Serious GTA or Goofy GTA?

GTA POLL  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Serious or Goofy?

• Serious
    • Goofy
    • Something in the Middle

Mister Pinkerton

Racecarlock, you express valid points however..

I think by serious we just mean like keeping Lazlow on the radio and not in missions where you go to pick up your brat daughter from Fame or Shame. That was pretty goofy to me.

And I think you are equating seriousness with mundane and boring which is a bit unfair. I don't want to speak for others but when I picture serious, I picture Goodfellas. The situation is serious. They may joke and have banter in that serious situation and you can laugh from that but the overall tone is serious. The second definition of 'serious' under Google search is "acting or speaking sincerely and in earnest, rather than in a joking or half-hearted manner." And most of GTA V was the latter half of that sentence doused in horrible amounts of bitter-sarcasm dialogue and consistent attempts at humour which made it more buddy-cop/Beverly Hills movie than Goodfellas.

It's like those films or TV shows where they're so self-aware there's an audience watching that it never feels realistic in any way. It's delivered in that very unsubtle way like The Big Bang Theory than say something more dry. It's new Ghostbusters more so than original Ghostbusters. Rather than just moving you or making you laugh with a good story, GTA V wants to move you and to make you laugh and this is very apparent.

I don't mean to be so critical of V. I love it. I was super critical of IV but I think in hindsight the seriousness was a step in the right direction. Maybe the story could have been better in my eyes. I just don't think changing country and doing all those wild things to find that one person was plausible, nor did I really care for Nikos motivations, they happened before the game. I would have preferred if Niko have over with ideas for closure and vengeance and a more "noble" motivation but got caught up in a greedy lifestyle and got corrupted by the American dream, building his empire, murdering and killing etc. I think that's more plausible and excuses free-roam actions. Anyway, my point is that the seriousness was a step in the right direction but as a GTA features lacked,, rewards lacked andvariety lacked in terms of map and gameplay and that's a fact. As Houser put it; "a rags to slightly better rags" story/environment.

I'm looking for a serious story that's fun but the world is big and has variety. I'm looking for that big adventure is again with a single protag. While the story is serious it doesn't necessarily have to dictate the free-roam world to by forcing you only have mundane things to do.

When I play the story, I can easily bounce between me being in story mode free-roaming or me just goofing about for the lulz. The goofing about element should never dictate the story like some people think and vice versa. It's a video game and your free-roaming. There shouldn't be restrictions in free-roam because the "character wouldn't do it." Of course if the story is serious, doesn't mean the character has to go discuss politics with a friend bowling.

We can have multiple tiers of side missions. We can have our story-side missions that are all crime-related, drug-dealing, car-thiefing and exporting, burglary missions, store hold-ups, bank heists, drug smuggling and drug dealing missions and we can out GTA side-missions which are on the more fun, light hearted and not so character/story-centric missions which may include Destruction Derby, Fire-brigade Missions and various in-game mini-games like Downhill Biking

Story-side missions can relate to character and story and are mostly never-ending but require a minimum to complete 100% and offer perks. GTA side-missions offer fun, cash and minor perks, maybe clothes unlockables. GTA side-missions are for those wanting a bit of fun and aren't required for 100%. However clothes prizes or a unique spray paint unlockable in garage will encourage players to play.

This gives you goofy in a fun playable GTA world while those that seek a more serious, gritty experience get that from the story and story side-missions. You can completely avoid the goofy GTA side-missions if you like. It's kind of the way is used to be.

Also, id you don't have time to play GTA and you only have an hour, you could jump on and play GTA side-missions to unlock some unique clothes, maybe even goofier clothes. So those who like the goofy experience will have rewards for them. Those that like the more serious side-missions will have more serious-centric rewards. Win-win for everyone.

Edited by Mister Pink

Racecarlock

Racecarlock, you express valid points however..

I think by serious we just mean like keeping Lazlow on the radio and not in missions where you go to pick up your brat daughter from Fame or Shame. That was pretty goofy to me.

