4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

KickassTorrents Domain Seized; Owner Arrested

Archer V.3

KCiPrJd.jpg

KickassTorrents has been seized by US authorities and its owner arrested for criminal copyright infringement and money laundering. The site is one of the world’s largest torrent tracking sites in the world; at times dwarfing the traffic seen from the infamous Pirate Bay.
Artem Vaulin, a 30 year old Ukrainian, was arrested in Poland for running the site and is currently awaiting extradition to the US. Vaulin is to be charged with conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement, conspiracy to commit money laundering, and two counts of criminal copyright infringement.
DkVYbYx.jpg
The complaint filed in the US District court shows that investigators had posed as an advertiser to make contact with Vaulin and revealed a bank account associated with the site. It was Apple that revealed Vaulin’s identity and personal information to investigators when his IP address was cross referenced when he used it to perform an iTunes transaction.
KickassTorrents is currently down, but it looks like several proxies are still operational. We wouldn’t be surprised if it keeps operating, even if Vaulin ends up behind bars in the US. After all, years of criminal proceedings failed to shut down the Pirate Bay.

• Like 2

Don't forget that he used that same IP that was logged on Apple's iTunes to log onto the KAT's facebook page.

For someone who owns another company that deals with encryption/security, it seems quite stupid?

Rookie mistake.

Edited by Quadro
  • Like 4

It won't go away indefinitely. It will come back again.

Ai®a©ob®a

Don't forget that he used that same IP that was logged on Apple's iTunes to log onto the KAT's facebook page.

For someone who owns another company that deals with encryption/security, it seems quite stupid?

Rookie mistake.

Most likely a mistaken in the moment when he wasn't thinking it just on autopilot.

I have used KAT in years because of all of the MALWARE/VIRUS as they don't bother to check the uploader, i used a difference site that test the files being uploaded

• Like 2

aye it'll be "shutdown" just like "tpb" was shutdown and blocked in the uk

PirateBay was fined here in the Netherlands and then blocked for like, what, 14 days?

Edited by Fireman

Just another reason not to use Facebox or iToons.

ROCKSTAR MANIC

Dang, This guy is gonna do some serious time. Hell I bet he achieved a lot of income with the price.

Hell, Crime doesn't not pay. :miranda:

Edited by ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • Like 1

>not using a private tracker

let the mirrors begin

good.

I mean, that's fine with me, just like it was fine with me when they jailed the guys behind Pirate Bay.

this doesn't effect me because I don't steal things.

I tend pay for products that I enjoy because I have a job and I'm not 13 years old ;)

AboveAndBeyoncé

good.

I mean, that's fine with me, just like it was fine with me when they jailed the guys behind Pirate Bay.

I tend pay for products that I enjoy because I have a job and I'm not 13 years old ;)

Same only difference is... If you can get it free, why pay for it? Lol jk jk I save up and buy what I want :) Edited by AboveAndBeyoncé

Thesmophoriazusae

We may as well shut down the entire internet infrastructure or whatever it is and start exploring mountains and feeling nature and stuff. Anyways, other than what I previously said (which is silly as monkey balls) That is disappointing. Very disappointing about the owner (absolute legend).

Torrent sites were only allowed to exist for so long because the internet was a twilight zone in every country as far as law went, that changed a lot in the past decade so it's not that surprising really.

good.

Most cringey post of the year so far.

seen this below at imgur's public gallery front page to do with the matter,

note I haven't used torrents in a few years or longer, to many reformats and clean install's to remember and to much of a hassle!..

When I heard KickassTorrents got shut down today. <--- original title

GmsWZBt.gif

original source http://imgur.com/gallery/qOFeKG4

• Like 1

tbh if you still manage to somehow get viruses constantly you're an incompetent f*ck

Good ridden. Although I agree that the site will most likely not go away.

make total destroy

I don't steal things.

