4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

How to fly better?

Angelababy16

Angelababy16

Any tips on flying the buzzard?? I recently just bought it and I'm kind of confused on turning and stuff like that.. If you have any useful tips please message me or comment below.. Thanks .. Ps4 controller

The basic controls:

• R2 makes the helicopter go up.

• L2 makes the helicopter go down.

• Pushing the left stick forwards makes the helicopter lean forwards, giving it momentum and making it go, well, forwards.

• Pushing the left stick in other directions will make it do the same thing - but in other directions, of course.

• L1 Makes the helicopter rotate left.

• R1 makes the helicopter rotate right.

• For the best turns, you'll probably want to use a combination of R1/L1, and the left stick in the appropriate direction.

• While locking on with the missiles, tap L1/R1 to cycle through targets.

• Square changes weapons.

• X shoots.

Once you've got the basics down, here's a guide to using it:

http://gtaforums.com/topic/837852-helicopters-strategies/

after it locks on a moving vehicle turn the nose up to improve the chances of getting a kill; if you're free aiming players on the ground switch to first person, it's easier to kill them with the canons/rockets that way. Also, if there's a jet/player with homing trying to kill you never turn your back on them, use instead buildings for cover. The buzzard flies very well, just do some missions like lost santos connection/trash talk etc to get used to it.

The basic controls:

• R2 makes the helicopter go up.

• L2 makes the helicopter go down.

• Pushing the left stick forwards makes the helicopter lean forwards, giving it momentum and making it go, well, forwards.

• Pushing the left stick in other directions will make it do the same thing - but in other directions, of course.

• L1 Makes the helicopter rotate left.

• R1 makes the helicopter rotate right.

• For the best turns, you'll probably want to use a combination of R1/L1, and the left stick in the appropriate direction.

• While locking on with the missiles, tap L1/R1 to cycle through targets.

• Square changes weapons.

• X shoots.

Once you've got the basics down, here's a guide to using it:

http://gtaforums.com/topic/837852-helicopters-strategies/

great guide, I was about to suggest it :)

Angelababy16

It's kinda confusing .. Do I have to hold L1 constantly so it goes up?? Like idk I just want it to stay in one place and just turn left or right then shoot.. IDKK how to explain >.>

It's kinda confusing .. Do I have to hold L1 constantly so it goes up?? Like idk I just want it to stay in one place and just turn left or right then shoot.. IDKK how to explain >.>

You don't have to keep holding the button to go up all the time. Just hold it for a few seconds every now and then, when you can see you're dropping too low.

The rudder buttons (L1 and R1) will roatate the helicopter so it's facing where you want. If you have lock on missiles out, they'll do the job for you. If not, push the left stick forwards - this will tilt the nose of the helicopter down. You can then free aim fire a missile when you pass over your target.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, I'll do my best to answer.

• Like 3

No offense, but how long have you been playing GTA Online? Also, steal some helicopters from the helipad or airport and just fly them around, you'll get used to flying choppers in no time.

Angelababy16

Like 8 months? But I never fly anything that much.. Like literally cuz I can't even turn and all but I'm getting like 80% better but cuz I just literally bought a buzzard like literally 2 days ago so yea lol.. I'm just kinda annoy because when I land the buzzard it literally got smokes on the back and it starts to slow down and stuff -_- so idk.. Lol.. I just can't even with this plane.. But it's ok cuz it helps a lot of ceo work and stuff

Like 8 months? But I never fly anything that much.. Like literally cuz I can't even turn and all but I'm getting like 80% better but cuz I just literally bought a buzzard like literally 2 days ago so yea lol.. I'm just kinda annoy because when I land the buzzard it literally got smokes on the back and it starts to slow down and stuff -_- so idk.. Lol.. I just can't even with this plane.. But it's ok cuz it helps a lot of ceo work and stuff

Helicopters don't turn like planes:

This is how planes normally turn, by banking and then applying the elevator (the part of the plane that makes the aircraft go up and down).

turns.gif

Helicopters are very much different, since they don't have wings, they turn by tilting the rotorblades and adjusting the speed of the tailrotor.

Press the left and right bumpers on the controller to yaw the whole helicopter horizontally. Use the left thumbstick to angle the helicopter. For example: If you want to turn right, you can either apply the right bumper and then wait until the helicopter points right, then use the thumbstick to angle the helicopter where the helicopter is pointing at. Or you could try to turn like a normal plane, by using the thumbstick to "swing" the helicopter to the right.

Just search on google, "how plane/helicopter turning works."

• Like 2

LIKE LITERALLY you should have played a bit of story mode before going online

R2: Go up in the helicopter

L2: Go down in the helicopter

L1 - R1: rotate left and right

Left Stick: Move the helicopter in any direction you want

Square: for changing weapons

X: for shooting

Triangle: End with your life while in the air

Angelababy16

Um actually I literally did played most of the story mode so idk what youre talking about.. Plus I can literally play online whenever I want and stuff

Literally story mode literally teaches you how to use a helicopter

• Like 3

Angelababy16

This is how planes normally turn, by banking and then applying the elevator (the part of the plane that makes the aircraft go up and down).

turns.gif

Helicopters are very much different, since they don't have wings, they turn by tilting the rotorblades and adjusting the speed of the tailrotor.

