2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Are you still able to enjoy old games?

MyDog

I know that a great many users on this forum grew up with, and spent a lot of time playing, the good old 3D Era games. And having beaten them numerous times, are you still able to go back to them and find enjoyment and fun in them?

I ask because recently I installed San Andreas after a good number of years not playing it. I knew it wouldn't be as fun as before, but I hoped for at least some nostalgic enjoyment. The feeling was a bit depressing when I realized I didn't even get that out of it. I had beaten this game, and VC and III, numerous times, and there was literally nothing fun in it anymore. I knew the whole map, all the missions and a great deal of dialogue by heart, I've beaten the game 100% three times, and there was literally nothing new I could find out because I had already done and seen and experienced everything there is to do, see and experience in this game. And it was a bit sad knowing that, no matter how much time passed, I will never be able to truly enjoy these old games anymore.

• Like 1

Sweet Bellic

Not anymore I have spent hundreds of hours on GTA VC and SA so I´m tired for them ;(

Guest Guest176525326

I still play San Andreas now and again and I still find it very enjoyable. But it has definitely aged a bit and of course its not as satisfying/magical as it was 10+ years ago.

I feel you buddy. This is why I don't play VC and SA all that much anymore as I don't want them to feel outdated coming back from newer games, I've played and lov e them to death but I do confess that it's not the same playing them in 2016 as it was before, so I would rather just look back and remember those golden years with fondness than risk having them lose their charm by playing them now and finding them outdated or showing their age

I feel you buddy. This is why I don't play VC and SA all that much anymore as I don't want them to feel outdated coming back from newer games, I've played and lov e them to death but I do confess that it's not the same playing them in 2016 as it was before, so I would rather just look back and remember those golden years with fondness than risk having them lose their charm by playing them now and finding them outdated or showing their age

Grate now i'm f*cking crying my eyes out because this is all true. My childhood was grate growing up with these old gta's :cry:
  • Like 1

Sweet Bellic

Grate now i'm f*cking crying my eyes out because this is all true. My childhood was grate growing up with these old gta's :cry:

Mine too :cry:

Don't get all depressed man, instead be happy that you spent your childhood killing and running civilians over :D

I jest,just be happy that you got to play such great games and had such wonderful memories with these classics

I finished SA for the first time this week (never played it properly before) and while the controls, stats, some of the mission structure and physics are such a f*cking disgrace to playability it almost made me puke in disgust, the rest of the game is pretty awesome and deservedly a legend. And yea, it's fun, maybe more than lots of the contemporary games. SA's map can beat V's map and take its lunch money any day of the week. No wonder so many things were lifted from SA and recycled.

Maybe it's because I'm relatively new to the game compared to some others that I've played to death. I have the opposite experience with Mafia. It's arguably the best game ever (not favorite, but best overall) but I've played it so many times I find it difficult to enjoy that one anymore. Sometimes I wish I could erase some great games from my memory just so I could experience them again fresh.

I still don't get how R* can do some amazing experience on one hand and on the other hand do some amazing f*ckups with such incredible incompetence it would make some indie newbie devs commit harakiri.

Edited by RogerWho
  • Like 1

I still play and love San Andreas. It's the Pinnacle of the series, since IV didn't have a countryside :(

• Like 2

I'm still able to enjoy older GTA games (well, most of them) and I still play them from time to time.

• Like 1

Lethal Vaccine

Still playing Goldeneye on N64 as well as Mario Kart since the late 90's to early 00's. Still playing the 3D Era GTA's since 2001. No need to jump on any bandwagon and follow any crowd and do what everyone else does.

Still listening to music in which was released before I was born, too. I learned to appreciate things from all eras...

• Like 1

universetwisters

Barely. It's hard to enjoy III without all the fun bikes of VC. And it's hard to enjoy IV without all the much better music from EFLC.

Definitely. I have always fun going back to my favourite classics. Sometimes I feel like it´s quite the opposite: I´m not able to enjoy many modern games because they don´t have much more to offer then beautiful visuals and a mulitplayer I don´t care about.

Sure, the 3D era games are a bit archaic now, but I don´t care. One of the games I play regularly is "The Settlers 2: Veni, Vidi, Vici", a game from 1996. So I don´t really care about games being archaic if they keep me entertained.

I still play all of the old games (though LCS I haven't touched in a very long time).

The trick is to trick your mind into believing you haven't seen on done the things in them before (probably cannot be 100% achieved but you can get the jist) if you don't enjoy re-plays of the older GTAs.

