Assassin's Creed Series

acmilano

On 11/17/2023 at 9:17 AM, Kyoto said:

AC Odyssey players: the Erymanthian Boar is the hardest boss in the game

Me:

giphy.gif

xjjACm8.jpg

But I seriously hope whoever designed this and the Lykaon Wolf boss battle steps on a Lego brick or two.

And it's on the highest difficulty? (with the enemy npcs also having same level as you etc)

I was trying different attacks every time with these "boss" battles, I think most difficult for me was the one cyclops (Steropes) aside the boar, was changing poison/fire arrows the entire time and aiming only at his eye, I think that was the weakness?- like in the myths.

Most were different in how you were fighting them so I liked that about it.

Edited by 44Orca

2dQaqi9.png purple-diamond-gem.gif

13 hours ago, 44Orca said:

And it's on the highest difficulty? (with the enemy npcs also having same level as you etc)

I was trying different attacks every time with these "boss" battles, I think most difficult for me was the one cyclops (Steropes) aside the boar, was changing poison/fire arrows the entire time and aiming only at his eye, I think that was the weakness?- like in the myths.

Most were different in how you were fighting them so I liked that about it.

I played it on hard mode where enemies are either the same level as me or a level below. Totally forgot there was a nightmare difficulty. The boar was still difficult though and I actually had to look up online how to cheese the boss battle. Damn thing kept killing me with those poisonous farts.

Played a little of Syndicate as Ubi gave it away for free.

The intro is perhaps the worst intro to any AC game I've played, it's janky, cutscene heavy and  just too long. Once you reach London and the open world the game does start to feel more interesting though, the whole gang aspect is kinda neat and the relatively modern urban setting is nice.

Gameplay is a bit clunky, the climbing, idk, coming from the more modern AC games with their one button smooth free running and climbing it just feels a bit eh. I do prefer the AC RPG combat as well but it's not bad, I've been going more stealth focused w/ Evie and it's been decent.

Playing it does make me wonder what an AC RPG set in the last 100-200 years would look and play like lol. Feel like they need to make a game or two, be it Mirage style or RPG style, in more modern setting.

Remember when I said it's the worst one when it comes to the climbing part, it's so "safe".. :kekw:

I think there's some issue with the textures or image quality with Syndicate, there's something off about it.. Same was with Unity but here more apparent, I don't know what it is.

I might be wrong but it feels like Syndicate has no AF option on PC - might be because it's a meh PC port and it's still stuck with the console AF setting which last-gen was like 4x max, which is poo. But that might explain the muddy texture look it has in places.

And yea, the climbing is just... clunky. It doesn't feel smooth and it doesn't do what I expect it to do half the time. I've not played Unity where I know the parkour is praised but the one button style in the RPG's is so, so much better.

Upgrades break the game. So try not to invest too much in health and additional ammo/throwables.

On the other hand, that means the game has meaningful progression, innit.

6 minutes ago, Adam Jensen said:

Upgrades break the game. So try not to invest too much in health and additional ammo/throwables.

This for Syndicate or for another game? What you mean by break the game?

(I personally didn't notice anything bad with that but ..not that I paid much attention to it)

It's a double edged sword, games are meant to become more challenging as you gain access to more skills and abilities, but you're also meant to feel more powerful as you progress too.

It's basically impossible to strike a perfect balance so you tend to get games that either do the increasing challenge or the increasing power level. I'm an RPG fan first and foremost, so I like the increasing power level.

On 11/29/2023 at 8:05 PM, Jason said:

On the other hand, that means the game has meaningful progression, innit.

Yes and no.

I really enjoyed the challenge in the beginning when you have to actually make a plan how you're going to dispatch guards. Later on, when you level up, it becomes trivial and a bit tedious. You just waltz in and kill everyone like it's nothing. It feels button-mashy and it isn't fun AT ALL. There's no balance to it. Feeling powerful at the expense of the fun-factor is bad design.

Edited by Adam Jensen

• 2 months later...

https://insider-gaming.com/assassins-creed-infinty-news/

tl;dr

• Assassin's Creed Infinity sounds essentially like a playable launcher for all future AC products, you will launch games directly from it, starting with this years Red. The Infinity hub will also have various things like a cosmetic store and "projects" which are, and brace your self, mini battle passes.
  • Their plan is to put a new mainline game out every 2 years with smaller projects and DLC in between.
  • Red is the next mainline game, featuring two playable protagonists, a black male samurai and a female shinobi. Hexe, scheduled for 2026, is the game set in Europe during the witch trials and will per Henderson be the first AC game since Rogue and the first mainline AC game to finally feature a lead female protagonist, sounds like there will be no male option in that game.
  • Also in the works are a Black Flag remake like previously rumoured, "Nebula" which he reports is set in "India, Aztec Empire and Mediterranean", a 4 player PvE co-op game, another MP project and another remake.

I'm looking forward to Red and Hexe, I think they'll be fun games at the very least but f*cking hell Ubi lol. I know the entire company pretty much is in the dumps after years of trend chasing trying and failing to get their own successful GaaS product but the whole Infinity thing sounds like a complete waste of resources and time. The games will be fine w/o it.

