3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Red Dead Redemption 2 General Chat

cp1dell

Damn, just built my new PC (3700X, 2060 Super--waiting on 3070 through EVGA Step-Up) and holy crap RDR2 has amazing lighting. I mean, it already had amazing lighting to begin with, but I've been playing on console equivalent settings since I first bought the game since I was already content with the visuals, but at 60FPS. But damn, with Lighting Quality set to High or Ultra at nighttime, looks incredible in towns. The lighting and shading is completely different!

I've bumped up every setting one notch from its' console equivalent, as well as setting Frame Scaling to 1.25 so everything is super sharp. Meaning hair looks great too. Hangs between 65-75, but I keep it locked at 60FPS and there being no dips when riding around anymore, or when in shootouts, is fantastic. What an amazing looking game.

Only thing I still have off is Soft Shadows, because no matter what setting it's at, they look terrible. I wonder why Rockstar dropped support for AMD CHS or Nvidia PCSS.

Edited by cp1dell
  • Like 3

Is it only me or did RDR seem more intertwined? I mean in RDR you could ride around and meet people that belonged to certain places, people who told camp stories about other people, on the cemetery you could find family members of other people etc etc. Since RDR2 is larger, the feeling of "a common history and culture" feels a little lost.. Is it only me that has this feeling?

• Like 2
RyuNova

Spoilers for the Saint-Denis chapter of Story Mode.

Spoiler

People were shocked over Dutch murdering Bronte in cold blood but the more I play the game the more I agree with Dutch. Bronte was a slimy arrogant little f*ck who thought he was better than the "peasants". All Dutch did at first was ask for Jack back, any decent person would not have used a child as a pawn but no...Bronte did and he thought he was better than everyone else. Dutch and the gang dismantled his entire operation. Dutch drowning him with his hands around his throat was the greatest insult he could give. The "untouchable" mobster.

It's also funny that the first conversation Bronte has with Dutch is saying that they stink and hes showing "compassion by allowing them to breath in his presence" and in the end Dutch drowns him.

Edited by RyuNova
  • Like 4
Cutter De Blanc
7 hours ago, RyuNova said:

Spoilers for the Saint-Denis chapter of Story Mode.

Hide contents

People were shocked over Dutch murdering Bronte in cold blood but the more I play the game the more I agree with Dutch. Bronte was a slimy arrogant little f*ck who thought he was better than the "peasants". All Dutch did at first was ask for Jack back, any decent person would not have used a child as a pawn but no...Bronte did and he thought he was better than everyone else. Dutch and the gang dismantled his entire operation. Dutch drowning him with his hands around his throat was the greatest insult he could give. The "untouchable" mobster.

It's also funny that the first conversation Bronte has with Dutch is saying that they stink and hes showing "compassion by allowing them to breath in his presence" and in the end Dutch drowns him.

I was quite a bit more shocked when he shot Leviticus Cornwall in the head the first time he meets him. I absolutely love how Dutch goes up against these big shot callers and he just kills them if they stand in his way, no f*cks given, doesnt matter how f*cking big they think their money makes them. It reminds me of his raw savagery in the first game.

Edited by Cutter De Blanc
  • Like 4
Taterman

I was in Annesberg and noticed that when the trains pull under the building that goes over the tracks, coal comes out of the chute from above and fills the train cars. Amazing detail.

• Like 1
cp1dell

So eating stew at camp after bringing an animal to Pearson gives you a gold health core.

Sleeping in your bed at camp gives you a gold stamina core.

Not counting crafted items, are there any scenarios like the above two that give you a gold dead eye core?

• Like 2
Cutter De Blanc

I timed it out with a Stopwatch,  it took me exactly 15 minutes to do the Angelo Bronte glitch from the point you push X on the mission replay screen, but I could probably do it in 10

On 11/12/2020 at 7:35 PM, cp1dell said:

So eating stew at camp after bringing an animal to Pearson gives you a gold health core.

Sleeping in your bed at camp gives you a gold stamina core.

Not counting crafted items, are there any scenarios like the above two that give you a gold dead eye core?

I think if you give herbs to miss grimshaw or get the rabbit for Pearson one of those will make the stew give a gold deadeye core in addition to the gold health core

• Like 3
cp1dell
3 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I think if you give herbs to miss grimshaw or get the rabbit for Pearson one of those will make the stew give a gold deadeye core in addition to the gold health core

Damn, missed my chance than. Next play through I guess

Cutter De Blanc

Love some of the understated crazy ass sh*t Dutch does, like during Horsemen, Apocalypses when the O'Driscolls attack and dude just fires up the f*cking phonograph,  starts blasting his Opera music, like total psychological mindf*ck to the enemy,  this dude is unhinged

• Like 4
On 11/14/2020 at 7:27 PM, Cutter De Blanc said:

I think if you give herbs to miss grimshaw (..) will make the stew give a gold deadeye core in addition to the gold health core

This doesn't change anything in stew's quality.

Cutter De Blanc
1 hour ago, Kubigz said:

This doesn't change anything in stew's quality.

Well something is giving me a gold deadeye core when I have the stew

• 3 weeks later...
Tails Prower

So Tails here is a touch confused.

I downloaded the Red Dead Online game at the 75% discount and it shows the game has installed on my PS5 but is not giving the option to play but I also have a Free Trial game of Red Dead Redemption II, can anyone give me info about this?

Presume I have to play this first before I can play the standalone online game?

The Shakermaker

I was looking at old west photos and no one seems to be wearing union suits. Were they only ever worn historically as undergarments and as nightwear? 

