2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Journey_95

Will there ever be a GTA like this again?

Osho

@ Mr. F

When did I deny?

As always, silly attempt on your part to deflect the attention and blame from the comments coming from this section that often try to target kids in terms of what they want to enjoy and prefer based on the choices they make in any game outside IV, but don't find IV itself to be absolutely shallow with hardly anything to differentiate it, in choices available in other games. But more in common with games that you and others often believe to offer what kids prefer as fun.

Amazing. I'm sure you will be rewarded soon with good amount of likes too, but you're not trying to fool any one here.

SA has a lot more to offer, which I don't find necessary to explain. Its a game that appeals to every body unlike what some fans keep on harping about IV as a game that kids hate because they're not mature enough to play it.

E:typo.

Edited by Osho

slimeball supreme

No.

Jtc3nFK.jpg

how do i even respond to this

Edited by Mr. Fahrenheit

AuSsIeThUnDeR36

The question is if we are going to have another gta like IV again and this argument comparing IV to SA isn't helping. One is HD era, one is 3D era, different universes, end of story.

With GTA V, I look back at that first trailer and how similar in appearance gameplay wise it feels and looks like IV mechanics, especially the car chase segment with the police car slide around the corner. What happened? If V had gameplay like IV then I definitely would have been a convert and moved on to V. All they had to do was take IV mechanics and gameplay, make the map and it would have been great. IV is a game that a lot of us have loved from day one. I did try to enjoy V but it's not fair that you can just be on a walk somewhere, trip on a curb then die instantly. Trying to find a health pack or armor that's miles away. That's not a fun game, it's a chore and boring. I really hope they don't just use V gameplay mechanics and make VI map and leave it as is. It will be just tacky, cheap and copy pasted. It will be an abomination that will leave a sour taste in everyone's mouth. Cheap copy pasted game for a quick buck in R* pocket.

Algonquin Assassin

The reason why many enjoy ( strictly, from gameplay standpoint ) Niko and other antics the game has to offer not because of the exceptional quality of the content but due to their technical side, to graphics or physics making it easy to give up the cartoony era.

Bowling is the most silly thing to enjoy in a video game, and what some members believe about what kids prefer, then such boring past times like bowling, QUB3D and other things that does nothing to advance the series nor fun, but forced upon the players to spend time due to lack of interesting choices that reduced GTA to social simulator with boring friends actually seems more childish in nature that probably only kids would find so great to play for a game like GTA, and esp., after spending so much time playing their predecessors.

I would rather go bowling with Roman then go get drunk with him and listen to his drunken ramblings than those silly RC races from the 3D era.;)

Sorry, but from this point on I just can't take your points seriously anymore. It's the same circus act you've been using in the GTA V forum for last three years just with GTA IV and GTA V swapped around.

I wonder how many people you've actually convinced that San Andreas is really the so called "king"? Probably zilch.

Oh btw another point that was left out of the census results chest beating....HD era > 3D era.

Osho

I never implied nor said anything about SA being king? Lol..

No worries. Taken seriously or not, I'm not used to make points trying to be over the top crowd-pleaser with constant praise about how IV made me want to stop playing SA with its exceptionally great qualities and advances in the open world genre no other game managed to achieve in the past 15 years.

Algonquin Assassin

Actually you made a thread in the San Andreas forum the other day other after the census results, gloating and deeming it the "king" before the thread was merged.;)

Osho

I meant in relation to my post that you and Mr. F earlier quoted which was not about SA being king ( or better than IV ) or not, but pertaining to the subject about targeting kids and judging their preferences based on other games in comparison to IV, and mainly, what gives anyone right to decide whether they're mature to play IV or not, or even assuming IV as a mature game to begin with, and as a retort I answered with what I could think about the same.

Also, yes. I did make a topic but not to exactly bash IV, but with my surprise when I found out the result that I almost never expected.

Its getting off topic, and before OP blames me any further, kindly discuss the topic at hand. No personal remarks, please.

The Rockstar Gamer 108

As I read in IGN, there are very very less chances of a gta to be in Liberty City again.

R* says HELL NO for LC.

Edited by DIze

O.Z

Yet according to the same census GTA IV trumped R*'s new baby and Niko trumped every protagonist as being the most favourite among fans. Funny that you leave those details out..

SA trumped even in the category of antagonists, leaving Dimitri miles behind Frank Tenpenny, and I'm sure IV would fail in nearly every other category.

Niko's popularity isn't surprising at all. He won mainly because of how the new generation thinks about 3D era characters ( cartoony and delivered with no cinematic flair! ), unlike the early generation often finds no fancy cutscenes necessary to find them interesting and appealing, but judge and weigh the qualities depending on various parameters.