I tend pay for products

I have a job

4cyQ4La.jpg

Most cringey post of the year so far.

yes I don't steal things like a child.

you'll understand in a few years. or maybe you'll still be in your parents basement pirating games and music. it doesn't really bother me either way.

Sunrise Driver

Or you don't care about things and only consume what is officially available. Basically what they want you to watch/listen.

Apple "fully cooperated" in this matter but some other day refused to unlock dead terrorist's phone. Shows who's the real threat to them.

Edited by Street Mix

Or you don't care about things and only consume what is officially available. Basically what they want you to watch/listen.

oh yeah, bro.

you got me there. by not stealing things, I'm just an Illuminati puppet. you're right.

tinfoil-hat-guy.jpg

One gets shot down, another will pop up in it's place. This isn't really breaking news or surprising nowadays, because they will always find a way around it, and the guys "in charge" or organising it all should know the risk.

yes I don't steal things like a child.

you'll understand in a few years. or maybe you'll still be in your parents basement pirating games and music. it doesn't really bother me either way.

For something that doesn't bother you, you're judging pretty hard, and considering I'm none of those things and have pirated, your hypothesis is already BS ;)

Original Light

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with what happened, but how did this not happen sooner? You'd think it'd take investigators only a few days to shut down such a high profile site, yet it takes them years?

For something that doesn't bother you, you're judging pretty hard, and considering I'm none of those things and have pirated, your hypothesis is already BS ;)

it doesn't bother me but I sure enjoy calling people out on their nonsense.

it's not a hypothesis. it's just giving people sh/t for stealing things and not paying for them.

so I'll ask you straight up. you're a competent adult.

why are you stealing things?

I used to use torrents. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I wasn't a broke teenager at one point. but then I got a job. this is not me sitting on a high horse judging people. this is me wondering why you would steal things when you know better.

Sir Michael

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with what happened, but how did this not happen sooner? You'd think it'd take investigators only a few days to shut down such a high profile site, yet it takes them years?

I was thinking the same thing. In 2012 during the SOPA debates, MegaUpload got shut down. I'm surprised that it took 4 years for another one of these high-profile sites to get canned.

But, like everybody else said, another site will take its place. Piracy isn't one of those things that's just going to die with a couple of shut downs.

• Like 1

it's not a hypothesis. it's just giving people sh/t for stealing things and not paying for them.

I used to use torrents. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I wasn't a broke teenager at one point. but then I got a job. this is not me sitting on a high horse judging people. this is me wondering why you would steal things when you know better.

Why does anyone take anything? Because they don't have access to it easily. I'm certainly not suggesting everyone should pirate everything without consideration because I understand it is illegal and that there's nothing "just" or "right" about it in general. I don't download music because it's freely available, I don't download games and never have/will because collecting games is a hobby to us all here, and I don't download most media because I pay for digital TV and streaming services like Netflix, but if I can't access something because of restrictions like country/location, I will download it like many other millions that do. Money could be eventually returned through me via things like merchandise or premium services or paying for boxsets for example.

So at the end of the day, age, competence or wealth has nothing to do with the debate on piracy anymore IMO, it's about freedom and access that people would be more than happy to pay for if they were given the choice to. It could be combated and dealt with a lot more easily if companies understood this. It's drastically reduced over recent years, even though the catalogue for what you can download is bigger, because services like Netflix who actually grasp the concept that people will pay for content if you give them access to it.

No calling out from those with better Internet morals is necessary. It's the least illegal thing you could do using the Internet, surely, when comparing it to other "crime"? It's also very easy to excuse yourself since you're only obtaining something that is so widely available at the click of a button via the people who copy and upload initially. Piracy also always begs the question of who is the real perp and should face the fine; the person who opens a link or the file sharer who makes it available in the first place.

But we're probably mildly off-topic here.

• Like 3

Mr. Scratch

Because old ass records like stuff from Def Jux isn't around to buy, that's why.

not everyone has the money to fork out for music/movies/programs/games regardless of how big their paycheck is.