Nutduster

Started replaying tonight. This will only be my second playthrough, though my first was really slow and immersive. Expecting the second to go much the same. I really love this game. Echoing a common complaint here, but it's a bummer that the profitability of the Onlines (particularly GTA Online) pulled Rockstar away from updating story mode for RDR2. I would have loved to have had more of this world to experience. But I'm grateful to get what we got. The game is still amazing.

• Like 4
El Diablo 702
3 minutes ago, Nutduster said:

Started replaying tonight. This will only be my second playthrough, though my first was really slow and immersive. Expecting the second to go much the same. I really love this game. Echoing a common complaint here, but it's a bummer that the profitability of the Onlines (particularly GTA Online) pulled Rockstar away from updating story mode for RDR2. I would have loved to have had more of this world to experience. But I'm grateful to get what we got. The game is still amazing.

Gta never got the story dlc we were promised either, expecting a dlc for rdr2 was a long shot at best.  As I’ve said before if you want more content for rdr2 story just buy it again on next gen just like they did with gta.  This game is only about 50% of what it was supposed to be but R* needed a cash grab.  Just look up all the cut/removed content.  

• Like 2
Taterman
5 hours ago, El Diablo 702 said:

Gta never got the story dlc we were promised either, expecting a dlc for rdr2 was a long shot at best.  As I’ve said before if you want more content for rdr2 story just buy it again on next gen just like they did with gta.  This game is only about 50% of what it was supposed to be but R* needed a cash grab.  Just look up all the cut/removed content.  

I hope your right. I can't get enough of the game.

• Like 1
TexasOdysseus

Ditto. I *really* wish we had a DLC and added story content for RDR2. 

As amazed as I am and continue to be at this game and the depth, detail, and nuanced storylines, I'm baffled why they wouldn't have templated a DLC from the beginning, given all the wide-ranging stories and angles for any number of storylines. 

Their obsession with online isn't surprising since they want to monetize it, but not having a standalone DLC is stupefying to me.

• Like 2
Jabalous
On 12/8/2020 at 5:02 AM, Nutduster said:

I'm on the same boat as I started a 2nd playthrough two days ago, only this time with the physical game instead of the digital version that I lost for a..... reason. It's a Story game and it's what draws me in, unlike the Online world. There, I'm only interested in the story content which, I hope, will be updated with fresh content.

Edited by Jabalous
  • Like 2
Jeansowaty

I was looking at videos of the stranger missions of this game and I have to say, some that hit me in the feels were Marko Dragić, Andrew Bell III and Evelyn Miller. Rockstar still didn't lose touch with their stories, while most strangers were not as dark as in the first game, these sorta were. I mean, you know that's great writing when you feel bad for an objectively bad person. Sorry for spoilers, but in the first one

Spoiler

I kinda felt weird when I saw the robot muttering "Papa..." to himself. As if he had regrets that he killed his father, his creator. Then he is left there, all alone on top of a mountain, rusting in the snow.

Sad af. In the second one,

Spoiler

I really related to the criminal. He was crying ffs, I don't think he deserved such a harsh punishment. Rockstar really nailed the sympathy towards the guy, and the final moment where he just utters "Somebody please shoot me..." and collapses in pain and suffering... man legit, I felt so broken after seeing that.

I'm overall a really sensitive guy as well, therefore the encounter with

Spoiler

Evelyn Miller was somewhat relatable. A broken, misunderstood writer/artist, trying to live by a moral code built on nature, that's very relatable to me, being a guy who always seeks harmony, moral consistency and peace. And the best thing ever, he was such a big influence on Dutch that he even quoted him before his suicide. I always admired the last speech by Dutch and I felt even happier knowing that such a similar guy to me came up with them. I don't really respect how he starved himself to death, but I kinda understand it, having suicidal thoughts and other issues myself. I do respect however the way John respected his last will.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
HeyThereFriend

When did they make it so every member in camp thinks Arthur is wearing clothing not suitable for cold/average weather even when he is wearing clothing suitable? They even do it in Clemens Point when it's 80 degrees and they still say I'm gonna freeze.

TheJesus1996
17 hours ago, HeyThereFriend said:

When did they make it so every member in camp thinks Arthur is wearing clothing not suitable for cold/average weather even when he is wearing clothing suitable? They even do it in Clemens Point when it's 80 degrees and they still say I'm gonna freeze.

It's a bug from the latest patch 

HeyThereFriend
5 hours ago, TheJesus1996 said:

It's a bug from the latest patch 

Ah thanks, nice to see them still breaking single player even after all this time.

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1
Cutter De Blanc

Playing Cyberpunk gives me a profound appreciation for the world of red dead, was moseying on my horse in the rain and at the bottom of a random hill the rain had pooled into a puddle, but there were no puddles on the side of the hill and it was all just very natural looking, and I cant imagine the resources it takes just to do something so mundane, not to mention a hustling bustling city like Saint Denis, meanwhile Cyberpunk struggles to do the bare minimum with barely functioning anything, but hey it looks nice, but  

I mean so does Red Dead. 

• Like 5
cp1dell

Has anybody figured out what Medium vs High TAA does?

I've always assumed that the blur on High would be more intense (assuming you're not playing with at least 1.75 Frame Scaling or 2.0/4K, which the high res negates TAA blur removing the need for sharpening), but I've heard it helps disable with the "trails" that small animals like rabbits and squirrels leave when you have TAA on. But that's all I've heard.

JB1982
On 12/30/2020 at 4:28 AM, HeyThereFriend said:

So glad this hasn't been happening to just me! Been scratching my head wondering where I was going wrong!

• Like 1
ten-a-penny

I asked this over in Reddit and I'll ask here: what features and whatnot will I lose if I "downgrade" over to the 1.00 patch? I really wanna use the New Austin/Blackwater glitch to obtain everything obtainable at the start of the game but obviously I can't at the moment.

• Like 1