Assassin's Creed Series (Ubisoft)

acmilano

Leftist Bastard

Rogue was fantastic. It was basically IV gameplay wise but refined and perfected with the added benefit of a really, really great story that treads new grounds while giving us familiar characters as part of the journey. The Kenway trilogy is the series at its best, i'd say.

• Like 3

chronic lumbago

Maybe we can discuss it because I didn't feel it like I expected before buying it. I was pumped with the idea of an assassin going.. rouge. It had some good moments, like the whole initiation thing but IMO they failed to portray the Templars as the bad guys, Order above all things. They're the clear villains in the series and yet, out of all the possible scenarios, they chose to fight the good cause in the situation of Rogue.

Aren't assassins meant to be bad, actually? I liked the more or less good hearted assassins of the previous games but I expected Rogue to be the exact opposite. I hoped we'll follow an evilish plan of the templars in this game, to truly show off the other side in it's full potential. I understand there's a gray side to every conflict and motivebut Rogue could've been about a mourderous, egoistic psychopath, crushing everything in his way in order to reach his selfish goals.

That's how I felt. With all the potential, I felt the game was a missed opportunity.

Sunrise Driver

No, people, who are new to the series, should start from 1 and play ALL 3D games. Including III. Including Bloodlines. At least once.

Leftist Bastard

Maybe we can discuss it because I didn't feel it like I expected before buying it. I was pumped with the idea of an assassin going.. rouge. It had some good moments, like the whole initiation thing but IMO they failed to portray the Templars as the bad guys, Order above all things. They're the clear villains in the series and yet, out of all the possible scenarios, they chose to fight the good cause in the situation of Rogue.

Aren't assassins meant to be bad, actually? I liked the more or less good hearted assassins of the previous games but I expected Rogue to be the exact opposite. I hoped we'll follow an evilish plan of the templars in this game, to truly show off the other side in it's full potential. I understand there's a gray side to every conflict and motivebut Rogue could've been about a mourderous, egoistic psychopath, crushing everything in his way in order to reach his selfish goals.

That's how I felt. With all the potential, I felt the game was a missed opportunity.

Say what?

That notion of the Templars being clear and cut bad guys is nonexistent in the series outside of ACII and Brotherhood [and those game suffered for it] and it goes against everything established in AC1, III, Black Flag, Unity and Rogue.

chronic lumbago

Yeah well, there's a gray moral area to everything and especially in current day sequences they are the "bad" guys.

It's just that the game didn't do what I wished to see. My hopes were up in the sky to see the evil side of the templars. I still liked it, but I hoped they would take a different direction.

It's been years since I last played it. It was the last game I bought on my 360 and got a PS4 soon after (Along with FC4 and Black Flag) so maybe that's why it didn't really flash me? If I'm really wrong or missed something then forgive me but I forgot about it quite quickly.

HaythamKenway

Rogue is all about personal agendas, biases and blind loyalty and how those can drive the conflict between the Assassins and Templars rather than a real difference of ideas. Both it and especially Unity also deal with the theme of the war being driven just by empty factionalism and both sides being political entities only seeking to prolong their existence with the top priority being preserving and strenghtening their own power base at the expense of the other group. "Freedom"? "Order"? Those are nice banners to wave, but actually mean very little in practice.

Shay didn't become a Templar because he believed in the Order - no, it was just a combination of the Assassins wronging him and Munro appealing to him with his concern for the common people and the urban renewal project. Simple as that. He was not a big picture thinker or a man of principle. But he had a rough upbringing and knew first hand the plight of the lower class folk. Then he fell in with the Assassins through Liam and parroted what they taught him, believing himself to have a moral high ground. At last Lisbon shook him by hitting the exact one spot that could move him - just how insignificant the "muggles" really are for the Assassins within their grand plans.

Then Achilles acts like a hotheaded moron (okay, really not defending the writing here), all the Assassins eat the stupid pills (reeeally not defending the writing here) and Shay ends up on his own again.

