3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

velvetloulou

What are the Movies you love as a kid then realized they were garbage

velvetloulou

I watched nightmare on elm street as a child and it was the sh!t!! I watched it again as an adult and thought this movie sucks donkey balls!! What movie have you watched as an adult and thought this movie sucks compared to when I saw it as a kid?

HeavyDuke

HIGHWAY TO HELL

100039_slipback.jpg

Ivan1997GTA

For me, it was Tom & Jerry: the Movie. I was a huge Tom & Jerry fan as a kid, and still am. I watched the movie several times on VHS and on TV a few times. I really liked the movie as a kid, but looking back on it, it's really bad. Tom & Jerry being friends in there I can comprehend, but I don't like how they constantly talk in the movie, while in the original show, the duo talk very rarely. Not only that, but the movie was filled with musical numbers that occured about every 10 minutes, and most of them, except for the money song, sounded terrible. The only good thing about Tom & Jerry: the Movie, apart from the introduction until Puggsy shows up and the money song I mentioned earlier, is that it spawned the famous "We've got to have...money!" internet meme. This movie just makes me cringe, like, to quote AVGN: "What were they thinking?!". And thanks to the Nostagia Critic's review of the movie, I saw all of the flaws of it.

Edited by Ivan1997GTA

Homemade Dynamite

The Star Wars Prequels.

Femme Fatale

Anything by Adam Sandler, and parody movies...

Norther Deer

Most of Chuck Norris's movies. I still don't get why those movies zoomed in on the dead bodies.

Richard Power Colt

HIGHWAY TO HELL

100039_slipback.jpg

That actually looks like it could be on the so bad it's good territory.

For me it was definitely the Star Wars prequels and to some extent the Matrix sequels as well.

The Deadite

Big Daddy is the only one of his movies that holds up fairly well IMO, Sandler's character is not as endearing as it seemed as first view but is still an ok movie. Edited by Midnight Hitman

Femme Fatale

Big Daddy is the only one of his movies that holds up fairly well IMO, Sandler's character is not as endearing as it seemed as first view but is still an ok movie.Yeah, likewise...

Shakermaker

2Fast 2Furious. Watched it a thousand times when I was a kid.

I still like it to be honest but I'm too ashamed to admit...

GTA-Biker

I didn't really like them,but when I was a kid/teen I used to watch a lot of The Asylum monster movies and other similar movies (100 Million BC, Megalodon, Komodo vs Cobra, Megashark vs Crocosaurus, Boa vs Python...).I'd usually watch them if I was bored and had nothing better to do.

Edited by LeopardGecko

Honker1944

I don't know why people are bitching about Star Wars prequels. There are only bad if your mentality stayed in 1997 when destroying deth star was the only thing what SW have.

Journey_95

I don't know why people are bitching about Star Wars prequels. There are only bad if your mentality stayed in 1997 when destroying deth star was the only thing what SW have.

Nah they are bad because they have awful writing, really bad dialogue and lackluster acting.

I'm not much of a fan of the new movie either, too much of a rip of New Hope.

Kotor and especially Kotor 2 are still the best Star Wars stories in my mind.

Edited by Journey_95

Honker1944

For me in prequels only attack of the clones sucks. TPM and ROTS are good movies. They only problems are bad dualogues at times. Nothing big deal.

But this word about good old KOTOR made sunshine in my star wars fan heart.

A bit of topic. Do you know how to run Kotor 2 on windows 7? Becouse Kotor works good but without movies and jedi academy works incredibly well. Even movies shows up. I have not any idea what is wrong:(

Journey_95

For me in prequels only attack of the clones sucks. TPM and ROTS are good movies. They only problems are bad dualogues at times. Nothing big deal.

A bit of topic. Do you know how to run Kotor 2 on windows 7? Becouse Kotor works good but without movies and jedi academy works incredibly well. Even movies shows up. I have not any idea what is wrong:(

Yeah I heard there were problems. Have you tried to change the Compatibility mode?

Haven't played it in quite some time so really not 100% here but that could be it

SonOfLiberty

Big Daddy is the only one of his movies that holds up fairly well IMO, Sandler's character is not as endearing as it seemed as first view but is still an ok movie.

I think I'd have to give that to Happy Gilmore. That movie still makes me lol 20 years later. I have the opposite opinion that his movies seemed to have gotten worse over the years. Nothing beats Happy Gilmore, Bullet Proof, Billy Madison etc. He's made someone absolute stinkers though like Jack And Jill, but we should ignore that.;)

iBUCKEYE

I still love me some Waterboy.

