2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Are you still able to enjoy old games?

MyDog

It would appear most people just do what the game tells them to do. For example. Damn, there is a gap in the bridge to Staunton Island at the beginning, I guess that means I gotta wait and do Missions to unlock it, right? Absolutely not. People play too casually without thinking outside of the box.

So how are you supposed to get to Staunton Island without glitching the game or using the unintended ability to jump across the bridge from one beam to another?

Thinking outside the box to get across is not required, nothing is casual about waiting for bridges to open either. People are actually playing the game as intended.

That argument is only somewhat vaild for SA and IV as you are not required to glitch your way across, you only get a wanted level if you do - and if you choose a challenge, you can survive it and escape (even though you're still not meant to go there until it's unlocked, but at least you don't need to glitch your way through).

He's showing his so-called "eliteness" again.

Anyway, I still enjoy old games, especially with interesting mods being embedded to the gameplay (III Aircraft).

• Like 2

Couldn't feel more identified with what Militia said, 3d era games are something that nowdays still catching me off, I am so glad I can still enjoy 3D era games, they're all my chilhood.

Edited by Still Madd
  • Like 1

Algonquin Assassin

Honestly, no. I downloaded Vice City on my PS4 a few weeks back with intentions of playing through it, but I lost interest halfway through. I don't know, but the "magic" simply wasn't there for me anymore and Vice City is the GTA I've always considered to be the pinnacle of the 3D era.

3D era GTAs are only fun in small doses IMO. They're still playable enough to mess around with for a while, but I can't remember the last time I finished a 3D era GTA. It's been at least a decade.

• Like 1

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

Here's a simple question:

Does outdated hardware affect any ones decision to buy something [ not talking about games, music, etc which are form of creative expression, but the technology ( like consoles ) that will enhance your experience ] in real life ?

If yes, then I don't understand when it comes to consoles the "outdated hardware" becomes less important for people to play old games and even worse start bashing the 3D era GTAs when clearly your "decision" to hold onto these "old" consoles is also the cause of many complaints and concerns for the experience with old games that remains unchanged ever since they were released.

For instance, do you still use the same cell phone or any device purchased a decade ago without buying something better that comes along?

There're people for whom listening to old music or playing old games, keeps them happy and entertained in its original form of experience, and so this post doesn't apply to them and I respect their emotional attachment.

It leaves me wondering about those who ignore "better hardware" to play them for improvements and relentlessly complain about how bad the games perform / feel on old consoles, no matter how interesting the games may seem, but people stick to the practice of using the same, old consoles to play over any other better platform to run them like PC, mobiles, etc.

Seriously, Instead of complaining just replace the sh*tty console and switch to a better platform because the developers nor console makers are selling the customers proper "remaster" of old GTAs that will benefit from re-releasing on NG hardware. Its simply a cash grab which so many customers blindly hand over the money while still complain about the old games still feeling old. Like wtf?

Jezus Holy Christ

I do.

I have GTA3 on my phone and VC and SA on my laptop and I gotta say I actually still play them more than HD games.

I don't know why. They just haven't gotten old for me.

Here's a simple question:

Does outdated hardware affect any ones decision to buy something [ not talking about games, music, etc which are form of creative expression, but the technology ( like consoles ) that will enhance your experience ] in real life ?

If yes, then I don't understand when it comes to consoles the "outdated hardware" becomes less important for people to play old games and even worse start bashing the 3D era GTAs when clearly your "decision" to hold onto these "old" consoles is also the cause of many complaints and concerns for the experience with old games that remains unchanged ever since they were released.

For instance, do you still use the same cell phone or any device purchased a decade ago without buying something better that comes along?

There're people for whom listening to old music or playing old games, keeps them happy and entertained in its original form of experience, and so this post doesn't apply to them and I respect their emotional attachment.

It leaves me wondering about those who ignore "better hardware" to play them for improvements and relentlessly complain about how bad the games perform / feel on old consoles, no matter how interesting the games may seem, but people stick to the practice of using the same, old consoles to play over any other better platform to run them like PC, mobiles, etc.

Seriously, Instead of complaining just replace the sh*tty console and switch to a better platform because the developers nor console makers are selling the customers proper "remaster" of old GTAs that will benefit from re-releasing on NG hardware. Its simply a cash grab which so many customers blindly hand over the money while still complain about the old games still feeling old. Like wtf?

Yes, I use an old "indestructable" Nokia cellphone because I don't need any functionality offered by newer devices.

Some people may prefer dealing with an original game version and its annoynces rather than a newer one. Take classic GTAs for example - the first release might have some bugs, the next one might have them fixed with newer ones added. Or might be censored - there are certain dialogues altered or songs removed. Or might be graphically worse due to developers thinking that textures in HD applied to outdated models are going to look better than a balanced connection.

Also different hardware deals with things differently. A good old PS2 will never prompt you to download updates, accept EULAs, require internet connection, create a "special account", etc. It's like comparing a movie player to a computer. When I own a PS2 game it becomes portable and uncensorable - no corporation will take my disc and replace it with a castrated game and I'll be able to play it on any good hardware the future gives us thanks to emulation and I can legally create a backup copy and play from it. Compare it to a PC game which is compiled for certain architecture and for certain operating system and checks for the original disc or has even more subjugating protections.