Note how long it actually takes for him to be initiated into the Order afterwards - Munro eases him in and it's a relatively slow, gradual process. The Templars go to extra lenghts to show him the kinder, more selfless side of their organization. And so the process repeats, just as oblivious Shay was to the Assassins' own dirt, he happily overlooks everything wrong with the Templars to preserve the facade of righteousness. Excusing everything he does with the simple reasoning that Achilles needs to be stopped, whatever the cost.

And eventually he ends up being complicit in Germain's plan (at least, as far as having knowledge of it). Which sounds insane and completely contradictory given Shay's characterization through the game, right? Well, yeah. But I think I see the point Farrese was trying to make here. Like I said, Shay, for better or for worse, is a grunt. If you give him a cause worth following, he'll follow to the end. In the epilogue, we see the culmination of the trajectory Shay was on twice through the game, once as an Assassin and now as a Templar and one that was also mirrored by Adéwalé. It was to show how blinded and misguided even good people can become in these organizations.

So, in that way, the Templars being shown as clean good guys and the Assassins getting the Borgia treatment was completely appropriate. This game isn't about the Templar doctrine. Just like AC II and Brotherhood weren't about the Creed (they really weren't). Rogue was about the individuals pursuing their own small interests, while these organizations bend them and make them complacent to the greater evils they inflict upon the world at large and just how easy it is to paint the other side as honorable and justified, once the series drops the villain bias and explicitly frames them as heroes. Rogue is a feel-good Templar game. Just like Brotherhood was a feel-good Assassin game.

Edited by HaythamKenway
  • Like 2

BenMitchell90

I love Rogue. Immensely. Cynically speaking, it's pretty much just a "Greatest Hits" collection of the previous games in the series, basically taking AC IV's gameplay and giving it an AC III coat of paint while throwing in features from other games like Brotherhood's property buying and a simplified take on Revelations' focus on bombs, but if you ask me, that's hardly a bad thing. In terms of shining in all aspects from gameplay to story, I think AC IV is the peak of the series so far, and with its various little improvements and additions, Rogue might even be a little better. Whether I prefer AC IV or Rogue just comes down to whether I'm in the mood for Edward's more adventurous yet intriguing and thoughtful pirate adventure, or Shay's darker journey combined with a great sequel to IV and prequel to III. You really can't go wrong with either one.

As for the story, I thought it was fantastic, and Shay's one of my favorite protagonists of the series, which was especially surprising to me considering how the trailers made him look. He was presented as this grimdark edgelord anti-hero who shanks Assassins while sneering "psssh... nothin personnel...kid...", but he actually turned out to be a much more fascinating and likable character who is driven to do what he genuinely feels is right, and if that means turning on the Assassins, then so be it. The supporting cast were great, and returning characters Adewale and especially Achilles and Haytham (BTW, I loved how we saw a much darker side of Haytham in this game) really stole the show. And if you're a fan of III's story, Rogue is a must-play - not only do you get more Haytham, but it adds so much to Achilles' arc, and greatly deepens his role in III. As for the historical depiction? While it's true that the French and Indian War (or Seven Years' War, if you prefer) is pretty much just a backdrop to Shay's story, I think they did a pretty good job with what we did see of it. I also loved seeing a young George Washington.

As for the Templar emphasis, I loved that as well. While they did make it a bit too easy by depicting the Assassins at their worst, I did really like rooting for the "bad" guys for once. Another little thing I loved? In many other AC games (especially the Ezio trilogy), the Assassins ally themselves with thieves, mercenaries, etc. for a little extra muscle. But now that we're playing from the Templars' perspective, we see the Assassins' allies as dangerous criminals that need to be wiped out to clean up the city. It's a fairly small detail, but I loved how it shifts your perspective on things.