Press the left and right bumpers on the controller to yaw the whole helicopter horizontally. Use the left thumbstick to angle the helicopter. For example: If you want to turn right, you can either apply the right bumper and then wait until the helicopter points right, then use the thumbstick to angle the helicopter where the helicopter is pointing at. Or you could try to turn like a normal plane, by using the thumbstick to "swing" the helicopter to the right.

Just search on google, "how plane/helicopter turning works."

Ohh okay, thxxx

Literally story mode literally teaches you how to use a helicopter

Oh cool, but I'm not feeling like playing story mode anytime soon.

Edited by Angelababy16

GAUNTLET HELLFIRE

Practice is the best way to get better. Go into an invite only session and start up Headhunter to get better at killing with the missiles and Sightseer to get better at flying and landing use the CEO menu to get a free Buzzard and if you crash just call Pegasus for another one and if you crash that the cooldown for the CEO one should be over. Take your time and land gently after a while you will be able to land quickly without damaging it you get 15 minutes to finish the missions and if you fail you still get paid but a lot less. I use to really suck at flying and landing but by doing that I have gotten a lot better and I rarely damage my Buzzard landing even in tighter spots.

Air races are also a good way to practice because if destroy the plane/helicopter you will respawn in another one. I did a lot of air races to learn how to land a plane I still suck but I can land on an airstrip without blowing up.

Edited by maxx1013

Practice is the best way to get better. Go into an invite only session and start up Headhunter to get better at killing with the missiles and Sightseer to get better at flying and landing use the CEO menu to get a free Buzzard and if you crash just call Pegasus for another one and if you crash that the cooldown for the CEO one should be over. Take your time and land gently after a while you will be able to land quickly without damaging it you get 15 minutes to finish the missions and if you fail you still get paid but a lot less. I use to really suck at flying and landing but by doing that I have gotten a lot better and I rarely damage my Buzzard landing even in tighter spots.

Air races are also a good way to practice because if destroy the plane/helicopter you will respawn in another one. I did a lot of air races to learn how to land a plane I still suck but I can land on an airstrip without blowing up.

^

This.

Chief theef

This seems like its true to me but can anyone else confirm this? (I saw it in a video): Holding L1+R1 or LB+RB makes you go faster when in an aircraft?

Fly a bunch in contact missions to get a hang for the controls and try out tactics others have already suggested here. Getting a sense of the range of the missiles as compared to the range of ground-based NPCs is an important step, one that can really only be understood through experience, as staying out of range or killing small groups very quickly are the main ways to counter the high accuracy of NPCs.

Headhunter VIP missions are also good practice, but are much more punishing if you get within range because of how powerful the NPCs are. Wait on fighting players until you both know how to fly the chopper decently and understand how the homing noob launcher works and how to deal with it.

[quote name="EntityShadowz" post="1068966066"

This is how planes normally turn, by banking and then applying the elevator (the part of the plane that makes the aircraft go up and down).As an actual pilot in real life I'm gonna have to stop you there. A fixed-wing aircraft turns by banking with the ailerons and then applying the rudder in the direction of your turn. NOT The Elevator

Literally?

• Like 2

Angelababy16

Literally?

?

DentureDynamite

IMO one of the best (and most practical) ways to learn how to fly the Buzzard is to fly slowly (at first) and low above streets in downtown Los Santos; banking, dodging light poles, maintaining a safe height--a lot of practical skills (flying control, evading jets and other aircraft, etc.) come into play when doing that.

Flying under the bridges through the flood drains is another great way to practice (e.g. races like Heli River--might as well get paid to practice). :)

As you get used to it, just speed up the process.

For landing, the Flight School chopper landing (on a moving truck flatbed) is a good test of your skills--but do Sightseer as often as you can; it will make you adept at it in time...over time, you'll find yourself doing things like backwards flying, steep diving/pulling up at the last second, and rotate-twisting mid-flight.

Added notes on the Ultimate Buzzard guide:

* Leave your radar set to extended size; the screen area it uses might be annoying at first, but you get used to it, and the trade-off is better warning against jets, etc.

* Unless you're an expert at dodging missiles (or are in a remote area that would leave you stranded without easy access to a vehicle, such as Mt. Chilliad), jump the second you hear a homing launcher lock onto you. Any delay means you'll likely die from collateral missile damage trying to jump out.

* If your CEO/VIP-spawned Buzzard is smoking when you ditch it, blow it up with a grenade. If you don't, the next time you request a CEO/VIP Buzzard, it will spawn WITH the same damage in which you left it, since R* "recycles" (thanks R*) damaged Buzzards in CEO/VIP spawns, even when the full cool-down time is up for subsequent spawns.

* Keep a mental list of potential Buzzard spawn points in-game: The south LS hospital roof, LS International Airport, NOOSE H.Q., Merryweather docks, the police station near the cable car in Paleto Bay, and both landing strips (Grapeseed and Sandy Shores) can spawn Buzzards randomly. The more potential options you have across the map, the better your chances of getting to a replacement Buzzard.

* Being a CEO/VIP at level 43 and owning a Pegasus Buzzard gives you three spawn choices: random, CEO/VIP, and Pegasus.

Edited by DentureDynamite