2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

KY Jello

R* titles that could be movies/TV shows

KY Jello

It's probably never gonna happen and it's been beaten to death but R* has put out some good games with good stories just begging to be adapted into a TV show or a movie. Is it necessary? No but here's what I could see working

Max Payne - Yeah there was that Max Payne movie a couple years ago I never watched it and I heard it was pretty bad but Hollywood loves remakes. Should they try to make a Max Payne movie again? Maybe we get a movie trilogy covering the three games and Max's journey or maybe as a Netflix show?

Red Dead- I can see it working as a TV show like Deadwood or they make a movie out of John Marston's and Red's stories.

GTA- The only way I see GTA working is as a TV show. They have more time to develop the characters and story arcs over the course of a season. They can even switch between the time periods like what Fargo and Underbelly have done and share characters.One season could be set in the present day and the next could be set in the past.

Manhunt- Could work as a very gritty miniseries the plot with James Earl Cash could defintely work.

Body Harvest- That game came out when they were still DMA design but I think the plot is good for a movie or again a TV show might work.

Yeah it's probably not needed as we can enjoy the games a lot more than we ever would with a TV show or a movie but we can always imagine.

Edited by Zello

Michael

I think a good game for a movie would be Smugglers Run, since it has gangs and smuggling, I guess it would make a good action movie.

Femme Fatale

After what happened with Max Payne, I don't even want to think about it...Which sucks since a movie based on Bully would be awesome...

The Deadite

After what happened with Max Payne, I don't even want to think about it...Which sucks since a movie based on Bully would be awesome...

Bully would be a cool cartoon, there's nothing really outrageous or overly racy about it, they could air that sh*t in cartoon network and i would watch it.

Darkshadows

Bully would be a cool cartoon, there's nothing really outrageous or overly racy about it, they could air that sh*t in cartoon network and i would watch it.

The whole cartoon would be Jimmy doing roundhouse kicks lol

xXxRyanxXx

Red Dead Redemption would be a great movie and I would sign Kurt Russell to play John and Sam Elliott for Ricketts.

RogerWho

The Max Payne movie was pretty good actually. Not the greatest movie ever and not exactly accurate to the game but a very good outcome considering they needed to condense a 10-hour game with a bodycount in the hundreds and an overload of bosses into a 2-hour drama action movie. Despite the (first) game having a cinematic feeling, it doesn't really translate into a serious story very well. Just try to write down the exact actions you take in the game and see if it makes a sensible story on its own. Maybe in the 80's over the top macho action.

Open world games are even less likely to be translated into 2d linear entertainment well. Although I think the diamonds and heroin plots from GTA IV are good enough for a stand-alone movie (that's pretty rare for any video game), it wouldn't be the same without all the distractions you get from other missions and subplots.

Manhunt would probably make the most sense. After all, the premise of the game is that it's a TV show.

Also, Warriors. How about a movie based on that? :p

Femme Fatale

Manhunt would probably make the most sense. After all, the premise of the game is that it's a TV show.

Now that you mention it, it could work as a mini-series, with each episode being based on each level...Although it probably won't be worth it since all of its gorgeous gore will probably have to be toned down a lot...

otachi

We already had a max payne movie,which was decent i think.

Landotel

A mini La Noire epilogue film that shows us what happens after the death of detective Cole Phelps of the main characters in the game.

The Deadite

Red Dead Redemption would be a great movie and I would sign Kurt Russell to play John and Sam Elliott for Ricketts.

Kurt is way too old, put Hugh Jackman or Carl Urban instead. At least for the look, i don't know if they have the acting chops for Johnboy.

We already had a max payne movie,which was decent i think.

*Vomits*

Osho

RDR plot is a rip-off of the movie The Wild Bunch. So, it makes no sense for me to even think about any "R* title" that could be movies since Housers are known to be rip-off masters.

I guess a TV show would work but a movie, not possible. I don't find any R* title deserves that to be recommended for a movie.

KY Jello

L.A. Noire one season would cover a very large case or investigation

jaljax

We basically have a GTA movie & that's Crank(2006)

This is a very underrated thread .. i'm surprised there aren't any more replies, but i get your point about a GTA movie though.

Am Shaegar
Posted (edited)

San Andreas original, top notch storyline deserves to be made into a movie. It'll certainly break all records on the box office for sure.

Edited by Am Shaegar

GTAUrbanCamping

Id definitely say LA Noire, which could be related to Blue Bloods or any cop show really. But one with Cole Phelps badge 1247 would be cool.

Inttelix

I think GTA2, as promised 19 years ago.

There is something that makes this the ultimate GTA movie, and I know those who waited for it back then will know what I am talking about.

Jack Lupino
Posted (edited)

GTA 3/LCS would make a good tv series about Italian Mafias and crime family.
GTA V would make a nice action movie.
Can't say for Vice City or San Andreas as both of them were from inspired from movies itself

Edited by Jack Lupino

The Eddo
Posted (edited)

Max Payne 2 would make a great film since it's short enough. However, the story could do with some changes, such as Michelle Payne (Max's wife) reincarnating into Mona. That way, the parts where Max keeps looking for her around the whole damn NYC on a stormy night would make more sense and the story would get it's traditional scary flavor which is present in MP1, I don't know why Remedy didn't do this.

Hell, even that scene in the beginning of "The Things That I Want" level and the alternate ending would make sense then.

Not to mention, the story would automatically become longer as Max tries to find out who Mona really is.

Fun fact: The "A Criminal Mastermind" level in MP2 features the Ragnarock rooftop area, but it's not used and the roof has a plain black texture applied on it, you have to glitch out of the building and use the "Jump" console command to get up there.

Edited by The Eddo

BLOOD
Posted (edited)

Max Payne 2 or a TV series based on Bully. And a GTA movie will also do big at the box-office

Edited by BLOOD

KY Jello
Posted (edited)

Max Payne 2 or a TV series based on Bully. And a GTA movie will also do big at the box-office

A GTA movie shouldn't just be about making money at the box office it should be able to tell a story and really capture the feeling of the games. I don't think a GTA movie would work because it would be too short. There are a lot of things that we do in these games that would be difficult to include because of time.

I think GTA would work better as a TV show it would give them more time do a lot of story arcs you get to know the characters more and see them develop over the course of the season.

They could incorpate a lot of the famous things that the games do like rampages. At the end of a couple of episodes if the main character goes on a rampage or gets busted the next episode would start with the protagonist leaving the hospital or the police station.

They could also do what Fargo does and each season could be set in a different time period in a different city with a different set of characters.

Edited by Zello