvement in this area. It's obvious R* were making headway with GTA IV's police A.I. Then they f*cked it up with GTA V. What a surprise.

The Rockstar Gamer 108

Actually they make games to earn Profits in big scales. They dont care for us or our feelings. They are NOT REGRETTING. They're getting money, which they wanted.

They may cover up their loop holes in VI.

Anyways I like IV cops coz they arrest the crooks who hit Niko.

I dislike VC cops coz they can arrest you within a period of 0.5 Second.

D9fred95

Best cops are SA's. They're tough but fair which is the way it should be. Their quotes are funny as well, probably the most humorous in the franchise. Their cars are fast and have good handling but are also easy to lose so they aren't overpowered in a chase.

V cops are the worst, they get angry over literally everything. They spawn 50 meters infront of you non stop making chases a hassle and you can't even effectively fight back since they mow you down even at three stars.

SeroH

To me the best are the cops from GTA SA and IV, to me they're easy to deal with. With molotov cocktails and a Sanchez I can escape the cops on Flint County easily. And the cops from IV aren't dangerous at all.

Worst cops are in GTA 3 and VC(S), the FBI from LC is really tough and faster than the speed of sound, while in Vice City the FBI agents are pretty tough and I hate the Police Cheetahs, always pissing me off when I try to run away.

--Vega--

Actually they make games to earn Profits in big scales. They dont care for us or our feelings. They are NOT REGRETTING. They're getting money, which they wanted.

They may cover up their loop holes in VI.

Anyways I like IV cops coz they arrest the crooks who hit Niko.

I dislike VC cops coz they can arrest you within a period of 0.5 Second.

VC also had that f*cked up glitch where the cop auto-runs to your door and opens it, instantly busting you.

...yeah, that was bullsh*t.

Hendrik498

I thought you meant cops that had roles in the story, and in that case, in my opinion the best cop would be Wade Heston and the worst would be Officer Tenpenny.

https://youtu.be/Y5hl7Mnr2ng

Edited by The Lone Spirit

Richie Makyura

GTA 3 & VC Have The Best cops in my opinion, this guys are suicides :v

And SA Its too easly to kill in comparation of 3 & VC

Imder6

GTA IV cops were pretty easy to lose and have fun gunfights with them.I remember killing a sh*t ton of cops before I eventually died by being massacred by the SWAT team.GTA V on the other hand is next-gen terminators.I'm not saying the cops are invincible but they have perfect aiming and impossible spotting.I sniped someone with a silenced sniper then the next you know I have a star on me.I'm like WHO THE f*ck IS LOOKING OUT OF THEIR WINDOWS because I was in a crowded area.Their cars can catch up to a Bugatti when yet their car is supposed to be much slower than the super car.It seems every little you do in LS can get you shot or arrested.

Payne Killer

Best: 3d era/IV/EFLC. These guys are the most fun I had with any open world game, and it makes a bit more sense with them walking around the city, but once you hit 4+ stars you better be carrying a lot of weapons or else you're f*cked lmao. 3d era cops were fun too, best fun I had with video games as a kid.

Worst: V. They didn't even improve them from IV, they gave them the power of god, the training of Superman, and the ability pull off headshots from a long distance just makes it feel cheap. They shoot on sight(with NPCs) even if you're on foot once it hits 2 stars they open fire so quick its like their pistols have targeting systems built in or somesh*t, and their cars lol f*cking turbo boost batmobiles with them behind the wheel, but once you drive it they feel like minivans.

CountdownIIExtinction

Easily the best cops are in GTA San Andreas. LSPD, rangers, motorcycle cops, SFPD, LVPD - all of them. If you don't believe me. replay SA.

I like their overall style and sense of humor. SA cops are no bullsh*t cops. They shoot a guy dead and then say "we need to ask you some questions." In San Fierro there's Clean Harry who can help you with your anxiety. Bike cops show how it's done East Coast style - no witnesses. Country cops say "boy" after every sentence lol. Las Venturas cops like to play DRT - dead right there.

SA police have the coolest vehicles too.

Worst cops are in GTAV - a game I love to hate - but really the cops are idiotic. They yell stupid meaningless sh*t to you "is that grease comin out your ears?" - WTF? Those comic book, nerdy cops in GTAV are a huge downgrade from the LSPD of 3D universe.

MegaVice

Easy. Vice City had Ultracops so Vice City's were the best.

Dan_1983

Best were IV.

Worst were V

Hot Pursuit

Best: V and IV

Worst:3D Universe

Cops in GTA V (and GTA IV probably) can actually help you when you are involved in a shootout (they do not focus their attack on you, but every hostile near them) unlike in 3D Universe cop which don't give a sh*t when you getting shot to death

KingAJ032304

After playing GTA 2 GTA 3 VC SA GTA A LCS 4 TLAD TBOGT 5 and Online, I can safely say GTA SA had a perfect balance in difficulty and were the funniest

GTA 4 cops were really funny too but sometimes were a little too easy

GTA 3 cops (1-4 stars and some extinct 5 stars) was very balanced but 6 stars gave the army them powerful minigun-like m4

The cops in GTA VC were significantly toned down and your OP especially when 100% complete the game combined with your super fast running speed!