And I think you are equating seriousness with mundane and boring which is a bit unfair. I don't want to speak for others but when I picture serious, I picture Goodfellas. The situation is serious. They may joke and have banter in that serious situation and you can laugh from that but the overall tone is serious. The second definition of 'serious' under Google search is "acting or speaking sincerely and in earnest, rather than in a joking or half-hearted manner." And most of GTA V was the latter half of that sentence doused in horrible amounts of bitter-sarcasm dialogue and consistent attempts at humour which made it more buddy-cop/Beverly Hills movie than Goodfellas.

It's like those films or TV shows where they're so self-aware there's an audience watching that it never feels realistic in any way. It's delivered in that very unsubtle way like The Big Bang Theory than say something more dry. It's new Ghostbusters more so than original Ghostbusters. Rather than just moving you or making you laugh with a good story, GTA V wants to move you and to make you laugh and this is very apparent.

I don't mean to be so critical of V. I love it. I was super critical of IV but I think in hindsight the seriousness was a step in the right direction. Maybe the story could have been better in my eyes. I just don't think changing country and doing all those wild things to find that one person was plausible, nor did I really care for Nikos motivations, they happened before the game. I would have preferred if Niko have over with ideas for closure and vengeance and a more "noble" motivation but got caught up in a greedy lifestyle and got corrupted by the American dream, building his empire, murdering and killing etc. I think that's more plausible and excuses free-roam actions. Anyway, my point is that the seriousness was a step in the right direction but as a GTA features lacked,, rewards lacked andvariety lacked in terms of map and gameplay and that's a fact. As Houser put it; "a rags to slightly better rags" story/environment.

I'm looking for a serious story that's fun but the world is big and has variety. I'm looking for that big adventure is again with a single protag. While the story is serious it doesn't necessarily have to dictate the free-roam world to by forcing you only have mundane things to do.

When I play the story, I can easily bounce between me being in story mode free-roaming or me just goofing about for the lulz. The goofing about element should never dictate the story like some people think and vice versa. It's a video game and your free-roaming. There shouldn't be restrictions in free-roam because the "character wouldn't do it." Of course if the story is serious, doesn't mean the character has to go discuss politics with a friend bowling.

We can have multiple tiers of side missions. We can have our story-side missions that are all crime-related, drug-dealing, car-thiefing and exporting, burglary missions, store hold-ups, bank heists, drug smuggling and drug dealing missions and we can out GTA side-missions which are on the more fun, light hearted and not so character/story-centric missions which may include Destruction Derby, Fire-brigade Missions and various in-game mini-games like Downhill Biking

Story-side missions can relate to character and story and are mostly never-ending but require a minimum to complete 100% and offer perks. GTA side-missions offer fun, cash and minor perks, maybe clothes unlockables. GTA side-missions are for those wanting a bit of fun and aren't required for 100%. However clothes prizes or a unique spray paint unlockable in garage will encourage players to play.

This gives you goofy in a fun playable GTA world while those that seek a more serious, gritty experience get that from the story and story side-missions. You can completely avoid the goofy GTA side-missions if you like. It's kind of the way is used to be.

Also, id you don't have time to play GTA and you only have an hour, you could jump on and play GTA side-missions to unlock some unique clothes, maybe even goofier clothes. So those who like the goofy experience will have rewards for them. Those that like the more serious side-missions will have more serious-centric rewards. Win-win for everyone.

That actually makes a lot of sense. While I'm here, though...

There shouldn't be restrictions in free-roam because the "character wouldn't do it."

(Glares at assassin's creed series)

Jabalous

Rockstar attempted to take GTA to a new path with IV, so they decided to make a story that imposes restrictions on gameplay to a certain degree and to follow a more mature direction with less unnecessary humor and over-the-top missions. During the days leading to its release, I remember Dan Houser answering a question in an interview about the removed San Andreas features and whether it will be possible to ride a bicycle. He literally said that it doesn't fit Niko's personality to be able to ride a bicycle. Even in other various interviews before the announcement of V, he was pushing the idea of creating stories and characters with depth so that they match the increased fidelity in graphics, animations and physics and thus the overall experience must feel consistent.

