4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA IV Review (From a V era player)

bennagle109

bennagle109

*This is not a full game review as such, more of my opinion coming form GTA 5.

As the tittle suggests, the first GTA game I properly played was V- After playing through the story mode twice and spending what must be days maybe weeks of my life causing chaos in San Andreas, I thought about exploring older games from the series. And so I bought IV

Stepping off the ship as the games protagonist Niko Belic, I found my self in a whole new world far from Los Santos which I had came very familiar with. First thing I noticed (after the 8 year old meh graphics) was how different car handling was in the game making the first drive form the port to Romans Mansion an interesting ride. I kept messing up the camera angle using R3 and Romans Taxi looked a bit worse for ware upon arriving at the destination. As the game progressed I became fond of Niko as a protagonist, and I can recall on fond game memories- like first realising I could hang out with Packie! Though the abbreviation for Patrick here in Ireland would be Pat or Paddy, but whatever.

Of course the story line was very different, by mid game I went into each mission expecting a shootout of some description. Being a hitman was fun, meeting various different employers along the way. I don't want to go into the story mode too deeply but it gave me a great experience.

What I Liked:

The Subway System- unlike in V the subway cover far more of the map and runs frequently in BOTH directions. I used it a lot as a quick way of transport around the Liberty state area of the map.

The Internet- The in game internet had more on the in game companies such as burger shot etc. And the LC sightseeing page was an interesting read. Visiting my room before LI was also nice.

2 Strip Clubs

The Story Line| One well developed protagonist

Multiple Safe Houses in different areas of the Map.

Police who don't shoot at you for unrealistic reasons.

An Irish Family taking an in game role!

What I disliked:

Having to restart missions form the start- okay happens in other games but Having to pay medical fees and loosing armour and ammunition as well? I lost thousands trying some missions.

Non re- generating health-

Annoying Girl Friends and Friends in general- Having a shoot out here please don't annoy me.

Algonquin bridge traffic- the train is beneath you no need to cross lanes and wreck my car.

Wow, that's about all I disliked

Overall a would recommend, good storyline, good open world Experience!

8.5/10

Edited by dakkajet

MiamiViceCity1986

Welcome to the forum.:)

Great write up btw.

• Like 2

Nice. I can agree with pretty much all of that. And hey, didn't you ask about GTA IV just a few days ago? That was a fairly quick playthrough. Or does the time just fly so fast?

Note: if the friends annoy you, you can enable offline mode on the phone.

Also, now that you played IV, liked it and are familiar with the story, I very much recommend also getting EFLC. It expands the story in a way not many games do, and gives you 2 more protagonists. It's really best to play the 3 games in a row.

Also, if you haven't played RDR and Bully yet, check out those too. More R* greatness (Bully needs to be the PC version though).

BTW I'm in a similar situation. I'm playing SA now after being familiar with IV and V (and III and 2D a bit). Unfortunately SA doesn't hold up nearly as well as IV, RDR or Bully do. I plan to post a review as well afterwards.

• Like 3

SA doesn't hold up nearly as well as IV.

It holds up exceedingly well despite its age. I'd rather not go in details, here.

Good for you OP. I was also of the same opinion as you expressed when it first came out, but it just didn't hold up well like the first impression had it on me, and soon the novelty started to wear off. Hope you could continue to enjoy as much as you do now.

Btw, Mafia III seems promising and definitely the game to look forward to. It also features a protagonist, also a war veteran and plans to start a new life but by setting up his own criminal empire than become an errand boy for different criminal organizations like the protagonist in IV

• Like 1

JosephStalin

SA doesn't hold up nearly as well as IV.

It holds up exceedingly well despite its age. I'd rather not go in details, here.

Good for you OP. I was also of the same opinion as you expressed when it first came out, but it just didn't hold up well like the first impression had it on me, and soon the novelty started to wear off. Hope you could continue to enjoy as much as you do now.

Btw, Mafia III seems promising and definitely the game to look forward to. It also features a protagonist, also a war veteran and plans to start a new life but by setting up his own criminal empire than become an errand boy for different criminal organizations like the protagonist in IV

Why on earth do you keep comparing Mafia 3 (a 2016 current gen game) to IV ( a past gen 2008 game) at every possible moment ? :/

@dakkajet Glad you enjoyed the classic Grand Theft Auto IV. :cool:

Edited by FuckingYokel
  • Like 5

Well, as a curious gamer, I was just pointing out the similarities between both games that caught my attention, which sooner or later you will witness people after playing Mafia III when they start pointing out as well. I'm not saying something that is not common between both for any one to raise any objection either.

bennagle109

@RogerWho yeah I posted on the IV forum about a week ago asking about the game, I think TheOtherRyan gave me the review idea in that thread.

