2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
MrHaynes1980

Honestly think shark cards ruined rockstar.

TwistOfLime21

As things get more expensive, making the money becomes easier. This game pretty much throws money at you.

Fail_At_GTA

You don't have to buy shark cards. Money is really easy to make in this game if you do heists with friends or do the CEO crates with a Hydra. Its all really easy.

infectedG636

I've been playing GTA since the first game came out around 1997-98. It became my favorite video game series of all time. I completed every game 100% even going as far as getting level 10 in GTA 4 multilayer. (which takes forf*ckingever) Now fast forward to 2013. GTA 5 comes out, and soon after, Online. Now in the beginning the prices for everything were reasonable. Hell in the first update, everything was free. But now every update costs an arm and a leg. Almost 20k for an average item of clothing and almost 100k for a full outfit. Cars are ridiculously expensive to fully modify, and making money in game takes forever. The culprit for this? Shark Cards. The microtransactions where rockstar gets most of their profit now. When you're playing legit without shark cards or money glitches, it's pretty much impossible to stay above a million dollars. I've lost a whole damn lot of respect for rockstar over their greed with the shark cards. I hope one day they can go back to the old ways.

Forgot to mention that I also believe shark cards to be the reason we didn't get the single player dlc we were promised. Remember 2014 when they announced it? Yeah still not here, due to the success of GTA online.

i actually tend to agree. But what do you wanna do about it? Free updates whatever.

20451ecneps

it's pretty much impossible to stay above a million dollars.

^ I disagree with this point in particular.

Edited by SPENCE15

MrHaynes1980

Free updates. But when everything is expensive as hell, are they really free?

ash-274
  • Shark Cards (which are still optional)
  • Subscription fee (WoW and others)
  • Paid-for updates (L.A. Noire, and others)
  • Never get any updates or bugfixes after Beach Bum

It's not free for them to support and keep adding to the game, so pick one, OP.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

i kinda agree that things became 2 to 3 times more expensive and the oldest days were better....but like the whole year before heists came out it was a lot harder to make cash...

then again, besides heists nothing makes particulary consistently more money then doing missions

i would love it if after they officialy released the....ehm....

Hmmm.....this has been talked about already several times i think.....

Hunter

When you're playing legit without shark cards or money glitches, it's pretty much impossible to stay above a million dollars.

Statements like these weaken the case of those who don't like shark cards (I myself am not a fan of them).

You know, when this update hit, I spent about $8M - and I still have over $2M right now.

Never bought a shark card and most likely never will, and I've never glitched money (not that I'm against those who do, at all).

Yes, shark cards are cr*ppy, and they're terrible value for money. But that doesn't mean you should make stuff up. It just weakens the case.

Also, there are a few threads talking about shark cards already.

Not to bust your balls OP, it's just stuff like that hurts the whole argument.

Edited by Icantthinkofonew

MrHaynes1980

I guess it was a stupid point about it being impossible to stay above a million, since I can barely play between working and raising 2 kids.

ash-274

I guess it was a stupid point about it being impossible to stay above a million, since I can barely play between working and raising 2 kids.

That is both a legitimate issue and not Rockstar's fault.

Hunter

Now I feel bad lol.

Ok, if you have a lot of time to invest in the game, then you can stay rich legitimately. Admittedly, I have a lot of spare time.

Shark cards ... Most people hate them. I don't like them either. But they're one of those evils that will probably never go away.

MrHaynes1980

My point is that I just feel that they've changed because of the whole shark card thing. Been a loyal fan for 18+ years.

elfoam

Not only Rockstar it's ruined games full stop. But you'll see in this thread that very few people can see past shiny gold and mirrors.

saintsrow

• Shark Cards (which are still optional)
  • Subscription fee (WoW and others)
  • Paid-for updates (L.A. Noire, and others)
  • Never get any updates or bugfixes after Beach Bum

It's not free for them to support and keep adding to the game, so pick one, OP.

I think we all know what Rockstar (and any MMO provider) is. OP is just haggling about the price. :p

EDIT:

My point is that I just feel that they've changed because of the whole shark card thing. Been a loyal fan for 18+ years.

The old business model was, you design a game, and if it's a good game, you make a nice profit. Rockstar invested $265M in development and marketing, and reaped probably about 50% of the $3B retail sales of the game. Pretty good business model, if you ask me.

But then, Rockstar came upon an even better business model: Why make new maps or new stories? That takes way too long, and costs way too much, and it's creatively difficult and risky.