For all my praise, I do wish that Ubi Sofia had been given the chance to really make Rogue much more than a III/IV mashup. As it is, the game is great, but it could have been AC II-level legendary if they'd been able to really expand on it and make it more its own unique thing. In a perfect world, Ubi would have realized that there was no way in hell Unity would be properly done in time for a holiday release, and delayed it and shifted focus to Rogue as their 2014 AC, and as such made it a bit bigger, better, and implement some of the new features that Unity was introducing. But it is what it is, and even if 2014's "main" AC game was overall a bit of a disappointment, at least we one great AC that year.

• Like 1

Payne Killer

I just got the Armor of Brutus in Brotherhood, pretty cool. I'm almost finished rebuilding Rome, afterwards I'll finish up on Revelations and try to get 100% synchronization.

• Like 2

QELXDiM.jpg

KratosDrake

Alright, thanks for the comments, people. Think I'll look up Rogue and see if it fits my way of gameplay.

Other news: Almost getting platinum in II now, just some stuff left. I'm on the start of sequence 10, already obtained the Armor/Sword of Altaïr, all paintings, all armors, all weapons, all models, all renovations, collecting Castello treasures... I just need to get all the treasures, complete the missions and then continue on to Canareggio and stuff. Yay.

• Like 1

dante財閥

f7JUU8H.jpg

Leaked picture of the protagonist on some gamestop merchandise. looks pretty badass to me.

Edited by dante財閥
  • Like 4

BenMitchell90

Aw hell yeah. I love everything about this, and it's great to see the return of a bow for the first time since AC III (though this time, a little better aiming mechanics, m'kay?). The shield's an interesting addition too, we've never had a shield in an AC game before.

• Like 1

Leftist Bastard

My only complaint is that he has no gloves. Gloves make everything cooler.

That's literally it. Looking great otherwise; the shield implies a very different combat system.

HaythamKenway

Aw hell yeah. I love everything about this, and it's great to see the return of a bow for the first time since AC III (though this time, a little better aiming mechanics, m'kay?). The shield's an interesting addition too, we've never had a shield in an AC game before.

I really hope this means a return to slower, more methodical combat of low-level Unity.

Or, as usual, they'll just rip off Dark Souls or whatever. Either way works, I guess.

• Like 1

if that 'leaked' picture of the main character on the t-shirt is real, I'm gonna' go ahead and say that the design of the imagery behind him looks Egyptian. like a golden scarab beneath the sun god Ra. there's also distinct hieroglyphics in the top right.

I've been dying to see Assassin's Creed go to ancient Egypt or feudal Japan since the very first game. this could be f/cking epic. apparently they leaked these screencaps, too.

gallery-1453816075-ac.jpg

gallery-1488556692-assassins-creed.png

gallery-1494409745-ac-o.jpg

in Black Flag, you could explore the Abstergo offices and hack different email accounts. one of those accounts detailed an internal Abstergo memo that listed the various time periods from which they have ancestor DNA to work with. we can see several of the games that have already been made + a potential glimpse into where the series could still be going in the future.

sx9bywN.png

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 1

dante財閥

TBF, leaks have basically confirmed Egypt for a long time now. I too have been desperate for an Egyptian setting. I hoping the leaks of Egypt - Greece and Rome for a new Ancient trilogy are true as well.

• Like 2

Sparta / Greece would be badass.

it would also be amazing if they could make an Assassin's Creed game in the ancient jungles of Central and/or South America.

how awesome would it be to explore the cities of the Aztecs or the Incas or the Mayans? to be an assassin defending against the invasion of European explorers and Spanish conquistadors.

• Like 2

Sonny_Black

Just because of the Egypt, I want to see more on this game. Probably because Egypt=mystery in my mind.

Edited by anthony

Leftist Bastard

Summer of Love would be good for a movie. Not sure how they'd turn that into a game.

I'm just so happy we're getting an AC game. People complain about the yearly releases but there was a weird void when they skipped a year.

• Like 2

The shield could be interesting, that's gonna bring a whole new element of combat gameplay, hopefully more parrying rather than the button mashing that Syndicate was.. which lacked any weight whatsoever.

