1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Hunting for a new CPU - Help Please

Illusive Prime

Illusive Prime

Hi all,

So, I've cleaned my CPU, cleaning and applying a new thermal compound to it, only a slight improvement. I play lots of games on my computer, especially GTA V.

So I've been having difficulty knowing what my CPU etc, and now I know what it is and the socket it uses.

Just to point it out in case, my pc is VERY old and have never replaced the CPU and only the hard drive.

My CPU is an AMD Phenom X4 955 Processor with a AM3+ CPU socket support and a DDR3 RAM card reader.

My question is: Am I okay to get, for example a new CPU like a MSI or Intel or is my motherboard only supported for an AMD CPU's? I'm no tech geek so I am confused.

I live in the United Kingdom, so I was hoping to know what better processor I can get for about £250 - £300? I've been looking on Amazon for new ones.

All help is appreciated! :)

Hi all,

So, I've cleaned my CPU, cleaning and applying a new thermal compound to it, only a slight improvement. I play lots of games on my computer, especially GTA V.

So I've been having difficulty knowing what my CPU etc, and now I know what it is and the socket it uses.

Just to point it out in case, my pc is VERY old and have never replaced the CPU and only the hard drive.

My CPU is an AMD Phenom X4 955 Processor with a AM3+ CPU socket support and a DDR3 RAM card reader.

My question is: Am I okay to get, for example a new CPU like a MSI or Intel or is my motherboard only supported for an AMD CPU's? I'm no tech geek so I am confused.

I live in the United Kingdom, so I was hoping to know what better processor I can get for about £250 - £300? I've been looking on Amazon for new ones.

MSI make motherboards not cpu's. AM3+ is and AMD motherboard socket so you can only get AMD cpu's. If you want an Intel CPU youd need a new motherboard with an intel socket. The best CPU you can get for AM3 is probably an AMD FX-8350 but bare in mind it's not just the CPU - the graphics card is important too so maybe download Speccy and take a screenshot of that so we know your specs and we can advise from there :)

• Like 1

EqqGXy2.gif

You don't actually say but I'm guessing you want to get your temperatures down. Just get a new cooler?

• Like 1

Illusive Prime

Hi all,

MSI make motherboards not cpu's. AM3+ is and AMD motherboard socket so you can only get AMD cpu's. If you want an Intel CPU youd need a new motherboard with an intel socket. The best CPU you can get for AM3 is probably an AMD FX-8350 but bare in mind it's not just the CPU - the graphics card is important too so maybe download Speccy and take a screenshot of that so we know your specs and we can advise from there :)

Thank you! My graphics card is only a few months old, it's a Nvidea GeForce GTX 970 Zotac 4GB, the graphics card is fine, it's just the CPU, I only just relized that I have ne reducing it's lifespan, I tend to make vids for YouTube and just heard I'm meant to use the GPU instead of the CPU. (face palm in embarrassment) and it's time to lay the good ol' gal to rest as she's had a good run. :D Found this AMD on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FX8350-Processor-4-2GHz-Socket/dp/B009O7YUF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469316503&sr=8-1&keywords=AMD+FX-8350 How old is this model just out of curiosity?

FX-8350 was released in 2012, and even then it wasn't exactly cutting edge. I'm not entirely convinced it's worth it, especially if you insist on buying it new, not second hand.

What motherboard do you have exactly?

74cXSsx.png

For £300 you're best off buying a midrange Intel i5 (6400, 6500) and a new motherboard (B150 chipset).

• Like 3

Untitled-1.jpg
P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

The 4790K is nearly £300 on its own. For anyone outside of power users or people chasing overclocks, a 6500 and B150 combo with new DDR4 makes more financial sense, is more upgradable, more future proof and offers better returns.

If you're looking at spending £400+ on an unlocked Devil's Canyon chip and suitable mobo, you might as well bite the bullet and buy an overclock-biased Skylake system or pick up a Haswell-E deal whilst it gets phased out.

• Like 2

Untitled-1.jpg

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Well he asked for a processor for 200-300 quids. But I am aware that he would probably need to up the mobo as well.
With that being said, he did say he is recording videos which do require alot of CPU power for recording with big enough bitrate and rendering, to have good quality.

Imo those i5's just dont have enough power for todays games and for what he probably will use it. I know it from my own experience.

I do see the i7 as a strong value/price relation and a very long and good investment. Also I think saving up another month to buy something twice as good is worth it.

