1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Will the Katana ever return as a weapon?

CF Punk

CF Punk

The Katana has appeared in Vice City, San Andreas, GTA: Advance, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. As soon as GTA jumped into the HD universe though it has seemingly disappeared from the series' weapon arsenal.

What gives? Was there a specific reason why the Katana was removed from the game and I somehow missed it? We have every other manner for violent melee weapon so the Katana's absence strikes me as rather odd.

I'd be thrilled to see this weapon return. It was so fun to use back in the day.

qhZLAFN.jpg

• Like 9
Femme Fatale

I hope so, the decapitation animation(hey, that rhymes) would look fabulous in modern graphics...

• Like 6
CF Punk

We need a katana and a chainsaw. Imagine that sh*t in the HD era.

Oh yeah! I forgot about the chainsaw. See? This is why we need a Vice City themed DLC. I'm not saying the actual city itself, but throwback stuff from Vice City added to the game like clothing, cars, weapons etc.

Payne Killer

They tried the hawaian shirts in V for Michael but his dumbass isnt cool enough to pull it off.

• Like 10
CF Punk

They tried the hawaian shirts in V for Michael but his dumbass isnt cool enough to pull it off.

They had the on from Max Payne that was ok, but I want the classic Vercetti buttoned up, open at the neck shirt. That's an easy add for them too.

• Like 1
Femme Fatale

The Katana should be an optional tool for torture missions.

Nah, I want to use it outside of missions too...
ROCKSTAR MANIC

Finally ! Im not the only one that wants this. R* Make it happen.

Uncle Vlad

Hell yeah, I want to pull off some serious samurai sh*t. A naginata would be cool too, but that´s probably too much to ask for. Way too big for a melee weapon in a GTA game.

• Like 2
Ivan1997GTA

As much as I'd love to cut someone with a Katana in the HD universe, I'm afraid we're probably not going to see it as a weapon in the future games, only pushed into the background as a prop or something, like most shows do with the minor characters, like the Simpsons & the Fairly OddParents. The Katana is like the Chuck Cunningham of GTA weapons.

• Like 1
Guest Guest176525326

I would rather have a chainsaw than the Katana.

I wish Rockstar would have included one inside Trevor's trailer, he could have used it to kill Johnny - now that would have been a sight.

donnits

Without dismemberment, I don't see a reason for katanas and chainsaws. I didn't care for them in the 3D era either.

DimitriFaustin

Only way I could see this happening is if the Yakuza made a comeback. But, eh, why not give it a shot?

Mac Tonight

This isn't a melee weapon, but I REALLY want a flamethrower in the new games.

• Like 4
Femme Fatale

This isn't a melee weapon, but I REALLY want a flamethrower in the new games.

+1000, the burning flesh graphics would look fabulous...
  • Like 1

No. Because GTA's in HD era are becoming more anti-mayhem and anti-fun due to the whole "grounded in realism" sh*t being thrown around by many players who want everything to "makes sense" for the character they are roleplaying, otherwise you'll be slapped with the "12 year old" tag from the so called "mature audience" who can't even stomach a simple and fun item called jetpack.

I think R* ( and even players, mainly IV fans ) really wants GTA to feel as realistic as possible, and that's the sad thing. Even how the ESRB game ratings works could also likely be a reason but I find it unfair anyways to target only GTA as opposed to other games for its depiction of violence.

Fuzzknuckles

Maybe?

I don't think anyone can really honestly answer this, but I think it'd be good to have it back.

PhillBellic

As much as I'd love to cut someone with a Katana in the HD universe, I'm afraid we're probably not going to see it as a weapon in the future games, only pushed into the background as a prop or something, like most shows do with the minor characters, like the Simpsons & the Fairly OddParents. The Katana is like the Chuck Cunningham of GTA weapons.

Hello, Troper. :p

To the question, it's a Weapon that I do not miss, to be frank. If it returns, then good for it. :^:

• Like 1
Guest Guest176525326

No. Because GTA's in HD era are becoming more anti-mayhem and anti-fun due to the whole "grounded in realism" sh*t being thrown around by many players who want everything to "makes sense" for the character they are roleplaying, otherwise you'll be slapped with the "12 year old" tag from the so called "mature audience" who can't even stomach a simple and fun item called jetpack.

I think R* ( and even players, mainly IV fans ) really wants GTA to feel as realistic as possible, and that's the sad thing. Even how the ESRB game ratings works could also likely be a reason but I find it unfair anyways to target only GTA as opposed to other games for its depiction of violence.

