4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

IV compared to VCS:one is too overrated and the other is too underrate

Lexyz.

*DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED BOTH GAMES AND ARE PLANNING TO*

I've recently finished the story of IV(am I too late for the party yet?),and I can say I had fun playing it.However,at some point it became a bit repetitive and the game was piece of cake(this is the least challenging GTA game I've ever played).I know R* tried to make this game as realistic as possible,but they could've at least had some diversity in their missions.Most missions had you go from point A to point B,kill some people,and get back to point A.
Some characters and the story also seemed a bit of a rip-off of the ones in VCS(which makes me wonder why IV is so overrated and VCS is so underrated).Let's start with the protagonists,which are very similar.Both Vic and Niko were in the military and both of them had to deal with a trouble-maker relative(although Roman was probably more helpful and less annoying than the other one).They also were betrayed by someone they trusted and both of their pre-girlfriends were killed near the end of the game(in IV,that only happens if you choose Revenge over Deal).Both of them are most probably the least ruthless protagonists in the series(that's why I like both) and both of them proved to be very skilled in cutscenes:Vic picked Lance up with only one hand and Niko twisted Brucie's arm.
The major thing that made a difference between the 2 games was probably each protagonist's goal.While Vic's goal was to earn money so he can pay his brother's bills,Niko wanted to earn money for him and his cousin,so they can live a better life.
Okay,now back to the diversity:as I said above,I wasn't a lot impressed by IV's mission diversity.One mission had a race(one that was piece of cake),one had a bank robbery and the other involved flying a helicopter.All the others had me kill people either to get some drugs,for revenge or because I was told to kill them.The game also had almost 90 story missions(+90 if we count the missions given by strangers),and personally they felt like 60 missions to me,simply because they were too easy.However,VCS only had 59 missions and I really felt challenged at some points(Boomshine Blowout,Hose the Hoes,Unfriendly Competition,High Wire,Turn On,Tune In...).That's 5 missions for you.The diversity was also better here:one had me removing some highly explosive boomshine using a forklift,the other had me destroying a shop so the owner can pay for protection,taking off a business,extinguishing the fire of a brothel,killing zombies for a movie scene,retrieving a cocaine car by using a helicopter,destroying the bugs set at the VCPD etc.
However,IV wins at being realistic,having better graphics,being able to spend time with your friends(which is an okay feature),and being able to use the Internet.I didn't get used to the darkness of the city until later on the game.Heck,I even thought the city was darker here than in LCS(the atmosphere was totally differet though).VCS wins at having better music,better atmosphere,better timecyc,better and more memorable characters(Louise over Kate,for example,although I really like Jacob,Dwayne and why not,Packie),better story,a very colourful city and the empire building.Although VCS is considered the glitchiest GTA ever(well deserved),there was no single MAJOR glitch that didn't allow me to finish the game,unlike in IV,where I couldn't climb in Jacob's helicopter because,apparently,my CPU is too fast for this game,so I had to use Fraps.One of the weirdest and most annoying glitches of the whole franchise,and why not,the whole gaming industry.I tried that mission like 8 times,until I searched on google to find a fix for this.It was very frustrating.

I personally love both games,but I want to ask your opinion about them.I am wondering why is IV's story so well-appreciated when the story of VCS is better,or at least as good as IV's?And why is VCS so popular at being glitchy while IV's major glitch on PC is rarely mentioned?I think R* could've done a better job with both games

Edited by Lexyz.
  • Like 3

Son of Zeus

Good points about mission diversity. IV is the blandest GTA ever in terms of missions & gameplay, no doubt about that. Go here, kill this guy, now go back...exciting stuff. The worst ones were those involving bikes because of the sh*tty bike physics. But hey, it's apparently got a 'deep' story, so best game ever! Ha.

Agree about VCS too. It is underrated because it didn't sell as much as others, so obviously less fans...but still a much better game than IV overall. Has some cool new activities and the story isn't as pretentious as IV's.

Edited by Son of Zeus
  • Like 4

IV is hated on everywhere else but here and YouTube comment sections. Most of those comments are made by GTAForumers anyway lmao. I love VCS though, prefer it over VC.

Good points about mission diversity. IV is the blandest GTA ever in terms of missions & gameplay, no doubt about that. Go here, kill this guy, now go back...exciting stuff. The worst ones were those involving bikes because of the sh*tty bike physics. But hey, it's apparently got a 'deep' story, so best game ever! Ha.

