4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Hunting for a new CPU - Help Please

Illusive Prime

Illusive Prime

That'll comfortably fit the suggested parts.

So a MSI B150A or ASUS B150-PLUS would fit in there well?

And if I order one of them they will come with fittings?

Last time I looked at the back of my computer, it seems there is no way the back can come of. Eaither way, once I've got the required componants, I'll be paying someone to do it for me, I can't risk messing up my computer...I do have a tendency of ruining things. lol

Yes, they'll fit.

As for fittings, there will be risers in the case which will accommodate the motherboard, and screws used to hold the existing one in. Assuming the existing one is also full size ATX (which I think it is) it will simply slot in as a replacement.

If youre talking about the bit at the back where all the IO ports, USB and sound etc go (aka the IO shield or IO backplate), they snap in from the inside of the case. When you remove the motherboard you'll be able to take it out and replace it with the one designed for your new board.

It's worth noting you'll need to reinstall windows and your programs after swapping the motherboard.

Illusive Prime

Yes, they'll fit.

As for fittings, there will be risers in the case which will accommodate the motherboard, and screws used to hold the existing one in. Assuming the existing one is also full size ATX (which I think it is) it will simply slot in as a replacement.

If youre talking about the bit at the back where all the IO ports, USB and sound etc go (aka the IO shield or IO backplate), they snap in from the inside of the case. When you remove the motherboard you'll be able to take it out and replace it with the one designed for your new board.

It's worth noting you'll need to reinstall windows and your programs after swapping the motherboard.

Reinstall windows? Wow, I thought everything is on the hard drive and that it would take the computer a few minuites to adjust to the new changes. I'll have to invest in a windows 7 disk. Lost mine months ago. Thanks for all the info mate.

Unfortunately it's nigh on impossible to stably transition from one motherboard to another without reinstalling Windows. I've never managed to do so successfully even on motherboards from the same manufacturer using the same chipset.

Illusive Prime

Unfortunately it's nigh on impossible to stably transition from one motherboard to another without reinstalling Windows. I've never managed to do so successfully even on motherboards from the same manufacturer using the same chipset.

I think I'll order the MSI B150A first, I want more bang for my buck as the saying goes. Just out of interest, what are the two things above the CPU slot?

Above and and to the left? They're heat sinks for the northbridge and power phase.

not my experience.. switched from Asus H81 chipset 1150 to Asus Z170 chipset 1151

also changed at the same time the Cpu (obviously), ram and GPU.. the only thing that stayed the same was the HDD and no windows reinstalled

i did need to use the mobo disk to update drivers just cuz the lan wasnt working

edit: windows 10 (if that makes any difference)

edit2: also needed to type the windows product key

Imo those i5's just dont have enough power for todays games and for what he probably will use it. I know it from my own experience.

I do see the i7 as a strong value/price relation and a very long and good investment. Also I think saving up another month to buy something twice as good is worth it.

my i5-6600k at 4.4ghz can keep up with the gtx1080 with stable 60fps at 4k (no AA's) at very high settings (some settings like grass are normal) and its still far from 100%load. and cant see me changing for any i7 unless the 6700k

here is a pic of how the game looks like zN6KEZW.jpg

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

not my experience.. switched from Asus H81 chipset 1150 to Asus Z170 chipset 1151

also changed at the same time the Cpu (obviously), ram and GPU.. the only thing that stayed the same was the HDD and no windows reinstalled

Don't get me wrong, I know it's possible, but it's far from an ideal approach. Best case you normally end up with bits of two different sets of chipset drivers installed which is suboptimal and can lead to stability issues.
  • 2 weeks later...

You really don't need more than 16GB RAM. It's a waste of money unless you're running multiple VMs.

At this point the best thing to do would be to buy 2x8GB sticks, and if you feel like you need more in the future, just buy two more.

You really don't need more than 16GB RAM. It's a waste of money unless you're running multiple VMs.

At this point the best thing to do would be to buy 2x8GB sticks, and if you feel like you need more in the future, just buy two more.

Right, okay then, thanks. I've got the motherboard and just waiting for the CPU to be delivered to me now. Might get a new CPU fan also, not sure if the one I have now will fit in the new mobo.

