Serious GTA or Goofy GTA?

GTA POLL  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Serious or Goofy?

• Serious
    • Goofy
    • Something in the Middle

Kid-A

Would you prefer a serious, dark GTA like IV, or something that doesn't take itself that seriously?

I'd like something in between, like GTAV. It knows when to be wacky and it knows when to be serious.

Homemade Dynamite

Except GTA V didn't know when to be wacky or serious. The whole game was a mess and the story was awful, I can hardly believe the same people who wrote that also wrote the masterpiece that was IV.

ASAP Marko

GTAV took the comedy too over the top for me imo. I prefer when it remains satirical and not so slapstick.

Mister Pinkerton

Does it have to be one extreme or the other? OK, if we're saying V was goofy, which I suppose it is and IV is serious, I would probably like IV's seriousness coupled with lots of comedy outside the story. That's the way San Andreas was.

San Andreas' story was pretty serious bar some missions that bordered on the incredible (Green Goo, Black Project) which I didn't personally find too out of place as they were given to you by The Truth and The Truth was going on about so many whacked-out things, it seemed so unbelievable but then they turned out to be true. I actually liked that. Also, CJ was skeptical the whole time and wasn't in-the-know per se (just as a the player would have felt) so there was a mutual "what the f*ck is this guy on about" between you and the protag.

However the rest of the story was more serious and interpersonal. It was about betrayal from your friends, blackmail from police and police corruption and finding revenge and finding your real family.

IV was gritty and serious but lacked any yang when it came fun with regards to features etc.

In short, I want a serious, gritty, dark story with comedy on the radio and comedy in the world but not put in the story for cheap laughs.

Replaying V and I'm sick on the sarcastic conversations. It's just two grown men talking sarcastically at each other. It's pretty juvenile. Not to say that there wasn't some amazing lines but the whole thing was dogged by complaining and sarcasm.

Goodfellas is a good example of it being serious that had funny moments. But the comedy can't feel forced. It has to be natural or ironic.

Edited by Mister Pink

burnstern

While it's easier said than done, they need to get get the mix just right.

IV's comedy moments were on the side of dark humor for the most part. Admittedly I'm biased in that regard as that's more my kind of thing, but there should always be space in an expansive open world with an ensemble cast for plenty of variation in terms of the lighter moments.

V was just unrelenting high farce and "snappy" dialogue which would have been much more entertaining with a little more substance behind it. I get what they were trying to do, as keeping the tone of IV throughout the HD era entirely may have felt stale, but it veered off into self-parody far too often.

RogerWho

I'm all for serious games, if for nothing else than just because when games try to do comedy, it usually doesn't end well. The GTA series in particular.

What was the last great comedy game... Giants Citizen Kabuto from 15 years ago? Well there were a few funny ones inbetween, but most just fall flat on their faces.

Bully was a great light-hearted game, but it was still more about teen wondering about the world rather than trying to mix serious with comedy.

Jabalous

Simply a game in the middle. Great examples of this are GTA IV, VC, III, and arguably, SA. An example of extreme goofiness is V.

ASAP Marko

I feel like the story of GTA V hardly developed and when there were opportunities for their to be powerful scenes it was ruined by humour, like when Michael tracked down Trevor and during their emotional stand-off, the Triads come and ruin the scene by mistaking Michael for Trevor's gay lover. It was a microcosm of the humour within V.

[...]

I'd like something in between, like GTAV.

>something in between

>GTA V

man-in-shock.jpg

OT: I want a serious GTA, like IV was. No silly stuff like the jetpack or UFOs. Just ol' good realism.

Mister Pinkerton

While it's easier said than done, they need to get get the mix just right.

IV's comedy moments were on the side of dark humor for the most part. Admittedly I'm biased in that regard as that's more my kind of thing, but there should always be space in an expansive open world with an ensemble cast for plenty of variation in terms of the lighter moments.

V was just unrelenting high farce and "snappy" dialogue which would have been much more entertaining with a little more substance behind it. I get what they were trying to do, as keeping the tone of IV throughout the HD era entirely may have felt stale, but it veered off into self-parody far too often.

I think you nailed it.

V's story reminded me of that Hollywood brand of humour you see about trailers for comedies and people are talking kinda serious but sarcastically to each other then everything stops, especially the background music for the punchline. It seems to be in every trailer that's for a comedy.

I think they could have kept the tone of IV . I criticized it a lot at the time but I think I was wrong. It's not that I hated the seriousness of it but left with nothing much more than a story-driven game. Nothing to do outside the story and an interesting but restricted map.

If we had the seriousness of IV in V it would have been contrasted with fun things to do. Online also still would have had it's light-heated updates and of course the sunny backdrop of LS and San Andreas.

Edited by Mister Pink

Racecarlock

It's gotta be goofy. Why? Because THAT'S WHAT GTA IS. Even in GTA IV, ostensibly the most serious entry, you've still got brand names like sprunk and e-cola, you've still got the crazy talk radio, you've still got the goofy satirical stuff, so when the game then tries to be all serious with a story about an eastern european immigrant with a troubled past, it comes off like an edgar allen poe poetry reading in the middle of a circus combined with a monster truck show. It's tonally dissonant.

