1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Was GTA Online A rushed Job?

Dr WGA Labriskagni

Dr WGA Labriskagni

Like the title states. Do you think the concept of GTA Online was a rushed job? That maybe saving the release for current gen since it was the same realise window as the consoles themselves would have made the whole fiasco of 03 OCT '13 non existent?

Over all. What would have GTA V and Online looked like if they released it on Current Gen in 2014?

Probably the same. I don't think GTA Online was a rushed job at all, it was probably one of Rockstar's biggest project. The fact that up to 30 people can do whatever they want in such a big map in a (mostly) smooth way is damn impressive.

Edited by Matrelith

My crystal ball says no...you'll have to make due with that until my magic 8 ball is out of the shop.

0_o

Edited by TreFacTor

The concept wasn't rushed but the delivery surely was.

The launch day of this game and the following months were pretty unstable, I could hardly believe that was meant to be an AAA game...

A rushed job?

Nearly three years after initial release we get FAFF and Cunning Stunts and bigger shark card sales than ever before. The whole thing has been incredibly well planned out and projected.

Not a rushed job.

• Like 2

lol 30 players. Took a good 3 or 4 months before that was possible on ps4 and xbone.

• Like 3

A rushed job?

Nearly three years after initial release we get FAFF and Cunning Stunts and bigger shark card sales than ever before. The whole thing has been incredibly well planned out and projected.

Not a rushed job.

I must disagree, partially. Certain parts definitely have been rushed, no doubt. And so many of the DLCs have been one-offs, I have to think they rushed the concept/planning part of them...

How To Get Away with M

GTA Online was in development since 2011, it was formed from IVs networking system by applying and extending it to support the new features GTA V supported.

Back then it was also supposed to all be inside Free Mode, the Jobs that we know today did not exist in their form.

As The Benz described in an Interview, the game was designed with no further loading screens, no matchmaking etc., the Blips that are used to join the Jobs in the current GTA Online were essentially starting points for the missions/races/jobs/deathmatches.

However Rockstar soon realized that their system did not work as intended, it wouldn't run and the Jobs would miss unique features, also getting it to run on Last Generation consoles was near impossible.

So they decided that they needed a Job system, that system was programmed by mainly a single person, one of the Tools programmers at Rockstar North and is mostly the system that we know today.

GTA Online in general went through quite a lot of changes though, for example the players would drop their entire cash money in early builds of the game, and then the money could be captured and recaptured by other players, similar to how some Free mode Events work out currently.

Many mechanics were scrapped/changed or reintroduced and then there were Heists which were redone multiple times as well in order to get them right.

Additionally it might be important to mention that GTA Online featured a whole roadmap leading up to the current Stunt Update which was written by lead executive The Benz, as described in his sue against Rockstar.

That is why early programming of future files and updates is found in Vanilla GTA Online, that however does not mean that any content produced for GTA Online is pre-produced, R* developes the content simultaniously with the game and most of not all GTA Online content that was finished, was also available at Launch.

In conclusion, one can say that GTA Online was quite the opposite of being rushed, it was redone, redesigned and reimagined multiple times, even after its initial release in October 2013 R* messed around with many mechanics in the game such as Free Mode Events which were redesigned about 3 times after release.

Though it might be important to mention that the technical side of GTA Online remained mostly the same ,albeit some smaller changes to Matchmaking R* seems to think that the current system is fine for GTA Online(which in a way it is, though it has some issues).

Edited by How To Get Away with M

CarimboHanky

online doesnt feel rushed, i think we would have gone through the same struggle and issues regardless of the year of release.

this is R* first attempt at a true dynamic multiplayer and while they have done some questionable changes, i think things can only get better in the future.

cant wait for gtao 2.0

Cant-B-Faded

They're definitely learning as they go. Just because of the fact they keep changing things.

It was planned, sure. But look at the network problems as an example. They weren't ready for that sh*t, apparently.

davey1975pafc

Gta online rushed?

No

Gta online and as well as gta v is the most beautiful, ongoing and diversifying game we've ever seen . And I bet rockstar in its current format will not ever be able to recreate that.(I hope I'm wrong)

I bet if you ask any of the otherof the top game developers in this world they'd hate to admit it but....they would agree

They're definitely learning as they go. Just because of the fact they keep changing things.

It was planned, sure. But look at the network problems as an example. They weren't ready for that sh*t, apparently.

they did what they know. It worked for IV and RDR and is adequate for V. Your expectation of what next gen gaming or match making is supposed to represent was just too high. Edited by TreFacTor

PeasantGaming > U

Obviously it was rushed considering the countless bugs and problems upon launch date. R* just cares about the money. They fix problems later after they get the money. Sometimes they never fix them.

Cant-B-Faded

they did what they know. It worked for IV and RDR and is adequate for V. Your expectation of what next gen gaming or match making is supposed to represent was just too high.I suppose the expectation of being able to play the game IS a bit out there. Shame on me.
  • Like 2

How To Get Away with M

they did what they know. It worked for IV and RDR and is adequate for V. Your expectation of what next gen gaming or match making is supposed to represent was just too high.

Actualy they didn't.

They messed the Matchmaking up simply because Matchmaking was not to be a planned Feature, up until very late in the development cycle.

