3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA IV on PC?

wiizardii

I'm planning to buy GTA IV on PC, is it a good port or is it horrible? Should I buy it on disc or from Steam? Thanks for any answers

I didn't know where to post this because the IV section doesn't have a ''PC'' sub-section like GTA V has

Depends on your computer specs, but i'll give you an example on myself.

My computer, was running GTA IV on medium settings with 30 FPS. I still do not know why I didn't downgraded graphics even more for more FPS.
Then, I uninstalled GTA IV to download GTA V.
I'm currently running GTA V on medium-high settings with 45-50+ FPS
Hope that helps to figuring out how you can run IV, with horrible optimization.
Assuming you ran GTA V on your computer.

Also, if you're living in a sh*tty country like me, and if you have a download cap, downloading on steam can be pain.

Dics version has it's cons too, being a physical product, it can stratch or broken over time.

Edited by AjdarFan

Well, the port is kinda sh*tty... it's playable, though.

GTA IV runs like sh*t (worse than the PC-version ?) on consoles, so...

I bought the game on steam, ' does what it's supposed to do ( no crashes or anything, stutters sometimes ).

Depends if your PC is good or not. If you're looking to mod it with ENBs, you'll definitely need a good computer. If not, then you should be fine.

Alright if it helps, here are my specs:

RAM: 16gig

Processor: Intel i7 4770k up to 3,50Ghz

Graphics card: Nvidia or whatever the hell it's called GTX 760

And HDD is 2TB.

Edited by wiizardii

And HDD is 2TB.

So your over here with an over average/good PC and your tryna tell me if you can run GTA normally

• Like 1

Sweet Bellic

And HDD is 2TB.

I have GTX 760 but only I5 4460 and I can run GTA IV on highest settings with 30 fps.

Edited by Sweet Bellic

Sussus Amongus

yee28.gif

Edited by Pastry

Alpha Demigod

I can run GTA IV 60fps on high settings, with non-important stuff like water quality and AA turned down.

I have an i5 4690k, GTX 970, and 8gb RAM

Yeah, the port is sh*t. But the game is still great (in its own ways). I still play these days. After you do all the updates and patches it runs fine. Do not get the disc version...get a digital one. Steam preferrably.

Edited by PM-ME-YOUR-TITS-GIRL
  • Like 1

It runs great for me. Definitely a must buy.

Although for the best experience, download:

- XLiveless

- Bulletspread Fix (performance isn't the only thing C* screwed up in the PC port, an actual core gameplay mechanic was screwed up)

And you should remove/rename/move away Paul.dll from the GTA IV folder so that you're not bothered by Online logins and stuff like that (if you're gonna use XLiveless).

Edited by B Dawg

I forgot to mention my OS is Windows 8.1, which might be the only pain in the ass issue I've come across with San Andreas (and could come across with IV now that I'm thinking about it)on Steam,couldn't play it at all, so I bought the disc version.. Only to find out I can't play the disc version properly too, so I did some file modifications that I got help from YT and here.

Does IV run smoothly on Windows 8.1 or do I need to do some file sh*t?

P.S: Not a computer genius or expert or anything which is why I didn't know if I could play this game properly, except for now because everyone is saying my specs are great for running this game.. I just wanna play a game without any issues, something that did NOT happen with SA.....

Edited by wiizardii

I forgot to mention my OS is Windows 8.1, which might be the only pain in the ass issue I've come across with San Andreas (and could come across with IV now that I'm thinking about it)on Steam,couldn't play it at all, so I bought the disc version.. Only to find out I can't play the disc version properly too, so I did some file modifications that I got help from YT and here.

Does IV run smoothly on Windows 8.1 or do I need to do some file sh*t?

P.S: Not a computer genius or expert or anything which is why I didn't know if I could play this game properly, except for now because everyone is saying my specs are great for running this game.. I just wanna play a game without any issues, something that did NOT happen with SA.....

On any current OS you need to do some "file sh*t" because some textures are completely f*cked or just straight up won't work. Just change some things in a .ini folder (went over my head and can't remember the specific one, look it up on youtube, I remember it being very simple) and voila, a copy of IV that runs well and looks good.|

EDIT: The .ini was "commandline" and I'm pretty sure it has to be created

Edited by BeauShow

LazlowsucksiloveslutS

My computer, was running GTA IV on medium settings with 30 FPS. I still do not know why I didn't downgraded graphics even more for more FPS.

