4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Is the game too easy?

Diddly-doodly

Diddly-doodly

Just finished playing FarCry 4 and Hitman Absolution. And I can say there is a HUGE contrast in difficulty between those games and GTA V. Do you have any suggestions for mods to make the game a bit more challenging and spicy? I've thought about disabling the special abilities, but I don't think that's enough.

At this point, the game is almost dead to me.

...Play without HUD?

But yes, this game is incredibly easy even with the cheap difficulty of enemies, you can score headshots too easily or just pull out an explosive and blow them up.

For MODs, there are some realism mods that can spice things up, like:

-Hardcore difficulty: https://pt.gta5-mods.com/scripts/mbs-hardcore-difficulty

-realistic driving mod: https://pt.gta5-mods.com/vehicles/realistic-driving-v

Edited by pedinhuh
  • Like 1

Misunderstood

This game is extremely easy. And that's been the growing issue with the HD era. 3D era wasn't really hard but there were certain missions that I had to play several times to pass. I can't think of one mission in IV or V that I got stuck on for hours on end. They're all easy. V can be even easier than IV considering you can actually skip parts of missions if you fail enough times. Anyways, download some mods that will make it harder. I'm certain there's a mod that makes it so you die in a realistic amount of shots, one that disables health regen and you can probably try turning off the HUD.

• Like 1

Lethal Vaccine

It surely is the easiest GTA in the Series. 8/15 Knife Flights, 25/50 Stunt Jumps, 25/50 Under the Bridges, more Collectibles that are in the game, but aren't required for 100%, skipping parts of Missions, Health Regen from the beginning of the game just given to you unlike how you need to unlock it in Chinatown Wars from a Side Mission, when the going gets tough in a Mission with 2 or 3 of the Characters, you can switch to another Character before the current one dies just to take the heat off the one Character being shot. If it was the only Character you could play with, you'd be dead. But yeah, there is just too many reasons why I find V way too easy for my liking. Hell, even the Map is unlocked from the get-go and you have access to an Attack Chopper and a few Planes. I liked in SA how you got a 4 star wanted level if you went to restricted territory early on and I liked how in IV you would get a 6 star wanted level for going into restricted territory. I, too, miss the challenging aspects of the GTA's.

Like Misunderstood said...It's a HD Era "thing." Rockstar went ultra soft with the inception of the HD Era in 2008. It's been getting softer ever since, tbh...

Diddly-doodly

This game is extremely easy. And that's been the growing issue with the HD era. 3D era wasn't really hard but there were certain missions that I had to play several times to pass. I can't think of one mission in IV or V that I got stuck on for hours on end. They're all easy. V can be even easier than IV considering you can actually skip parts of missions if you fail enough times. Anyways, download some mods that will make it harder. I'm certain there's a mod that makes it so you die in a realistic amount of shots, one that disables health regen and you can probably try turning off the HUD.

The difficulty in the 3D era consisted on the fact that if you died, you were sent all the way to the hospital and lost all your weapons. Failing a mission was the worst thing that could ever happen, because you had to redo EVERYTHING, and probably repurchase all your weapons if you failed by dying. Because of that, I always was on the edge of my seat as I REALLY didn't want to lose. Death meant something, and the player was punished for losing. It is that feeling of not wanting to lose that got me hooked to SanAndreas.

Nowadays, failure is an option. There is nothing to pay for failing a mission, no incentive for letting the character alive. Checkpoints everywhere, and even to option to SKIP part of a mission. Weapons are easily purchasable and never lost.

If there is no incentive for keeping the character alive, how can we get attached to someone we are so willing to sacrifice? I am starting to understand why this game is shallow compared to the previous ones.

It's not about more enemies or more shooting, it's about a better reward/punishment system.

Edited by Diddly-doodly

Do I consider it "too easy?" No. But to be honest, GTA games have never been overly difficult. Difficulty is not something that Rockstar has ever been "known for" in GTA games. I actually have come to appreciate when long and full games like GTA titles have SP campaigns and tasks that are easier, because there is a huge online component, and if I want "challenge" I can simply do online and play against the best players and get my ass handed to me. I personally think that "difficulty" in games is highly overrated, particularly in really LONG 100% completion games where even without getting bogged down with difficulty and a ton of "Mission Failed" screens, you're still looking at a high investment of time in the game.