If you look at Max Payne 3s Matchmaking it is absolutely phenomenal

Max Payne 3s player count on PC is about 200 players, however I manage to find a full 4 vs 4 lobby in a matter of 20 seconds, no joke.

Meanwhile GTA Online has about 50 000 players and it takes about 1 to 2 minutes to join a session and it may take you multiple attempts to find a full lobby, which is a shame realy, especially considering Max Payne 3 did it so much better, while being made by Rockstar and released earlier than V.

[Full disclosure at this point though, I may have had involvement in the making of Max Payne 3, so I might be biased, however the Matchmaking is as exactly as described]

Edited by How To Get Away with M

Probably the same. I don't think GTA Online was a rushed job at all, it was probably one of Rockstar's biggest project. The fact that up to 30 people can do whatever they want in such a big map in a (mostly) smooth way is damn impressive.

Battlefield 4 says hi.

This game is not a technical masterpiece, maybe on last gen it was currently it's nothing impressive.

How To Get Away with M

Battlefield 4 says hi.

This game is not a technical masterpiece, maybe on last gen it was currently it's nothing impressive.

Battlefield 4 does not support nowwhere near the huge feature set of GTA V though, including the huge open world and diverse mechanics.

Battlefield 4 says hi.

Battlefield 4 does not support nowwhere near the huge feature set of GTA V though, including the huge open world and diverse mechanics.

Open world with destruction limited to blowing up cars and knocking off street light poles.. yea. The action is also much more spread out in V whereas it's much more localised in BF4.

How To Get Away with M

Battlefield 4 says hi.

Open world with destruction limited to blowing up cars and knocking off street light poles.. yea. The action is also much more spread out in V whereas it's much more localised in BF4.

A smaller map obviously leads to a more localised action field, however in GTA V at times the action can be very local and dense as well.

Additionally the "destruction" in battlefield 4 is limited to scripted buildings falling off without any basis in physics, no doubt that this is technicly very impressing, but overall Battlefield 4 and GTA V are on the same level.

bloatedsack

Battlefield 4 says hi.

You used Battlefield 4 as your example.

Battlefield 4?!

Jesus f*cking Crisp, it's been out as long as V and still doesn't run right. At launch and for well over a year it was an unmitigated, buggy, broken mess. Their netcode still doesn't f*cking work right. That's your comparision for technical prowess?

GTAO had some sh*tty bugs and exploits, and they've been steadily patched out through near constant updates. It suffered from a rough launch, but R* worked on the back end and has kept it steady through most times. At launch, and at major launches, the only thing they're guilty of is underestimating in the network plannning department.

GTAO may not be perfect, but it's damn near it.

• Like 4

You do realize that most people don't buy consoles once they come out? Hell, it's 2016 and most console holders don't have the current consoles.

Battlefield 4 says hi.

You used Battlefield 4 as your example.

Battlefield 4?!

Jesus f*cking Crisp, it's been out as long as V and still doesn't run right. At launch and for well over a year it was an unmitigated, buggy, broken mess. Their netcode still doesn't f*cking work right. That's your comparision for technical prowess?

GTAO had some sh*tty bugs and exploits, and they've been steadily patched out through near constant updates. It suffered from a rough launch, but R* worked on the back end and has kept it steady through most times. At launch, and at major launches, the only thing they're guilty of is underestimating in the network plannning department.

GTAO may not be perfect, but it's damn near it.

GTAO is not near perfect, if you think BF4's netcode doesn't work right then GTAO's doesn't work at all. sh*t has disfunctional hit detection, awful delays and probably the worst matchmaking in the history of mankind, so you'll most likely be matched with aliens and that just exacerbates the connection problems.

I also wasn't heralding BF4 as a prime example of technical prowess, it was just better in that department compared to GTAO.

Rockstar called it "an ever changing world" in that original trailer they released all those years ago. They had a strong foundation but knew it would be a work in progress. I'm sure most of the features we know now were thought up after the game had been released.

Blasterman4EVER

Actually, yes, I think it was. It was unplayable at launch. But that's history, right?

It wasn't rushed, but it was running on a very limited toolset. Its oversights and errors were insurmountable at the start, but we've come a long way since then. I think if the online was released in 2014, we'd have likely seen more content going into it and would've been slightly less constrictive during jobs and such just due to the added development time. Characters probably wouldn't have been getting deleted for the first month of launch, and we probably would have better matchmaking.

everything was perfectly planned:

singleplayer received "features" that are ultimately leading you to multiplayer, where those features are not existing.

the 3 character thing with its random clothing, random cars etc. and not being able to customize yourself AND keep it like in Online are a good hint to what they had in mind.

Their focus was on fixing money glitches, pricing, mission payouts, mainly to get the cashcard flow going.

With the release of HEISTS and the newest overpriced things, they made sure all that glitched money gets spent!

now they even got rid of the hackers, those free money rain drops meant loosing money.

CarnageRacing00

The concept wasn't rushed but the delivery surely was.

The launch day of this game and the following months were pretty unstable, I could hardly believe that was meant to be an AAA game...

I have a hard time coming up with a AAA game whose online launch WAS stable... Maybe CoD games? But to be fair, they pretty much have that one figured out.