Seeing how V turned out indicates that he's not pushing toward this direction anymore as the game doesn't show any evidence of evolved story or characters that feel consistent with the almost photorealistic-looking world. They took the humor from the in-game's media and mixed it up with the main story, which then led to the creation of mindless and unnecessary events. A lot of examples from V, but what was the point of Lazlow physically showing up and getting involved in completely meaningless missions? that was an example of how GTA's radio humor, when mixed up with the story, creates a goofy experience.

pulpfriction

Something in the middle would be preferable.

RogerWho

I've been reading some of the comments and I have this feeling:

- People who want goofy or 'in the middle' are those who care about the gameplay first or are invested in GTA-style gameplay. Since GTA gameplay is wacky batsh*t insane by design, a serious story and dramatic cutscenes create a dissonance.

- People who want serious are those who care about the story first. And well-done crime stories tend to be serious. The gameplay is of course important, but it can work separately from the story.

Amiright?

In contrast, say RDR or LA Noire don't have as much crazy elements in the gameplay so their serious storylines are generally received better.

My take on the whole issue is that I don't mind when a serious story is combined with wacky gameplay. If anything, the opposite creates a dissonance for me (e.g. the Uncharted series where you kill 100 guys and make snarky quips about it).

I mean, our real world is completely insane too. Just look at high politics or how investing works. That sh*t is so bonkers it boggles the mind, easily rivalling the craziest stuff games come up with. And yet, we still have to think of our daily lives and do the serious stuff, don't we? Just because we have a clown for president or literal fist fights break out in the parliament doesn't mean I need to stop thinking how to pay my rent. If anything, mixed games like GTA IV are a fine allegory for that.

Edited by RogerWho

Osho

People have made it absolutely clear that the developers should avoid making the game either too serious or too over the top.

IV and V are the best examples here, while Vice city and SA are the best examples of well balanced approach that manages to avoid the shameless desire like IV in keeping the writing or overall treatment to one-tonal story/gameplay extremes, simple as that.

Easy to understand. Especially if you have -replayed the said GTAs and understood the treatment by the developers.

R* should go back to their original 3D era approach by focusing on creating a details world with interesting gameplay and think about a story to grow from them, making sure that the story doesn't hinder the gameplay which should offer maximum freedom and choices, regardless of serious / goofy.

If you search for the classics popular over the years that combine multiple genres into one then they offer little to no impressive story, but they are still fun to play to this day for many players over the big budget modern garbage games they offer high production value limited to endless boring cut scenes like IV and a little to no interesting stuff outside the story with repetitive gameplay, no matter how great story is.

I play GTA for both story and gameplay, with the latter being the main draw.

I'd rather pick a different genre if I want to suck myself into a story driven experience, or even better pick and read a book or watch a classic movie than torture myself with a half-assed, nonsensical stupid drama like IV in the name of "Oscar worthy Story" that barely has any story to begin with, yet sacrifices so much to accomplish one goal that the developers barely make up for really bad gameplay connected with the story.

Excellent gameplay can make up for an almost decent story (e.g. GTA SA). It doesn't need to be Oscar worthy, for christs sake...

There're many things that make the story in video games interesting, not just writing. It includes missions, characters, interactions, choices, etc which many veteran developers of the old games like Deus Ex 1, Baldur's gate, and many more games have left a classic impression that's still unsurpassed, unrivaled for many.

So, of course I would love to have a good story regardless of being a serious or goofy, but well balanced with something in the middle without being extreme for the most part.

Racecarlock

If I'm being perfectly honest, I actually liked GTA IV's story. It was the complete lack of over the top sh*t to do after it that bugged me so much about it. Where were the tanks until the DLC? Where were the parachutes until the DLC? The best vehicle I could rampage with in vanilla GTA IV was a fire truck, which I know is heavy but fast because of burnout 3. And I know that mission replay was a saint's row thing, but still, GTA IV could have given it a go. I mean, don't some of you guys want to replay your favorite mission without starting a whole new game?

So, really, the story can be as dark and serious as it wants to be. I'm fine with that. Just give me planes, tanks, parachutes, lots of fun weapons, and lots of fun vehicles and we'll be cool. Don't take out planes because the map is too small (Who designed the map to be small, by the way?), don't remove tanks because I don't even know why, and don't take out parachutes. You don't need to work all of that sh*t into the story, just give me some wacky sh*t to mess around with, and you can base the missions on Sarah Mclachlan animal shelter commercials for all I care.