I just got done with ANOTHER 100% playthrough of San Andreas and put III back in (though III has admittedly held up pretty badly to today's standards) to 100% complete again. I also find completing them 100% to be the only way to play them nowadays.

A lot of video games in general (even newer games) cannot mimic and perfect the free-roaming environment that GTA gives in each game, and I personally don't like playing a game like that.

Modded versions of the games (San Andreas in particular) on the PC can still have loads of re-play value in them.

Lethal Vaccine

That's why the 3D Era is awesome to go back to, not only doing 100% (which is something I do every time. Wouldn't even play if I wasn't doing that), but you can also do 100% with maintaining Minimum Stats in the Pause Menu as well as trying other challenging tasks like doing tons of Missions in a row without saving and staying away from dying/busted, plus tons of Special Vehicles to be found in each, too. There is always something new to try...I love keep the Safehouse Visits Stat at a minimum, for instance, as it goes to show how good you really are. Some people get too nervous and need multiple run throughs at a Mission before finally passing it, but trying to do lets say 25 Missions in a row, without dying, getting busted, using Cheats, or failing any of those Missions is huge. I've done this in LCS and Portland's Story Missions. I was able to do from Home Sweet Home to Driving Mr. Leone without saving. Then again, that's what happens when you do many playthroughs. You get better, things become easier...

It's gotta have something to do with age. Younger people obviously can enjoy the classics, but it's usually older people who are still playing them and trying these kind of things out. A younger person typically wouldn't even give it the time of day and instead, will buy a game and immediately go Online to find all the Cheats for the game. It's what I did, as well as all of my friends did back in 2001 when III came out, for instance. But as I grew older, I see no point in half assing a playthrough and just do it ALWAYS to 100% and do every possible thing imaginable in the game.

Experience trumps all...

I can get into the newer GTA's, too, but not as much as the 3D Era. I always said this, though. It's no surprise. Most challenging aspects have been removed with the HD Era, which puts me off from enjoying to play it as much. I still do, time to time, though.

Edited by MetalMilitia89
  • Like 6

I have bouts of going back to play San An, Vice and III and I'm currently hankering a replay of III. I play the original gta for about 10 minutes or so most days because its just here on my laptop and easy to turn on especially if I'm travelling

So in short, yeah I love playing the old games just as much as the new. I almost want there to be a return to some of the more simpler arcade elements of the GTA series. I'm a maverick. a rebel. I want arcade, I want cartoony GTA back.

I'm not afraid to admit it anymore god damn it! Its time for change

uhh... by bringing a taste of the past back

Edited by Mikeol2014

RIP Rockstar Games

1998 - 2021

Still playing Goldeneye on N64 as well as Mario Kart since the late 90's to early 00's. Still playing the 3D Era GTA's since 2001. No need to jump on any bandwagon and follow any crowd and do what everyone else does.

Still listening to music in which was released before I was born, too. I learned to appreciate things from all eras...

It isn't about age, or dateness, or things like that. I asked if people are still able to enjoy games that they've beaten so many times they know them by heart. Doesn't really have a lot to do with the game's age or era per se. Edited by MyDog
  • Like 1

Lethal Vaccine

If you're a fan of the Series, you'll enjoy them until the end...

• Like 3

Lunar_Twisted

Till this day, I still enjoy playing the 3D Era GTA games and beat them so many times. So much fun. I just love the story and the plot twists. I remember before GTA SA came out, I had a magazine and it showed early pictures of the game. One picture showed a train and I was so hype and I was hoping it can be hijack. I remember when I first play GTA SA, after I beat the first mission, I was so hype that you can steal a train, so I did. When I hijack a train at a station, I went as fast as I can through the tunnel and derailed on the cliff side and the engine car and the rest of the passenger cars fell off the tracks into the lake. Then, that's when I discover that I can swim in this game. I thought I was going to die when my train fell into the lake and drown, like in III & VC.

• Like 1

Race n Chase

I play the 3D era GTA's at least a couple times a year, & I got into Halo & Max Payne series in 2013. Good gameplay never ages.

• Like 1

Yeah,I still play SA sometimes and still enjoy it a lot,the map, the soundtrack, the story, many features and side activities are great.I enjoy more than any other game in the series.

I also play VC occasionally and while I like SA a bit more,I do enjoy it too,the soundtrack, the story and the characters are great and it's still a fun game to play.

Absolutely. I mostly play old games now with exceptions to Rockstar titles and Fallout along with sports games.