Honestly I'm glad they skipped a year, for me Syndicate was absolute trash. The fact that the setting is far older than we've had is already a plus.

Shyabang Shyabang

Black Flag is an epic game, especially for the time that it was released! I liked the naval battles and the memorable characters (who are based on the real pirates who existed during the 18th century). I'm surprised that I wasn't aware of this game on the year it was released.

• Like 3

Payne Killer

It's weird how well Ass Creed II still holds up, its got my favorite map of the Ezio trilogy.

• Like 4

QELXDiM.jpg

KratosDrake

if that 'leaked' picture of the main character on the t-shirt is real, I'm gonna' go ahead and say that the design of the imagery behind him looks Egyptian. like a golden scarab beneath the sun god Ra. there's also distinct hieroglyphics in the top right.

I've been dying to see Assassin's Creed go to ancient Egypt or feudal Japan since the very first game. this could be f/cking epic. apparently they leaked these screencaps, too.

gallery-1453816075-ac.jpg

gallery-1488556692-assassins-creed.png

gallery-1494409745-ac-o.jpg

in Black Flag, you could explore the Abstergo offices and hack different email accounts. one of those accounts detailed an internal Abstergo memo that listed the various time periods from which they have ancestor DNA to work with. we can see several of the games that have already been made + a potential glimpse into where the series could still be going in the future.

sx9bywN.png

Renaissance = done, with II and Brotherhood

Ottoman = done, with Revelations

American Colonies = done, with Rogue, III (Liberation too) and Black Flag

England = done, with Syndicate

Crusades = done, with I (Bloodlines and Altaïr's Chronicles too)

French Revolution = done, with Unity

The other ones were not done yet, so I'm suspecting one or more of these settings will end up being the focus of future AC games. Origins seems to imply it is Ancient Egypt (well before Jesus Christ ever thought of being born), but I wouldn't be surprised if the 13th century Egypt (1201-1300) route was taken.

There are still the routes that weren't there, of course, but all of those ended up being sidestuff (Discovery being set on 15th century Spain, Chronicles being set on India, China and Russia, Project Legacy being set on various periods, Initiates being set on presenttime, the movie being set on the Spanish Inquisition).

My theory: Japan, Taiwan and United States (not necessarily in this order) are going to be the settings of the next AC games. Possible sidestuff are going to be set either on presenttime or in different periods.

EDIT: Woohoo, finally got platinum on II! I wish I had the DLCs of Forlì and Savonarola, but you can't have everything *shrug*

Edited by KratosDrake

Sunrise Driver

You can have them on PC (hence why PC rocks). Or you could pick complete edition, it's 2017 after all.

And Taiwan - no way.

Edited by Street Mix

BenMitchell90

So I just recently beat AC II for the third time, and it's as fantastic as ever. The reason this is worth bringing up is that this is the first time I've played it with the DLC sequences. I really enjoyed them, and they do make the game feel more complete. While not a lot happens storywise (it's basically "Oh f*ck we gotta hide the Apple, oh no we lost the Apple, yay we got the Apple back" with the historical backdrops of the Battle of Forli and the Bonfire of the Vanities), and it does slow down the pacing when the game is really starting to cook, there are a lot of great moments. I always liked Forli, and disliked how it was underused outside of a stop on Ezio and Leonardo's Road Trip Adventure, but here it gets a chance to shine (even if its sequence is pretty short). And even if Bonfire of the Vanities drags on a bit (I think 9 targets was a little too many), the story does feel a bit more complete with one more visit to Florence, and Ezio gets a great speech that shows how far he's come as a character.

And with the two DLC sequences, the game loses that godawful "Oh no the memories are FUBAR, also please buy our DLC" cutscene, so there's that.

