3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Desert Raid vs. Trophy Truck

JRebbert512

Has anyone gotten a sense yet of which one of these two is faster? I've tried each of them once so far, the Trophy Truck first followed by the Desert Raid, on the same new track. I got a personal best with the Deseert Raid but it may have been because I already had some practice on the track with the other truck first.

I really can't decide which one to buy. Tested them both in creator and I really can't decide on which to buy. Which truck I should buy? And please, no 'Neither' replies.

• Like 1

I own both and fully modded and I believe that the Desert Raid is VERY slightly quick as I've dragged raced my friend in his fully tuned Trophy Truck and beat him by less than a length and it was the same result when we swapped vehicles. But really everything else I'd say it to preference, but I love them both.

Death Rains From Above

Both are great off-roaders. Overall performance for each one is pretty much identical to the other. With the Desert Raid having just a slight smidge of a top speed advantage.

Either way, they're both well worth the cash.

I might even buy another one of each just to have a Livery and Non-Livery version of each one. :D

I prefer the Desert Raid. It's way best at climbing and has the same power stats as the Trophy.

I'm curious to know how you came to know its best at climbing. Was it a side-by-side test with a friend? Did you try both in the same places?

Broughy1322 still has not posted a video comparing these two. He did the supers yesterday, the sports and muscle today, so I assume these will be coming soon. Now, I, not going to base my decision based solely on what he says. I think the Trophy Truck looks better. But if the Desert Raid is found to be significantly faster, AND if it's truly a better climber as well, then that would make it the most logical,choice.

I made a custom race just to test these vehicles which basically starts as road, then dirt roads, then dunes, and then some rock crawling/hill climbing.

The Raid does seem to be better at almost everything. Shame, as I love the look of the Truck.

Both seem to be almost equal, the Desert Raid however is the most disguisting looking vehicle in GTA V right now. So even if its a tad bit faster, there is no way i'm buying that 'thing' on my legit account. Tested both on my modded account and both seemed to be pretty much equal.

Edited by HeavyDuke

the Desert Raid however is the most disguisting looking vehicle in GTA V right now

The Annis ReRe-8b would like to show you what "ugly" actually means.

The Desert Raid looks like what it is. It's pretty awful without livery, but that's simply because the giant body panels are a sea of unmarred fiberglass without the stickers. The Annis (and the Progen to a lesser extent) are just f*cking atrotcious from nearly any angle.

I prefer the Desert Raid. It's way best at climbing and has the same power stats as the Trophy.

I'm curious to know how you came to know its best at climbing. Was it a side-by-side test with a friend? Did you try both in the same places?

Broughy1322 still has not posted a video comparing these two. He did the supers yesterday, the sports and muscle today, so I assume these will be coming soon. Now, I, not going to base my decision based solely on what he says. I think the Trophy Truck looks better. But if the Desert Raid is found to be significantly faster, AND if it's truly a better climber as well, then that would make it the most logical,choice.

My testing solely went by how each vehicle felt. Trophy is by far better looking and nearly identical in chassis aside from Desert being longer. I suppose the longer wheel base spans rocks better. In the case you want the best all-round offroader, I'd go for the Trophy, but I just liked the feel of a longer wheel base on the Desert.

For got to mention that my testing is all done on the north of Mt chilliad and the eastern coast of the map.

Edited by MagicalBasturd

Although I'll be interested to see what results Broughy1322 gets, I don't think his results will be particularly relevant since his test is on a street circuit. And what I think we all want to know is which one will be faster when there's off-roading involved.

I tried to do some testing in a normal (not stunt) race, but the few I tried, even when set to Offroad class, didn't have these new trucks available. So I went back to the stunt race Turbine, which seems to be the only race I know of where these trucks are available. I wanted to avoid the stunt race for testing because the gimmicks can sometimes interfere with getting a good lap.

Anyway, I did the race four times, in the order of Desert Raid, Trophy Truck, Desert Raid, Trophy Truck. I got better results both times using the Trophy Truck. But again, these results may not necessarily be fair, due to the gimmicks. Plus this race isn't really much of a test of the off-road ability of a vehicle.

So I think what we need is a good race created by someone that is specifically set to allow these trucks, and has a significant off-road portion, over all types of off-road terrain, including beaches, rocks, trails, mountains and hills, etc.

Broughy's video is out.

Thank you...

To sum up the video, the Desert Raid is very slightly quicker than the Trophy Truck, but he says both are so close that you'll get basically the same experience either way, so just pick the one you like best (his words, summarized).

Desert Raid: 1:07.201

Trophy Truck: 1:07.333

He goes on to point out that these two trucks would re-balance the Offroad racing class by being roughly on par with the Sanchez, which had previously dominated, were it not for the fact that the new BF400 re-demolishes Offroad racing with a time of 1:03.263.

Bear in mind his tests are on a road circuit and absolutely do not take into account offroad capabilities at all.

• 3 weeks later...
Rustyrabbit1510

As an avid offroader, I have both trucks fully customized and have raced both and trailed with both. I have created a race special for these trucks " Rabbits's LS Baja Rally I and II". Over all they are comparable, except for steep hill climbs and rock transfers. The trophy truck has a skid plate in front that makes transitions more difficult, and with a shorter wheel base it struggles a little to do the same climbs as the Raid. My recommendation is learn to love the look of the Desert Raid and offroad with ease.

As an avid offroader, I have both trucks fully customized and have raced both and trailed with both. I have created a race special for these trucks " Rabbits's LS Baja Rally I and II". Over all they are comparable, except for steep hill climbs and rock transfers. The trophy truck has a skid plate in front that makes transitions more difficult, and with a shorter wheel base it struggles a little to do the same climbs as the Raid. My recommendation is learn to love the look of the Desert Raid and offroad with ease.

They're so close in terms of lap time that it virtually doesn't matter. Pick the one you like.

I think Trophy Truck looks and sounds better.

I can watch Broughy1322's videos, too. And in fact, I have. But what track racing doesn't tell you is how good they are off-roading.

The trophy truck looks awesome, but the sound is intoxicating. The raid feels like driving the insurgent, large and bulky, but the sound isn't as sweet.The raid bounces less but the trophy seems to accelerate a lil quicker in the dirt. Raid climbs a lil better, where the trophy takes more finesse on the throttle to keep down the wheelspin (due to the extra torque and lighter body. You can easily knock off the raids body though for a sweet rock crawler look though by opening the hood and trunk and finding a low bridge to knock em off. I prefer the trophy offroading, its just funner. Especially if you like the sound of the franken.

They're so close in terms of lap time that it virtually doesn't matter. Pick the one you like.

I think Trophy Truck looks and sounds better.

I can watch Broughy1322's videos, too. And in fact, I have. But what track racing doesn't tell you is how good they are off-roading.

Again, virtually identical. Pick the one you think looks best. You will be happy with your purchase. It won't be a situation like when the Osiris buyers were left out to dry by T20 buyers a week later- the Raid and Trophy are so similar you're just not going to experience a situation in which any possible advantage makes a difference.