Why do that, when the player base is throwing $500M per year of free shark money at us, while we just keep using the same old map, and keep trickling out ever more expensive shiny shallow toys for a tiny fraction of the cost of designing a new game. Now *that's* a business model !

Edited by saintsrow

Matrelith

At this point making money is easy in online, people just can't be bothered with investing time in it but want everything right now. For that easy road shark cards are the answer. For those that want to work for our items the game gives plenty of opportunities.

Edited by Matrelith

Hunter

People just can't be bothered with investing time in it but want everything right now. For that easy road shark cards are the answer.

I don't know - how much do all the Pegasus vehicles cost? I'd guess at $100M+.

So if shark cards are the answer to being able to get everything ... That could get expensive.

ash-274

Not only Rockstar it's ruined games full stop. But you'll see in this thread that very few people can see past shiny gold and mirrors.

That's an industry problem, made acute by players that expect new content and continued support for games.

Up until the widespread internet-connected consoles and PC (and later, mobile) games came out, a publisher would spend time and resources on a game, publish it (make cartridges or burn CD ROMS) and that was it. Maybe they need to fix some DLL files for PC, but that was all they were expected to do for those games, short of some epic f-up that went through testing unnoticed. They would then start working on a sequel for a successful game or begin the next new project and then expect you to buy the new game from them.

Some of us bought this game 34 months ago (though some pre-ordered it nearly 3 years ago!) which was unheard of in the gaming industry a decade or two ago (when OP and many of us became such a fan of Rockstar's work) because they keep adding things to the game. New modes, new vehicles, new vanity things, Creator, Editor, etc.

The $60 or so you paid in 2013 can't stretch to cover the costs of stuff in 2016.

And before someone parrots that "they made a billion in sales" they spent 5 years making this game with zero income from it. That was also "a billion" in gross sales. GameStop, Walmar, Amazon, and the trailers take their cut (huge), distributers take their cut, the music they licensed takes their cut (unless it was a fixed-price "flat" license), and then they just have to pay off the marketing costs and all those costs that accrued over the last five years.

VercettiGuy

As things get more expensive, making the money becomes easier. This game pretty much throws money at you.

Thats true. And even if you're having hard times trying to earn it at the beginning that will change quick.

Btw really like ur avatar, in rock we trust!

elfoam

GTA online was different to most games because it was bought knowing it wasnt finished or working yet but that it will be fixed. I bought it under those conditions (And I'm still waiting)

ash-274

Forgot to mention that I also believe shark cards to be the reason we didn't get the single player dlc we were promised. Remember 2014 when they announced it? Yeah still not here, due to the success of GTA online.

I don't think that's why, at least not the only reason.

GTA IV's BoGT and TLatD proved that players would be willing to buy a story mode "add-on" pack.

If they put together a new (shorter) story that takes place in the same Los Santos setting, people would pay $20 for that.

JON22

Doesn't affect me. Everyone else buys shark cards while I buy and eat crap. Thanks everyone else.

JohnGazman

Free updates. But when everything is expensive as hell, are they really free?

Oh dear. Another one of these threads.

OP; The update was free. Yes, sh*t's in-game expensive. But your IRL bank balance is not affected by acquiring the update. Therefore it was free.

Edited by JohnGazman

Sneakerhead.

Just get a modder if money is that hard to come by.

10 = Any rank you want and billions, when 10 for a shark card is only 1.2 mil IIRC

Mr_Zombly

This.

I see so many things in games that I just know are put in place to make people want/need microtransactions.

I think it will only get worst, I'll just try to see how long I can hold out against the microtransactions.

Fozzie

Honestly, I think the shark card bitching and whining ruined the Forums

MrHaynes1980

Just get a modder if money is that hard to come by.

10 = Any rank you want and billions, when 10 for a shark card is only 1.2 mil IIRC

Nope, I like to earn money and play legit. I personally think all modders and any modded account should be banned.

LTG_KARL

You don't have to buy shark cards. Money is really easy to make in this game if you do heists with friends or do the CEO crates with a Hydra. Its all really easy.

Because a new player has access to all of those

Crrooss

When GTA O started in 2013 the most expensive car was Zentorno ($700k). Right now there is plenty of expensive stuff (yachts, warehouses, offices, cars, Pegasus vehicles) and there is still only 8 mln for $60. I think Rockstar should add more money for $60 Shark Card - like a at least 50% more. $12m would be fine.

Edited by Crrooss

Mr_Zombly

When GTA O started in 2013 the most expensive car was Zentorno ($700k).

wat?

the zentorno wasn't in the game when it started, the adder was the most expensive for 1m.