Agree about VCS too. It is underrated because it didn't sell as much as others, so obviously less fans...but still a much better game than IV overall. Has some cool new activities and the story isn't as pretentious as IV's.

You might as well tattoo I can't think objectively on your forehead if you think VCS is a better game than IV. It's a PSP game. Streamlined not only in story but in gameplay to allow it to run.

Honestly, the real underrated gem is CTW. The drug dealing system is the best side mission ever implemented into a GTA game.

• Like 5

MiamiViceCity1986

I liked VCS for the empire building, but that was about it to be honest. Nothing else stands out for me even compared to Vice City let alone GTA IV.

• Like 5

I liked the way the game looked, it had such a great color palette, and the story is overlooked even though it's not exactly Oscar worthy. Great melee system too.

• Like 2

MiamiViceCity1986

I liked the way the game looked, it had such a great color palette, and the story is overlooked even though it's not exactly Oscar worthy. Great melee system too.

Yeah. I'd consider the melee system to be the best in the series actually. The grapples are cool and Vic feels like a juggernaut when he throws punches.

• Like 3

I liked VCS for the empire building, but that was about it to be honest. Nothing else stands out for me even compared to Vice City let alone GTA IV.

Could you clarify?

Here we go again...

Everything is being subjective in this post and you guys can't get down over it.

IV is a masterpiece, contains an amazing storyline and emotional, deep overall, and a serious one, you cannot say objectively that IV storyline was a piece of cake because isn't true, to me it is the best storyline ever made in a GTA because of the deepness and emotional parts, such as making decisions to choise Niko status, which will change in the meanwhile of the game, amazing tho'.

VCS was awesome too, IMO it is a merger between 3D universe & HD, I've never had that fun with other GTAs when I re-downloaded it on the PPSSPP, I got tired of San Andreas after re-playing it for over 10 years.

80s atmosphere just charmed me, the posture of the game, the colors, the vehicles, the radio stations, Lance Vance, etc. his storyline was amazing tho', but I highly doubt that VCS is better than IV and viceversa, they're both amazing games but they take place in both different postures and you can't just compare them.

Just remember that VCS is a 3d game, IV is a HD, they're both awesome games. Have fun.

• Like 1

Cheatz/Trickz

IV's problem was that it was a bit too rich for people, it required the use of brain cells to enjoy, so natually, at release a lot of players wrote it off. Since then these players have matured and the opinion has changed.

Edited by Cheatz_N_Trickz

Here we go again...

Everything is being subjective in this post and you guys can't get down over it.

IV is a masterpiece, contains an amazing storyline and emotional, deep overall, and a serious one, you cannot say objectively that IV storyline was a piece of cake because isn't true, to me it is the best storyline ever made in a GTA because of the deepness and emotional parts, such as making decisions to choise Niko status, which will change in the meanwhile of the game, amazing tho'.

VCS was awesome too, IMO it is a merger between 3D universe & HD, I've never had that fun with other GTAs when I re-downloaded it on the PPSSPP, I got tired of San Andreas after re-playing it for over 10 years.

80s atmosphere just charmed me, the posture of the game, the colors, the vehicles, the radio stations, Lance Vance, etc. his storyline was amazing tho', but I highly doubt that VCS is better than IV and viceversa, they're both amazing games but they take place in both different postures and you can't just compare them.

Just remember that VCS is a 3d game, IV is a HD, they're both awesome games. Have fun.

"Piece of cake" means EASY.It has nothing to do with the story.You think the story wasn't easy?

The Dedito Gae

IV's problem was that it was a bit too rich for people, it required the use of brain cells to enjoy, so natually, at release a lot of players wrote it off. Since then these players have matured and the opinion has changed.

And this is why everyone hates IV fans, "If you don't like IV you are not smart enough and you should feel bad."

VCS is a fine GTA, problem is Victor is a reverse Johnny Klebitz, they created a good character (even though he's messy and a hypocrite at times) on a complete random that dies at VC's beginning. VCS doesn't count for sh*t when VC begins, Victor's empire is nowhere to be seen and he's dead.

A prequel wasn't the best platform for the empire feature, the best addition to the game.

I personally love both games,but I want to ask your opinion about them.I am wondering why is IV's story so well-appreciated when the story of VCS is better,or at least as good as IV's?

VCS' story is not better than IV. VCS feels like an underrated game because being an exclusive game not many people played it and is not that known, for many it felt limited after SA too.