If you have used a stock cooler, then it'll definitely not fit in the new mobo.

Which mobo and CPU did you settle on in the end?

If you have used a stock cooler, then it'll definitely not fit in the new mobo.

Which mobo and CPU did you settle on in the end?

I got the MSI B150 Gaming Pro mobo and the Intel Core Skylake Processor i5-6500

And the CPU cooler I have atm is a Fenrir by Titan

Picture link: http://imgur.com/a/RITgD

I'm also thinking of getting this new cooler though: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-RR-V8VC-16PR-R2-Performance-heatpipes/dp/B0160WQGBI/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1469318708&sr=1-9&keywords=cpu+water+cooler

But I'm not sure to get it, if it will fit even if it does, it looks like it could fall of because of the sheer size of the monster.

• Like 1

According to Titan's website Fenrir is compatible with LGA1155/1156 sockets, which means it's also compatible with LGA1150/LGA1151. Assuming you still have Intel-specific mounting brackets (or whatever this cooler uses) that came with it, you should be good to go. In any case, i5-6500 comes with a stock cooler that will do the job. As for the Cooler Master - it's completely unnecessary for this CPU (you don't need such an expensive cooler), and also a bad value for money IMHO.

If you plan to use your current cooler, just remember that you need to apply some thermal grease onto the CPU, if you don't have any buy it beforehand ;) (stock cooler comes with some thermal grease preapplied, it cannot be transferred onto another heatsink)

Edited by yojc

According to Titan's website Fenrir is compatible with LGA1155/1156 sockets, which means it's also compatible with LGA1150/LGA1151. Assuming you still have Intel-specific mounting brackets (or whatever this cooler uses) that came with it, you should be good to go. In any case, i5-6500 comes with a stock cooler that will do the job. As for the Cooler Master - it's completely unnecessary for this CPU (you don't need such an expensive cooler), and also a bad value for money IMHO.

If you plan to use your current cooler, just remember that you need to apply some thermal grease onto the CPU, if you don't have any buy it beforehand ;) (stock cooler comes with some thermal grease preapplied, it cannot be transferred onto another heatsink)

I have some thermal paste, and I just need a good cooler since I use my PC a lot especially for demanding games so that means the CPU will have to work hard I guess. If for some reason my current one doesn't fit I will have to settle for Intel's stock one for the time been. Thanks for the advice. :)

Most games are a lot more taxing on the GPU than on the CPU. Even if they weren't, the stock cooler will still get the job done. The biggest reason not to use it would be to get the noise down.

^^ i wouldnt use the stock cooler even to blow air to my face

I'm also thinking of getting this new cooler though: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-RR-V8VC-16PR-R2-Performance-heatpipes/dp/B0160WQGBI/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1469318708&sr=1-9&keywords=cpu+water+cooler

But I'm not sure to get it, if it will fit even if it does, it looks like it could fall of because of the sheer size of the monster.

that is a good cooler (i personally dont like the style or something that big)

why not some all-in-one watercooler ?

What you would or would not do with it doesn't change the fact that it is still sufficient to cool a non-overclocked CPU. Noise levels and efficiency are other matters completely but it will still work.

What you would or would not do with it doesn't change the fact that it is still sufficient to cool a non-overclocked CPU. Noise levels and efficiency are other matters completely but it will still work.

if by "it will still work" you mean your Cpu wont burn i can agree...

but dont tell me it will keep your Cpu in acceptable temps while gaming..

as in all tech, high temperatures are the enemie of good performance, if you are going to spend 200$ plus on a cpu dont use a 5$ cooler to keep it safe

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

That hugely depends on what you deem to be "acceptable". If we define "acceptable" as "not throttling" then yes it will. Gaming is not even that big of a workload for the CPU on most modern games. You are basically saying Intel is designing their CPU's to thermal throttle which would make no sense what so ever. Edited by Andreaz1
  • Like 2

Yes, they'll fit.

If it's the same chipset it often fires up without a problem, perhaps a repair install will need to be performed but I don't think it needs a fresh install. Don't get me wrong I'm all for the fresh install on new hardware, but I appreciate some folk can't be bothered redoing everything.

