4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Will GTA 5 die after GTA 6 come out?

DERGaming

GamesBoy316

I don't think GTA V will die for a long time. If people are still playing San Andreas and GTA IV, people will still be playing GTA V.

As a PC player who enjoys modding games I don't think VI will have such an impact on players like me that they'll stop playing it entirely. A lot depends on how GTA VI is.

I hope this doesn't happen to GTA 5

It happen to every previous gta and any other older game

I mean it wont die completely, people will play it, every gta is somewhat unique that's why they still play SA or IV, but the number of players will slowly decrease as the time passes, it just the way it is, you cant do much about it.

It really depends on how you view the game; for me, GTA IV has a lot more replay value than V because of the city and mods that make it a lot of fun to come back to now and then, whereas V just feels superficial and boring after the main story, not to mention the so-so map. I believe that after the new Red Dead comes out eventually, GTA Online will slowly lose players who go to the new game instead, and new DLC/updates will probably dry up at that point, further increasing player drop. It happens to every online game eventually.

FriendlyFireOFF

Look at IV it's still going in it's 9th year. If they opt to keep GTAO on V only it will still be ticking over for some time.

PhillBellic

Depends on how strong the Modding Community is when VI comes out.

Totallycasual

I think that GTA 6 will be another city that's just added to the world that GTA 5 currently exists in, it wouldn't surprise me if we can take M, T and F to the new city via the airport, not for the story but just for exploring and random fun, we'll probably be able to take GTA 6's protagonist back to Los Santos. That's my hope at least.

CarlitoDorito

I'd think V would have map mods by the time VI comes out. The San Andreas ones are quite cool. So on PC probably not. That V redux would keep me playing for a while.

Hopefully by then rockstar understand that SP is also important.

It very well might. The story just isn't up to par with the older GTA's. The PC modding community is the only thing that I can see keeping the game fresh and alive.

DeGeneratorX

Well, when GTA IV came out, GTA San Andreas got stronger, with SAMP and myths on youtube. If GTA VI will be bad, GTA V won't die. Of course GTA Online will die, and a new online mod created by fans (FiveM or whatever) for GTA V will enter in action, making the game more fun as possible, like SAMP.

Implying anyone without mods still plays SP over Online..

ChiroVette

My short video for all of you whinging and bitching fractional minority of butthurt haters who have deluded yourselves into believing you speak for the GTA fanbase:

Fixed! ;)

Great video.

For the thread question, it depends on what you mean by "will GTA V die?"

If by dying you mean V will not continue to be as wildly popular and incredibly beloved as it is now (even three years after it launched) then yes, it will die. Provided that is your narrow definition of a game dying. However, as with ALL the great GTA games (III, VC, SA, VCS, and LCS) they may not be new and shiny, and yeah they totally show their age, but who would call them dead?

People are eating those games up on their iPads and Android phones and they are up to 15 years old!

Not only that, but many GTA fans still bust out those GTA classics now and again. I know I do.

V is an instant classic. Like VC, III, SA....it is and will remain beloved. Sure, when VI comes out, most "gamers" will migrate to that one. But the masses of GTA fans who love V will hold a special place in their heart just like they do for ALL the great GTA games.

Edited by ChiroVette
  • Like 2

The online might when GTA VI has a more updated GTAO attached to it. People will still play SP though - I know I've been itching to do a replay of GTA IV. The modding scene for V will die though, just like it did for GTA IV.

It sucks. After all these years III, VC, and SA still get mods. The tools keep getting better, people are putting out better and better things, etc. But just when IV's modding scene was picking up (because it took a while for the tools and such to come around) GTA V came out and focus shifted to that game. We still don't even have map mods for GTA V yet, and by the series' track record VI's announcement may be a year or two away.

The HD era games just aren't given enough time for their modding capabilities to flourish. Yeah the 3D era games are great, but so are the HD ones. Sadly the modding community doesn't think so and would rather spend their time on those games. It's full of people like Boris who said "GTA V will never be moddable" when it came out on PC.

I don't think GTA V will die for a long time. If people are still playing San Andreas and GTA IV, people will still be playing GTA V.

I still play San Andreas on the regular. Haven't touched IV in ages.

If VI finally delivers and lives up the to the HD-era's initial hype, and is set in Vice City, I'm sure it will definitely kill off V's remaining players as well as IV.

GTAV will die of natural causes long before GTA VI ever sees the light of day.

More realistically, there may never be a GTA VI. Maybe eventually, we will get a new map to rejuvenate GTA Online.

• Like 1

ChiroVette

I still play San Andreas on the regular. Haven't touched IV in ages.

If VI finally delivers and lives up the to the HD-era's initial hype, and is set in Vice City, I'm sure it will definitely kill off V's remaining players as well as IV.

Agreed that the Online portion will likely die when VI comes out, depending on the quality of its online, of course.

The thing about online is everyone ALWAYS wants to play the shiny, sparkly, newest iteration of a game. So in a sense, this discussion needs to be somewhat compartmentalized into online and SP. So, that said, when GTA VI comes out, because V's SP is such an incredible game, it will surely take its place alongside other classic GTA games (SA, VC, and III) and be endowed with the status of "old, but we still can't resist playing it now and again!"

Edited by ChiroVette

Whatever Rockstar does next with the GTA fanchise, we know it's gonna be so far out in the future, that Rockstar is gonna need a new Red Dead and a New Max Payne to fill in those years of emptiness and keep us placated, just like last time.