Osho

Parachutes, tank, and several other missing content from IV were reserved for selling DLC that actually makes no sense and feels wrong on developers part. I mean Niko can't do / drive [ insert ] justification doesn¡¯t mean you make the content entirely for only specific protagonists to use despite the fact that all stories are set in the same City, so how can [ insert ] magically disappears from LC during the play through of IV which the players were able to access in either TLAD / TBOGT?

Its stupid and absolutely wrong.

Its not only the content even the main story of IV feels a total mess. I can't really fathom how come many people overlook when it comes to the IVs story which feels like a compilation of side missions for several characters that drop out of nowhere and never to be seen later, because they are killed by Niko, AND - certain characters are introduced that can't be quickly killed off but used as plot device for the DLC just so you could buy TLAD / TBOGT.

Ray Bulgarin is the perfect example which I was scratching my head the entire time during the first play through as to who's the villain in the game, either him, Dimitri, Pegorino or other characters that make a short appearance to give Niko errand jobs only to get killed in the hands of Niko later. I don't really get what made the reviewers label this mess of a nonsense in the name of story as Oscar worthy.

The game absolutely failed to establish a proper villain because it spends more time in introducing random and pointless characters for the DLC and setting the diamond arc leaving Niko and his story on the backburner ( post Vlad death ) instead of spending more time on developing characters like Darko, Roman and Dmitri ( as a villain ) who drops just to tease Niko and disappears just to tease again after a couple of missions later. Instead they shoehorned Pegorino as the villain from nowhere in the last minute who is neither relevant nor makes sense for Niko to become his bitch. Don't get me started on Kate being shoehorned as the option for the ending to pick. God, that's stupid beyond belief.

Basically, majority of the middle portion is more important from DLC standpoint than in terms of Niko storyline which presents so much lost potential.

And the amount of sacrifices in terms of gameplay, content and features is another disaster.

Seriously, IVs story is horribly executed and lacks a cohesive, consistent narrative that makes any sense, whatsoever. You have ULP a girlfriend who turns out to be an agent and screws Niko over including majority of the characters that are actually enjoying the American Dream and treat Niko simply like an errand boy who readily works for them if you throw some money at him, even when he doesn't need any money.

In fact, I was able to make a lot of money by simply bringing in any vehicle to Stevie alone, so there's really no need for him to run errands nor keep whining about money. Even Roman makes a lot of money, upgrades the taxis and buys a penthouse in Algonquin telling Niko that they are finally going to live the American Dream..like wtf? LOL!

Niko still remains an errand boy throughout whining, and complaining without any change in him from the start right till the end.

Oh and keep continue to run errand jobs just for finding that special someone also sounds absurd. Killing countless people and wiping out almost half of Liberty City to locate one traitor is the most stupid justification for him to do. The Contact tells Niko that, in repayment for his cooperation, he will find the man for him and the Contact ends up keeping that promise towards the end of the game, too. So really, Niko could've avoided running errands for strangers. The Contact even advises Niko about the same thing as well in an email - "A word to the wise, the people you are consorting with in Alderney are fools and they are not to be trusted"

But Niko doesn't care and the developers force the player to slog through pointless errands for the major part of the story simply to establish and introduce the characters for the DLC which is why the EFLC stories are well executed and feel cohesive over total mess and absolute nonsensical story of IV.

Journey_95

People have made it absolutely clear that the developers should avoid making the game either too serious or too over the top.

IV and V are the best examples here, while Vice city and SA are the best examples of well balanced approach that manages to avoid the shameless desire like IV in keeping the writing or overall treatment to one-tonal story/gameplay extremes, simple as that.

Easy to understand. Especially if you have -replayed the said GTAs and understood the treatment by the developers.

R* should go back to their original 3D era approach by focusing on creating a details world with interesting gameplay and think about a story to grow from them, making sure that the story doesn't hinder the gameplay which should offer maximum freedom and choices, regardless of serious / goofy.