In my opinion, shorter games need to be more difficult because the devs of those titles may want to try and hide the lack of depth behind a veil of difficulty in order to sort of artificially make their games seem longer.

But looking back over ALL GTA games, from III all the way to the present, nothing in these games is particularly challenging. Even IV, though I can't stand the game, has the virtue of being just as easy as all the other GTA's.

They made the game eazy so they can appease the new generation.

🔮

Edited by Seventh Star
  • Like 1

Lethal Vaccine

There is an option to reload, you know. Failed a Mission? Reload. Died? Reload. Busted? Reload. Used Cheats? Reload. There is in fact people who do playthroughs while maintaining minimum Stats you know. Despite GTA V NOT having any Mission Related Stats in the Pause Menu like Mission Passed, Mission Attempts, Mission Failures, etc, etc, just from habit I STILL reload when I mess something up...It depends on the Player's Play Style. Some people don't care if their Stats aren't clean and show a bunch of failures, deaths, busted, cheats, etc, but some people care a lot about these types of Stats, so there is always an option to reload and in regards to the HD Era, turning Autosave OFF so it doesn't f*ck you over when you die. Game tries to save at the most pathetic times. Most times when you do NOT want it to save after losing a Vehicle or something happening...

But I do agree about the Incentive to do any of this stuff. GTA IV? Ammo Cap Removal. Save game after buying 9999 Rounds. Reverts back to the usual ammo cap and you now just lost all your money. TLaD/TBoGT, same old, same old. Ammo Cap Removal, yet, no ammo you buy in excess actually saves. No 100% Rewards in CW and just a few UFO's, 100% T-Shirt, and another Mission in GTA V upon 100%. Awesome incentive, right? Not...

Incentive to do any of this stuff is missing. The only people who WILL do it, regardless of incentive or not, is Completionists...Those who aren't into going for 100%, keeping Minimum Stats, obtaining some Special Vehicles, etc, etc, probably won't bother reaching 100% since there is no real point in it anymore. Rewards died with the HD Era. Last good Rewards were in VCS (2006) the last 3D Era of the Series and with the shift to the HD Era, it became boring as f*ck for Rewards...

• Like 1

Diddly-doodly

There is an option to reload, you know. Failed a Mission? Reload. Died? Reload. Busted? Reload. Used Cheats? Reload. There is in fact people who do playthroughs while maintaining minimum Stats you know. Despite GTA V NOT having any Mission Related Stats in the Pause Menu like Mission Passed, Mission Attempts, Mission Failures, etc, etc, just from habit I STILL reload when I mess something up...It depends on the Player's Play Style. Some people don't care if their Stats aren't clean and show a bunch of failures, deaths, busted, cheats, etc, but some people care a lot about these types of Stats, so there is always an option to reload and in regards to the HD Era, turning Autosave OFF so it doesn't f*ck you over when you die. Game tries to save at the most pathetic times. Most times when you do NOT want it to save after losing a Vehicle or something happening...

But I do agree about the Incentive to do any of this stuff. GTA IV? Ammo Cap Removal. Save game after buying 9999 Rounds. Reverts back to the usual ammo cap and you now just lost all your money. TLaD/TBoGT, same old, same old. Ammo Cap Removal, yet, no ammo you buy in excess actually saves. No 100% Rewards in CW and just a few UFO's, 100% T-Shirt, and another Mission in GTA V upon 100%. Awesome incentive, right? Not...

Incentive to do any of this stuff is missing. The only people who WILL do it, regardless of incentive or not, is Completionists...Those who aren't into going for 100%, keeping Minimum Stats, obtaining some Special Vehicles, etc, etc, probably won't bother reaching 100% since there is no real point in it anymore. Rewards died with the HD Era. Last good Rewards were in VCS (2006) the last 3D Era of the Series and with the shift to the HD Era, it became boring as f*ck for Rewards...