Also, if you're living in a sh*tty country like me, and if you have a download cap, downloading on steam can be pain.

Dics version has it's cons too, being a physical product, it can stratch or broken over time.

That's funny. My computer runs GTAIV better on high settings, compared to running GTAV at normal settings. At least in GTAIV keys are responsive. At least in GTAIV textures don't disappear when driving fast. At least GTAIV doesn't take 30 minutes to load. At least in GTAIV I can buy clothes without waiting 5 minutes for the menu to pop up. At least in GTAIV there is no delay when pausing a game and selecting menus. At least in GTAIV sound doesn't disappear in the middle of a cutscene. I didn't know the meaning of lag and gaming related pain until I played GTAV. Anyways, that's just me and my experience. On an ultra PC both games run well at high settings, I guess.

Yeah Steam version is more comfortable, but disc version has better audio quality and added bonuses are the map and poster.

Playing on Windows 8.1 - you need to download some kind of Directx runtime thing and an update to Games for Windows Live. Performance-wise there is no difference whether you play it on Windows 10, 8.1, 7 or Vista.

That's funny. My computer runs GTAIV better on high settings, compared to running GTAV at normal settings. At least in GTAIV keys are responsive. At least in GTAIV textures don't disappear when driving fast. At least GTAIV doesn't take 30 minutes to load. At least in GTAIV I can buy clothes without waiting 5 minutes for the menu to pop up. At least in GTAIV there is no delay when pausing a game and selecting menus. At least in GTAIV sound doesn't disappear in the middle of a cutscene. I didn't know the meaning of lag and gaming related pain until I played GTAV. Anyways, that's just me and my experience. On an ultra PC both games run well at high settings, I guess.

Yeah Steam version is more comfortable, but disc version has better audio quality and added bonuses are the map and poster.

Playing on Windows 8.1 - you need to download some kind of Directx runtime thing and an update to Games for Windows Live. Performance-wise there is no difference whether you play it on Windows 10, 8.1, 7 or Vista.

I did not experienced any of the problems for GTA V like you said. Maybe it's about your computer? Except for pause menu delay, which i think is not a big deal.

OK how do I do that? Like I said, I am not a computer genius, xD

LazlowsucksiloveslutS

Yeah my PC is ancient, and GTAIV does run better on it at high settings than GTAV at normal. Both settings take 1GB of VRAM.

When I had Windows 8.1 installed and wanted to play GTAIV, it did not launch. So I Google searched "playing GTAIV on windows 8.1" among search results there was a link to Steam community thread which had link on it for Directx runtime. Games For Windows update can be done within game once you're able to launch it. in fact game should notify automatically that games for windows update is available. But Games for Windows is unnecessary, unless you care about achievements and multiplayer (which is empty anyway).

All you need is that directx runtime thing for windows 8.1 and a file called xliveless which disables games for windows.

Google it, you should figure it out.

P.S I don't know how new to computers you are, in the case of installing files like xliveless, there is usually a readme file that guides you through where and how to copy the file.

Wait I didn't have any of the windows live for games file craps.... I think I might have already removed them when I tried to install San Andreas a few years ago. Will this make the process much easier? hmmmm wish me luck.

EDIT: Nevermind guys, I can't even log into Social Club which is the first thing you have to do... Lmao. I type in the correct credentials or whatever the hell it's called but I still can't log in. ''Social Club log-in failed. Please try again you noob :)''.

Edited by wiizardii

You don't need social club if you update the game to some newish version. I guess you have the disc version then? Well just download either 1.0.4.0 or 1.0.7.0 (IIRC) update, download and install xliveless and you're good to go. I think.

And HDD is 2TB.

You can play the game at max settings but it's so poorly optimized that your performance will vary (30-70 FPS). Still, it's quite playable (I recommend turning off in-game v-sync and turning on v-sync and triple buffering in the NVIDIA control panel). Luckily you have a very decent CPU which is important for this game.