4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Google Fucshia

Crokey

A little bit of interesting news has popped up and it's been covered by a couple of the Android sites, and also business websites. Source with other links: http://uk.businessinsider.com/google-building-new-operating-system-fuchsia-not-based-on-android-linux-kernel-2016-8?r=US&IR=T

It appears that Google is working on a new OS which apparently is not like Android. The initial speculation is that that it would be something that is more global in use as Android (and Linux), are not that compatible with a lot of the traditional desktop applications.

Details are quite sketchy at the moment, but personally I could see this as Google trying to make steps into the desktop OS market. Microsoft are stating that computing is going more mobile, with the increase of tablets, phablets and smartphones, and that's why Windows has been veering towards that market. However, as a huge sector of the Windows OS market is businesses, and they prefer assets like desktops that are more fixed in place, and there is a strong rise in the PC gaming sector, which is primarily desktop based. I think Google are noticing this switch by Microsoft and Google want to back fill the demand and then become a player in that OS market. Which can only be a good thing, as Windows has had it far too good for far too long as the only real viable OS.

So what to you think, could this be a start of a new rival to Windows, that isn't aborted like IBM did with OS2 Warp?

• Like 7

It's important to keep in mind this is something someone stated and wasn't presented officially by Google, therefore saying it can eventually be presented doesn't mean it will.

The idea is still very vague but what we can know by the words of the announcement, it won't be anything like Android. Google already has Android on mobile devices and Chrome OS on computers, so this new OS would be almost certainly an alternate, or even a replacement, to either or both the existing OS. Chrome OS isn't the most famous system for computers out there, so we can think it's directed for computers - but mobile devices are something quite recent, even if we are already so used to them and surely take a big role on our lives - but why couldn't it be a new alternate and even concept for mobile devices? Windows is already experimenting with W10 on a new concept for mobile devices, so it wouldn't be very wise to assume the current companies on the market would continue improving on what they have rather than trying whole new ideas.

The time will enlighten this project for us, and I really hope it doesn't end up scratched and forgotten. Let's wait for the official Google announcement for it, and if so, more details of what it would be.

I don't think they will replace android.Maybe they are replacing chrome os or coming to a new platform probably um... consoles (chromestation :p).

We'll not know until it's made official I suppose. I'm wondering if they're thinking ahead of merging desktop/laptop/mobile in a similar fashion to Microsoft. Although if they've got brains they can also see how well that's going for Microsoft right now! :monocle:

Although if they've got brains they can also see how well that's going for Microsoft right now! :monocle:

I'd say Microsoft's idea is very promising, however it'll take some time until the changes and improvements actually show results (if everything goes well - currently Microsoft is facing that loophole people don't buy their mobile devices because their OS lacks the apps people use, and developers don't make their apps avaliable for Windows because there's not enough users). If developers give them a chance, the concept would be very promising imo. :)

Although if they've got brains they can also see how well that's going for Microsoft right now! :monocle:

I'd say Microsoft's idea is very promising, however it'll take some time until the changes and improvements actually show results (if everything goes well - currently Microsoft is facing that loophole people don't buy their mobile devices because their OS lacks the apps people use, and developers don't make their apps avaliable for Windows because there's not enough users). If developers give them a chance, the concept would be very promising imo. :)

My main and biggest gripe with Microsoft now is the need for a .NET account for everything. This is on the verge I've been literally pulling my hair out trying to work out how to make a 'local' account. It really shouldn't be THAT difficult. In the same respect Google now require a GMail account for basically everything too but it tends to be optional and can be avoided. I'm just strongly against any company monopolising everything in their favour I guess.