Worst part is that although the scenery is brighter, GTA V fundamentally has the same problem. Here you have a game where the protagonists all have special powers and the talk radio, brand names, and satire are all still there, but then you have the 3 protagonists who spend the whole game in a morose mopey state, as though I'm supposed to take a game world that names beer after the german word for pee water seriously. Michael even has f*cking therapy sessions and yoga missions, as though I'm supposed to give a f*ck about this guy who is super rich but his family isn't that great.

I mean, look at Saints Row IV. No matter what character you create in this game, they'll always let out a scream of joy the first time they try super powers. They'll always have this goofy sense of being in the whole thing just for fun. They always have a sense that they want you to have a good time, and the game maintains a tone of a goofy lack of serious bullsh*t, like you're drunk with friends while watching the avengers.

Look at Just Cause 3, where Rico embraces his role as "person who blows sh*t up to make rebel things happen" wholeheartedly, and loves every second of his job.

Now look at GTA IV and V, where the protagonists are all constantly dour and depressed, the stories are ostensibly about their mental issues and their interactions with people and each other AND the decay of the american dream. Something I'm apparently supposed to take seriously. But then you go back to the game world and there's Princess Robot Bubblegum, Republican Space Rangers, Kung Fu Rainbow Lazer Force, crazy talk shows, and all the while you're in the middle of it doing stunt jumps in sports cars in GTA IV and f*cking monster trucks in GTA V.

The thing is that the satire and the mayhem go well together, but try and put a self serious story in the middle of it and it's like you're mixing orange soda with fine wine. Sure, they taste fine separately, but together they ruin each other.

Here are a couple of errant signal episodes you should watch.

But really, the reason GTA should be goofy is because a game where you can murder 10,000 people and somehow get away with it is fundamentally goofy. Especially when that game also packs itself with goofy satire. And if you're gonna say "Well, then they should take out the satire and make the free roam more realistic", then GTA very quickly stops being GTA, and it becomes the Mafia series, and if you want a mafia game, just get a mafia game.

I mean, have you seen the original GTA?

Doesn't look very serious to me. And not being serious is perfectly fine.

Mister Pinkerton

You make good points Racecarlock and I think it calls for the OP to specify if he means the whole game or just the story. I was referring to it as if we were just talking about the story. I would never want the E-Cola, Gruppe Sechs etc jokes to ever go away. They're staple of GTA.

I do prefer a more serious story with some odd comic relief a la Goodfellas .

Edited by Mister Pink

Journey_95

After the backlash that GTA IV sadly got we are never going back to serious GTA's, future GTA's will be like TBOGT and V.

Making a HD Universe was really silly if they were just going back to the 3D Era crazyness (with worse humor and obnoxious characters instead of memorable one's).

So yeah I would prefer a serious GTA with some fitting humor (like GTA IV and TLAD) but I don't think thats possible anymore

Edited by Journey_95

HoleInTheSky

Serious, leaning to the middle slightly but without sacrificing the heavier themes in the process. I know there's always been a tendency to be goofy for the hell of it, but the series still manages to maintain an air of realism in many ways too (outside of the free roam wackiness), so I hope to see this as the main focus next time.

GTA-Biker

I'd like the story to either be serious,or something in between (something like GTA VC),with the more mature humor like in 3D games and GTA 4.The non-canon gameplay should be fun and offer lots of things to do after completing the story (like GTA SA).

Edited by LeopardGecko

TheHumanIsland

Would you prefer a serious, dark GTA like IV, or something that doesn't take itself that seriously?

I'd like something in between, like GTAV. It knows when to be wacky and it knows when to be serious.

In reality, they both are very similar and GTA IV is not as "dark and serious" as people always tend to regard it.

Brucie, Jacob and Badman, Roman is funny, too. TBoGT in general. Bernie's missions with the gay running and taunting that he knows you want his butt... Gay Tom date where he screams like a female ped instead of a male when you're chasing him. The whole setup of that mission. The taxi driver that works for Roman is hilarious... It's not as serious and dark as people tend to remember. It's somewhere in the middle, as is GTA V.

I loved niko and the moments of immersion that felt serious and dark, but I don't forget the comedy laced within it all. I agree about GTA V, I liked how it felt. I think it could be a little more serious, though. Basically if you take trevor out of it, that would be an even better game.

Edited by TheHumanIsland

Lancerator

Regarding the entire GTA Industry, there should be something in middle that would cause a goofy and seriousness conection between both, people is pretending to have fun in a balanced manner, intimating the main point on the game by his seriousness and having fun in the goofy way, SA could be an example to this.

I'd won't care if it is serious at all, unlike GTA V, which his storyline was awful and ridiculous and his characters were a joke to most GTA players.

Shakermaker

Something in the middle.

The game doesn't need to have a realistic/thoughtful scenario that completely ruins the action, but it needs to take itself seriously.

rixyboyy18

After the backlash that GTA IV sadly got we are never going back to serious GTA's, future GTA's will be like TBOGT and V.

