1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Apart from III, which GTA is the most innovative?

Wolfman_

Apart from III, which GTA is the most innovative?   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Apart from III, which GTA is the most innovative?

• Vice City
    • San Andreas
    • IV
    • V

My opinion: GTA IV, most because of the "realistic-physics" addition, but let's remember that V is the first multiple-protagonists GTA.

What do you think?

• Like 2

Sunrise Driver

GTA San Andreas

- 3 cities with countryside, mountains, desert.

- Lots of new gameplay features.

- Swimming & diving.

- Much more freedom in the air: increased height limit, plenty of new planes with improved flight physics, parachutes.

- All-new radio station system.

- Player customization.

- Improved shooting system.

Edited by Street Mix
  • Like 9

GTA San Andreas. SA pretty much shows true meaning of open world compared to previous series. The details SA have gives different atmosphere in various part of map, giving players interest to explore them as well. No place is unreachable, the whole map is your playground, even vast nothingness of the sea as well. And don't get me started at customization.

I might say it's applied to VC as well, and IV was better.

But SA although not that impressive, the difference is quite noticeable for wide audience.

Everytime i sit down and remember SA came from 2004 always gets me. Truly ahead of its time.

Edited by MKKJ
  • Like 1

Homemade Dynamite

GTA IV completely upped the standard for video game storytelling, and for that I'd say it's the most innovative. Unfortunately, few have been able to live up to the bar that was set by GTA IV, not even R* themselves.

Edited by Lazor Guns
  • Like 1

IV. It innovated the entire series as being the first in the series to introduce the HD Universe. IV also introduced a completely new physics system, utilizing Euphoria and Bullet for complicated, unscripted physics capabilities.

IV also introduced RAGE to the GTA series, although it wasn't the first RAGE game, it definitely made an impact. That combined with a much more complex and serious story than what we were used to for GTA, and I think IV is a fair contender for the most innovative.

• Like 2

IV. It innovated the entire series as being the first in the series to introduce the HD Universe. IV also introduced a completely new physics system, utilizing Euphoria and Bullet for complicated, unscripted physics capabilities.

IV also introduced RAGE to the GTA series, although it wasn't the first RAGE game, it definitely made an impact. That combined with a much more complex and serious story than what we were used to for GTA, and I think IV is a fair contender for the most innovative.

It was a massive change over the 3D universe having had this all physics mechanics and ragdoll effects. I was amused the first time i played IV when it released. So much detail for being a 2008 game. I'm going with IV as well :^:
  • Like 2

The Dedito Gae

I have to be honest and give it to SA this time, i'm not that fond of the game but the ammount of content it had for the time it was impossible.

Planes, trains and cars, gyms, swimming, customization fighting styles. It was like a hamburguer with everything in the menu.

I'd say San Andre.

• First time as a black guy.
  • Can ride a bike.
  • Many food joints with quality food and beverages.
  • Clothes choice.
  • Bodybuilding.
  • Different fighting styles to learn.
  • Airplanes.
  • Skydiving.
  • First time you can swim. Plus underwater as well.
  • First time you can climb walls.
  • Different cities with different atmospheres to them.
  • As you the players skill progresses with guns, so does CJ with certain upgrades (e.g. Hitman level)
  • Girlfriends? Was that the first where you could actually date them?
  • And Samuel L f*ckin' Jackson!
  • Like 2

Why are other games missing from the poll?

I'd say the most innovative in the series apart from III were GTA 1 and IV.

GTA 1 obviously started the whole thing for being a bad guy in a urban environment and without it, we wouldn't have other other games (not only from the GTA series, but also other games like Mafia, True Crime, etc.). Maybe someone would get the same idea later and made similar game (just like Reflections kind of did with the Driver), but GTA undoubtedly started the whole genre.

GTA IV as it put everything to a whole new level in similar way to GTA III. While the latter switched view from overhead quasi 3D into full 3Dn graphics, the former overhauled graphics, physics and gameplay to new levels that weren't possible back then. It was one of the first game to use Euphoria engine (it's still isn't as popular as it should be), first full scale game to use RAGE (instead of heavily outdated Renderware engine) and game that despite being 8 years old, still makes many people salty.

• Like 3

JosephStalin

V an absolute technical marvel, R* Most innovative and ambitious game since III.

San Andreas was not that innovative it was just packed to the brim with unnecessary features, the map was not that impressive in terms of size either true crime streets of L.A was much larger.

MiamiViceCity1986

V an absolute technical marvel, R* Most innovative and ambitious game since III.