ITSUMANGAMING

Hexe is probably the more interesting game but I'm looking forward to Red and the whole samurai-ninja shenanigans. I hope they go strong on the shinobi fantasy, make the period feel as epic as possible. 

Red is set soon after the Ezio trilogy it seems so it's back to Assassins and Templars proper too

Assassin creed games mostly haven't

been in the discussion for GOTY in a while and even if it's not the definitive metric, I hope Red changes that

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Nebula" which he reports is set in "India, Aztec Empire and Mediterranean

I wonder if it will be set in the same time period for all 3 regions and if so, when. I feel it's a slightly random collection of regions with no strong connection apart from being ancient cultures though for me seeing India during the eras of the Royal kingdoms in AC will be fun

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Hexe, scheduled for 2026, is the game set in Europe during the witch trials and will per Henderson be the first AC game since Rogue and the first mainline AC game to finally feature a lead female protagonist, sounds like there will be no male option in that game.

I'm a bit slow lol but whys Rogue mentioned? Even if the RPG protagonists aren't canon, shouldn't it be since Syndicate since it had Evie whereas Rogue was Shay? 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

and another remake

Intriguing, wonder what this will be. Assassins creed 1 maybe, but I'm playing it right now and the structure of the game is really repetitive and won't go well for today's era. They could shake it up hence why itd be a remake but that's like a whole new game and would it be worth it? 

I don't see it being any other AC though, iirc 2 and 3 got remastered already and IV is getting it's own remake...post Unity the games feel too new to get a remake I suppose. Probably 1 itself? Seeing Jerusalem, Acre and Damascus in today's graphics without the grey filter will be special if so

Edited by ITSUMANGAMING
  • Like 1

JP0cYXG.png

7 hours ago, ITSUMANGAMING said:

I'm a bit slow lol but whys Rogue mentioned? Even if the RPG protagonists aren't canon, shouldn't it be since Syndicate since it had Evie whereas Rogue was Shay? 

Rogue I believe is the only AC game so far that only has a female a protagonist. The rest that feature a female protagonist also have a male protagonist.

It's been long speculated / rumoured that the developers have been dying to make a female only protagonist AC game for ages, Syndicate I think was intended to be Evie only and I think they tried it with the female protagonists after but the top brass always said no.

Do agree though, Hexe sounds the more interesting especially as the leaks point to it being dark, but Red hopefully is a bit of fun. I don't expect GoTY worthy games mind you, cause frankly as long as Ubi's leadership remains as is I don't think the publisher will ever put out a genuine GoTY candidate, the way they make games and what they force into their games will always hold them back against the truly great games that come out every year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Rogue I believe is the only AC game so far that only has a female a protagonist. The rest that feature a female protagonist also have a male protagonist.

Uh, what’re you talking about? Rogue has Shay as the protagonist, who’s, y’know, a guy? Are you talking about Shao Jun? The main protagonist of AC Chronicles: China? Or Aveline, the main protagonist of AC Liberation?

• YEE 1

ITSUMANGAMING

Yeah Rogues hero is the male Templar Shay Cormac 😛 too many AC games to keep track of tbf! 

Kassandra should have been the only protagonist in Odyssey, especially after

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

(Ignore this) 

Spoiler

Her appearance in Valhalla making her the canon hero

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't expect GoTY worthy games mind you, cause frankly as long as Ubi's leadership remains as is I don't think the publisher will ever put out a genuine GoTY candidate, the way they make games and what they force into their games will always hold them back against the truly great games that come out every year.

Hoping for Red to turn the tide but perhaps you're right. A main line game every 2 years and smaller ones in b/w...perhaps one among them could strike gold eventually! 

Edited by ITSUMANGAMING

JP0cYXG.png

Oh yea I mean China.

Adam Jensen
On 2/26/2024 at 10:34 PM, Jason said:

https://insider-gaming.com/assassins-creed-infinty-news/

tl;dr

• Assassin's Creed Infinity sounds essentially like a playable launcher for all future AC products, you will launch games directly from it, starting with this years Red. The Infinity hub will also have various things like a cosmetic store and "projects" which are, and brace your self, mini battle passes.
  • Their plan is to put a new mainline game out every 2 years with smaller projects and DLC in between.

This is supposed to be a selling point? Turning it into a live service experience? One that everyone already knows won't last long.

I suspect the idea for the SP games is more of Valhalla's servicey stuff - premium cosmetics, daily/weekly quests to earn premium currency, seasonal events and then DLC expansions.

The problem for me is that... I just have no interest all in returning to a single player game for some Christmas event or something, or to log on to dailies in hopes a cosmetic I like pops up on the FOMO rotational store.

I just don't see how it's gonna be what they want, but for whatever reason, and it's actually f*cking mindboggling this is the case, they still want persist with their GaaS led approach to development across all their studios. It's been an absolute disaster for them and is the core reason why they're struggling HARD, but they're STILL going with it despite it resulting in failure after failure. Beyond AC they keep doing closed beta playtesting for unnannounced online games, be it co-op stuff, PvP stuff, whatever, and most of them get canned.