If you search for the classics popular over the years that combine multiple genres into one then they offer little to no impressive story, but they are still fun to play to this day for many players over the big budget modern garbage games they offer high production value limited to endless boring cut scenes like IV and a little to no interesting stuff outside the story with repetitive gameplay, no matter how great story is.

I play GTA for both story and gameplay, with the latter being the main draw.

I'd rather pick a different genre if I want to suck myself into a story driven experience, or even better pick and read a book or watch a classic movie than torture myself with a half-assed, nonsensical stupid drama like IV in the name of "Oscar worthy Story" that barely has any story to begin with, yet sacrifices so much to accomplish one goal that the developers barely make up for really bad gameplay connected with the story.

Excellent gameplay can make up for an almost decent story (e.g. GTA SA). It doesn't need to be Oscar worthy, for christs sake...

There're many things that make the story in video games interesting, not just writing. It includes missions, characters, interactions, choices, etc which many veteran developers of the old games like Deus Ex 1, Baldur's gate, and many more games have left a classic impression that's still unsurpassed, unrivaled for many.

So, of course I would love to have a good story regardless of being a serious or goofy, but well balanced with something in the middle without being extreme for the most part.

Yeah SA certainly wasn't too goofy or over the top...lol.

Also the same old bullsh*t argument from old school gamers (most are annoying). " Go read a book or watch a movie"- how about f*cking no? Games provide a completely different experience than them because of the combination with gameplay & strong story and characters. Its much more immersive.

And lmao at you continuing with your sick obsession with GTA IV, just wow. Seek some help.

Edited by Journey_95

How To Get Away with M

I definately would prefer the in the middle mix, that was Grand Theft Auto V, in my opinion.

The Story was pretty dark if you thought about it actualy, betrayal, corruption, torture, though the game mixed it with some well placed satire and generally good dialouge writing.

I still think nothing tops the "Hipster dialouge" between Michael and Trevor.

Or absolutely incredible story telling when Trevor tells his background story in a form of a fairy tail to wade.

I think GTA V knows when to be serious and when not to, with only a few missplaced moments.

How To Get Away with M

I've been reading some of the comments and I have this feeling:

- People who want goofy or 'in the middle' are those who care about the gameplay first or are invested in GTA-style gameplay. Since GTA gameplay is wacky batsh*t insane by design, a serious story and dramatic cutscenes create a dissonance.

- People who want serious are those who care about the story first. And well-done crime stories tend to be serious. The gameplay is of course important, but it can work separately from the story.

Amiright?

In contrast, say RDR or LA Noire don't have as much crazy elements in the gameplay so their serious storylines are generally received better.

My take on the whole issue is that I don't mind when a serious story is combined with wacky gameplay. If anything, the opposite creates a dissonance for me (e.g. the Uncharted series where you kill 100 guys and make snarky quips about it).

I mean, our real world is completely insane too. Just look at high politics or how investing works. That sh*t is so bonkers it boggles the mind, easily rivalling the craziest stuff games come up with. And yet, we still have to think of our daily lives and do the serious stuff, don't we? Just because we have a clown for president or literal fist fights break out in the parliament doesn't mean I need to stop thinking how to pay my rent. If anything, mixed games like GTA IV are a fine allegory for that.

Well I care about the Story as well when wanting a middle ground.

I just think GTA Vs satirical view on the world undermined by humour is the perfect fit for a GTA game.

I wouldn't call GTA Vs story "goofy" either, if you realy think about it it is pretty dark under the surface revealing drug abuse, torture, government corruption, betrayal, murder, racial segregation and discrimination, the real nature of the so called american dream, how hard working people get nothing and not working people get everything(Franklin and Jimmy dialouge etc.

It all manages to wrap that dark stuff into a humorous story and dialouge to create distance and satire.

For the next GTA I hope the storytelling is similar to GTA V with maybe a bit more direction towards serious.

RogerWho

Yes, the underlying GTA V's story is dark but it's all told in a very joking manner.

Take the torture scene for example... It's just surrounded by jokes. Trevor and that FIB guy constantly make fun of the situation and afterwards when T drops the dude off at the airport, it's also for laughs. Or the scene in North Yankton where M and T confront each other, that was good drama potential there, and killed by what essentially are gay jokes. Michael's family could provide good drama but they are all just parodies. Same for the people around Frank. Etc. That's what people refer to when they say how ridiculous GTA V story is. It doesn't want to be serious and makes it clear every step of the way.

