3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Good PC, low FPS spikes?

Ivibezz

Hey guys, so I got GTA V for PC yesterday after being a long time console player, I transferred my character etc and it was all fine, but I notice whenever I drive in a large open space with other cars, or I'm in a race, my FPS drops massively, I usually get over 70 FPS when just walking around normally, but in a race or driving around otherwise I get constant dips to around 15-20 FPS?

PC specs:

CPU AMD FX-8320 (overclocked to 4 ghz)

8 GB RAM

AMD R9 270X graphics card

I have changed the settings multiple times, changed everything... the same issue continues.

I've also tried updating my graphics card drivers, but when it gets to the final installation I keep getting an error on that, this is really annoying me because my friends who have less powerful CPUs/GPUs are completely able to play this game FPS drop free most of the time?

The FPS drops are so frequent, literally about 3/4 of my game time has been with a low FPS of around 20 because of the amount of driving/racing involved in the game.

Thank you, any help will be gratefully taken.

Edited by Ivibezz

AMD + gta games = always some problems, your friends probably have some nvidia card

Edited by Jaanus949

AMD + gta games = always some problems, your friends probably have some nvidia card

My friend has an AMD Radeon 7870 HD

It seems like whenever I drive around in a popular area or am in a race or just driving around where there's lot of rendering occurring that is when I lag. My friend who is also running an AMD GPU is not having this issue despite his rig being less powerful for gaming than mine??? I am so confused. Here is the version of my driver on PC for my R9 270X.....

c07f12c9bc55a4190d6bb550805e9701.png

do you use v-sync ?

Edited by Ivibezz

this is sorta normal because the game has to load more details at a quicker speed

this is sorta normal because the game has to load more details at a quicker speed

It's not 'sorta normal' dude, races are practically unplayable!

then atleast try to use nvidia gpu or that worse amd

This game, for best results, needs FAST cpu and FAST memory(1866+).

AMD 8320(no matter how overclocked) is just an average cpu, even below average, compared to a modern Intel cpu(quad core i5 or i7).

Edited by mahanddeem

I'm not buying a new GPU? My system should be perfectly fine to run this game at 60 FPS..

AMD 8320(no matter how overclocked) is just an average cpu, even below average, compared to a modern Intel cpu(quad core i5 or i7).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FX8320-4-0GHz-Socket-Retail/dp/B009O7YU56Here's my CPU

should be but it isn't doing well, can you try intel cpu, try to find cheaper quadcore to test it

Edited by Jaanus949

should be but it isn't doing well, can you try intel cpu, try to find cheaper quadcore to test it

How do I 'try' an intel CPU? I don't have the money to fork out and just buy a new CPU for the sake of GTA V when it's the only game I've ever had an issue with on this system after having run a LOT of stressful games

HaRdSTyLe_83

just NO. loadings would be showned by maps not loading fast enough not a stutter of fps loss and even if it does why would a lower GPU do it right and a better GPU lose fps?

my old pc was just a dual core Pentium G3258 and the Gpu a gtx750 and 1600mhz memory. it runs at stable 45+ with no frame loss or stutters

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

Smoov_Operator

you tried adjusting settings? well, try again. this time set them to lowest possible and work your way up one at a time. Obviously, your rig cannot handle your settings.

Smoov_Operator

what is the lowest settings you can play a stable FPS at? what resolution are you playing on? honestly, if you cannot play at those settings because the graphics are so bad the only option is to upgrade hardware.

I don't have your rig, but i would start with everything on normal, all sliders half way, advanced graphics off, and no msaa. Then just add little bits from there. Did you try that?

even lowest on pc imo is still better than a console. just adjust as much as you can and go from there.

Edited by Smoov_Operator

"my old pc was just a dual core Pentium G3258 and the Gpu a gtx750 and 1600mhz memory. it runs at stable 45+ with no frame loss or stutters"...

Low settings and 45fps are not "best results" in my book. Maybe for a console fella it's ok. Plus OP wants high settings and high fps, and calls his pc "good pc".

Edited by mahanddeem

HaRdSTyLe_83

"my old pc was just a dual core Pentium G3258 and the Gpu a gtx750 and 1600mhz memory. it runs at stable 45+ with no frame loss or stutters"...

Low settings and 45fps are not "best results" in my book. Maybe for a console fella it's ok. Plus OP wants high settings and high fps, and calls his pc "good pc".

who said low setting ffs ?? stop assuming sh*t. low settings can be run on INTEL GFX. even my laptop can run the game on low.

with that pc i was running mostly on high (grass normal) at 1080p. maybe for you 45fps may not suit you but for a 500 bucks budget pc WITH A 60 bucks cpu, it was more then fair. and if i told you my old pc build was just to state that low end pcs can run the game STABLE and not to say what YOU think its the best results.

and about the ram... lmao. you can have the 1600mhz, the 2400mhz or the 3000mhz for gaming you wont feel any difference