In fact, the census proves that Niko ( including Dimitri ) clearly lacks the spark and comes off way too weak to carry and lead the game on his shoulders to the path of victory for majority of the fans, despite the unanimous praise made for his character. Such a victory is often seen as a bigger shame and embarassment in my opinion, no matter the defenders of IV try their best to hide this truth, and the sole fact that many of those who chose Niko didn't find IV suitable to earn the top spot by a huge margin, clearly answers this topic that we'll never see nor people interested in playing another flop title like IV.

Wow.

You best stay away from the GTA IV section, cos you are coming across as a true hater.

I don't think that anyone even takes you seriously anymore.

@ OP, I dont think there ever will be another mature GTA like IV was...

Edited by O.Z

Algonquin Assassin

Also, yes. I did make a topic but not to exactly bash IV, but with my surprise when I found out the result that I almost never expected.

I wasn't. If GTA III, VCS etc came out on top I would've been as those games don't really get talked about a lot, but San Andreas winning wasn't a shocker to me as from my experience on the forum San Andreas haters aren't that common.

But to get back on topic and still regarding the census poll I don't really get why you're rubbing it into GTA IV's nose so hard when it still beat out GTA V and Vice City.

If anything it proves what I said that in this forum atleast GTA IV is a lot more popular among hardcore GTA fans than you give it credit for. The resurgence of interest the last few years reflects that.

Of course the census results are hardly the be all that ends all, but if GTA IV was truly the "flop" you say it is then that should've been reflected too.

Quite frankly Niko winning the favourite protagonist poll brings a smile to my face not only because Niko's such a great character and deserves it, but it pisses off the haters and gets under their skin judging by some comments in the census thread. Just beautiful.:)

HaythamKenway

Real flops don't even generate sizable following among the hardcore fanbase. How many Mass Effect 3 fans are there in the Mass Effect fanbase? Ghosts fans in the CoD fanbase? Absolution fans in the Hitman fanbase? Etc.

IV is not exceptionally popular among the mainstream/casual fans (aka - fans who don't go out of their way to sign up on a dedicated GTA forum and argue about the games for hours and hours) and the general reception for V reflects that, but it's far from being an universally hated title. It's actually much better off than many other "love it or hate it" games like AC III, MGS V or SR IV, especially with the renaissance of the fandom that took place after V came out and people realized that maybe, hey, there was more to this game than they thought.

Misunderstood

The reason why many enjoy ( strictly, from gameplay standpoint ) Niko and other antics the game has to offer not because of the exceptional quality of the content but due to their technical side, to graphics or physics making it easy to give up the cartoony era.

Bowling is the most silly thing to enjoy in a video game, and what some members believe about what kids prefer, then such boring past times like bowling, QUB3D and other things that does nothing to advance the series nor fun, but forced upon the players to spend time due to lack of interesting choices that reduced GTA to social simulator with boring friends actually seems more childish in nature that probably only kids would find so great to play for a game like GTA, and esp., after spending so much time playing their predecessors.

Lol, stop trying to state f*cked up reasons people like IV. People like it for many reasons. Its plot that sh*ts all over SA's ( :beerhat: ), the small details that bring the city to the life, the friends/girlfriends system that is way better than the one-liners CJ spoke when out with his girlfriends, the beautiful weapons sounds, the great driving, the city, the characters, the protagonist and there are plenty of other reasons. Graphics and physics are just some of the things great about IV. In my eyes, IV did advance the series. No other GTA before had that much detail, that much dialogue, or that well-designed of a plot.

You hate the phone system and hanging out with friends in IV and V? Guess what, I enjoy it. If you find GTA IV boring and not fun then there is nothing I can do to change your opinion. But I have no idea why you waste your time on this forum spewing out nonsense on an 8 year old game that you seem to strongly dislike.

Osho

@ O.Z -

I'm simply sharing my opinion about IV, doesn't mean I hate the game.

Several people from this section like to ( or used to ) wander around V section, too, to share their opinions about the game and what they think about V in comparison to their holy masterpiece, a.k.a., the legendary GTA IV.

But does that mean they all hate ( or hated ) GTA V?

OT: I don't know about GTA but I would be surely happy to see another open world title with a realistic, serious approach tackled by a different developer. Kingdom Come Deliverance is one such promising first-person, realistic ( but an RPG ) title set in an open world.

woggleman

IV is a cult classic that I believe will grow in status over the years but by the time people started realizing it actually is a great game V development was way underway and it was too late to start from scratch. You simply can't blame a company for changing course after that kind of backlash. When you make something that a very loud and sizable amount of fans seem to hate no smart developer will do the same kind of thing over again. I know most of you love IV and so do I but the general public forced R's hand. I also think there will be a lot of revisionism about how much IV was hated the first few years it was out. People will act like it was beloved from the start.