As for the upgradeability, you're probably right, but as far as I know it's still very good value.

Well he asked for a processor for 200-300 quids. But I am aware that he would probably need to up the mobo as well.

I think he was looking at spending up to £300 for a replacement, so that would suggest he'd have about the same to spent on replacement board/processor/RAM. A 6500, B150 board and 16GB DDR4 adds up to pretty much exactly £300.

Imo those i5's just dont have enough power for todays games and for what he probably will use it.

A GTX 970 is probably a bigger bottleneck if we're looking at maximising fidelity. But it's very game dependent. Most current titles still don't efficiently use more than 4 threads.

I do see the i7 as a strong value/price relation and a very long and good investment. Also I think saving up another month to buy something twice as good is worth it.

I don't think that a 4790K comes close to double the performance of a 6500 in any metric. As a CPU it shines in overclocking particularly, but once you start factoring in improved cooling, a motherboard that actually enables overclocking via unlocked multipliers and making sure your PSU is up to scratch, you're knocking on the door of £450-500 and that's even before you take into account the time it takes to perfect a properly efficient overclock.

As a throw'n'go solution a 4790 non-K makes some sense but there's only any point buying unlocked chips if yourr going to invest additional money and time making the most out of the significantly higher price. And you're going to have to invest in DDR4 and a new socket at done point, might as well be now.

Untitled-1.jpg

As for the benchmakrs of the 4790k and 6500, it maybe is not exactly the double but you get what you pay for:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=2599&cmp%5B%5D=2275

Having an i5-4670 before (which according to benchmakrs is the same performance as 6500) and the i7 now I can tell you it makes a huge difference.

I have not yet found a instance where 970 would be the issue of bad performance for my needs.

As for the amount of cores, that's true that most games don't use more then 4 threads... yet.

With the DX12, which is coming soon, games will use multi/hyperthreading to maximize performance and it's supposingly gonna be big. Can't wait.
Apart from that, if he is "heavy" on videos and likes good work flow and quality, the 4790k looks to me like an optimal choice. Since the software will use it.

As for Overclocking the i7, havent done that yet and I don't plan pushing further than 4,4GHz, but I've read that having it steadily on 4,4ghz it runs just as smooth and does not require additional attention. May be wroong here.

It depends on what he will do with it in the end, but Im mostly talking about my expiriences.

Your solution is probably way more optimal and flexible. True. So OP rather listen to him if you wanna go in that direction. Besides he seems more informed.

I personaly would try to save up some moni and go for a more high-end vibe. Which may be just a personal preference.

Illusive Prime

FX-8350 was released in 2012, and even then it wasn't exactly cutting edge. I'm not entirely convinced it's worth it, especially if you insist on buying it new, not second hand.

What motherboard do you have exactly?

I just need something that helps keeps games at a steady 60fps. And my motherboard is a ASUS M5A8.

For £300 you're best off buying a midrange Intel i5 (6400, 6500) and a new motherboard (B150 chipset).

No way I'm getting a new motherboard..not yet at least.

Edited by Illusive Prime

No way I'm getting a new motherboard..not yet at least.

I mean I don't know much about AMDs but as far as I know your Mobo is outdated for a significant upgrade.

If that's the case:

Ha! Good luck upgrading your CPU then.

You won't get a consistent 60FPS out of an FX-8350 and GTX 970 on V. I didn't with my 8320, and that was cranked up to 4.5 GHz. In fact it was one of the main drivers for my upgrade.

Untitled-1.jpg

As for the benchmakrs of the 4790k and 6500, it maybe is not exactly the double but you get what you pay for:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2599&cmp[]=2275

You do realise though that such benchmarks are not particularly relevant when comparing CPU gaming capabilities?

I just need something that helps keeps games at a steady 60fps. And my motherboard is a ASUS M5A8.

Assuming that's a typo and you meant M5A87... well, I definitely wouldn't recommend FX-8350, or any FX-8XXX for that matter. While they are officially supported, you might run into throttling issues due to inadequate phase count (4+1) and lack of cooling on VRMs. What I mean by that, is that under load the CPU might underclock itself to prevent the mobo from overheating, which would cause slowdowns.

Long story short, there's not much you can do, if you insist on keeping your current mobo. While you could get an FX-6300 (which might work properly on your mobo), this is hardly an upgrade.

Edited by yojc

74cXSsx.png

Illusive Prime

You do realise though that such benchmarks are not particularly relevant when comparing CPU gaming capabilities?