Having to reload as a way of simulating a punishment system for losing is extremely un-immersive.

Misunderstood

I agree, HD era needs to do a lot better with its rewards. For example, in IV, all you get for shooting those annoying 200 f*cking birds is a f*cking helicopter spawn that doesn't even work half the time. Compared to III, VC and SA where you actually got sh*t for collecting sh*t. Last good rewards for anything was VCS and the last game with any sort of difficulty was also VCS. GTA V's 100% reward is at least better than IV's but it's still quite garbage and offers no incentive. Only reason I get 100% in IV and V is because I just like fully completing the games. If I didn't, I wouldn't bother.

• Like 4

Lethal Vaccine

Pass Vertical Bird in SA, it gives you a Hydra. Just simply passing a Mission, you're given something awesome. Even a Leviathan is sitting at the Airstrip upon passing Up, Up, and Away!

Fast forward to HD Era. What do I get? Oh yeah, a Trophy that does nothing but give me the bragging rights to say "I got it." Cool, bro.

Yeah, that is how I am. Since I am in fact a Completionist and always working on ways to improve my Saves and trying new things, I do the game, even one that has no rewards. I also wouldn't even start something if I knew I wasn't going to go big. I go big or I don't go at all.

@Diddly, when it comes to GTA and my play style, it's far from immersive. I am that guy that skips all cutscenes just to have my Total Playing Time Stat as low as possible for each GTA. If I really need to see cutscenes I already saw on my first playthrough, I will check Youtube. I don't care to really watch the same Movie several times over again and it goes for GTA, too. After playing them so many times over again besides the HD Era, I don't really care to watch it. I am racing against the clock now that I got better with more playthroughs, more practice and trying new and challenging things, etc...

• Like 3

Diddly-doodly

I agree, HD era needs to do a lot better with its rewards. For example, in IV, all you get for shooting those annoying 200 f*cking birds is a f*cking helicopter spawn that doesn't even work half the time. Compared to III, VC and SA where you actually got sh*t for collecting sh*t. Last good rewards for anything was VCS and the last game with any sort of difficulty was also VCS. GTA V's 100% reward is at least better than IV's but it's still quite garbage and offers no incentive. Only reason I get 100% in IV and V is because I just like fully completing the games. If I didn't, I wouldn't bother.

A reward system should also be applied to weapons. Most good weapons are unlocked right from the start in GTA V. You don´t feel the satisfaction of finally unlocking the AK47 after having done at least 40 missions. The player isn't rewarded for his progression by cool weapons. The same goes with planes and sports cars.

WildBrick142

Yeah, the game is too easy. There is no punishment for mistakes, even getting wasted doesn't actually punish you enough. Then only thing closest to that is getting busted - you lose all ammo - but for that to happen you need to try REALLY hard.

On last-gen to make things a bit interesting, I played with brightness down, first person cam, no hud or radar which made it slightly more challenging and got me to take a more tactical approach knowing that I have no way of telling how much health or ammo I have (too bad health regeneration still works). On PC I did the same, except that I had first-person on everything now that it is an actual feature. If you can make it a goal, you could also throw in a bonus "delete on fail" approach, where you delete the save and restart game from the beginning if you fail. Adding mods that were linked above to increase the challenge even further can be a good idea too (if you're playing on PC).

IMO, next GTA needs a difficulty setting, or at least a toggle for health regeneration and mission checkpoints if these are going to return.

Edited by WildBrick142

Lethal Vaccine

Don't forget the DLC Vehicles and Weapons. Nice, a shiny new Sweeper. Didn't have to do anything for it, though, but use my Bandwidth and download an update that, mainly is for Online. But yeah, the Weapon Progression didn't make much sense. I am pretty sure you can also do the Shooting Range Challenges right after Franklin and Lamar Mission in the beginning of the game for a Starter Save...

I think Rockstar tried to improve the reward system for V because a lot of people complained about IV's lack of rewards. The problem with V's rewards is that they are more intrinsically tied to things like "how much money you have" and how far along you are in the game rather than specific rewards for specific milestones or missions.

