3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

PC Build Help

David.

Hey guys, so my laptop died a couple of days and I've decided to build a gaming PC instead of putting money on another "gaming" laptop. First, I have a couple of questions.

1. I had put in a 960GB SSD in my laptop, will I be able to transfer this to my new PC build?

2. I also had Windows 10 on the laptop, will it be possible to transfer the license to my new PC?

So far, this is my current build:

Hey guys, so my laptop died a couple of days and I've decided to build a gaming PC instead of putting money on another "gaming" laptop. First, I have a couple of questions.

1. I had put in a 960GB SSD in my laptop, will I be able to transfer this to my new PC build?

2. I also had Windows 10 on the laptop, will it be possible to transfer the license to my new PC?

So far, this is my current build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.70 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.89 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)

Case Fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan ($5.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $399.31

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-04 23:45 EDT-0400

I'm only looking for 1080p, 60 fps on med-high settings.

I'm yet to decide on a graphics card as I'm waiting on the aftermarket versions of 1060 and 480 to come out. Also, please let me know if the case fan is at all necessary, I'm just going by what I've seen online. I'm looking to spend around 400$(excluding the graphics card and the ssd of course)

Thanks again for the help :)

1. Yes.

2. Assuming you use the licence that came with the laptop - no. OEM versions cannot be transferred, only BOX.

As for the build:

- you don't need to buy thermal grease, the one that comes with the cooler will do the job;

- I'd advise you to get 1x8GB RAM sticks in case you want to upgrade it to 16GB in the future;

Edited by yojc

Alright thanks for your help :) The license was originally for 8.1 and I got the upgrade.

I guess I'll go with the 8GB for the eventual upgrade.

I'm also wondering if I should bother with an optical drive and the case fan at all. Not planning to overclock. If I'm gonna save on those I can possibly get a 6600.

You will do fine without an extra case fan. As for the ODD, it's entirely up to you.

Agreed 6500 seems like a good mid point. If I were to drop the optical drive, how would I go about installing win7 or 10? Would a flash USB be good enough?

8.1 and 10 can be installed via USB stick w/o problems. As for the 7 - no, you will run into issues when trying to install it from USB on Skylake CPUs.

You could also drop the CPU cooler if you wanted to. The original will do the job if you don't mind the noise. I'd also look at the Be Quiet Pure Rock. Supposedly it's easier to install than the 212 EVO. I have the 212 and it's a bit of a faff to put on but once it's there it does a great and silent job.

So this is the finalized build,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($30.89 @ OutletPC)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $408.84

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-05 14:51 EDT-0400

I changed the case, cpu and changed the ram to 1 stick.

Dropped the optical drive and the case fan.

I'm sticking with the same cooler as I couldn't find a be quiet one for the same price.

Anything I should know before pulling the trigger? I'm a bit worried about the motherboard being low end, but it seems to have decent reviews and works pretty well for my budget.

I haven't heard anything but bad things about Corsair CX power supplies. Would never let any of those near my PC.

It was totally fine for the price in the first post ($30). For $50 you can do much better, like eg. http://pcpartpicker.com/product/R2mxFT/corsair-power-supply-cp9020103na

Not that you need that much power, but it's a better value any way you look at it. Alternatively, you can pay ~$10 extra for an 80Plus Gold certified PSU.

Edited by yojc

For the sake of 80+ Gold? The 80+ system is pretty much just a marketing gimmick at this point.

For the sake of the supply itself? Definitely. A 7 year warranty is a good indicator of confidence from EVGA. Tie that in with the VERY favourable review over on Johnny Guru (one of the most well respected reviewers when it comes to power supplies)... The G2 is a solid unit, one of the best out there.

Get the best PSU, You should never ever cheap out on a PSU as it connects the entire system into one piece.

If you go for a bad PSU, you may damage the entire system.

Hey guys, just wanted to report in that build was successful :) First time I ever assembled a PC, all thanks to you guys!

I'm looking at 1070s to buy in a couple of weeks. Any specific aftermarket models you guys can recommend would be very much appreciated!

I'd recommend the Zotac AMP Extreme if you have it in your region. Fastest combination of memory and clock speeds of all air cooled cards, cheaper than reference, 5 year warranty.