3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Xbox 360 keeps freezing.

burncape

So I got my Xbox 360 as a lil' gift, But guess what? It freezes, It freezes on almost all games I try, Like GTA V! Here's some information of the console, The Xbox 360 is a elite, (not the new Elite, the black one) And no, It's not connected to the internetz, I always play GTA V on it, So guys, Help me fix this problem.

Sounds like you're about to experience the ill-fated RROD. That's usually what starts happening before it goes.

The Slim model was the only one that benefited from avoiding the RROD because it had a single APU chip. The phat version was plagued by cheap lead-free solder and two separate chips for the GPU and CPU, so it would eventually overheat, bend the board, and then sever the solder points from the chip.

He has one of the Elite versions of the 360, so his comes with an APU as well.

There's nothing you can do about it unfortunately, unless you still have warranty on it and can return it. Does it freeze right away or after some usage? I have an Elite too and it heats up like a motherf*cker during intense games such as GTA V (seriously, you could probably fry some eggs on it). Still, I think I have only encountered one freeze so far (might have been GTA V) but it is otherwise a highly reliable system.

He has one of the Elite versions of the 360, so his comes with an APU as well.

The Elite models were phat black consoles. The next generation was the "S" slim series (Trinity & Corona mobos), and those were the ones with APU's. Here's an image of an Elite motherboard:

4515_large_360_elite_mobo.jpg

Edited by X S

Sounds like you're about to experience the ill-fated RROD. That's usually what starts happening before it goes.

The Slim model was the only one that benefited from avoiding the RROD because it had a single APU chip. The phat version was plagued by cheap lead-free solder and two separate chips for the GPU and CPU, so it would eventually overheat, bend the board, and then sever the solder points from the chip.

My xbox experienced the RROD when I was playing GTA IV, Turned out to be a general hardware failure, Also here's a picture of the xbox.o7YJkCw.jpg

Yep.

If you feel comfortable with opening it up, you could do what's called a reflow by heating up the board in an attempt to reestablish the solder points, and then you'll want to reinforce the heatsinks with bolts and nuts, not those sh*tty x-clamps they give you. There's a ton of tutorial videos on YouTube.

It may or may not work, but it's worth a try. The 360 was probably one of the worst and poorly designed cases in terms of managing heat. That's why the XB1 looks the way it does. It may look like a VCR, but there's no chance in hell it will suffer from overheating.

Edited by X S

Yep.

If you feel comfortable with opening it up, you could do what's called a reflow by heating up the board in an attempt to reestablish the solder points, and then you'll want to reinforce the heatsinks with bolts and nuts, not those sh*tty x-clamps they give you. There's a ton of tutorial videos on YouTube.

It may or may not work, but it's worth a try. The 360 was probably one of the worst and poorly designed cases in terms of managing heat. That's why the XB1 looks the way it does. It may look like a VCR, but there's no chance in hell it will suffer from overheating.

Also, Yes, The console is able to play pirate games, (please don't call the cops) also my xbox is in need of a cooling pad right? Because my roommate did some tests here in my home, He tried playing without the Hard Disk and also playing it with a fan on it's behind.

Edited by burncape

I'm pretty sure you are f*cked no matter what when you start getting the general hardware failure error. Also, it's not a good idea to boast about pirating GTA games on a GTA themed forum.

I'm pretty sure you are f*cked no matter what when you start getting the general hardware failure error. Also, it's not a good idea to boast about pirating GTA games on a GTA themed forum.

oh sh*t