1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTA Tiki Islands [REL/FINAL]

BlackStallionDX

BlackStallionDX
2 hours ago, deadasfuqboi said:

So, about Tiki Islands 2. Are you planning on releasing a beta?

So Tiki Islands 2 is under development Maybe full reales gonna be on autumn (look at Vice City'89, it's is an Tiki Islands 2)

• Like 1

Time for a rant. As someone who played this mod since its original in 2016 i have to say, it's come a long way. missions feel more like GTA missions and MANY things have been improved. but i do have some problems with this mod both big and small. Here are my two cents. Just know i'm not "hating' on you or anything as harsh as this may seem. Also this does spoil some missions in the mod so beware of that

The Good:

Spoiler

Having a VHS filter over the cutscenes was a really nice touch, fits the setting and vibe of this mod almost too well and it allows you to have cutscenes transition from one area to another without it looking odd. Adding music to the missions was also a good touch. Mods like these often feel a bit quiet but thats usually due to no voices (this does have voice acting but for a native english speaker who knows zero russian, it pratically is silent to me) so having music gives it good ambiance.

The story makes much more sense than compared to how it was in 2016. the radio is also something that surprised me, so many good tracks, i expected the music to just be ripped from Vice city so this was a good surprise. A giant improvement was the English translation, it is A LOT better but it still needs massive improvements and i'll get to that soon enough.

The Bad:

Spoiler

This point has been brought up back in the day but to jog memories i'll bring it up again. the Neon lights are over the top, like really really over the top. like I understand you want it to have an 80's vibe but i think that THIS...

YVwqLWS.png

CPRES6k.png

Ck29kb3.png

is just simply unrealistic. these are literally light houses. this is a caricature of the '80s. people walking around in Tiki islands would literally go blind when walking at night. they should really be toned down. some of these places really don't need that many neon lights like the Pay N Spray for example. I suggest you look at actual photos for reference (and not just like Ocean Drive in Miami) hell even look at Vice City. not EVERY building has neon lights near every window.
Another problem I have is the timecyc especially in the daytime, it's just too blue, i don't know this just looks unnatural to me no sky should like this in my opinion

aPEyUIQ.png

on some screenshots you showed months ago like these down here, for example, they toned down the blue of it and feels a lot more realistic. but for some reason, those changes are not in this version,

and it's the same timecyc from the 2016 version. 

SjYMFmu.jpg

RyA9lGI.jpg

another problem i have but i'll admit this is a little nitpicky is how the camera is in most cutscenes. it's usually in weird angles or it's all over the place or just slowly moving around. I think I'd much prefer if the cutscene camera was more static sometimes. like it shows someone talking then it instantly switches to someone else instead of the camera slowly moving towards them. it has improved since the last version but it still seems a bit odd to me. i think looking at some of the GTA missions and seeing how they use the camera might help with this.

The Ugly:

Spoiler

There is a LOT to get through with this and it will take a minute. going forward just know i did enjoy this mod lol. The bugs are BAD, there seems to be a lack of polish the further you get in the story it's like the mod slowly crumbles on itself the further you get.

like it gets to the point where missions just break and the subtitles disappear. Around Mission 4 there's this mission where you're talking to your girl after she caught you earlier and then she gets killed but there's no subtitles whatsoever. there's dialogue but a lot of people playing the mod don't know what it means. seeing broken english bothers me so i went into the text files for the mod and changed things and i saw that there's subtitles for that mission but they haven't been implemented correctly which is really unfortunate. Another problem is some of the missions still don't make sense. Here's an example with just one mission

tYGXlkO.png

Grant is suspicious of the Colombians you're about to meet. but you tell him its okay

XzMJAas.png

They introduce themselves while making jokes about you

gtbVZjo.png

Now you have to shoot enemies. See? there was no buildup to the point where you have to shoot the enemies it happens out of nowhere. at the very least they should tell you that you need to shoot the        enemies. and that's just one example there are many missions like that where you have to do something for someone but it makes no sense why. And to top it off there's some really really bad dialogue in this like all you have to do is play at least 3 missions and you'll see. lots of typos and small mistakes too.

Now i try not to hold that against Blackstallion since English isn't his native language but i think he could've got more people who understand english better to proof-read his dialogue to make it not only sound more believable and realistic but also where it makes sense.

Part of the reason why some missions make no sense is because we have to go to a mission but there's no reason, a phone call or a pager message could help and there are a few pager messages however, most of them are broken and you only hear the pager sound but you see no text so you have no idea.