On the other hand IV still had all the parody and satire in the background, but if there was a scene of betrayal or murder or something, there wasn't anything humorous in that same scene. (There are exceptions but not many.) Even SA was like that in a way, serious missions were kept serious, the crazy ones were kept crazy, they didn't mix into a soup.

Not saying your point of view is wrong or anything... Just explaining mine.

Edited by RogerWho

LadyLosSantos

I think a good middle ground can be found some missions can be funny while some can be serious. A good mix of both is very important you don't want it to be so goofy that it goes into Saints Row territory but you don't want it to be too depressing and sad that the game isn't fun to play either. Basically a good balance of both mission types would be nice.

ProKiller93

I want a serious story, but I have nothing against some jokes outside of it.

Absolut

There is too little humor even in GTA V to my liking, but it's just the right sort of. Dry, not so in your face. But goofy was a bit much of a definition, so I went with something in the middle.

Lioshenka

Goofy, like the original SA.

4 was an utter rubbish, trying to hard to be serious, and failing to do so. GTA 5 had way more fun and exciting missions, but not enough. Less realism, I say. If you want realism you've got Mafia.

Edited by ˸øåíüêà

Queen Elizabeth II
4 was an utter rubbish, trying to hard to be serious

Wow... But have you ever played it? "Trying too hard"? What do you mean, by that? Because GTA IV is not "trying too hard" - it actually shows aspects of a real life, how war and war crimes can destroy one's life forever, it wants you to see that seeking for a revenge is not really worth it and that childhood is most important part of your life because it has impact on your whole life (for example Kate's life). How is that bad?

And GTA IV is not only serious - it is also really funny. Go and watch some cutscenes for example with Vlad or Roman, some of them are really hillarious. GTA IV is perfect - funny yet dramatic. Maybe humor in this game is not for everyone?

I guess that you must play this game in a very specific way to understand that - when you play storyline meet with friends, with Michelle and Kate - do missions in the most realistic way possible. Then you will see that this game is a masterpiece. You shall never call it "rubbish".

On the other hand IV still had all the parody and satire in the background, but if there was a scene of betrayal or murder or something, there wasn't anything humorous in that same scene. (There are exceptions but not many.) Even SA was like that in a way, serious missions were kept serious, the crazy ones were kept crazy, they didn't mix into a soup.

And that's how it supposed to be.

Edited by Queen Elizabeth II

Lioshenka

4 was an utter rubbish, trying to hard to be serious

Wow... But have you ever played it? "Trying too hard"? What do you mean, by that? Because GTA IV is not "trying too hard" - it actually shows aspects of a real life, how war and war crimes can destroy one's life forever, it wants you to see that seeking for a revenge is not really worth it and that childhood is most important part of your life because it has impact on your whole life (for example Kate's life). How is that bad?

I meant in a different way. R* added all these features, like people with brushes and umbrellas, slow climbing up the stairs, heavy security in the UN building - but on another hand people brush lawn, umbrellas fall through the ground and areas like UN building are a complete waste of space because you can't really go there without a whole bloody army being after you. In other words, they tried to portray GTA 4 as a super realistic GTA ever, and yet failed to focus on some very basic things (the ones above just what I remembered, haven't played the game in years, so don't remember).

And GTA IV is not only serious - it is also really funny. Go and watch some cutscenes for example with Vlad or Roman, some of them are really hillarious. GTA IV is perfect - funny yet dramatic. Maybe humor in this game is not for everyone?

I did smile a few times at the dialogues, yes, but it's nowhere near as SA for example - "Does the Pope sh*t in the woods?" or the whole OG Loc missinos and scripts.

I guess that you must play this game in a very specific way to understand that - when you play storyline meet with friends, with Michelle and Kate - do missions in the most realistic way possible.

I suppose. But for me this way of playing was a total alien concept for a GTA.

