3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Grand Theft Auto: Max Pack - a complete pack ala GOG

Toshiba-3

I'm trying to translate the London expansions into Spanish, but I can't quite understand the files to modify within GTADATA / UK.

Does anyone know how to do it?

• 1 month later...
kailomonkey

Hey I just found the MAX pack on Liberty City ru and it's great. Is there support for GTA2 also? As I haven't found it.

I'm messing with the mission.ini and also wondered if there is a GTA1 modding community around here. Or where I'd post about these things. I guess the general GTA (1) topic area would suffice? I've tried so many searches and found very little on it. Maybe I'm a bit late to the party.

• 1 month later...

GTA london 1961 is no longer available in official site (that is no longer available too), so this is the only way to get it now...

• 4 weeks later...

Ummmm so like no one here is going to explain how the freak you get a controller work on this  game with explanation please???

ThermalMoon

@Resolve When you're in the main menu of the Max Pack, not the main menu of GTA 1 or the London games, you click on white tab at the top that says "main". You will see a bunch of options but the one you are looking for is "mapper", click on "mapper". You will then see an emulation of a keyboard, from there all you have to do is setup the controller to the keyboard settings. For example, if the up arrow is to move forward then you can change it to "X" on your controller. Oh, and this worked with my PS4 controller, it should probably work too for yours, if you're using an Xbox controller or something else then YouTube is your friend. 

If the instructions were too vague or you didn't understand feel free to reach out to me.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for asking but, it is possible to play multiplayer with this mod? Because it doesn't have the multiplayer options in the menu. Thanks!

(Sorry for misspells, i'm bad at english)

@GrittST 

Feel free to ask me any questions. Enjoy the game!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a game quits automatically glitch when i have completed the TV Van-Mission in GTA London 1961 too.

Could you please fix this glitch?

@SynlianoX The Max Pack is emulating the DOS versions of GTA 1, London 1969, and 1961. GTA London 1961 has a glitched side mission regarding the TV Van, I'm sure that's the one you are describing. There is no real way to get past that pesky bug and sadly Toshiba-3 has not been online for quite some time. So does this mean 100% is impossible? Not quite, there is a way to get around this.

The windows version of GTA London 1961 is like the DOS version, but without the bugged TV Van side mission. It's free to download at; Download Grand Theft Auto: Mission Pack #2 - London 1961 - My Abandonware

This version should help you get 100% and it's compatible with the Max Pack. The problem may rise from needing GTA 1 and London 1969 (Windows) for it work should you wish to add it to the Max Pack folder. Or you can just already play it from the download I sent you, could save you time. One difference from the windows version of GTA London 1961 might be the lack of music. Aside from the sound effects, the radio stations aren't emitting sound. They "work" but the OST isn't implemented in the game. To my knowledge, there is no way to hear music in the windows version of GTA 1, London 1969, and London 1961. Still, if you just need the game to work and 100%, then the download should be serviceable.

If you have questions regarding the windows version of GTA London 1961 (or the other two), feel free to ask.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ThermalMoon said:

One difference from the windows version of GTA London 1961 might be the lack of music. Aside from the sound effects, the radio stations aren't emitting sound. They "work" but the OST isn't implemented in the game. To my knowledge, there is no way to hear music in the windows version of GTA 1, London 1969, and London 1961.

The original versions of GTA 1, GTA: London 1969 and GTA: London 1961 play music from the optical (CD) drive. London 1961 plays the music from the London 1969 CD. They had no function to install the music to the hard drive, and so are programmed to look for the primary optical drive and play the music from there. If you buy a copy of GTA 1 and GTA: London 1969 (not the Classics Collection versions) and insert them using an external optical drive, the Windows versions will play music from the CD. Just make sure to unmount any virtual optical drives first. This works even on Windows 10, I've tried it. This should also be possible by downloading a ripped copy of the CD and mounting it in a virtual drive, but I can't confirm this.

The reason that the games work like this is that HDD storage was limited at the time (I remember our first PC in 1998 had a 6GB hard drive) so the HDD would fill up fast if you installed the music to the HDD, especially since the music often tended to take up the most space. For example, the original disc install of GTA 2, which plays music from the disc, is 64MB. The Rockstar Classics version, which plays music from the HDD, is 384MB. The first game that allowed music to be played from the HDD was GTA III with the 1.1 update (1.0 can now also do this with Silentpatch). The Rockstar Classics versions of GTA 1 and 2 (released in 2002) can also do this, but the London games never got released in this way, though London 1969 did get a similar update in the 2004 release GTA: The Classics Collection.