And why is VCS so popular at being glitchy while IV's major glitch on PC is rarely mentioned?I think R* could've done a better job with both games

This is the first time i heard someone say VCS is a glitchy game, however, IV's PC port is known for being awful.

Edited by Midnight Hitman

I never had a glitch problem with VCS (at least not anymore so than with every other GTA) so I never really understood that complaint, but I guess it wasn't the same for others.

Anyway, both IV and VCS were excellent and are my two favorite games in the series, with V in third place. VCS is definitely underrated unfortunately and IV used to be as well, there was a point where the game seemed to be universally hated on this forum and around the net. Kinda like how V is now...

My only real issue with VCS was its short length, and with IV, some of the repetitive missions, along with the games fanbase.

• Like 1

I personally love both games,but I want to ask your opinion about them.I am wondering why is IV's story so well-appreciated when the story of VCS is better,or at least as good as IV's?

VCS' story is not better than IV. VCS feels like an underrated game because being an exclusive game not many people played it and is not that known, for many it felt limited after SA too.

VCS's story had less filler missions and better characters so I guess it was better...

Edited by Lexyz.

I never had a glitch problem with VCS (at least not anymore so than with every other GTA) so I never really understood that complaint, but I guess it wasn't the same for others.

Anyway, both IV and VCS were excellent and are my two favorite games in the series, with V in third place. VCS is definitely underrated unfortunately and IV used to be as well, there was a point where the game seemed to be universally hated on this forum and around the net. Kinda like how V is now...

My only real issue with VCS was its short length, and with IV, some of the repetitive missions, along with the games fanbase.

There are some minor glitches such as the following,however there's also another glitch that makes your vehicle disappear from garage

http://s124.photobucket.com/user/spock9886/media/screen3.jpg.html

The Dedito Gae

VCS's story had less filler missions and better characters so I guess it was better...

IV had better characters based solely on the fact that none was reused from previous games, it created his own world, one that his sequels didn't bothered wanted to follow.

Niko is a better protagonist that Victor too.

• Like 1

IV had better characters based solely on the fact that none was reused from previous games, it created his own world, one that his sequels didn't bothered wanted to follow.

Niko is a better protagonist that Victor too.

That doesn't make them better though.I'd take Diaz,Louise and Umberto over Francis,Kate and Packie any day.I'm not saying IV had bad characters,in fact most of them were likable,just not as much or as memorable as the ones VCS brought us.

Niko may be a bit more charismatic but other than that they are almost the same

Edited by Lexyz.

The Dedito Gae

Victor is more messy, he doesn't like drugs and is apparently a law abiding citizen but he created a criminal empire around drugs and robbery.

• Like 2

There are some minor glitches such as the following,however there's also another glitch that makes your vehicle disappear from garage

http://s124.photobucket.com/user/spock9886/media/screen3.jpg.html

Hmm, never seen that first glitch in my game, and my vehicles disappearing happened to me in every GTA game (mostly IV). Guess the game is glitchy for many people then.

Moving Idiot

IV gets plenty hate, that's for sure. You're probably just not looking in the right places. I personally love it, but I can see why other people don't.

I also disagree with you on VCS' story being just as good as IV's. It was was alright, but nothing special really. Not that IV's story is perfect though, it was just... Quite a bit better. The Empire Building and the soundtrack are really VCS' best aspects if you ask me. The rest of it just doesn't stand out that much. It's a good Grand Theft Auto overall, but that's it.

Jeez, what a bigoted way of looking at it.

Edited by Veroder
  • Like 1

I love GTA IV and it'll always be my favorite if Rockstar continues down the path they started digging with V, but I do have to agree with a few points. IV was not as strong gameplay-wise as pretty much every other GTA title. Most missions are the formulaic "Go to B, kill target, return to A", but that's kind of fitting considering Niko is, at heart, just a hired gun (something I've only noticed in my past playthrough - Niko becomes greedier as the story goes on).

But unlike the diversity presented in the 3D era and even to an extent in V, IV more than makes up for the repetitiveness in its storytelling. I don't think it's overrated - outside of this forum pretty much everyone still sh*ts on it. I do agree that VCS is underrated, but for different reasons. Vic was a much bigger hypocrite than Niko and that was a big part of what dragged the story down. While the missions themselves were diverse in VCS, the way you approached them was not. You had to follow the directions. IV was repetitive in theory but allowed a lot of freedom in the way you did the missions.

