Serious GTA or Goofy GTA?

GTA POLL  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Serious or Goofy?

• Serious
    • Goofy
    • Something in the Middle

The7thOne

Serious. V's reveal trailer had a good thing going for it, but the final game was just too wacky and all over the place. I'd much prefer something similar to IV, or at least IV, but with that V 2011 trailer vibe.

Femme Fatale

Serious like IV, no kiddie stuff like V...

ThirstyHyena

I would like it to be serious with a few goofy characters & missions in between. I felt like none of the protagonists in V really had their sh*t in place. Michael with the family issues, Trevor who's just drug-fueled insane & Franklin who's a bit immature & naive. I would like for the next GTA protagonist to go more in route of Niko or Tommy, a badass who's intelligent but doesn't have family issues or a meth addiction.

The radio stations & advertisments should stick with the old R* humor, no doubt about it.

Cao Ang

Goofy. Otherwise only 30% of the player-base will complete the campaign, just like IV.

TheDamnTrainCJ

Remember when Saints Row used to copy off Grand Theft Auto and not the other way around?

cp1dell

Goofy. Otherwise only 30% of the player-base will complete the campaign, just like IV.

Pretty sure what Rockstar took from this was the GTA IV was too long and/or the missions were too basic.

That's why with V we had more varied and over the top missions, and the story was shorter. I'm including over the top missions being the reason because GTA SA was just as long if I remember, the difference being the missions were more varied and entertaining.

DERGaming

At times it would be seious and other times it would be kind of goofy

Much like IV was it was serious but it was also funny

At times

Fuzzknuckles

Serious like IV, no kiddie stuff like V...

Kiddie stuff?

Care to elaborate?

--

Personally I want something down the middle. I don't want a game so serious that it's a chore to play (TLAD) but I don't want a game that's so wacky it feels like it's designed for an audience that's too young to play it (SA). IV was too bleak and depressing at points, V was much closer to what I want, but was let down by some fairly poor character decisions that ultimately influenced the story in a negative way.

inb4someonetellsmeithinkvisperfectandflawless

PhillBellic

I'd rather see something in the middle like IV or Vice City, but dark like TLAD or III is not my thing at all.

But how can you call yourself Midnight Hitman if you don't like it "dark"?

MH is a phony! A big fat phony!

:D

Official General

Except GTA V didn't know when to be wacky or serious. The whole game was a mess and the story was awful, I can hardly believe the same people who wrote that also wrote the masterpiece that was IV.

Same here. I'm still perplexed as to how Rockstar are the guys behind V's abysmal, boring story, messy theme, and flawed characters.

I'd rather a GTA be more serious to be honest, pretty much like how IV was. Not completely serious, but mostly serious, with the goofy stuff restricted to mainly peripheral in-game content like tv shows, radio, advertisements, products, and every now and then in the character dialogue.

I'd be happy with a IV-like balance, but not too depressing. That's my ideal scenario.

Edited by Official General

Cheatz/Trickz

Basically, the comedy should just be genuine. Roid heads like Brucie and junkies like Packie are everywhere. I've seen countless Roman clones in clubs before all thinking they're amazing so the comedy from them is real.

Trevor? Nobody like him exists. Ron? Wade? Floyd? They're bad jokes. It's good to stereotype, but push it too far and it becomes a parody of itself like Michael and his family. And his therapist, that sh*t just wouldn't happen, so it's not funny. Don't get me started on the strangers and freaks.

Edited by Cheatz_N_Trickz

TheHumanIsland

I know someone like Trevor. I know someone like Ron. I know someone like Wade. I know someone like Floyd. No bs.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

i want something in between...

like a quinten tarantino movie, but with less gore and more comedy

GTA is kinda meant to be a mockery of real life...i feel it is suposed to be fun, but still make you think

needs more satire then gta5 contained though....and brought in a better manner.

the satire in gta5 was there, but they trow it in youre face to much and act to ridiculous around it.

it was kinda like a teenager attempted satire, it just ended up not being funny by trying to be funny

heck, i have known cynical 16 year olds that can do better then that :)

Basically, the comedy should just be genuine. Roid heads like Brucie and junkies like Packie are everywhere. I've seen countless Roman clones in clubs before all thinking they're amazing so the comedy from them is real.