San Andreas was not that innovative it was just packed to the brim with unnecessary features, the map was not that impressive in terms of size either true crime streets of L.A was much larger.

I'm not the biggest fan of San Andreas, but one of the things I've always admired is the map.

Sure True Crime: Streets of LA had a much bigger map, but it was just one location and it was also really repetitive with its structure and layout. I actually thought it was too big to be honest.

I don't even remember anything from that map specifically. By today's standard it's just a generic, LA based map. I can still remember the layout of Angel Pine at the foot of Mt Chilliad street by street.

San Andreas was one of the first real attempts of varying landscapes and multiple cities in one map. It may not have been the biggest, but it stood out nonetheless.

Anyway as for the question I voted GTA IV. Whilst GTA IV didn't define a genre like GTA III did it did help path the way for future games with the technical innovations it brought to the series.

• Like 3

PhillBellic

From a File Structure stand point, V has the most innovation. Most of the Coding is set using Plain Text Files, which allows for some extensive customisation.

• Like 1

GTA San Andreas because it had tons of new features (vehicle customization, skills, gang wars, many side activities...) and improvements of old features (character customization, more interiors, gang recruitment, better map...),compared to older games.Also GTA 4 because it was the first HD game in the series.

Edited by LeopardGecko

Lunar_Twisted

I'll say GTA IV because of how different it was from the past GTA 3D Era and a fresh new start of the GTA HD Era. The plot, graphics, physics and gameplay elements. When I first played it, I was in shock of how realistic the driving was. Niko Bellic is my favorite character, his emotions towards other people, especially his backstory and I feel bad for him 100%. That dark atmosphere feels so great in LC. Every time I hear the theme song "Soviet Connection" on youtube, it makes me want to play GTA IV again. As for GTA V, the story felt short, the setting of LS is great, especially the weather, switching between the 3 characters is a nice feature, the driving physics wasn't that great, online was good and character/vehicle customization are the best feature that made GTA V best. The lightning strike added to the weather system is awesome and I wish it was in GTA IV, even though the sky flashes and thunders roaring. In general, for the HD Era, I still currently play both games because they are both great games, even though they both have pros and cons. Also, even though GTA: Chinatown Wars hardly gets mention, I know it wasn't great for anyone, but I loved it. Going back to GTA 3D Era, the way I play it, is by playing it in chronological; GTA: VCS(1984), GTA: VC(1986), GTA: SA(1992), GTA: LCS(1998) & GTA III(2001). If I have to choose my top 3 favorite GTA games in the GTA 3D Era, it will be 1. San Andreas 2. GTA VC & 3. GTA III. The story is all GTA 3D Era are great, even the characters. Also, the best thing about SA are customization and building up your stamina. The weather system across the GTA 3D Era feels different when you visit other cities.

Edited by Lunar_Twisted

DimitriFaustin

I personally can not bring myself to believe how III could be considered more innovative than the first Grand Theft Auto. All III really did in my opinion was introduce the Renderware engine to the series and flesh out a story with more detailed characters versus a background of the game.

That said, it's gonna be a three-way tie between I, IV, and V for me. The original one because there were no other games remotely like it when it came out, and aside from Mortal Kombat, no other games caused that much controversy and so much divide between the video game industry and people with objections to what they perceive as immoral. IV because of its Euphoria and RAGE game engines, as well as having a compelling story and characters.

V because, aside from Red Dead Redemption, showed that Rockstar finally was not going to cheaply make its video games anymore. V crossed many barriers from the technology and game engine to the gameplay to the story and characters, all of which hit Los Angeles and Southern California on the spot. Whether GTA fans here like it or not, V took no prisoners as to being one of the most successful, influential video games of all time, and Rockstar pulled out all the stops to ensure that would happen.

As for my favourite GTA, II? Aside from having different weapons, more interesting vehicles and missions, and better graphics than GTA 1 (all along with the best soundtrack in the series), I don't know if I can slap the word innovative on it.

The Dedito Gae

I don't get why IV is getting so many votes, don't get me wrong, i love IV but is more of a feat to push the limits on the technical side than just in the narrative department. LC is huge and euphoria is a new to the series but but most of these aspects have already appeared in other games.

• Like 2

I don't get why IV is getting so many votes, don't get me wrong, i love IV but is more of a feat to push the limits on the technical side than just in the narrative department. LC is huge and euphoria is a new to the series but but most of these aspects have already appeared in other games.