So it is possible to play GTA 1 + London expansions with music, it's just a bit more awkward, especially with modern laptops that don't come with optical drives anymore.

Edited by jm-9
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ThermalMoon said:

This version should help you get 100% and it's compatible with the Max Pack. The problem may rise from needing GTA 1 and London 1969 (Windows) for it work should you wish to add it to the Max Pack folder. Or you can just already play it from the download I sent you, could save you time. One difference from the windows version of GTA London 1961 might be the lack of music. Aside from the sound effects, the radio stations aren't emitting sound. They "work" but the OST isn't implemented in the game. To my knowledge, there is no way to hear music in the windows version of GTA 1, London 1969, and London 1961. Still, if you just need the game to work and 100%, then the download should be serviceable.

You mean I can not use SAVE STATES for GTA London 1961 right?

On 9/12/2021 at 3:47 PM, SynlianoX said:

You mean I can not use SAVE STATES for GTA London 1961 right?

Originally the games did not include save states. This goes for both the DOS and Windows versions. Save states are only possible due to them being a feature of Dosbox, the DOS emulator that the Max Pack runs in. So if you play the Windows version, you will not be able to use save states. You will have to make 100,000 pounds to beat the level without being able to use save states.

Edited by jm-9
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, jm-9 said:

Originally the games did not include save states. This goes for both the DOS and Windows versions. Save states are only possible due to them being a feature of Dosbox, the DOS emulator that the Max Pack runs in. So if you play the Windows version, you will not be able to use save states. You will have to make 100,000 pounds to beat the level without being able to use save states.

OK, i got it. Thank you bro.

7 hours ago, SynlianoX said:

Finally, i did it yeah!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHyi_uO0-M

😎😎😎

Wow, congratulations! That’s the hardest game in the series, and to beat it without save states is a real achievement! And 100% too! Just yesterday in another topic I said that getting 100% in London 1961 would be near-impossible. Well, looks like you've proven me wrong!

Edited by jm-9
  • Like 2

I'm going to try the TV van mission on a real DOS machine. It'll be interesting to see if it also quits.

Update: I played the DOS 24-bit software-accelerated version (unlike GTA 1 and London 1969 there is no 8-bit software-accelerated version) in 640x480x32. I played it in Windows 98's DOS mode (not a DOS window), which is MS-DOS 7.1. This means that it was running in a 100% native environment, with no emulation whatsoever.

I did the TV van mission. I drove the van into the garage to complete the mission, and as soon as I walked out, before the Nice One! text could appear, the game froze, and I could do nothing. I had to restart my PC.

So I can confirm that this glitch is part of the game itself, and not because of the Max Pack's emulation. When I get a chance I'll also try out the hardware-accelerated 3DFX version, but chances are it will also happen there.

So in order to fix this, it looks like somebody would have to make a mod for the DOS version.

Edited by jm-9
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

By reading this topic I understand the widescreen patch doesn't work with this.

But is it possible to zoom out so you can see larger area?

Like in those pictures in the main post. They're way more zoomed out than original.

I haven't found a way to do that.

Or are those screenshots taken right when you start the game, before it zoomes into normal view?

Edited by Plynthus

20 hours ago, Plynthus said:

By reading this topic I understand the widescreen patch doesn't work with this.

But is it possible to zoom out so you can see larger area?

Like in those pictures in the main post. They're way more zoomed out than original.

I haven't found a way to do that.

Or are those screenshots taken right when you start the game, before it zoomes into normal view?

That looks to be the case, yes. All three are where you begin the respective games.

majorunderscore9

Can you tell me how to fix the lag on windows 10, I'm getting 10 fps only?

2 hours ago, majorunderscore9 said:

Can you tell me how to fix the lag on windows 10, I'm getting 10 fps only?

Press F11, and select 640x480x32 or 800x600x32.

19 hours ago, majorunderscore9 said:

Is not possible to get 30 fps

No. GTA 1 runs at a maximum of 24fps. You can turn off the frame limiter by pressing F8, but that will probably cause the game to run too fast.

• Like 1