After Phill's girl dies, his friends go to him and he is vomiting,looks fatter, has more stubble, and is obviously in a bad spot. if i remember correctly there is supposed to be a timeskip but since all the text in the mission is gone it doesn't make much sense. and then right after that mission you have to go straight to a drug deal for seemingly no reason. I assume they told Phil that they want to help him get back on his feet so they agree to do a drug deal but without subtitles its just point A and then right to point B. flaws like this really take me out of the experience, if there were less errors and more congruence with the plot this could be a good story since i really like the crooked cop angle this takes.

i believe Ash pointed this out and i agree, some textures look worse than GTA 3 which is kinda jarring for a mod that's aiming to look as realistic as possible. The main thing i noticed is the building LOD's. they are terrible.

gh3v0MM.png
JrYOSz6.png

Almost every LOD like this looks worse than SA's. it's small but very noticeable when going around the map. Also a cool thing i noticed is that every outfit has names instead of just "OUTFIT 1" which is a        good touch the problem is a few of them are missing shoes so you end up looking like a ghost.

HfulbQt.png

(These are the polo shirts in the Downtown District's Binco)

Conclusion:

Spoiler

Tiki islands has seriously come a long way and it's slowly feeling like a living breathing city, driving around in it has never been more interesting but with that being said the lack of polish, bugs, and BAD     translation ruin the experience in my personal opinion. I keep hearing about a Tiki Islands 2 but to be honest there shouldn't be a sequel to it when the original has so many flaws that need to be fixed. Better to fix this than to move on to a sequel which might have the same bugs if they aren't adressed in the original. All in all it's not THAT bad of a mod it just needs some serious edits. i'd give it a 7/10.

Edited by Sprunkadelic
  • Like 2
BlackStallionDX
1 hour ago, Sprunkadelic said:

Time for a rant. As someone who played this mod since its original in 2016 i have to say, it's come a long way. missions feel more like GTA missions and MANY things have been improved. but i do have some problems with this mod both big and small. Here are my two cents. Just know i'm not "hating' on you or anything as harsh as this may seem. Also this does spoil some missions in the mod so beware of that

The Good:

Reveal hidden contents

Having a VHS filter over the cutscenes was a really nice touch, fits the setting and vibe of this mod almost too well and it allows you to have cutscenes transition from one area to another without it looking odd. Adding music to the missions was also a good touch. Mods like these often feel a bit quiet but thats usually due to no voices (this does have voice acting but for a native english speaker who knows zero russian, it pratically is silent to me) so having music gives it good ambiance.

The story makes much more sense than compared to how it was in 2016. the radio is also something that surprised me, so many good tracks, i expected the music to just be ripped from Vice city so this was a good surprise. A giant improvement was the English translation, it is A LOT better but it still needs massive improvements and i'll get to that soon enough.

The Bad:

Reveal hidden contents

This point has been brought up back in the day but to jog memories i'll bring it up again. the Neon lights are over the top, like really really over the top. like I understand you want it to have an 80's vibe but i think that THIS...

YVwqLWS.png

CPRES6k.png

Ck29kb3.png

is just simply unrealistic. these are literally light houses. this is a caricature of the '80s. people walking around in Tiki islands would literally go blind when walking at night. they should really be toned down. some of these places really don't need that many neon lights like the Pay N Spray for example. I suggest you look at actual photos for reference (and not just like Ocean Drive in Miami) hell even look at Vice City. not EVERY building has neon lights near every window.
Another problem I have is the timecyc especially in the daytime, it's just too blue, i don't know this just looks unnatural to me no sky should like this in my opinion

aPEyUIQ.png

on some screenshots you showed months ago like these down here, for example, they toned down the blue of it and feels a lot more realistic. but for some reason, those changes are not in this version,

and it's the same timecyc from the 2016 version. 

SjYMFmu.jpg

RyA9lGI.jpg

another problem i have but i'll admit this is a little nitpicky is how the camera is in most cutscenes. it's usually in weird angles or it's all over the place or just slowly moving around. I think I'd much prefer if the cutscene camera was more static sometimes. like it shows someone talking then it instantly switches to someone else instead of the camera slowly moving towards them. it has improved since the last version but it still seems a bit odd to me. i think looking at some of the GTA missions and seeing how they use the camera might help with this.

The Ugly:

Reveal hidden contents

There is a LOT to get through with this and it will take a minute. going forward just know i did enjoy this mod lol. The bugs are BAD, there seems to be a lack of polish the further you get in the story it's like the mod slowly crumbles on itself the further you get.

like it gets to the point where missions just break and the subtitles disappear. Around Mission 4 there's this mission where you're talking to your girl after she caught you earlier and then she gets killed but there's no subtitles whatsoever. there's dialogue but a lot of people playing the mod don't know what it means. seeing broken english bothers me so i went into the text files for the mod and changed things and i saw that there's subtitles for that mission but they haven't been implemented correctly which is really unfortunate. Another problem is some of the missions still don't make sense. Here's an example with just one mission

tYGXlkO.png

Grant is suspicious of the Colombians you're about to meet. but you tell him its okay

XzMJAas.png

They introduce themselves while making jokes about you

gtbVZjo.png

Now you have to shoot enemies. See? there was no buildup to the point where you have to shoot the enemies it happens out of nowhere. at the very least they should tell you that you need to shoot the        enemies. and that's just one example there are many missions like that where you have to do something for someone but it makes no sense why. And to top it off there's some really really bad dialogue in this like all you have to do is play at least 3 missions and you'll see. lots of typos and small mistakes too.

