2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Does size matter? Preference of crew #

Cubanoking99

Does size matter? Preference of crew #  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer big crews (n>100) or do you prefer small crews (n<100)

• Bigger crews. N>100
    • Smaller crews. N<100
    • No preference. Crew size is irrelevant.

Shootinalloveryourface

Yes it does. If anyone tells you different they're just being nice

I'm not in a crew, I'm not unsociable but I'm not really a pack animal.

I was listening to some people having a freeroam war last night, there was a guy with a couple of crew members, who also had a female friend with him who was in a heated battle with his crew. Listening to him feebly try and keep the peace between everyone and stop them fighting was a good example of why I don't like crews. If I've got two friends who want each other's blood I'll just leave them to it.

Everything past 50 members or so tends to get a bit unwieldy to manage in a way that keeps duckheads outside. At that point sooner or later you will have at least one duckhead in a position where he can decide if somebody is or is not a duckhead or at least use his influence to get more duckheads in, and before you realise it your crew is full of duckheads, roosters and other obnoxious animals. Smaller crews are usually a lot better picked.

We Are Ninja

Solo crew. Being a part of a pack has never appealed to me. I don't like the rules, the requirements, the inevitable drama, the different personalities, etc..., or the idea of being beholden to some "leader".

Less is usually better imo. Smaller knit of people who you can create a community out of. Our crew, Red Rum Racing had a purge last week and we feel much better for it. If people want to come and play with us and try to get in the crew, they can. But we don't actively recruit, actually it's pretty much the opposite way.

enjoyingorc6742

i've been with the LS Lowriders crew since 2012........and i'm not searching for a new one

Solo crew. Being a part of a pack has never appealed to me. I don't like the rules, the requirements, the inevitable drama, the different personalities, etc..., or the idea of being beholden to some "leader".

I can definitely understand where you're coming from here. Although it is nice to have a collective group of likeminded players who can all mutually agree on a certain method of gameplay and even go so far as to organise events.

However, yes, some of the "rules" that certain crews have are just downright ridiculous in my opinion. I'm talking about the ones where you can only paint your car certain colours; have to wear a specific style and/or colour of clothing; must have a K/D or rank over a certain number; can't associate at all with members from X crew; etc.

I also don't like crews who take the hierarchy concept too seriously. This isn't the bloody military and no one is running some multi-million dollar corporation that involves actual money. Get over yourselves! :p

All in all, crews are good for shared interests and styles of game play, but yeah, once people start taking their statuses too seriously, try to dictate my every move, or have too much drama, I can't be arsed to stay around.

Edited by LN-MLB
  • Like 4

Aye, real life holds enough of these delights. In my world of escapist gaming if someone tries to force me to do something it's a "nope".

The crew I'm in only has about 5 or 6 members. That's fine with me though. We are all friends and we will back each other up. And despite our few members (it is also a very rare occasion all of us are on together) goodness help anyone that crosses us. We hold our own very well.

I'd much rather be in a small tight knit crew like ours.

• Like 1

My crew has 137 right now, and i'm a little embarrased because i'm not a pro MLG player for free aim

I think at least 90% of the crew is good for free aim

the Paleto Bay Mayors office is a smallish crew, at 124 members currently.

we started here on gtaforums with no random recruiting and made gtaforum activity a requirement for anyone looking to join.

we have a clear set (1 rule) of common courtesy suggestions as well as some other guidelines.

this way we have been able to really grow a like-minded group and keep the quality of our members high, and in my mind, we atract those that are active in the community at large.

as far as heirachry, I'm the mayor (front man) with the town council (crew officers) being where the crew decisions come from, including promotion of new officers.

'democracy'

no way in hell do we want to have random 200+ members, as someone earlier in this thread said, it looses the tightknit crew feeling... however for the right people we are always open.

#paletostrong

• Like 2

I have done all sizes but like 1000 and under. I am not one for a role playing crew or taking orders from some guy in a video game. I will not kill fellow crew members.