San Andreas, Vice City, and VCS were heavily reward-based games. Volition is very good with rewards in their Saints Row games. Those games have massive amounts of awesome unlocks, milestone rewards, collections rewards, and on and on.

GTA III even back 15 years ago had amazing rewards. In fact, in some ways, Vice City felt like rewards were scaled back, even though they really weren't. I love unlocking all eleven weapons to every hideout with 100 HP's and firetruck missions in III. Infinite Run, powerups to the hideous, bribes, etc. III and other 3D Era GTA games feels like Rockstar wanted to really offer you a lot of rewards for specific things.

I honestly think that one of the negative side effects of Rockstar trying to make IV and V more "organic" and more immersive is that most of the cool things you get in the game are more tied to realistic kinds of things. Instead of Paramedic Level 12 unlocking Infinite Sprint, for instance, you have to keep exercising. Its more realistic. Less fun. You want better armor, you don't complete level 12 Paramedic missions, you just buy it.

Same for weapons upgrades, weapon availability, and such. I think Rockstar may be trying too hard to make HD Era games feel more like real life and they are losing the fun and excitement of that old school arcade-like feel of GAMES that reward you more directly for all the stupid sh*t you do.

Edited by ChiroVette

Lethal Vaccine

GTA III, despite not having "100% Rewards," still had "Rewards." Like once you deliver all the Emergency Vehicles to the Crane as well as the other Vehicles to the Garage at Portland Harbor and the Garage in Pike Creek in Shoreside Vale, you were able to go back there and use any of the Vehicles you delivered once all of them were brought for Import/Export. Imo, awesome feature and one that never happened again since GTA III. Another one is once you do 60 Vigilante Kills, 20 per Island, you were given 6 Police Bribes at the Safehouses which helped. Not only that, but you also got all the Weapons from a Bat and Pistol to an RPG always spawning at your Safehouses upon 100 Hidden Packages. You can have some fun with a Hooker and get 125 Health. You did the Firefighter Missions and given a Flamethrower once all 60 Fires were put out, 20 per Island. Do 100 Taxi Fares, get a Borgnine Taxi. Like, for everything you did, you got something. You do tons of sh*t in the HD Era, yet, get practically nothing...

There was no Infinite Ammo like in VC, SA, LCS, and VCS upon 100%, but once you finished III, you felt like you were given a LOT. This just isn't present in the HD Era...

Hell, you even get money for stealing Vehicles in III or crashing into them.

I can go on and on about how rewarding the 3D Era is and how boring the HD Era is for Rewards but I will stop here. But yeah, GTA V always was and always will be one of, if not THE easiest in the Series for 100%. Even the 100% Requirements are cut in half. 50 of this, but only need to do 25 for the Percentage. It's just bullsh*t if you ask me. When I redo my V Save in the coming months, I will be doing it ALL, every possible thing this damn game has to offer since I missed a lot of it when I did it for my first time back in 2013-14.

Edited by MetalMilitia89
  • Like 1

Misunderstood

Yeah, V's 100% list is so annoying to me. Only have to 25/50 stunt jumps to get the percentage and sh*t like that. It's kind of stupid and I can't put my thumb on why they did it. I mean, at least if they went SA's route and not had the Stunt Jumps count towards percentage at all, I'd be okay with it but the f*ck is the point of only doing 25 out of 50 jumps? Just like how I do "120%" when completing SA (doing bulgary, marathon runs, etc, sh*t that doesn't count towards 100%) I will be completing everything there is to do in V just because I like to complete everything.

• Like 1

WildBrick142

Don't forget the DLC Vehicles and Weapons. Nice, a shiny new Sweeper. Didn't have to do anything for it, though, but use my Bandwidth and download an update that, mainly is for Online. But yeah, the Weapon Progression didn't make much sense. I am pretty sure you can also do the Shooting Range Challenges right after Franklin and Lamar Mission in the beginning of the game for a Starter Save...

Right. I forgot about that. It became even worse when they unlocked all garages and hangars from the start. Having access to aircraft, fast cars, and high-end weapons from the start really ruined it. It's like they didn't care anymore. Thankfully, it's no longer a problem on current-gen, all new weapons are added to stores and not the inventory and vehicles have to be purchased from sites.