Bla bla bla. Can you even post a single time without you mentioning IV?!

What? My post was meant as a bit of reflection on what I've been reading throughout about people's expectations for future installments, and a select few in quotes ( as mentioned above in my post ) are an example of them, and so I don't think the fault lies entirely with me. I'll stop mentioning about the things when people also stop repeating how they want to see the game grounded in realism like IV than the over the top SA style jetpacks and such unrealistic elements in GTA.

I personally value fun over realism. Realism is best suited when it improves any of the existing gameplay systems, and not by removing fun cheats and other stuff like jetpack, katana, flamethrower or chainsaw just because they are silly, over the top and not very realistic for character like Niko or serves no purpose in the story line of the game, etc..

Fuzzknuckles

stuff like jetpack, katana, flamethrower or chainsaw just because they are silly, over the top and not very realistic for character like Niko or serves no purpose in the story line of the game, etc..

The only one of those I'd consider "silly" is the jetpack.

• Like 6
Algonquin Assassin

The irony of this post is most of the people who have posted in this thread that would love to see the Katana back are GTA IV fans.

Anyway I wouldn't mind seeing the Katana back aswell as the meat clever, screw driver etc. However I think to justify the Katana's inclusion fully there'd have to be decapitation of some sort.

Whether R* go that far with the HD era we don't know, but it'd be awesome to see.

EDIT: Moved to GTA Next forum.

• Like 6
Uncle Vlad

Now I´m confused. I thought the IV fans are a small disgruntled minority and V is so much different from IV because there was a huge backlash, so many people hated it etc. So why should R* give a sh*t about what a minority of frustrated and humourless IV fans want? And why do most of the mean IV fans with their strange realism fetish love the 3D era games, at least one of them? And why do I continually read IV fan´s posts saying that not every GTA game has to be dark and gritty? They must be strange people, those IV fans, because there are lots of unanswered questions...

Or is this just an additional proof that you can´t make a post without mentioning IV and/or its fans in a negative light?

Edited by Uncle Vlad
  • Like 8

Now I'm confused.

Because you are being selective in highlighting a particular thing while disregarding 99% of the post that doesn't mention explicitly that only IV fans want - but I do find "players who want" and "people's expectations for future installments" in general DO oppose such things in game for reasons I already listed.

"Players / People " can belong to any GTA they consider to be the favorite but I'm taking about the "direction" that many seem to support anti-SA style, and prefer the experiences ( in future ) to be more "grounded in realism" and less sillyness in tone. There might be some SA fans, too, that belong to such a group of "players / people". It could be any GTA fan.

The fact you and few others are getting upset over my post goes to show that you ( IV fans ) guys seem more "vocal" about wishing R* to follow such a direction.

I thought the IV fans are a small disgruntled minority. So why should R* give a sh*t about what a minority of frustrated and humourless IV fans want?

Like I explained above, I didn't mention about IV fans, except the statement you highlighted in which I said "mainly", and not "only" and even spoke that it seems Rockstar also wants their games as realistic as possible, so where does this question about listening to what a minority of IV fans want come from?

Rockstar listens to what "players / people" in general, and customer feedback to their games, want to share their opinions, irrespective of whether you are a IV fan or not.

E:typo.

Edited by Osho
Rhoda

I hope so, though I don't think any of the characters in V would look even remotely comfortable wielding one;

Franklin would look like one of those kids raised on Bebo and frequent visits to the mall alone. Frustrated and emotionally crippled from the lack of likes on his LifeInvader page, I feel like if I saw Franklin awkwardly waving a katana about he'd be one bad haircut away from being one of those mall ninja freaks. Michael on the other hand is so rooted in middle age anguish he may as well be wearing a T-shirt that says "you're only as old as the woman you feel" whilst he displays the katana proudly above his roaring fireplace. The only protagonist who I could even imagine using one is Trevor, and even then I don't think katanas are his style. He goes in a more "chew these thumbtacks or I'll slit your throat" direction. You can't really exclude certain protagonists from using weapons either, people playing these games already kick off over the slightest thing. Imagine if you took away Michael's right to wave a katana in a rich woman's face? Keyboard warriors would have a thromboembolism.

Having said that, I loved the katana in the games, and I know neither character that can use them actually looks the part, but for a game like V that seems to pride itself on being a realistic and immersive experience, I'm not surprised it was omitted.

• Like 5
Sentinel Driver

Katana would most likely be similar to the machete with some different animations

Flamethrower? Nothing special, we already have plenty of ways to start fires.