I am attracted to crews focused either locally, have neat emblem or other hobby activities am active in IRL like strip clubbing.

Edited by derek0514
  • Like 1

Trevor-Fuckin-Phillips

Smaller crews are best in my experience. You KNOW who everyone is and know they can be trusted. When you get a new recruit it's a big deal because it's someone unfamiliar, you gotta watch them closely.

I was in a TDM crew of under 30 members, most of them active, we rose to the top 20 leaderboards. The crew changed leadership, opened up membership just to get the numbers up (200 at its peak) and has since pretty much fallen apart trying to manage so many randoms, plus most of the core/original members left. Later I was in a crew of only 15 members, we rose the the top 50 leaderboards in just a few months. Small numbers can achieve great things.

Large crews I've been in (200-300 players) were rife with politics, drama, crew killing, egos, and bad attitudes.

One Woman Crew ! :D

But, I'm also in a mass crew which is nice since a lot of players might join in activities you host. Only problem here is, 99% of them are lowlevels and mostly just f*ck around, so no reliable gamers.

I am as well in a 300+/- crew which was cool on PS 3. We did a lot of stuff, unfortunately there are barely gamers on PS 4.

First crew I joined was a small one. Which soon began to get annoying. They all knew each other already and there was always a catfight about silly stuff. They also tried to tell me which guns to use, how to play and set up a drama if you did not join a match or race which were always the same.

I prefer smaller tight knitted crews, but it's always nice to have a big crew with people doing something all the time.

• Like 2

Crews should be <200. Also Rockstar crews with infinite space (IGN, MP3) should be completely removed

I was in a crew that was 13th in the world for non-contact, and 20 something for TDMs.(Unfortunately the crew leader deleted the crew)

My crew would've been 2-6 in NC races if they just removed them.

• Like 1

Cackling Jack

Size doesn't matter. Its the skill and communication that make a top crew. If everybody knows each other and follows a set of rules like no crew killing, helping out a crew member in a sh!t fight then you wont have any problems. The crew I'm rocking with has like 22 members and we all know each other and help each other out. Keep it simple stupid. Again imo.

• Like 3

The Mayor has spoken on my behalf and I agree with him

I want to add that a key point in holding a crew together is to have some place where you can all meet up or at least get out information. SC sucks at that, but we in PBMO thrives and are happy here on gtaf. Its a place we can chat share stuff and plan events and etc. We dont even need to be on the same platform or online as other members to enjoy eachothers company. I was a member for 6 months before I got aps4 where we had more members.

Im in the situation that I cant play that often tho. If I would have only gotten to know thos I played with, Iwould probably only know a handful. But being able to chat on gtaf makes me get to know everyone. Having a communication hub where everyone can check in, is awesome for keeping a crew together.

• Like 2

I'm in a crew of approximately 840 members.

I know 40 of them very well, probably another 100 or so by name.

The crew doesn't have much in the way of rules or requirements, simply "don't kill crew" and "don't hinder crew." Generally, I know I've got a pool of several hundred people available to send invites to, try and coerce to help out with crates/etc and fall back on if I need them and while I may not like all of them at least I know there's no total assholes to deal with.

• Like 2

Cubanoking99

I have to agree with a lot of the comments on here, a smaller crew seems to be the way to go. 70-175 seems to be the sweet range of crew members to have.

We've been able to get back most of core crew members who were accidentally kicked, but at 40 we are feeling real relaxed and laid back since removing all that stress of hunting down trouble makers with the social club's inefficient management menu. We've made an excel spreadsheet of all 40 crew and have everyone accounted for, not a single trouble maker left! So any new members will be logged into the spreadsheet and we'll do Rockstar's job at managing the social club.