Never played VCS(I will on PS4) but I heard that cops were the most aggressive 1-5 stars.

GTA SA had (in my opinion) the hardest 5 stars and I prefer GTA 3 version

All npcs having high accuracy ruiun the fun in gta 5/gta online

GTA 3 m4-wielding armycops combined with the fact that you that silent badass killer in the dark and evil liberty city made gta 3 rampages so satisfying (also in my opinion)

B Dawg

SA and V also have a major problem with their ridiculous spawning on top of mountains, in the middle of the desert and everywhere else across the whole state even if you have just one or 2 stars. It's not that obvious in the other titles with their relatively compact cities.

Almost 2 year old late reply but whatever :p

Actually, if I recall correctly, in 3D era games, cop cars do not spawn at all at one star wanted level.

Tao Cheng

I like how in GTAIII, the police sound so serious that they can potentially be feared among other players.

All that credibility plummeted after Vice City cops with their white boy Blake lookin asses.

Jack Lupino

I like how in GTAIII, the police sound so serious that they can potentially be feared among other players.

All that credibility plummeted after Vice City cops with their white boy Blake lookin asses.

I agree. LCPD police are so damn aggressive and takes their job seriously.

VCPD police on the other hand loves to dance in malibu club :pp

Domac

Best: GTA IV because I liked getting people arrested for hitting me even if I provoked the fight.

Worst: GTA Online and V.

GTA Online because they are annoying as f**k.

GTA V because they are too agressive.

zombieslayer777

gta iv cops actually arrested you instead of just shooting you to death like they do in gta v which in which is why i hate gta v cops is because they have terminator shooting accuracy which is annoying when stuck and there is no way to escape plus gta 4 cops were eaiser to get away from even though i dont have trouble getting away from the cops in gta 5 though in 4 it takes less time to escape the lcpd 

TheSantader25
18 minutes ago, zombieslayer777 said:

gta iv cops actually arrested you instead of just shooting you to death like they do in gta v which in which is why i hate gta v cops is because they have terminator shooting accuracy which is annoying when stuck and there is no way to escape plus gta 4 cops were eaiser to get away from even though i dont have trouble getting away from the cops in gta 5 though in 4 it takes less time to escape the lcpd 

GTA V story mode cops arrest you at 1 star. Though in GTA ONLINE they always shoot. But then again even in story mode they kill npcs instead of arresting them. This feature was probably cut because in the FRANKLIN TRAILER an npc is shown to be arrested. 

Algonquin Assassin
7 hours ago, zombieslayer777 said:

GTA V's cops are so unbalanced it's amazing it got through testing. I've been on top of buildings before out of sight of cops on the ground and they've still managed to know exactly where I am.

Other times they're dumb as f*ck and will go right passed me a few metres away without noticing lol. Maybe GTA IV's cops aren't the most difficult in a fire fight or a chase, but they're objectively more balanced which is more important to me as a player. 3D era GTAs also had balancing issues as anything above 2 stars meant you couldn't escape wiithout going to a pay & spray or collecting police bribes.

I don't mind a challenge, but it also has to be fair. GTA IV is the only one that gets it right.

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

GTA V's cops are so unbalanced it's amazing it got through testing. I've been on top of buildings before out of sight of cops on the ground and they've still managed to know exactly where I am.

Other times they're dumb as f*ck and will go right passed me a few metres away without noticing lol. Maybe GTA IV's cops aren't the most difficult in a fire fight or a chase, but they're objectively more balanced which is more important to me as a player. 3D era GTAs also had balancing issues as anything above 2 stars meant you couldn't escape wiithout going to a pay & spray or collecting police bribes.

I don't mind a challenge, but it also has to be fair. GTA IV is the only one that gets it right.

I haven't seen the things you said. The thing is they're always consistent. Yes they are aggressive and unrealistic but they're consistent. The times they've gone past you is probably cause you have switched cars without a cop seeing you. If you do that, they will only recognize you if you're very close to them. When you switch cars your icon turns dark in the radar. 

Overall the best cops could be like this the aggression should be like gta 4.their shooting accuracy should be like gta 4.the system should be a combination of gta 4 and 5 by having both a search zone and a visible area in front of the cop inside the search zone. 

Also I wanna ask which did you find easier to escape? 

Edited by TheSantader25

Algonquin Assassin

GTA IV's easier to escape because the cool down time outside the radius is much shorter. Well from my experience anyway.

TheSantader25
1 minute ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

GTA IV's easier to escape because the cool down time outside the radius is much shorter. Well from my experience anyway.

Interesting. I always have problems with escaping IV cops. Escaping GTA 5 cops takes longer because of long cooldown but they are easier to escape. In gta 4 the circle is too big after 4 stars and the slow paced vehicles in the game don't help. 

Algonquin Assassin

No doubt when the radius grows they become harder to escape. There's an achievement/trophy for being able to escape on foot with a 4 star wanted level.

But I was mostly talking about the lower wanted levels. Still I just start using subway tunnels when things get dicey.

Am Shaegar

I find SA to be both; best and worst.

Below 4 stars, the cops aren't the best but its still good fun for what it is.

Above 4 stars, its a tie between VC and SA here, the cops are an absolute pain that I don't find them enjoyable as much as the cops in HD era, which are easy to manage on highest level.