Now that reminds me, III and SA was really big news during their release. It's like they got all the spotlight from gaming industry then, for they are 'setting new standards' for games. I wasn't into gaming then but i could heard kids mention SA like, everywhere.

Edited by MKKJ

@DimitriFaustin: Well, we are trying to find which GTA (besides III) was the most innovative to the Series. Since GTA I/II were the Series "blueprint" they weren't considered.

Of course that is just my point of view on how things work :lol:

Racecarlock

GTA San Andreas. It had so many ideas that upon release, many of them were half formed. How, for example, does having the character get hungry unless you use a cheat code improve gameplay? I mean, at least in the sims you can build your sim a game room and imagine you have your own arcade that you can go to when you're bored, and with the expansion you even have a portal to an amusement park you can ride roller coasters at. But in San Andreas, all hunger does is interrupt your massive tank rampage against the military to go get a f*cking burger, and I just don't see how that improves the game. It only makes the game more realistic, which makes it equal with making you do your taxes every in game year.

It also introduced dating, bikes, skydiving, planes, a selection of cheat codes frankly ridiculous enough to embarrass a gameshark, and I know because I don't need to use one when I play it, gambling, a big map, RPG stats, and more.

Now, I get why people are saying GTA IV, because I liked the new graphics and physics too. But it removed tanks in favor of taking your cousin bowling, it removed planes in favor of watching stand up comedy acts you could find on youtube, the map was smaller, and even then, while there is a small neighborhood near the carnival and central park in the manhattan bit of the game, most of the map is just bland grey and brown city, with alderney mixing it up with bland grey and brown industrial areas. Sure, it's realistic realism from reality, but it's just not that fun. It has a story, sure, but the story was too dark. Yeah, I said it. For a game where murder is practically part of the commute, for some reason the game wants me to care that Niko killed people in Vague Eastern European Placeistan, and when I'm one of those players who likes seeing how many cars he can explode in one chain reaction, that's a bit difficult. Most people will then say that it's my fault for not following traffic laws and acting like a nice guy, but frankly who plays GTA as a well behaved citizen %100 of the time, and how would that demographic be big enough to really matter when making a GTA game?

It must be said that I don't think GTA IV is a bad game, the new physics makes messing around with pedestrians more fun than ever. In fact, I miss being able to push like that in GTA V, it takes far too much effort to push someone off a mountain now. But the problem with GTA IV is that it misunderstands most of the audience at a fundamental level. We don't give a f*ck about the characters in a GTA Game, and that goes for 5 too. What we care about is how many sports cars we can pile up in a canyon with cheats before setting them off in a massive fireworks display that would make the fourth of july go flaccid in shame. Some of us do, anyways. For those of you who genuinely care about story, that's lovely. More power to you, but even you must realize that you are vastly outnumbered by people who just like doing silly stunts in cargo planes, and complaining that we're ruining it for you isn't going to change that.

MiamiViceCity1986

More power to you, but even you must realize that you are vastly outnumbered by people who just like doing silly stunts in cargo planes, and complaining that we're ruining it for you isn't going to change that.

Nice sweeping generalisation there. :/

• Like 1

Cheatz/Trickz

1 - Sure, it's realistic realism from reality, but it's just not that fun.

2 - It has a story, sure, but the story was too dark.

3 - I'm one of those players who likes seeing how many cars he can explode in one chain reaction, that's a bit difficult.

4 - But the problem with GTA IV is that it misunderstands most of the audience at a fundamental level.

5 - We don't give a f*ck about the characters in a GTA Game.

6 - What we care about is how many sports cars we can pile up in a canyon with cheats.

7 - Some of us do, anyways.

8 - For those of you who genuinely care about story, you are vastly outnumbered by people who just like doing silly stunts in cargo planes.

A few things:

1 - You sound like Osho.

2 - That's a good thing for me. San Andreas was too light and silly.

3 - There's actually a trophy for doing that in IV.

4 - No it doesn't, IV was just what I wanted from GTA.

5 - Uh...Yes we do. IV's story isn't praised to heaven and back for nothing.

6 - You must love Saints Row, I'll never understand that.

7 - Yes! SOME of you.

8 - There are too many pre-teens playing these games.

Edited by Cheatz_N_Trickz

Even though I love GTA IV, I gotta vote for San Andreas. IV introduced realistic physics, darker storylines and singleplayer DLCs. SA introduced a gigantic map with 3 big cities, rural areas, desolate areas and buyable safehouses across the entire state. It improved shooting mechanics and also introduced turf wars, player customisation, girlfriends with benefits (getting wasted/busted and keeping your guns), vehicle schools (I love playing Learning to Fly on the PS2) and interesting things to spend money on besides ammo, like gambling. It was more than ground-breaking at the time. It was a complete revolution on how to make a game.