Actually completed Vice City again on PS2 yesterday. I mostly play the old Rockstar titles like Manhunt, State of Emergency, Warriors, Midnight Club, etc.

Oh, yes. I still enjoy them. I really don't care if games I play is old or not. I just want to play them, that's the thing.

I can only enjoy old GTA's.

New GTAs Single player experiences are soo.. bad and atrociously BORING that I can't even play them for more than 10 minutes.

Thanks to mods otherwise I would never bother with HD GTAs.

Old games still have certain charm to them with a lot of interesting content that puts even HD games to shame for sheer unlimited fun and freedom. I don't think I'll ever get bored in playing old games, even without mods. They are simply superb if you don't care about graphics.

• Like 2

I know that a great many users on this forum grew up with, and spent a lot of time playing, the good old 3D Era games. And having beaten them numerous times, are you still able to go back to them and find enjoyment and fun in them?

I ask because recently I installed San Andreas after a good number of years not playing it. I knew it wouldn't be as fun as before, but I hoped for at least some nostalgic enjoyment. The feeling was a bit depressing when I realized I didn't even get that out of it. I had beaten this game, and VC and III, numerous times, and there was literally nothing fun in it anymore. I knew the whole map, all the missions and a great deal of dialogue by heart, I've beaten the game 100% three times, and there was literally nothing new I could find out because I had already done and seen and experienced everything there is to do, see and experience in this game. And it was a bit sad knowing that, no matter how much time passed, I will never be able to truly enjoy these old games anymore.

Yes.

I won't believe that everything a game can possibly offer has been discovered and played. There are still new discoveries being made about obtaining special vehicles, doing stuff at the beginning of the game's plot, etc. For example I have never done

that allows jumping to unreachable places and I just know it'll help me very soon...

You can create your own rules for playing the games, such as beating the game:

* as fast as possible

* without certain weapons or an armor (which I have done for VCS some time ago)

* without visible radar/HUD

* when the cities are a war zone: 1,

* with killing as few people as possible (I call it a "pacifist run")

* with perfect bullets fired/hit ratio

* without saving or saving as few times as possible.

These are only a few of many examples that make the game feel way different than originally played. Be clever, invent your own rules, share them or even create a thread and post videos of beating the game with these rules there.

• Like 2

Eugene H. Krabs

I'm still enjoying some of the old GTA titles, mainly GTA 2 and VCS. :)

• Like 1

Lethal Vaccine

I won't believe that everything a game can possibly offer has been discovered and played. There are still new discoveries being made about obtaining special vehicles, doing stuff at the beginning of the game's plot, etc. For example I have never done
that allows jumping to unreachable places and I just know it'll help me very soon...

You can create your own rules for playing the games, such as beating the game:

* as fast as possible

* without certain weapons or an armor (which I have done for VCS some time ago)

* without visible radar/HUD

* when the cities are a war zone: 1,

* with killing as few people as possible (I call it a "pacifist run")

* with perfect bullets fired/hit ratio

* without saving or saving as few times as possible.

These are only a few of many examples that make the game feel way different than originally played. Be clever, invent your own rules, share them or even create a thread and post videos of beating the game with these rules there.

This exactly. It would appear most people just do what the game tells them to do. For example. Damn, there is a gap in the bridge to Staunton Island at the beginning, I guess that means I gotta wait and do Missions to unlock it, right? Absolutely not. People play too casually without thinking outside of the box. Perhaps they find things boring because they are only doing things one way. There is so many ways to dive into the 3D Era GTA's. It's up to the Player to actually try anything, though. More times than not, they won't, though.

• Like 1

Fishers Fritz

For me every GTA game is special. So I still enjoy playing the classics. Unlike to GTA 4 and 5, they have the nostalgia bonus. Damn, I was so happy when I unlocked Staunton Island in GTA 3 back in the days. :D

WildBrick142

It would appear most people just do what the game tells them to do. For example. Damn, there is a gap in the bridge to Staunton Island at the beginning, I guess that means I gotta wait and do Missions to unlock it, right? Absolutely not. People play too casually without thinking outside of the box.

So how are you supposed to get to Staunton Island without glitching the game or using the unintended ability to jump across the bridge from one beam to another?

Thinking outside the box to get across is not required, nothing is casual about waiting for bridges to open either. People are actually playing the game as intended.

That argument is only somewhat vaild for SA and IV as you are not required to glitch your way across, you only get a wanted level if you do - and if you choose a challenge, you can survive it and escape (even though you're still not meant to go there until it's unlocked, but at least you don't need to glitch your way through).

• Like 6