Majestic81

Nothing. If I liked something then I still like it.

X S

Adam Sandler just got old, and because of that, he couldn't act like a childish jackass anymore, which were the roles that made him famous, a la SNL. That kind of happened to Jim Carrey as well. It's not funny watching a 50 year old man act like a 5 year old.

SmokesWithCigs

too much cgi and not enough practical effects were my main gripe with the prequel trilogy. the battle of geonosis looked like one of those shark kids movies. when you compare today's cgi effects to that scene you'll see how it lacks in comparison.

Mike R.L.

Independence Day. (1996)

It's not so much that its sh*t, It's just ridiculously cheesy. its just the archetype hollywood blockbuster. I remember revisiting it in my mid-teens and figuring out the formula, then subsequently it ruining my ability to watch anything Hollywood pump out on the regular (with a few exceptions) On the other hand I remember loving Arnie films when I was a kid, but realising they were cheesy at the time because, well just Arnies acting really... they can still be enjoyed with nostalgia. I watched Eraser last night.

Edited by Mikeol2014

ThatKyloRenGuy

Barnyard, Open Season, and Over the Hedge, all from 2006.

TheSpectre

I watched Batman Forever on VHS a lot as a kid and loved it. It's a garbage movie, but to this day it hasn't ceased entertaining me.

I remember being excited to go see Batman and Robin in theaters on my birthday and I hated it on my first go.

Edited by TheFoxRiverFugitive

Hmmm nice bike
11 hours ago, ThatBenGuy said:

Barnyard, Open Season, and Over the Hedge, all from 2006. 

2006, for some reason, had a disproportionate amount of sub-par talking animal CGI films that I hated even when I was a kid, although I didn't think Over the Hedge was as bad as the others. They show it on TV a lot, and even though it has the same tired "liar revealed" plot that a bunch of other movies have, it's not as cringeworthy as other similar movies from the bits that I saw again. The animation didn't hold up though. I didn't really notice when I was younger, but looking at it today, the CGI looks kind of cheap and a lot older than 2006.

I'm also amazed that not only would Bruce Willis would agree to do the movie, but that he actually tried with his lines! It's weird how he sounds enthusiastic in Over the Hedge, and then not long after that he's acting bored-as-sh*t as John McClane and his character in "Cop Out" (and a total diva/asshole behind the scenes, he was a complete nightmare to be around).

DareYokel

Troll 2. I sh*t you not. Not only did I like it, I thought that it was the scariest movie ever made. But I was between 6 and 8 at the time.

And The Phantom Menace.

Edited by Darth Yokel

Lock n' Stock

A lot of movies come to mind, like Cats & DogsShark Tale, Spy Kids 3D, and worst of all that live-action Inspector Gadget movie. Anything with talking animals was almost certainly likely to entertain me, regardless of how low-tier it was. My standards have only improved since then.

But sorry, you're wrong about Nightmare on Elm Street imo. There are parts that haven't aged so well, but I still love it regardless. Besides, the same can be said for alot of cult horror films from the 70s and 80s.

Edited by Lock n' Stock

GTA_CAT

Every movie including an aquatic animal attacking stupid young people celebrating a party in the beach or by the sea and turning water red.

Richard Power Colt

The Spy Kids films. Well I don't remember the first one too well(it actually has a pretty high score on RT), but the 2nd and 3rd one I've seen some clips from as an adult and they looked like ass.

Edited by Richard Power Colt

Doctor Holliday

Con Air was the first Rated-R movie I ever saw in theaters without my parents, I think.

I thought it was bad ass; turns out it's just bad.

That being said it has one of the best ensemble casts ever assembled during the 90's :lol:

- Nic Cage

- John Cusack

- John Malkovich

- Steve Buscemi

- Ving Rhames

- Danny Trejo

- Dave Chappelle

- Colm Meaney

loyletomycapo
7 hours ago, Doctor Holliday said:

Con Air was the first Rated-R movie I ever saw in theaters without my parents, I think.

I thought it was bad ass; turns out it's just bad.

That being said it has one of the best ensemble casts ever assembled during the 90's :lol:

- Nic Cage

- John Cusack

- John Malkovich

- Steve Buscemi

- Ving Rhames

- Danny Trejo

- Dave Chappelle

- Colm Meaney

Get the f*ck out the film is a diamond 

CRYUS THE VIRUS