It must be said that I don't think GTA IV is a bad game, the new physics makes messing around with pedestrians more fun than ever. In fact, I miss being able to push like that in GTA V, it takes far too much effort to push someone off a mountain now. But the problem with GTA IV is that it misunderstands most of the audience at a fundamental level. We don't give a f*ck about the characters in a GTA Game, and that goes for 5 too. What we care about is how many sports cars we can pile up in a canyon with cheats before setting them off in a massive fireworks display that would make the fourth of july go flaccid in shame. Some of us do, anyways. For those of you who genuinely care about story, that's lovely. More power to you, but even you must realize that you are vastly outnumbered by people who just like doing silly stunts in cargo planes, and complaining that we're ruining it for you isn't going to change that.

Actually, that's why I like GTA IV so much. It showed GTA can do more than mindless fun. It's one of the best stories I've ever seen in a game and despite missing some nice features from SA, it is still amazing. Maybe that's why it was universally acclaimed by critics and hated by some fans. It tried to do something different and many didn't like it. It is unique within the series.

• Like 2

Racecarlock

1 - Sure, it's realistic realism from reality, but it's just not that fun.

2 - It has a story, sure, but the story was too dark.

3 - I'm one of those players who likes seeing how many cars he can explode in one chain reaction, that's a bit difficult.

4 - But the problem with GTA IV is that it misunderstands most of the audience at a fundamental level.

5 - We don't give a f*ck about the characters in a GTA Game.

6 - What we care about is how many sports cars we can pile up in a canyon with cheats.

7 - Some of us do, anyways.

8 - For those of you who genuinely care about story, you are vastly outnumbered by people who just like doing silly stunts in cargo planes.

A few things:

1 - You sound like Osho.

2 - That's a good thing for me. San Andreas was too light and silly.

3 - There's actually a trophy for doing that in IV.

4 - No it doesn't, IV was just what I wanted from GTA.

5 - Uh...Yes we do. IV's story isn't praised to heaven and back for nothing.

6 - You must love Saints Row, I'll never understand that.

7 - Yes! SOME of you.

8 - There are too many pre-teens playing these games.

When I said "most" of the audience, I didn't say "All" of the audience.

But enough with the pedantry. The fact is that when you look on reddit, most of the GTA posts aren't about the incredible storytelling, they're gifs of an insane stunt someone did or a hilarious death. Now, I do like having a well written story, but I do not consider that necessary for me to enjoy a game. All I need is something cool to mess around with.

I love Saints Row because it didn't forget what it is. It's not a deep or philosophical game, it's goal is to have fun, like it's players. Saints Row IV in particular has an activity that straight up hands me a mech, a damage goal, a timer, and then says "Go man, go!". It knows what I want to do in a game, and gives me various fun tools to do it with.

GTA IV had taking your cousin bowling constantly if you wanted to be able to call in taxis at all, and GTA V has therapy sessions because it thinks michael is a deep character. Both games, while GTA V provides more tools, try to drive the player away from the glorious anarchic fun that open world gaming is known for. And sure, GTA IV has a lovely story, but the story is finite, and then after the last mission, there's barely any ways to mess around, and that's not fun. There are a few ways, hitting cars into the air with helicopter blades is raucous fun, but in general GTA IV had a lot less ways to mess around with the world than previous games. Tanks were gone unless you bought the DLC, and even then it's more of an APC pseudo-tank than a tank, and parachutes were also exclusive to the DLC for some reason.

But again, GTA IV is still a good game. It's just not amazing. To be honest, I liked saints row 2 more.

Non Funkable Token

III: the first 3D game of the saga.

VC:

-Introduced real radio stations.

-Introduced the option of running businesses.

SA: all the things mentioned by Street Mix above.

LCS: probably nothing to see here.

VCS: improved the "building an empire" introduced in VC.

IV/EFLC:

-First game of the saga in HD.

-Took the storytelling to another level.

-New engine.

-Some new little features (monologues, BOWLING, air hockey, hang out with friends, etc).

V:

-First game of the saga with 3 protags.

-Biggest map of them all.

-Introduced random events to the saga.

-Another bunch of little features (golf, tennis, etc)

-Took multiplayer to another level, turning it into a game by itself.

For me SA is the more ahead of its time GTA. It put the standard in the sky.

Edited by Perez84