Assuming that's a typo and you meant M5A87... well, I definitely wouldn't recommend FX-8350, or any FX-8XXX for that matter. While they are officially supported, you might run into throttling issues due to inadequate phase count (4+1) and lack of cooling on VRMs. What I mean by that, is that under load the CPU might underclock itself to prevent the mobo from overheating, which would cause slowdowns.

Long story short, there's not much you can do, if you insist on keeping your current mobo. While you could get an FX-6300 (which might work properly on your mobo), this is hardly an upgrade.

So what's the best mobo to get?

The best thing to do is to switch from AMD to Intel entirely. Something like this, at ~£65, will do you well:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150A-GAMING-PRO.html#hero-overview

Untitled-1.jpg

Yes. He did say he is doing videos which is relevant.

And like I said before, DirectX 12 is coming. It will make use of those cores for the games.

Well, only DX12 games and only if devs implement multithreading.

Untitled-1.jpg

yea sure, but once it's released all new games will have it, and some older ones will probably have implemented compatibility.

Very few games have retrospectively incorporated DX12 support, and almost no DX12 games currently support proper simultaneous multithreading.

Untitled-1.jpg

Oh yea, it's still WIP. But it's comming and it will be more and more, including like I said compatibility for older games.

some of the releases who will have dx12: Watch Dogs 2, Battlefield 1, Deus Ex:Mankind Divided, and as it all evolves more and more use will be made.

Illusive Prime

The best thing to do is to switch from AMD to Intel entirely. Something like this, at ~£65, will do you well:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150A-GAMING-PRO.html#hero-overview

Thanks mate! Looks good as well, but when I buy this I think I would have to buy a new PC casing, I'm not sure if the back of my tower is detachable for new fittings. And I can't buy from MSI's website so I will have to get it from Amazon which I found one but for £90.99. And what would be the Intel CPU and RAM you would recommend? I'll find these and make a list to get these.

What case have you got?

So assuming you can fit a full-size ATX board in your system (most can), this is what I've come up with for CPU/RAM/Mobo

Asus B150-PLUS D3- £66.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/B150-PLUS-D3-Motherboard-Express-Stainless-Steel/dp/B014QPFEJG/

Intel i5 6500- £177.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Skylake-Processor-i5-6500-Turbo/dp/B010T6CWI2/

Patriot Viper Elite 2666MHz- £57.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viper-Elite-DDR4-2800MHz-PVE416G280C6KRD/dp/B0196AWFHA

£302.97 for a decent ATX B150 board, the second fastest non-unlocked Skylake i5 and 2666MHz DDR4 RAM.

Untitled-1.jpg

Illusive Prime

What case have you got?

So assuming you can fit a full-size ATX board in your system (most can), this is what I've come up with for CPU/RAM/Mobo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/B150-PLUS-D3-Motherboard-Express-Stainless-Steel/dp/B014QPFEJG/

Intel i5 6500- £177.99

Patriot Viper Elite 2666MHz- £56.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viper-Elite-DDR4-2666MHz-PVE416G266C5KRD/

£301.97 for a decent ATX B150 board, the second fastest non-unlocked Skylake i5 and 2666MHz DDR4 RAM.

I don't know what model it is, it's by Cool Master. It was custom built by PC Specialist. I'll have to get back to you. If I can, I'll try to post a picture of it If I can if it helps.

Illusive Prime

What case have you got?

Intel i5 6500- £177.99

Patriot Viper Elite 2666MHz- £56.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viper-Elite-DDR4-2666MHz-PVE416G266C5KRD/

£301.97 for a decent ATX B150 board, the second fastest non-unlocked Skylake i5 and 2666MHz DDR4 RAM.

And I'm not sure what non-unlocked means with computers.

Unlocked means you can overclocking by changing the CPU multiplier. You pay a lot more for that ability.

And fixed the last link.

If it's a proper mid tower Cooler Master case you will be able to change the backplate and all that will fit. But you'd need to post a model or image to confirm it.

Untitled-1.jpg

Illusive Prime

Unlocked means you can overclocking by changing the CPU multiplier. You pay a lot more for that ability.

And fixed the last link.

If it's a proper mid tower Cooler Master case you will be able to change the backplate and all that will fit. But you'd need to post a model or image to confirm it.

http://imgur.com/a/D7hrl <-- Image of my case.

Edited by Illusive Prime

That'll comfortably fit the suggested parts.

Untitled-1.jpg