So yeah, AC II, love it. And it really shines with the remaster, IMO. Venice has never looked more gorgeous. And oh man... Venice. I keep forgetting somehow just how much I love this place. Not only is the city really fun to explore, not only does it look beautiful, but the music... oh my god, the music. Easily my favorite ambient music in the whole series. That first one in particular... oh man, on a good day it can get me choked up. Just so heartbreakingly beautiful.

Now I've moved on to Brotherhood, and while the remaster doesn't shine quite as much as AC II's (probably because it needed it a little less), the game does look better than I remember it looking on 360, and it was a great-looking game to begin with. One thing that irritated me about the original release was how the top part of the screen would be taken up by a weird glow at times - it didn't hold a candle to Mafia III's lighting woes, but it was still distracting. And while it's still kind of there, it's been adjusted to where now the whole screen is bathed in sort of a gentle glow, which looks a lot better.

As for the game itself... I've gotta admit, I've always held Brotherhood at a bit of a distance (even though I've always liked it). It just felt a bit too rehash-y and introduced an annoying feature in those damn optional objectives. But this time around, I think it's really clicking for me. While it does feel very similar to its predecessor, they've made lots of little improvements here and there that smooth out the experience. I really love the killstreaks in particular; while it does rob combat of its challenge a bit, it feels really satisfying and is perfect for clearing out whole packs of dudes when you're in a hurry, and you can just ignore it anyway if you feel it makes the game a bit too easy. And the property management! I've found that I'm a complete sucker for games with property management - Saints Row, Vice City Stories, The Godfather, Scarface - and I'm not gonna lie, I've gotten a bit addicted to taking over Rome one building at a time. While it does make the pacing a little wonky (just last night I did the mission that teaches you about Borgia Towers, after I'd already taken out like 60% of 'em), it's just too much fun, and the monetary reward is sweet.

And for some reason... I've been getting a hankering to play AC 1 again. I skipped it this time around because I'd recently beat it late last year, and it's just got so much drudgery in between the sweet spots. But those sweet spots were sweet enough to almost make up for it. The Holy Land, Altair (even with the unfitting voiceover, I just loved his journey from arrogant prick to kinder and more humbled Master Assassin material, and the outcome of his relationship with Malik was just so touching), the assassinations. It was really kind of a special game, as rough around the edges it was and how tech demo-y it feels compared to the later games. I dunno. I'm sort of considering doing sort of a Machete Order deal and playing AC 1 between Brotherhood and Revelations. But then again, considering that Origins is set before the rest of the series, maybe I'll start a new chronological playthrough, starting with that.

...Gawd, I'm such a nerd. :p

• Like 2

KratosDrake

You can have them on PC (hence why PC rocks). Or you could pick complete edition, it's 2017 after all.

And Taiwan - no way.

Poor. *cry* What, do you think I post in mobile because I like to showoff?

Leftist Bastard

Can't talk AC soundtrack without those two

And while we're at it, both together?

• Like 2

BenMitchell90

Oh YES. There's a reason "Ezio's Family" has pretty much become the main theme of the series.

I'm still chugging merrily along through Brotherhood, and wow... I haven't played through it since my first time in late '14, and I do not remember it being this good. I enjoyed it my first playthrough, but I'm just having a complete and utter blast this time around. The storyline's probably the weakest of the Ezio trilogy IMO, but it's still enjoyable (I love seeing Ezio grow more into Master Assassin material), and the gameplay is just so, so much fun. Having your own squad of Assassins (they need to bring this back dammit) and being able to level them up, the property management, taking over Rome one step at a time... it's just so good. And Rome itself is just such a great setting, and holds up surprisingly well when compared to more recent sandboxes - it's crowded and full of activity, pretty varied (I also love that it's not just the main city itself, but also the countryside and lots of little towns - it's not AC III's Frontier, but it's still pretty damn cool), and looks fantastic. I can't wait to get to Revelations and Constantinople. :)

• Like 3

How about a assassin creed set in mongolia with the khans? Didnt they take over a pretty good portion of europe/asia? Also an assassin creed with alexander the great

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.