Trevor? Nobody like him exists. Ron? Wade? Floyd? They're bad jokes. It's good to stereotype, but push it too far and it becomes a parody of itself like Michael and his family. And his therapist, that sh*t just wouldn't happen, so it's not funny. Don't get me started on the strangers and freaks.

some strangers and freaks start of decently...or more like, they have a nice middle, but it always starts and ends strange.

also the strangers and freaks mission were michael is diving to help that women that killed here husband is not that bad

Edited by goldadderXD

--Vega--

Something in the middle

IV was way too serious, then V was way too goofy/borderline corny. IV was like watching a depressing B-movie and V was like watching a modern day 'producers in it for the money only' movie made with very little effort on story and plot.

San Andreas really nailed the fine line between serious and at the same time being funny, & to a lesser extent, Vice City.

Mike R.L.

In the middle, with an emphasis on goofy. I would even like the graphics to be less realistic again. (not less good, but less real) I miss the old days. I guess, I think they can return. GTA kinda needs it. The world we live in now is far too serious for a serious GTA.

Cousinroman

...am i the only one who enjoyed gta v's weird comedic theme...and trevor...well trevor is the character i almost never use...buti regret it...i just replayed it and i had way more fun playing mostly with trevor

O.Z

GTA IV had the right balance IMO. Wasn't so serious to be on a The Last Of Us/Heavy Rain kind of level, but light hearted enough without being as obnoxious and stupid as the Saints Row series.

I would love to see another GTA like that again.

Unfortunately you won't

jdaniel21

i really wish some lost MC members from liberty city would hunt down trevor and beat him with crowbars and then crucify him for what he did to johnny... :(

Adecool

DARK. memorable stories are stories that can be taken seriously. GTA5's story was trash which is why it feels so empty and soul-less. This is also the reason saints row fans love the first two games and hate the rest, because there was an actual compelling soryline going on until they f*cked it up and introduced aliens and super heroes.

Maibatsu545

I'd like something a bit more serious. GTAV was rediculously silly. Silly does not have to mean dark or brooding either. Vice City had a somewhat serious plot, yet remained bright and colorful.

I don't mind a bit of joking around, but GTAV took the jokeyness too far. It's a fine line to tread. Again, don't get me wrong. A little levity is fine, but jokes all over the place just makes it feel corny. Let me use some trailers to illustrate my point:

Take a look at this Mafia 3 trailer. Forget about the actual game for a second, just the tone of the trailer. In my eyes it's fantastic. Really good in terms of feeling like a Scorcese or other sort of gritty crime film. I don't know if M3 is actually going to be good or not, I'm not making any claims about that. But I love this trailer. It sets up the setting, time period, and mood perfectly.

Now compare that to this:

https://youtu.be/Vzue74y7A84

This trailer is awful, just awful. Terrible song choice (and Im a huge stevie wonder fan, it's just not a great fit here), and it's just. so. corny. It starts out okay, showing the city, but then the stuff with michaels family is annoying, not funny. Just irritating. Like...the FIRST bit of dialouge you're gonna introduce us to is an annoying argument between two annoying characters? What the f*ck! All of the characters look goofy and stupid. Not to mention the sound byte literally taken from Goldeneye64 at :25. Just comes off as so cheap. Feels like a tv show, not a movie. all of the cinematic-ness and mysteriousness of a game like say, GTAIII, is absent here. Just a big, goofy mess.

R* seems to only deal in extremes. GTAIV was overly-dark and brooding. GTAV was silly and goofy to the point of being rediculous and annoying. They need to find a nice middleground and go with that.

Edited by Maibatsu545

Osho

As replied to similar thread:-

It really doesn't matter to me whether serious GTA or not. Its the whole package that should feel really good to play. Rockstar should simply avoid making the next GTA wayy too much of either serious or goofy.