Now i try not to hold that against Blackstallion since English isn't his native language but i think he could've got more people who understand english better to proof-read his dialogue to make it not only sound more believable and realistic but also where it makes sense.

Part of the reason why some missions make no sense is because we have to go to a mission but there's no reason, a phone call or a pager message could help and there are a few pager messages however, most of them are broken and you only hear the pager sound but you see no text so you have no idea.

After Phill's girl dies, his friends go to him and he is vomiting,looks fatter, has more stubble, and is obviously in a bad spot. if i remember correctly there is supposed to be a timeskip but since all the text in the mission is gone it doesn't make much sense. and then right after that mission you have to go straight to a drug deal for seemingly no reason. I assume they told Phil that they want to help him get back on his feet so they agree to do a drug deal but without subtitles its just point A and then right to point B. flaws like this really take me out of the experience, if there were less errors and more congruence with the plot this could be a good story since i really like the crooked cop angle this takes.

i believe Ash pointed this out and i agree, some textures look worse than GTA 3 which is kinda jarring for a mod that's aiming to look as realistic as possible. The main thing i noticed is the building LOD's. they are terrible.

gh3v0MM.png
JrYOSz6.png

Almost every LOD like this looks worse than SA's. it's small but very noticeable when going around the map. Also a cool thing i noticed is that every outfit has names instead of just "OUTFIT 1" which is a        good touch the problem is a few of them are missing shoes so you end up looking like a ghost.

HfulbQt.png

(These are the polo shirts in the Downtown District's Binco)

Conclusion:

Reveal hidden contents

Tiki islands has seriously come a long way and it's slowly feeling like a living breathing city, driving around in it has never been more interesting but with that being said the lack of polish, bugs, and BAD     translation ruin the experience in my personal opinion. I keep hearing about a Tiki Islands 2 but to be honest there shouldn't be a sequel to it when the original has so many flaws that need to be fixed. Better to fix this than to move on to a sequel which might have the same bugs if they aren't adressed in the original. All in all it's not THAT bad of a mod it just needs some serious edits. i'd give it a 7/10.

- What's bout distance in game settings? It's do affect on LODs.

- bout translations, yeah, it's been rought there too. When, i've made fist build of this version, with russian language, and after test english tranlation (there was made by dude, who made radio for mod), i have bugs (invisible subs), so, i've fixed some, but, this transltion must been an base for more propper translation (some guys from GTAForums write me bout help with that, buuuuut....they don't did it). Story was bout finding drugs, which we lost on deal. So, people, who give us missions, gonna help us in finding drugs, but if we done jobs for they. But, one moment of story is lost - FBI Agent, he was voiced, and he was hidden antoganist.

- Neon lights and weather - it's was satirical look at retrowave style.

But' i know bout problems - so, this was 4-th build, making for closed beta. But, when i improve newest editions ( i can't say bou luv for this build, yeah, two years it was not released for masses). Issues why it was be? Well, in fall of 2018, i wrote newest story (but it have some characters from this build, also, in new story, we killin Phill's wife), and...this realese can be going into trashcan or realesed as it was done.

So, if you ask me about my rating for this - 5\10. Really many things which done here, looks worse than stuff i've do now. You can taste Russian Theft Auto Beta 3 (2018)  and beta 4 (2019-2020), and feel really progress. It's not bout only models and textures, in mainly it's touch a desing.

So, it's can be showin you, which you can be see in Tiki Islands 2.

So sequel gonna be in some case, not like an sequel, maybe as...hmmm...maybe an soft reboot or something.

Edited by BlackStallionDX

I have a problem. After completing mission "Gateway to hell" there is new mission marker for next mission. But when I enter it nothing happens. I can't start next mission. Does game ends there or is it a glitch?

BlackStallionDX
19 hours ago, mad.mad said:

I have a problem. After completing mission "Gateway to hell" there is new mission marker for next mission. But when I enter it nothing happens. I can't start next mission. Does game ends there or is it a glitch?

Game ending.

if it's game ending, you probably add end credits if you want to game ending there after the "Gateway to hell" mission. And new mission marker is where the game ends.

• Like 1
BlackStallionDX
11 hours ago, AkaPreston said:

if it's game ending, you probably add end credits if you want to game ending there after the "Gateway to hell" mission. And new mission marker is where the game ends.

Originally, when this build was made, i've planned did longest story, than what i done.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...