3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why is it so hard for me to steer?

Deminu

I had to replace my F510 recently, which shorted out and started doing strange things to my USB hub, so I picked up a decent 3rd party Xbax 360 controller off Amazon.(Which, oddly, charged me $9 shipping even though it was already in-state...)

Anyway, fired up V, and obviously started driving around. The triggers seemed a bit difficult to use, probably because they have much less resistance, but at this point it's not such a big deal anymore. The deadzone is annoying, though.

What bugs me the most is the thumbsticks. I don't know if this is because they're shorter, but they feel like they have much less travel than the sticks on my F510. I've tried an Xbone controller at one of those Target displays before, and it had the same issue of the short travel, but I had hoped it was something new. Sadly, I was wrong.

Anyway, this makes it really difficult to drive. I end up swerving a ton because I get in an endless loop of over-correcting. It's way too difficult to make small adjustments in the steering, and I have to rapidly twitch my thumb to go around wide curves. It's driving me insane, and speeding through the curvy roads just north of the Vinewood hills now takes quite a bit of effort. Shouldn't this be fun?

I've tried x360_ce with 100% anti-deadzone and the lower-sensitivity slider all the way up. It's helped, but not a huge amount. 99% of the universe seems to praise the 360 controller is the best controller for PC gaming, so what am I missing? What do I do? .-.

Smoov_Operator

I drive better with a controller than the keyboard. i refuse to use the keyboard and mouse unless I am shooting. I never even tried flying with it. But I would love to be able to use a wheel, then maybe I would download 'dirt' games. I hate the 360 controllers, same with ps4 ones, and steam controllers are the worst imo. Xbox one controller is pretty nice. Wish I could afford an elite. I guess you just need to get a new wheel? I dunno..

I drive better with a controller than the keyboard. i refuse to use the keyboard and mouse unless I am shooting. I never even tried flying with it. But I would love to be able to use a wheel, then maybe I would download 'dirt' games. I hate the 360 controllers, same with ps4 ones, and steam controllers are the worst imo. Xbox one controller is pretty nice. Wish I could afford an elite. I guess you just need to get a new wheel? I dunno..

What?

This has nothing to do with keyboard vs controller... And I can't afford to get a wheel right now.

Smoov_Operator

yet your entire rant was about a controller not working? cool story bro. guess I am not part of the 99% who uses the 360 controller in 2016 or a pos logitech one.

• Like 1

yet your entire rant was about a controller not working? cool story bro. guess I am not part of the 99% who uses the 360 controller in 2016 or a pos logitech one.

My.. rant..? Idk if you read it all, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it not so difficult to drive. It was fine with my old F510, why is it so hard with a standard 360 controller?

Edited by Deminu

lol, I'm sure he's just misread or just skimmed through your post.

Anyway, I'm not sure why it's so difficult for you to steer with the 360 (or One) pad, but may I suggest simply uninstalling the drivers for all the pads youve had installed so far and reinstall the 360 pad again? Reinstalling drivers have, in the past, usually solved any issues I've had, mostly with my Logitech DFGT.

(Please search online if it's safe to do this before listening to my advice though, I don't want to responsible for breaking your new pad ;))

Edited by LevelDockSix
  • Like 1

Smoov_Operator

lol yea I guess I don't get it. Never had issues with controllers. Maybe it's the controller itself. Did you get a used one or something?

lol, I'm sure he's just misread or just skimmed through your post.

Anyway, I'm not sure why it's so difficult for you to steer with the 360 (or One) pad, but may I suggest simply uninstalling the drivers for all the pads youve had installed so far and reinstall the 360 pad again? Reinstalling drivers have, in the past, usually solved any issues I've had, mostly with my Logitech DFGT.

(Please search online if it's safe to do this before listening to my advice though, I don't want to responsible for breaking your new pad ;))

lol yea I guess I don't get it. Never had issues with controllers. Maybe it's the controller itself. Did you get a used one or something?

I kind of doubt the drivers would work, I think it's more to do with the thumbsticks themselves... V was released originally on the 360, so it seems weird that I find them so difficult to steer with. It wasn't used.

First make sure your controller is not faulty. I.e if you can try out the game with a different controller of the same kind, maybe on a different computer or a 360/xbone console.

My 360 controller for PC had a problem where the right stick got very unreliable, it had very low sensitivity to one side, so turning around in a shooter was difficult. Some strong wiggling usually resolved it for a time but eventually I had to fix it by disassembling the controller and replacing the plastic sticks. I suppose a new unit shouldn't have the problem but you never know.

If the controller is good, you just have to get used to it I guess. I've never used the F510 but from the gamepads I've had, the 360 one is pretty good and regarded as a gold standard.

• Like 2

First make sure your controller is not faulty. I.e if you can try out the game with a different controller of the same kind, maybe on a different computer or a 360/xbone console.

My 360 controller for PC had a problem where the right stick got very unreliable, it had very low sensitivity to one side, so turning around in a shooter was difficult. Some strong wiggling usually resolved it for a time but eventually I had to fix it by disassembling the controller and replacing the plastic sticks. I suppose a new unit shouldn't have the problem but you never know.