Like if older GTAs had challenging missions/objectives. (apart from the train mission from SA, that was really f*cked up)

The game is easy depending on HOW you play it.

V may be easy for the health regen, checkpoints, special abilities and such..

Good thing there is Health Regen because the bulletproof vest is weak so it's useful. (health regens slowly though..)

Special Abilities; They're useful too, Michael and Trevor both have great special abilities useful for shootouts or just having fun in FreeRoam. Franklin's special ability is useful for races, and to drive perfectly to not damage the car.

Checkpoints; (This is a reason why there are no "Fail Cutscenes") are a good thing too, because I hated when I would fail a mission and then do it AGAIN like nothing happened before.

Lethal Vaccine

Yeah, V's 100% list is so annoying to me. Only have to 25/50 stunt jumps to get the percentage and sh*t like that. It's kind of stupid and I can't put my thumb on why they did it. I mean, at least if they went SA's route and not had the Stunt Jumps count towards percentage at all, I'd be okay with it but the f*ck is the point of only doing 25 out of 50 jumps? Just like how I do "120%" when completing SA (doing bulgary, marathon runs, etc, sh*t that doesn't count towards 100%) I will be completing everything there is to do in V just because I like to complete everything.

Exactly. I don't get why they did that. If anything, do like in SA where, sure, there is 70 Stunt Jumps, but NOT required for 100%. But in V, they ARE required, but imo, it's best to do 50/50. 25/50 is just ridiculous. Same goes for LCS Mobile. Level 12? What's that? Now for LCS Mobile, all the R3 Missions are Level 9. I don't get why they decide to dumb things down as the Series progresses. They should learn from GTA III. When was the last time you saw an enemy walking around with a Flamethrower? Other than GTA III, there's been only one other instance where you go and save Louise from the Mendez House in VCS. The guy has a Flamethrower at the end of the Mission before you kill him. But seriously, the enemies barely have anything on them that can f*ck you up. A lot of standard Pistols, Uzis, and sh*t like that, but I miss the difficulty of III. Waka Gashira Wipeout? Awesome trying to kill Kenji with enemies holding M16's standing really close to you. Anyone who played III know how quick an M16 can tear your Vehicle apart, etc. Enemies carried these, like they did Flamethrowers, Shotguns, AK-47's, etc, etc. I don't get this same on the edge of my seat feeling from anything in V with the enemies and weapons...

Right. I forgot about that. It became even worse when they unlocked all garages and hangars from the start. Having access to aircraft, fast cars, and high-end weapons from the start really ruined it. It's like they didn't care anymore. Thankfully, it's no longer a problem on current-gen, all new weapons are added to stores and not the inventory and vehicles have to be purchased from sites.

I forgot about that...On later Patches for PS3/360, you were given the Interior Garages and Hangers, Helipads, Marina Docks, etc. Complete bullsh*t. If the game wasn't easy enough. We already got our hand held and everything given to us and now they want to give us all these places to store Vehicles for free, too? What do I need to work for in V at this point?!

Don't forget or stolen from the Street. I can't be bothered to actually take the Internet serious in GTA V and buying Vehicles...The only time I do it is for the percentage...Buy A Vehicle from Online....Part of the 100% Requirements. I buy a Helicopter I never use just for the percentage. I don't want said Helicopter active on the Helipad since I won't be able to store anything else there if it's active, so I "leave it" in the D-Pad. I just get the Skylift, Jetsam Cargobob, TPE Graffiti Cargobob, etc, etc, and store those on the Helipads...

So, was I the only one here who actually provided OP what he was looking for?

And I don't even hang around here that much often

Misunderstood

Well, I don't think any of the GTA games are hard but the 3D era at least had some challenging moments. IV and V are a breeze to play through.

Lethal Vaccine

For 100% Requirements, all of them are more or less quite easy, but there is other things to do like playing for speed, saving the game as least as possible, 0 Deaths/Busted/Cheats/Missions Failed, Special Vehicles...All of these aspects improve the challenging aspect of each GTA. It's up to the Player to dive in and try this stuff...