More likely than not more core and loyal crew members will return and we'll grow again meeting new decent folk looking for a crew but I'll talk it over with the rest of the crew about setting a limit of crew members that are allowed in the crew. Looks like the crews on here who reached over 100 had similar issues to my owns regarding managing the social club's management of crew members, trolls abusing crew members and having to do mass kicking to clean out the crew; ultimately settling on a limit <200.

• Like 3

Damned_Hitman

Interesting Debate.

I think I remember OP from back in the day when the crew section on this forum, actually had crews willing to compete against eachother via the forum.

My crew has been fortunate in that it's been featured and followed by Rockstar, thanks in large to the efforts of the crews finest and most artistic members. The Damned Brotherhood, formerly 'The Damned MC' has been together since 2010, and we started off small, but we always kept a numbers cap, so that we don't lose our core values.

1. Free Aim Only

2. Never Modding

3. Competitive and About Having Fun (Not taking Competitive overly seriously)

Fame, brought about attention though, and since it almost daily I've received a lot of random notifications of players wishing to join, so we made a 'Recruitment Crew'.

In all honesty, it's about balance, and communication, if you want to run a bigger crew, it gives you a lot of problems in my view, but at the same time, a smaller crew isn't always active enough.

• Like 2

Cubanoking99

Interesting Debate.

I think I remember OP from back in the day when the crew section on this forum, actually had crews willing to compete against eachother via the forum.

My crew has been fortunate in that it's been featured and followed by Rockstar, thanks in large to the efforts of the crews finest and most artistic members. The Damned Brotherhood, formerly 'The Damned MC' has been together since 2010, and we started off small, but we always kept a numbers cap, so that we don't lose our core values.

1. Free Aim Only

2. Never Modding

3. Competitive and About Having Fun (Not taking Competitive overly seriously)

Fame, brought about attention though, and since it almost daily I've received a lot of random notifications of players wishing to join, so we made a 'Recruitment Crew'.

In all honesty, it's about balance, and communication, if you want to run a bigger crew, it gives you a lot of problems in my view, but at the same time, a smaller crew isn't always active enough.

I'm sure you did, earlier in the posts I mentioned how when I first began my crew I was eagerly recruiting members and actively looking for other crews to work with, do events, etc.

Congratulations! It was our goal to get there one day any tips?

You make good points though, though a large crew can be functional and even manageable, it would require a lot of people working hard to do so. So far the restructuring of the crew has been great so maybe when the crew hits 100 we'll consider becoming a large crew again. But for now we are enjoying the stress free relief that a small crew brings.

I think whichever side you feel, we can all agree RockStar created a terrible management system through social club, I love the concept (and praised it in an earlier thread) but hate the execution. This thread would not even exist if they had a better system: where each crew member has accountability, easier to find and kick crew members, IN-GAME crew management, etc.

• Like 1

grand theft spaghetti

before the social club spazzed out and shut down my original crew for no reason, we had like 12 players and were ranked in the low thousands. it really doesnt matter how many people are in your crew. all you need is a few players you can have fun with. it was a ps3 crew so it doesn't matter if rockstar shut down the crew. after 2 years of waiting for those heists they said were "coming soon" most of the crew had already stopped playing.

I recently joined a crew here on the forums because they would hold car meets. everything was cool at first but it turned into a controlling batsh*t crazy group after the third meet. they actually demanded you join them for life. if you went online and the crew leader couldn't keep track of everything you were doing you got kicked from the crew. I'm not going to part of some control freak's harem of grade school kids.

Edited by grand theft spaghetti
  • Like 3

DigitalNikki

I'm in a crew of approximately 840 members.

I know 40 of them very well, probably another 100 or so by name.

The crew doesn't have much in the way of rules or requirements, simply "don't kill crew" and "don't hinder crew." Generally, I know I've got a pool of several hundred people available to send invites to, try and coerce to help out with crates/etc and fall back on if I need them and while I may not like all of them at least I know there's no total assholes to deal with.

I think PS4 (or some console) is basically a requirement for that.

I have only ever seen one other member online.