Official General

@ ˸øåíüêà

It's your opinion, but I think your claims that IV "tried too hard to be serious" are way off the mark and greatly exaggerated. IV was as serious as it needed to be. While IV certainly had a very realistic approach to its character, in actuality, it was no more realistic than any other GTA game in the series with regards to its core aspects of gameplay, theme, and content (with the exception of V). The only thing that IV went extra realistic for was Niko's dark, pessimistic, depressing personality and outlook on life. Dating already existed in SA, before IV. The friendship system, is simply just an expanded feature of social activities in GTA added onto dating. Other than that, everything else was typical GTA fodder - a hired hitman and career criminal that deals with various organised crime groups and gangs, and one that takes on a variety of criminal tasks in missions from assassinations/hits, drug deliveries, theft, auto theft to heists etc. What was extra serious about that ? It's typical of what you see in all GTA games. I just don't see what you're getting at, you're not making sense bro. If you simply didn't like the more serious tone to IV then that's fine, just say so, but don't just make up inaccurate claims about the game because it suits your opinion of it.

IV had many funny moments in and outside of the main story. I personally think it had the right balance of how much humour, parody and satire it had emphasised on. V was just too much for me.

Edited by Official General

Vanzant

I'm with those who want to meet in the middle. This is something that is tough for RockStar to do. The GTA fan base seems divided into various categories. Therefore no matter what is decided, you will not please everyone.

PhillBellic

I'm with those who want to meet in the middle. This is something that is tough for RockStar to do. The GTA fan base seems divided into various categories. Therefore no matter what is decided, you will not please everyone.

It's a classic case of 'You're Damned if you do, You're Damned if you don't.'

Do you think that having more Gameplay Options in the Menus would help bridge that divide?

Crossbones

A serious, dark GTA just like IV.

Lock n' Stock

Story-wise, I feel Vice CIty was always the best when it came to providing a serious story with humorous overtones. GTA V TRIED to do this, but there was so much mood whiplash throughout that the entire tone just ended up being all over the place. Not even TBOGT was as bad in this regard. Sure it gave us a much more light-hearted side in comparison to GTA IV and TLAD, but it did have some f*cking disturbing moments when it needed to (like Luis discovering a severed head).

Serious serious serious serious serious.

Charlottes

I'd like it to be somewhere in the middle like, I'd like to see them figure out how to mesh the goofiness with the serious stuff, because they REALLY haven't done that at all so far

I think i've said this before but the goofiness in GTA:san andreas and chinatown wars works better thanks to the game's artstyles, versus in IV and V the dumb goofy jokes feel so weird against the realistic aesthetic that they go for

there's a balance to be struck here but i dont think rockstar knows how to strike it yet

Lioshenka

@ ˸øåíüêà

I just don't see what you're getting at, you're not making sense bro. If you simply didn't like the more serious tone to IV then that's fine, just say so, but don't just make up inaccurate claims about the game because it suits your opinion of it.

I explained clearly what I mean with the examples in my post just above yours. R* tried too hard to make GTA 4 realistic, and failed; ending up with a game that is neither realistic nor fun.

Tao Cheng

Grand Theft Row VI. No seriousness and more goofiness plz!

Official General

@ ˸øåíüêà

I just don't see what you're getting at, you're not making sense bro. If you simply didn't like the more serious tone to IV then that's fine, just say so, but don't just make up inaccurate claims about the game because it suits your opinion of it.

I explained clearly what I mean with the examples in my post just above yours. R* tried too hard to make GTA 4 realistic, and failed; ending up with a game that is neither realistic nor fun.

I disagree....IV was as realistic as it needed to be, but if you think otherwise then fine.

Yinepi

I'd prefer neither serious nor goofy. I'd prefer a GTA game that is grounded and focused, but can still have some wacky fun moments both outside the story and during it. Something like GTAIII or VC would work where there is a serious tone, but overall still had wacky game play elements (such as rampages and ambulance missions) that didn't appear in IV.

The secret to success in a both game is all about timing and context. GTAV was inconsistent where one moment it was trying too hard to be serious and then next too hard to be goofy without much context in between. You just get drastically bounced back between the two instead of gradually progressing between them.

Edited by Yinepi

FFTLaté

I like the universe being funny, but I want the story to be solid and serious. GTA 5 was too goofy, too hard to believe in. Hard to care and understand characters in such setting.