Its better than those annoying as f*ck missions in the 3D Era games (like Demolition Man or Wrong side of the Tracks).

Still a difficulty level wouldn't be bad.

Lethal Vaccine

Is that a myth? Wrong Side of the Tracks. I mean, it's not very hard to drive the Sanchez with Smoke a certain distance away from the Train with the Ballas on it. That's the problem, people think it's so hard cuz they can't pass it for some unknown reason. More times than not, it's as simple as moving a bit farther away from the Train while driving along side of it for Smoke to actually hit the Ballas. Drive to close? Smoke doesn't hit the Ballas which results in a Mission Failure. This is on the Player why they find it difficult and can't pass it. It all depends how far away/close you are to the Train. Demolition Man in Vice City is also a joke. 2002...14 years later, people are still naming such Mission as difficult. We've had Helicopter since 2002 in the Series. I'd expect these to be everyone's run of the mill type of Missions these days, 14 years later. Not sure why people find flying a Helicopter so difficult. RC Helicopter, Maverick, they are all the same. If you can fly one, you can fly the other. How hard is it to fly the RC Helicopter into the few goons chasing you around while you are given all the time in the world to plant the bombs at the Building Site?

Some of the things in which have gone down in history as being the "hardest" Missions in the Series are a joke to me in 2016. I mean, if I were 12 years old again, and this was 2001, you know, without the help from Youtube and the various Walkthroughs we have today, then I would agree, but there is SO much help these days and after the games being out for years, I'd imagine people found out why they were failing such Missions. It's usually User Error, not the actual game being difficult...

Something difficult I'd imagine would be an M-16 Headshot Only Rampage in GTA III using PS2's ultra sensitive analog to aim. Or the Sniper Rifle Headshot Only Rampages, etc, etc. These are way harder compared to your basic flying Mission like Demolition Man or your basic driving Mission like Wrong Side of the Tracks.

Misunderstood

I've never understood the difficulty with missions like Wrong Side of the Track or Demolition Man. Not me trying to sound cool or some sh*t, I just never understood the problem. Only time I ever failed Wrong Side of the Track was twice the first time I played it. And I figured on my own that I was just driving to close to the train and corrected myself. As for Demolition Man, passed that first try, no problem.

• Like 1

I've never understood the difficulty with missions like Wrong Side of the Track or Demolition Man. Not me trying to sound cool or some sh*t, I just never understood the problem. Only time I ever failed Wrong Side of the Track was twice the first time I played it. And I figured on my own that I was just driving to close to the train and corrected myself. As for Demolition Man, passed that first try, no problem.

Wrong Side of the Tracks isn't difficult. Nothing in San Andreas or any GTA game really is. The beauty of GTA is that Rockstar generally puts so much variety and depth into the games that there doesn't need to be anything that is so hard that it slows you down and stops you from finishing the game so fast that you feel cheated. With GTA games, even if you manage to go through an entire 0% to 100% campaign without failing a single mission EVER you are still in for many hours of play.

What I like about "GTA difficulty" versus the difficulty of games reputed to be very difficult is that there is enough challenge in the tasks that if you get caught napping, you can fail it and just have to retry.

Take Wrong Side of the Tracks, for instance. Is there anything in that which is absurdly hard that the gamer is required to have some inordinate amount of skill or dexterity to pass? Nope. But if your sweaty finger slips off the analog stick or you for whatever reason hit a tree or accidentally crash into the train one or two times, its also easy to fail.

One or two of the Chilliad bicycle races can seem hard, but even they aren't. But I can see why some people might have trouble if they have no cycling skills in the game or cycle like a maniac rather than slowing down. Some of the San Andreas racing club missions can be failed if you make a couple of wrong turns or fall behind.

Again, is anything in the game "hard" in the sense that you want to throw your controller out the window? No. But there is enough skill required that failing things is easy at times.

So, was I the only one here who actually provided OP what he was looking for?

And I don't even hang around here that much often

Yeah you were the only one :^: i would like to help the OP but i don't know how to make this +3 game have the difficulty of a +17 game