• Like 1

DimitriFaustin

I still play GTA 2 on my PC (and my PS1 version on my PS2) as much as I play V and IV, which makes a GTA 2 freak. :lol: I only play GTA 1 and the London games for maybe an hour or two nowadays, but I can still honestly say I think they're great games. The only 3D games I bother to play are III, Vice City and Vice City Stories, I used to have a much bigger love for them until IV came out, and that love has since not rekindled (to that level at least).

It probably goes without saying (or as I might've said too much) that 2 is still my favourite GTA, so my answer to the title's question is most definitely yes.

Edited by DimitriFaustin

HeistsActivist

My first GTA game was V so I started with great graphics. Sure it was fun but I'll never really enjoy SA and VC as much. I recently traveled and could only bring a PS2 so I brought my copy of VC along and was stuck with that for 2 weeks. I have a new appreciation for Tommy Vercetti and I got used to those graphics by the second week. I got back home and jumped on 360 and was just stunned. Then got on PS4 and was even more stunned.

i still find GTA 4 better than GTA V. GTA V's physics were SEVERLY toned down to satisfy the whining 10 year olds about their "cars being damaged too easily" and "enemies being too hard!11!!!". GTA 4 may be last-gen, but its still more advanced than V.

• Like 3

ComputerBlue

Very much so.

I'm currently replaying VC and it's as great as it ever was.

I'm not a big fan of remasters and what not, but I would love a remaster of 4 on current gen consoles. As much as I love it, It just runs so meh on PS3.

ComputerBlue

i still find GTA 4 better than GTA V. GTA V's physics were SEVERLY toned down to satisfy the whining 10 year olds about their "cars being damaged too easily" and "enemies being too hard!11!!!". GTA 4 may be last-gen, but its still more advanced than V.

As much as I love 4's physics, the driving physics would not work with V with all it's off road terrain, it would suck to be honest.

DetectivePhelps

As embarrassing as I'm about to sound, Owner of both XB1 & 360...I never in my life knew about San Andreas. Only VC, LC...etc!

So I was at GameStop and saw a 'remastered' SA.

I ask the person have you played this before? He said, dude buy it.

I did & played this 3 Months ago. The best fun I've ever had IN MY gaming Life, Honest to goodness!! I notice the graphics were not like GTA V, but dammit it's fat more fun. It feels, wait...it's new to me now, still learning. So I bought 2 copies of them.

I'm a huge, huge fan of this. I'm able to buy safehouses that are actual safe houses, just too much.

So yes, This is one Classic I enjoy the most.

Only from time to time. I have VC on my phone with mods which I can play every now and then when I'm out. I can only play SA on PC, the 360 version is f*cked up. I don't have GTA I, II, III, CTW or the Stories games anymore, but I'll still always have fond memories of them. TBH, I was never as attached to VC or SA as other people were in the first place, which is probably why I can't play them much, on top of the outdated controls. IMO the HD era is a vast improvement, and no, not just because of the graphics.

DetectivePhelps

I just need to detail that on my xb 360 version in which I would only play classics on, SA- No bugs, no cut off music that I've heard from friends of mine, odd to most, I imagine but on my end, sweet deal. Being that I've always played HD era, This San Andreas is fascinating to me, in my eyes this is so damn great. I can't explain it. It's like online now but 'then'standards of buying houses, girlfriends, Jetpack, did I mention Jetpack? My god, I love it. Such a feel good game! Love San Fierro, hate Las Ventura.

The races, the story & characters I feel so attached to. This is just me. The only game I have on that Console. For me as a new comer to this game, It's a feel good game, no decisions on who to kill, Something IV bothered me with, another story for another day. Too bad V didn't capitalize on houses, extra garages like SA. Looking at this- this game was a true Heart & Soul Taylor made for Single player dedication to single player to its fullest. Just my opinion, in a humble way.

I will say this...Every game is special in it's own way, love all series.

I never played GTAs until IV (actually my big brother got me into it, cause he was/is huge fan of the series), but people on this forum convinced me to try older titles, which resulted in me buying San Andreas. Now, I knew the graphics wouldn't be as shiny and pretty, but I'm not much of a gamer, so I didn't care. While the beginning was rough for me, ever since I got to customize CJ and start "real" missions I got sucked into the game (like, I wasn't doing anything other on my computer). So yes, I am absolutely able to enjoy older games too, given that they are good. :)

DetectivePhelps

I never played GTAs until IV (actually my big brother got me into it, cause he was/is huge fan of the series), but people on this forum convinced me to try older titles, which resulted in me buying San Andreas. Now, I knew the graphics wouldn't be as shiny and pretty, but I'm not much of a gamer, so I didn't care. While the beginning was rough for me, ever since I got to customize CJ and start "real" missions I got sucked into the game (like, I wasn't doing anything other on my computer). So yes, I am absolutely able to enjoy older games too, given that they are good. :)

I feel the same way. Good story man.

hasidichomeboy

Most of the time, yes, but I tried playing GTA 3 on the Xbox after playing it on the PC and it's pretty unplayable for me. The targeting system is atrocious.