The atmosphere is obviously subjective, some people love the flashy lights and colorful sunsets of VC/VCS and some prefer the grit of IV. I like them both for different reasons, but the gritty persona of Liberty City was done so immaculately in IV that it's my favorite GTA city too. VCS music wins for me but that's only because 80s music is my sh*t.

Like all GTA games they're great in their own rights, but IV is the pinnacle of the GTA series storytelling and for that I don't think any other entry can beat it.

IV gets plenty hate, that's for sure. You're probably just not looking in the right places. I personally love it, but I can see why other people don't.

I also disagree with you on VCS' story being just as good as IV's. It was was alright, but nothing special really. Not that IV's story is perfect though, it was just... Quite a bit better. The Empire Building and the soundtrack are really VCS' best aspects if you ask me. The rest of it just doesn't stand out that much. It's a good Grand Theft Auto overall, but that's it.

Well,if that's how you see the things...IV had too many filler missions IMO,while I thought VCS story ended where it had to.Why exactly do you think VCS' story wasn't as good as IV's?

Eugene H. Krabs

VCS is my second favorite GTA and I actually prefer it over the original VC, but the story is miles away from being superior to IV's storyline.

Moving Idiot

Well,if that's how you see the things...IV had too many filler missions IMO,while I thought VCS story ended where it had to.Why exactly do you think VCS' story wasn't as good as IV's?

I thought VCS' story was just OK. It's missions were alright, but like I said, nothing really special. IV did indeed have quite a bit of filler gameplay, but the story always pushes me trough those. I always want to see what happens next. All in all both of them aren't perfect, but IV's story was just a bit more memorable and special to me.

VCS is my second favorite GTA and I actually prefer it over the original VC, but the story is miles away from being superior to IV's storyline.

I actually used to prefer it as well, but I changed my mind after playing VC again this year.

Payne Killer

Victor is more messy, he doesn't like drugs and is apparently a law abiding citizen but he created a criminal empire around drugs and robbery.

He needed the money, you'd do the same thing if you were in his shoes.
  • Like 3

(Only read the title, I skipped the rest due to the warning.)

Yea, VCS does seem to be overrated as hell. I mean I haven't played it yet, but no game can stand up to as much hype as VCS is getting all the time.

In the meantime... IV underrated? I mean I guess it kinda is, but it's still the best rated game on metacritic so people appreciate it at least.

Edited by RogerWho

Misunderstood

VCS overrated? Lol, game doesn't even get talked about besides like the 6 people (including me) on this forum who put it in top 3.

Edited by Misunderstood

MiamiViceCity1986

Could you clarify?

No problem. Keep in mind I never actually finished VCS so I can't comment on the story too thoroughly. The empire building is the thing that stood out the most for me. It was a really cool feature, but besides that (and the melee system too I guess) there was nothing else that made me think "oh this game's definitely better than GTA IV".

Truthfully and I made be the only one here, but I really didn't like VCS's colour palette at all. It made everything look too bright and the over-saturation of colour made it look way more cartoonish than Vice City.

VCS is far from being a horrible game though. As I said I never finished it which is why I'm being reserved on the story/characters, but from what I did play it was a cool hand held GTA just didn't captivate me enough like GTA IV has.

Hope that clears things up. :)

Good points about mission diversity. IV is the blandest GTA ever in terms of missions & gameplay, no doubt about that. Go here, kill this guy, now go back...exciting stuff. The worst ones were those involving bikes because of the sh*tty bike physics.

Bad bike physics? not really, its about realism, Niko can't handle a bike like a pro, he's 'amateur', so he falls off easily and he's better using cars, in TLaD you can handle bikes better because obviously JK has more experience with them and probably Luis too.

Payne Killer

Yeah. I'd consider the melee system to be the best in the series actually. The grapples are cool and Vic feels like a juggernaut when he throws punches.Vic is the only GTA protag who's hand to hand combat actually felt like he went through extensive training. I mean Niko waa more on takedowns but vic felt like he was using force and muscle to take people down. I cant even imagine an HD gta with that type of melee, you could kill someone with that stuff.
  • Like 4

(Only read the title, I skipped the rest due to the warning.)

Yea, VCS does seem to be overrated as hell. I mean I haven't played it yet, but no game can stand up to as much hype as VCS is getting all the time.

In the meantime... IV underrated? I mean I guess it kinda is, but it's still the best rated game on metacritic so people appreciate it at least.

VCS overrated? Lol, game doesn't even get talked about besides like the 6 people (including me) on this forum who put it in top 3.

Dudes,I meant that IV is overrated,and VCS is underrated,lol