• Like 2

What I disliked:

Having to restart missions form the start- okay happens in other games but Having to pay medical fees and loosing armour and ammunition as well? I lost thousands trying some missions.

Filthy casual!

jk :p do not take seriously

• Like 3

Welcome to the forums, OP!

And yes, this game is quite hardcore for those players who used with the padding and excessive hand holding in V, and if you think losing weapons and restarting missions from the beggining is bad, you should take a look at the 3D era(there's not even a quick restart option!).

Additionally, you get better used with the driving physics by driving sh*ttier cars like Roman's taxi, then when you switch to a Comet you can drive it better.

Also keep in mind that the vehicles brakes in this game are much, MUCH more realistic, they don't stop the cars in split second and for those older cars there's no ABS, which makes the wheels lockup and you slide around.

TL;DR: Welcome to the forums, be more careful in missions(use cover a lot), drive sh*ttier cars and brake earlier.

Cheatz/Trickz

Fair assessment, especially from a guy playing it so late after its release and experiencing naturally improved games since. A few of your criticisms can be taken either way, like non-regenerating health and restarting missions from the beginning, I prefer that to V's system.

The Algonquin Bridge thing with the AI screwing up was annoying as phuck though so you're spot on there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

*This is not a full game review as such, more of my opinion coming form GTA 5.

As the tittle suggests, the first GTA game I properly played was V- After playing through the story mode twice and spending what must be days maybe weeks of my life causing chaos in San Andreas, I thought about exploring older games from the series. And so I bought IV

Stepping off the ship as the games protagonist Niko Belic, I found my self in a whole new world far from Los Santos which I had came very familiar with. First thing I noticed (after the 8 year old meh graphics) was how different car handling was in the game making the first drive form the port to Romans Mansion an interesting ride. I kept messing up the camera angle using R3 and Romans Taxi looked a bit worse for ware upon arriving at the destination. As the game progressed I became fond of Niko as a protagonist, and I can recall on fond game memories- like first realising I could hang out with Packie! Though the abbreviation for Patrick here in Ireland would be Pat or Paddy, but whatever.
Of course the story line was very different, by mid game I went into each mission expecting a shootout of some description. Being a hitman was fun, meeting various different employers along the way. I don't want to go into the story mode too deeply but it gave me a great experience.

What I Liked:

The Subway System- unlike in V the subway cover far more of the map and runs frequently in BOTH directions. I used it a lot as a quick way of transport around the Liberty state area of the map.

The Internet- The in game internet had more on the in game companies such as burger shot etc. And the LC sightseeing page was an interesting read. Visiting my room before LI was also nice.

2 Strip Clubs

The Story Line| One well developed protagonist

Multiple Safe Houses in different areas of the Map.

Police who don't shoot at you for unrealistic reasons.

An Irish Family taking an in game role!

What I disliked:

Annoying Girl Friends and Friends in general- Having a shoot out here please don't annoy me.

Algonquin bridge traffic- the train is beneath you no need to cross lanes and wreck my car.

Wow, that's about all I disliked

Overall a would recommend, good storyline, good open world Experience!

8.5/10

No offence or anything and I am well aware it is your second GTA game, but your reasons for disliking it are kind of hit or miss.
(Just want to tell OP why some of his points don't make sense from the perspective of someone who started in the 3D era)

What I disliked:

If you think this is annoying than if you decide to play any of the 2001-2006 games then you're gonna have a bad time.

Imo GTA IV was the last GTA that wasn't put together with casual players in mind, and more keeping to what it knows and remaining true to the series.
I do agree some missions are frustrating as all hell and yes, I myself have lost a lot of a decent amount of cash because of missions like Three Leaf Clover and The Snow Storm which are hard due to the odds it throws at you, but GTA has always been about throwing crazy sh*t at the player.

Losing your ammunition (it used to be your entire arsenal of weapon, by the way) and body armour is something people like myself and a lot of other players expect but for some things, like the fact you could even replay missions directly from your phone, and not losing your arsenal, was quite alien to me when I first picked up this game.

All in all it is understandable that this guy would have a hard time with IV due to the fact R* made GTA V as easy and casual as possible. And if someone were to ask me which GTA to start at after playing V, it definitely would not be IV.

Edited by BeauShow

ROCKSTAR MANIC

Oh, look another causal Gta V fan. :dozing: Good quick review BTW.