I prefer GTA SA like wilder, but engrossing, thoughtful and funny story. I don't want to experience some "gritty realism and serious" storyline like IV or RDR, it just bored the hell out of me.

Furthermore, the gameplay connected with these boring and serious storylines were literally like playing a delivery/errand boy for the most part.

Cutscenes might be good, but the gameplay was sh*t.

I enjoy GTA when its really stuffed with an interesting gameplay entranced by a storyline that sucks you into doing a lot more than just being an errand boy, like giving more freedom and choices so that you can have a lot more to experience that you can accomplish with your protagonist than just shooting throughout a significant part of the story.

This is why well balanced storyline of GTA SA with tons of surprises and addictive crime adventure is what Rockstar should strive to replicate the experience with future titles with different characters and variety of narrative possibilities that explores various crimes fitting for a modern day GTA than 'feeeeeeel baad fer mee' type of story with a whiny emo character that is simply a waste of time. It doesn't make me feel like I'm playing GTA at all.

Mister Pinkerton

I totally agree with Maibatsu and how he eloquently put it.

IV wouldn't have divided so many fans if there was variety to the map, missions and more features like SA or V. I don't think it's IV's seriousness so much that was the problem but the fact there was not much to do outside the story and not much reward for completing things.

Most of SA's story was pretty serious but there was a wealth of things to do outside it to keep entertainment.

V seemed to have goofiness in the story and the story was lacking to begin with so it didn't have much redeeming quality a part from a few clever lines that I can't quite recall now.

I'm happy for a serious story if I know it's not going to affect/restrict the game play in the world around me. For example, I don't think we want to play a game where we can't modify our car because our protag isn't in to car modding. Or we can't buy safehouses because it's not that kind of story. Well make that kind of story.

Older GTA's were almost made with map and gameplay features in mind first, then making a character and story that facilitates the use of the whole map and all these features. SA is a true example of that, whether you like it or not. Story/map/gameplay felt very intertwined.

So yeah, give me a serious story and I don't mind some natural comic relief but don't go looking for an excuse to try make me laugh. Focus one one protag and make character switching an unlock-able after you complete the story.The second character can be a fully customisable character that can be used Online. Focus on one protag, bring back the long story, take me around the map, hopefully to more than one city. Keep the story serious enough to make it compelling and keep the goofy stuff in the world and on the radio or in side-missions. Don't be shy to make a crazy side mission that doesn't correlate to the story. Don't be shy to set it in the 80's or 90's again :D IT makes for a more interesting world for me. I live in the now. GTA was more fun for me as it was like jumping in to some warped time machine. We all want a time machine :p

Edited by Mister Pink

eCola

I would prefer a mix of IV and VC -- a dark story with some dry humor from time to time.

Jammsbro

Except GTA V didn't know when to be wacky or serious. The whole game was a mess and the story was awful, I can hardly believe the same people who wrote that also wrote the masterpiece that was IV.

Masterpiece? I going to go ahead and assume that was an attempt at humour.

Femme Fatale

Masterpiece? I going to go ahead and assume that was an attempt at humour.Sweetie, he's not joking it is a masterpiece...But, eh, to each their own...

Niobium

serious, grounded GTA please. no yoga storyline, family drama, ironing clothes or TREVOR.

I'd rather see something in the middle like IV or Vice City, but dark like TLAD or III is not my thing at all.

KYS.

Edited by Niobium

UAL

I just want to see serious characters. Damn near every character in V was intended to be funny, but it was done in a way where it was way over the top and seemed forced.

I think the tone of IV was perfect, so more like that and less of the goofy sh*t that plagued V.

I don't mind humour within the radio advertisements/talk shows/Billboards etc. but Rockstar need to step their writing up. Nothing was memorable in V. Overall the humour was childish, not funny and forgettable.

Edited by UAL

El Zodape

Goofy, but not like V. V is just half assed goofy for the most part. Trevor is cool, tho (come at me, Niobium).