That hugely depends on what you deem to be "acceptable". If we define "acceptable" as "not throttling" then yes it will. Gaming is not even that big of a workload for the CPU on most modern games. You are basically saying Intel is designing their CPU's to thermal throttle which would make no sense what so ever.

The stock cooler will be fine if there's adequate air flow around it and it's still stock clocked. I've got the Raven case and had to go 3rd party, not because of the limited room but genuinely the stock cooler was too large.

You are basically saying Intel is designing their CPU's to thermal throttle which would make no sense what so ever.

yes iam,thermal throttle its a safe measure done by the manufactures to prevent the temps on the Cpu /Gpu by slowing down they're speed to allow it to cool down

A standard Intel cooler will keep a CPU at stock boost frequency well under throttling temperatures and 100% load pretty much indefinitely. It might get pretty loud doing do and certainly won't be as efficient as a better cooler, but claiming it'll throttle on a standard cooler under normal operating conditions is rubbish. It's literally what the coolers are designed to do.

The temperatures will be fine.

A standard Intel cooler will keep a CPU at stock boost frequency well under throttling temperatures and 100% load pretty much indefinitely. It might get pretty loud doing do and certainly won't be as efficient as a better cooler, but claiming it'll throttle on a standard cooler under normal operating conditions is rubbish. It's literally what the coolers are designed to do.

The temperatures will be fine.

1- you should read all my posts above and see i never said it would reach thermal throttle, i just explained it to Andreaz1

2- just cuz thermal throttle starts at 90º doesnt mean you should let you Cpu playing for hours at 70º or 80º

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

yes iam,thermal throttle its a safe measure done by the manufactures to prevent the temps on the Cpu /Gpu by slowing down they're speed to allow it to cool down

Are you deliberately misquoting me because you have no other arguments?

1- you should read all my posts above and see i never said it would reach thermal throttle.

2- just cuz thermal throttle starts at 90º doesnt mean you should let you Cpu playing for hours at 70º or 80º

1. You said it won't be able to keep "acceptable" temperatures so that's what you were implying. You still haven't told us what you consider to be "acceptable".

2. Thermal throttling doesn't start until you reach 100ºC.

3. 70-80ºC are perfectly normal working temperatures for a modern Intel CPU, which is why Intel will let their CPU's coupled with their coolers reach those temperatures to begin with. You won't start affecting the longevity and stability of your chip until you go above that.

Edited by Andreaz1

1- you should read all my posts above and see i never said it would reach thermal throttle, i just explained it to Andreaz1

Except you totally, utterly missed his point. Try again.

It has literally zero meaningful impact on anything. I'm all for chasing temperatures but at standard voltage and standard clocks an OEM cooler is perfectly sufficient and anyone who tells you otherwise is delusional.
  • 4 weeks later...
Gareth Alan Willmer

Hi all,

So, I've cleaned my CPU, cleaning and applying a new thermal compound to it, only a slight improvement. I play lots of games on my computer, especially GTA V.

So I've been having difficulty knowing what my CPU etc, and now I know what it is and the socket it uses.

Just to point it out in case, my pc is VERY old and have never replaced the CPU and only the hard drive.

My CPU is an AMD Phenom X4 955 Processor with a AM3+ CPU socket support and a DDR3 RAM card reader.

My question is: Am I okay to get, for example a new CPU like a MSI or Intel or is my motherboard only supported for an AMD CPU's? I'm no tech geek so I am confused.

I live in the United Kingdom, so I was hoping to know what better processor I can get for about £250 - £300? I've been looking on Amazon for new ones.

All help is appreciated! :)

For Intel CPUs that go up to £250 to £300 go here

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/processors/intel?sPage=1&sSort=3

For AMD Cpus that go up to £250 to £300 go here

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/processors/amd?sPage=1&sSort=3

It will depend on some key factors

1. What you want your CPU to do and

2. If certain cpus work well with the hardware setup of your choice. I would also look for ones with the most cache and cores and with the highest speeds when it comes to processors.