The whole Infinity hub is just... idek. Someone at Ubisoft thinks this is the future and their GaaS approach is at some point gonna work, but it's been years and years of failure with it at this point lol.

More info on Red from Henderson: https://insider-gaming.com/assassins-creed-red-exclusive-details/

"To start, the Assassin’s Creed franchise as a whole isn’t moving to a new engine necessarily, but will be using a substantial evolution of it named the ‘Anvil Pipeline’. Sources explained that the Anvil Pipeline allows all of the various Assassin’s Creed studios (of which there are many) to work from one unified branch, rather than having different versions and branches. The most means that moving forward, Assassin’s Creed will benefit visually from the lines of ray-traced global illumination and virtual geometry.

The move to the Anvil Pipeline has meant that the teams have had to completely overhaul everything in the series, too, including animations, its parkour system, dynamic weather, and more."

"Combat in Assassin’s Creed Red was described to me as being somewhat similar to Valhalla, but featuring a lot more gore, including blood, and decapitations. Stealth also plays a major role in Red, somewhat akin to Splinter Cell, the player can extinguish torches, hide in tall grass and bushes, and even go prone whenever they please.

Footage provided to Insider Gaming under the condition that the footage does not go public also showed a major evolution to the Valhalla Settlement feature. In Red, players will be able to build their settlement in a big way named the ‘Hideout’. The Hideout is where the player will be able to build, at their own will, the likes of an armory, dojo, alter, and more. These buildings are customizable, too, from being able to pick the building location, to being able to choose your roof design to the interior layout and where you can display the likes of your weapons and armor can be displayed."

As someone who wasn't huge on the classic AC games but enjoyed Odyssey and Valhalla, I'm liking what I'm hearing here my self honestly. Sounds like it could be fun.

• 2 months later...
DODI3OG

Just bought AC Mirage last night, and daaamn! I'm loving the game. It's been 12 years since I properly played an Assassin's Creed game. Tried Valhalla for a few hours, but the combat and the overall feel didn't click for me.

The controls seem to be a little stiffer than AC Valhalla's, but it still feels clunky and loose. I think the PS360 games had stiffer controls.

I'm still 3-4 hours into the game, but I'm loving the gameplay and stealth. Never been much of a stealth player in the old AC games since it was easy to mow down an entire platoon just by parrying and countering. Not this time, so I go stealth first. I'm just trying to have as much Dirham as possible to get the Far East Merchant Outfit as I think it is a good blend of what Assassins should look like in that era.

• 2 weeks later...

Been thinking about it for a while but finally downloaded Odyssey again and have started up a new save on that. I had wondered how well it's aged, given I played it at the start of 2019 (pretty much right after I finished playing RDR2 SP) and while I really enjoyed it then I had wondered if there was some rose tinted glasses going on when I think back on it now, and how much I prefer it to Valhalla.

But there's no rose tinted glasses, Odyssey is still a genuine great game. Combat's is still fun, itemisation and progression is still fun, Kassandra's still great, the tone of the game is great, the music is great, visuals, everything.

Hope the team behind it can pull of another winner with Shadows this year.

I lowkey thought the bounty system in Odyssey was brilliant, and naval combat was also top-notch. Also, the skill system was faaar better than Valhalla's IMO.

Visuals as well. I'm not sure why Valhalla was a step back in that department. Odyssey's graphics during cutscenes looked great, especially the character models.

A somehow updated AC: Odyssey with DLSS/FSR support would be something I'd be 110% interested in.

The bounty/merc system is something I actually forgot about, but remembered how cool it was now I've been playing it a bit again. It also ties in really well with the games loot system, it's actually rewarding to go out and kill them. It also makes for some really good emergent moments where sh*t hits the fan, you've racked up a high bounty, and you keep hearing that bloody horn go off as mercs pile in lmao.

If by skill system you mean skill trees then IMO skill trees in both are basically the same really, they both effectively do the same thing just in different ways, I didn't mind Valhalla's. The main issue for me in Valhalla was progression from itemisation. In Odyssey you're finding new weapons and armour all the way up to the end, Purple (epic) gear being more customisable, Gold (legendary) having set bonuses, so you have a choice there, but you're always finding new gear and if you find something perfect for your build you can upgrade it easily to your level. It's a great system and easily one of the best loot systems I've experienced in any open world RPG. Also you can equip two weapons at once and swap between them, which is really nice.

The actual abilities though are far more fun in Odyssey IMO, but they are also a bit more fantasical, with Valhalla being a bit more grounded. Melee combat in Valhalla was fun as well, but Odyssey being more hack'n'slash is more up my street, and also the two handed weapons in Odyssey are 10/10, especially the axes and hammers.

And yea, naval combat is something AC games do SO F*CKING WELL. The whole ship vs ship combat then the boarding still feels genuinely great and it only makes the fact we're still yet to have a proper single player game built around it mind boggling.

It's made a little disappointed that Shadows doesn't sound like it'll have naval combat, cause I forgot how much fun it is. Hope the next one, whenever that is, features naval combat again.