It has to be goofy cause the story has to fit well to the gameplay and all that sh*t in order to make the most of it (I mean, it doesn't HAVE to, but it's better if it does). As some other dude said, I can't take seriously a dude who gets bored, kills thousands of people, gets arrested and they just let him go 2 hours later. Ok, that's way to silly tho, maybe ditch the "arrested" and "respawn at the hospital" mechanics and instead just reload the game from your last save, cause I don't know how those two silly ideas would fit in a story without going full Saints Row.

Now, you could just say "hnnnng free roam shenaneegunz aint cannon u sh*tlord" but that's just f*cking lazy. Really, it's just f*cking lazy. f*ck outta here boi with that sh*t. You should make a game and build the story around the gameplay in order for it to reach some kind of universal harmony n sh*t.

Most people are cool with le GTAs despite the charactes being extremely inconsistent between cutscenes and gameplay. Though Trevor ironically seems to be the only dude who can remain somewhat consistent between the two (come at me Niobium). I'm not sayan that every character should be like Trevor (since there are no Lost MC bikers left to kill kek come at me niobium), just saying that every character should show some psychopathic behavior in order to justify any random act of violence product of the players boredom. Or maybe not. Maybe the dude could act all natural in cutscenes, but it would be implied that the dude's a f*cking psycho. Look at Mr. Blonde from Reservoir Dogs for example: he acts normal for the most part, then he turns out to be a f*cking psycho and starts torturing some poor bastard. Maybe something like that would work I dunno. Or maybe player choices or some sh*t. Like you can choose to go a more professional way or a more psycotic way, this way we can all have either a, um, professional or a psycopath as a character (duh) and everyone would be happy, and even if you make all the "professional choices" it would still make sense if you get bored and kill a bunch of hobos while wearing a dress, cause your character is still a psychopath who would snap out at any moment.

I think I kind of went of topic, but whatever.

TL;DR: the story should fit with the gameplay. So I guess it should be goofy. Main character could be like Mr. Blonde from Reservoir Dogs, a dude who is a professional with a psychopath side. There would be missions which you would choose to approach them in a professional or psychopathic way. This way you can have a somewhat believable story while keeping free roam shenaenigans "canon". Ditch "busted" and "spawn back at the hospital" mechanics and simply reload to the last save when you get a game over.

RandompedestrianfromLC

It needs to be serious and realistic normal criminal story, like IV. Illegal guns and stolen rusty cars.

No gta online childishness or hollywood stuff anymore. GTA V was okey, but I like it more serious.

GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption and mafia 2 & 3, for example are realistic and serious, the way I like.

If next GTA is something similar to gta onlines goofy stuff, it will be the end of the GTA for me.

I want grand theft auto, to be grand theft auto, not some freekin tactical rich boy simulator with a furry mask.

Racecarlock

My problem with GTA trying to be serious is that it creates a huge tonal dissonance, where you just escaped a police chase with several downed helicopters and an entire army of dead cops while listening to wacky talk radio, and all of a sudden the game wants me to give a sh*t about the life of one man or the killing that happened before the protagonist got to the city.

I mean, it's like trying to combine The Diary Of Anne Frank with Monty Python's Flying Circus. Or more accurately, trying to combine

with the diary of anne frank. It just doesn't mesh together well.

Now, many people might say "Well, why get in a cop chase in the first place instead of just doing missions like a good little boy?". Well, it brings up the question of why I'm playing the game. If all I'm expected to do in free roam is watch TV and go out with my friends in order to keep the seriousness intact, why am I even playing a game instead of going outside? Wacky police chases are a core element of GTA, and a serious storyline directly contradicts that tone.

The other thing is, I'm not sure that Saints Row will be around forever to fill the wacky sandbox void. Sure, Saints Row IV is still a raucous fun time for me, but I don't know if it's even getting a 5th game. I know "Agents of mayhem" is coming out eventually, and that looks fun too. But volition is on shaky financial ground, and deep silver isn't exactly rich.

So, when GTA outlasts both of them and it's a completely poe faced serious game in the story and the free roam is yet again pointlessly limited, I won't have any other game to turn to for wacky dumbface fun. Even the viability of the just cause series is questionable at best.