Making a HD Universe was really silly if they were just going back to the 3D Era crazyness (with worse humor and obnoxious characters instead of memorable one's).

So yeah I would prefer a serious GTA with some fitting humor (like GTA IV and TLAD) but I don't think thats possible anymore

And by backlash, you mean angry 11 year olds who don't get IV and how good it was?

All because they don't have their sh*tty chrome supers and sh*t that V has.

Cheatz/Trickz

Serious all the way. Fact is, all of them since (and including) GTA3 have erred more on the serious side rather than "goofy", about 70/30 seriousness/goofiness. Except IV with its glorious 99/1.

Queen Elizabeth II
. It knows when to be wacky and it knows when to be serious.

All it knows is how to be wacky, sadly :(

I'd love GTA Next to be something like GTA IV - funny yet dramatic.

Edited by Queen Elizabeth II

American Venom

GTA IV had the right balance IMO. Wasn't so serious to be on a The Last Of Us/Heavy Rain kind of level, but light hearted enough without being as obnoxious and stupid as the Saints Row series.

I would love to see another GTA like that again.

Frito-Man

I think EFLC had the right balance... Ironically were the games that I liked least.

cp1dell

The real question is why does everyone act like GTA IV was at one end of the spectrum? Everyone keeps acting like it was f*cking "No Country for Old Men." GTA IV constantly gets the label of being the "most serious" game of the series. But if I remember correctly, there was a lot comedic relief. Especially Niko's deadpan snark and attitude he has with the people he meets.

Yeah, the story was more grounded in reality but it wasn't a total f*cking downer like everyone says it is. I'm starting to think that the people that spread this idea probably never even played GTA IV because they probably heard from some f*cking chump that it was "too serious" and they just took their word for it.

Yeah, the game where it opens up immediately with some guy being dominated and whipped on a boat, where the protagonists' cousin is a happy loser with big dreams, where his friend is some roided up nut, where the protagonist has a sarcastic attitude towards the first crime boss he's doing work for, the same game where you track down one of your comrades who is now a flamboyant homosexual that drops their feminine voice when they get upset, the very same f*cking game where the first time you meet one of the larger crime bosses he shoots one of his own guys and has an argument with his friend where he tries to justify it because his wife is home and watching television.

Yeah, how f*cking depressing.

Nico

I'm in for a goofy GTA.

690px-Goofy.svg.png

TBH I liked IV more than other games, I don't care if that's the core of the series or not. I would like to see another game of the same tone, with a radically different story (but the same quality) and all the technical improvements of V. And set in Vice City, of course :turn:

PhillBellic

I'm all four another IV styled Game.

See what I did there? ;)

TheHumanIsland

The real question is why does everyone act like GTA IV was at one end of the spectrum? Everyone keeps acting like it was f*cking "No Country for Old Men." GTA IV constantly gets the label of being the "most serious" game of the series. But if I remember correctly, there was a lot comedic relief. Especially Niko's deadpan snark and attitude he has with the people he meets.

Yeah, the story was more grounded in reality but it wasn't a total f*cking downer like everyone says it is. I'm starting to think that the people that spread this idea probably never even played GTA IV because they probably heard from some f*cking chump that it was "too serious" and they just took their word for it.

Yeah, the game where it opens up immediately with some guy being dominated and whipped on a boat, where the protagonists' cousin is a happy loser with big dreams, where his friend is some roided up nut, where the protagonist has a sarcastic attitude towards the first crime boss he's doing work for, the same game where you track down one of your comrades who is now a flamboyant homosexual that drops their feminine voice when they get upset, the very same f*cking game where the first time you meet one of the larger crime bosses he shoots one of his own guys and has an argument with his friend where he tries to justify it because his wife is home and watching television.

Yeah, how f*cking depressing.

Yea man, I would say the most serious GTA was GTA III. Its satire comedy was really only subtly implied, and not always. It was "funny because it's true", the newer ones are too, but the newer ones from VC onward are purposefully being funny about true things, whereas GTA III was trying to be serious, but came off funny because of how true a lot of its observations-to-dialogue were. The radio was trying to be satirical all along, but the game story/dialogue, much much more taking it self seriously than IV.

Niko's mannerisms when he couldn't understand what jacob or badman were saying lol.

I suppose Roman and Niko aren't

, perhaps more like a couple bizzaro universe/backwards world versions, but they are still silly. Edited by TheHumanIsland

The Deadite

I'd rather see something in the middle like IV or Vice City, but dark like TLAD or III is not my thing at all.

American Venom

I'd rather see something in the middle like IV or Vice City, but dark like TLAD or III is not my thing at all.

But how can you call yourself Midnight Hitman if you don't like it "dark"?

BrownBear

Personally, I like a mix of both. Ideally for me, the story would be more influenced by the dark realism of IV, whereas sillier, fun elements should be more focused on side missions and free roam.

I think they could also implement this if there are multiple characters again. So give us one character with a dark, gritty gangster story and another with a more tongue in cheek, fun story.

Edited by BrownBear