If the controller is good, you just have to get used to it I guess. I've never used the F510 but from the gamepads I've had, the 360 one is pretty good and regarded as a gold standard.

It's definitely not faulty, for non-driving-related games it actually works very well. The F510 seems like it either have sticks that have a higher range of motion, or the sticks are just taller. I might try swapping the plastic bits out, even though I prefer the feel of convex to concave thumbsticks.

Now that you mention it, you can buy some stick extenders for precision shooting, like this thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262562899952 There used to be a ton of these on ebay, right now I can only find this one, not sure where they went. Maybe that will help. Maybe there are other mods you could use, although at that point it would be probably easier/cheaper to get another F510 if that's what you prefer.

Also try if you can pull the sticks up a little bit. It's not exactly precise machinery, they can get stuck in a lower position which then give them an odd feeling.

Edited by RogerWho

Now that you mention it, you can buy some stick extenders for precision shooting, like this thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262562899952 There used to be a ton of these on ebay, right now I can only find this one, not sure where they went. Maybe that will help. Maybe there are other mods you could use, although at that point it would be probably easier/cheaper to get another F510 if that's what you prefer.

Also try if you can pull the sticks up a little bit. It's not exactly precise machinery, they can get stuck in a lower position which then give them an odd feeling.

Alright, I'll probably end up picking up a set of those. I also may end up just trying to fix the F510 for driving related games if nothing works.

Now that you mention it, I can pull the sticks up a fair amount, which makes the sticks feel pretty similar to the F510 sticks, but for some reason I haven't actually tried it in any game that uses the sticks for analog input in any prominent way.

TheHumanIsland

I had to replace my F510 recently, which shorted out and started doing strange things to my USB hub, so I picked up a decent 3rd party Xbax 360 controller off Amazon.(Which, oddly, charged me $9 shipping even though it was already in-state...)

Anyway, fired up V, and obviously started driving around. The triggers seemed a bit difficult to use, probably because they have much less resistance, but at this point it's not such a big deal anymore. The deadzone is annoying, though.

What bugs me the most is the thumbsticks. I don't know if this is because they're shorter, but they feel like they have much less travel than the sticks on my F510. I've tried an Xbone controller at one of those Target displays before, and it had the same issue of the short travel, but I had hoped it was something new. Sadly, I was wrong.

Anyway, this makes it really difficult to drive. I end up swerving a ton because I get in an endless loop of over-correcting. It's way too difficult to make small adjustments in the steering, and I have to rapidly twitch my thumb to go around wide curves. It's driving me insane, and speeding through the curvy roads just north of the Vinewood hills now takes quite a bit of effort. Shouldn't this be fun?

I've tried x360_ce with 100% anti-deadzone and the lower-sensitivity slider all the way up. It's helped, but not a huge amount. 99% of the universe seems to praise the 360 controller is the best controller for PC gaming, so what am I missing? What do I do? .-.

Well, you got a "3rd party" xbox 360 controller. Return it, if possible, and get an actual 360 controller, while supplies last. Don't get the windows one. It's 10 dollars more and the only difference is a drivers disc, which you can just download.

360 controller is the best controller ever made. And this is from someone who absolutely loved PS2 controller and enjoys his PS4 controller. I love those. BUT as far as PC gaming goes - with regards to support - especially for on-screen prompts - get a REAL xbox360 WIRED controller. NOT wireless. AVOID wireless!! it just isn't as good, has lag, though I hear it doesn't anymore, I can't "just blindly trust" that the lag issues are fixed.

Sony is releasing a dongle for PS4 controllers, but that doesn't help with on-screen button presses. Get a REAL, official xbox 360 controller, because that's what I have, and I haven't had any of the issues you describe. Return the one you have hopefully if you can, otherwise, use it for steamlink multiplayer or something and get yourself a nice official controller - as much as I love the PS controller design, XB360 official controllers are excellence in plastic and gold.

Edited by TheHumanIsland

^ while I agree the 360 controller is/was superb, the DS4 is getting a lot of love with newer games; a lot of games such as The Witcher 3include DS4 prompt icons now. If this was your main worry then it's going to be a thing of the past.

Well, you got a "3rd party" xbox 360 controller. Return it, if possible, and get an actual 360 controller, while supplies last. Don't get the windows one. It's 10 dollars more and the only difference is a drivers disc, which you can just download.

360 controller is the best controller ever made. And this is from someone who absolutely loved PS2 controller and enjoys his PS4 controller. I love those. BUT as far as PC gaming goes - with regards to support - especially for on-screen prompts - get a REAL xbox360 WIRED controller. NOT wireless. AVOID wireless!! it just isn't as good, has lag, though I hear it doesn't anymore, I can't "just blindly trust" that the lag issues are fixed.

Sony is releasing a dongle for PS4 controllers, but that doesn't help with on-screen button presses. Get a REAL, official xbox 360 controller, because that's what I have, and I haven't had any of the issues you describe. Return the one you have hopefully if you can, otherwise, use it for steamlink multiplayer or something and get yourself a nice official controller - as much as I love the PS controller design, XB360 official controllers are excellence in plastic and gold.

It's identical to an official controller.