I think the next GTA should be similar to Vice City in that it has a gritty side and is about the criminal underground but is flashy and colorful enough to satisfy the masses. That way everybody is happy or is that an impossible dream?

Edited by woggleman

Shakermaker

IV and V are both recognized as great games but in different styles. Are you trying to tell me that IV is the underdog because it's the serious one? I don't think so. There are lots of casuals fans who love GTA IV.

The thing is: you can't repeat yourself that much. After several games with a dark tone it was time for R* to do something more enlightened. It doesn't mean that people can't handle with a dark tone and that there will never ever be another dark-tone-GTA. Just open your mind and be patient.

Masketta Man

IV is a cult classic that I believe will grow in status over the years but by the time people started realizing it actually is a great game V development was way underway and it was too late to start from scratch. You simply can't blame a company for changing course after that kind of backlash. When you make something that a very loud and sizable amount of fans seem to hate no smart developer will do the same kind of thing over again. I know most of you love IV and so do I but the general public forced R's hand. I also think there will be a lot of revisionism about how much IV was hated the first few years it was out. People will act like it was beloved from the start.

I think the next GTA should be similar to Vice City in that it has a gritty side and is about the criminal underground but is flashy and colorful enough to satisfy the masses. That way everybody is happy or is that an impossible dream?

From wikpedia:

SALES

Within twenty-four hours of its release, Grand Theft Auto IV sold over 3.6 million copies, equating to approximately $310 million in revenue.[122]Within a week, it generated more than $500 million in worldwide revenue, equating to approximately 6 million copies sold for Take Two.[123][124][g] The numbers surpassed analysts' expectations for the title.[126][127][128] After one month of availability, the game had sold over 8.5 million copies.[129] It broke three Guinness World Records on 13 May 2008: highest grossing video game in 24 hours, highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours, and fastest-selling video game in 24 hours.[130][h] On 11 March 2011, Take-Two announced that the game had sold over 20 million copies, with the Grand Theft Auto series surpassing a collective total of 100 million copies.[132] As of July 2013, the game has sold over 25 million copies.[133] All sales records broken by Grand Theft Auto IV were beaten by its successor, Grand Theft Auto V, upon release.[134]

In the United Kingdom, the game became the fastest-selling game of all time, selling over 631,000 copies in twenty-four hours.[135][136] This broke the record set by Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas at 501,000 copies over the same period.[137] During the first five days of availability, the game sold over 927,000 copies in the United Kingdom.[138][139] Over the same period, 2.85 million units were sold in the United States.[140] By the end of 2008, the game had sold over 5.18 million copies in the US.[141] In its first four days of availability in Japan, it sold 133,000 copies on the PlayStation 3 and 34,000 on the Xbox 360, according to Media Create.[142]

In the first week of availability, the Windows version of Grand Theft Auto IV debuted at seventh place on the weekly charts;[143] by the second week, it had left the top-ten.[144][145] Based on unique user counts, the game was the most played Games for Windows – Live game in 2009 and 2012, and the second-most played in 2011.[146]

AWARDS
[chart of 35 awards GTA IV recieved in 2008 and 2009, including game of the year recognition by New York Times and Los Angeles Times plebian newspapers.]

Following the critical acclaim it received on its release, Grand Theft Auto IV has received various awards from various critics and publications. It received several Game of the Year awards, from gaming media outlets such as Spike TV,[174] Giant Bomb,[169] Kotaku,[171] and GameTrailers,[159] as well as mainstream publications, likeThe New York Times,[177] the Los Angeles Times,[178] and Time magazine.[179] Grand Theft Auto IV also received seven nominations at the 5th British Academy Video Games Awards (BAFTA Games Awards),[181] and three nominations at the 9th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards,[182] but did not win any of them.

If you can show me any evidence that GTA IV wasn't a popular and critical success then I will eat my mattress.

Edited by Masketta Man

slimeball supreme

I'm simply sharing my opinion about IV, doesn't mean I hate the game

Yes it does. Hating the game is an opinion, and that is obviously your opinion.

Several people from this section like to ( or used to ) wander around V section, too, to share their opinions about the game and what they think about V in comparison to their holy masterpiece, a.k.a., the legendary GTA IV.

But does that mean they all hate ( or hated ) GTA V?

You used to do the exact same thing, except preaching the holy masterpiece GTA San Andreas. And yes, it did mean the majority of people who hated on it hated it.

Kingdom Come Deliverance is one such promising first-person, realistic ( but an RPG ) title set in an open world.

this isn't a crime game though Edited by Mr. Fahrenheit

Piggsy pls

From wikpedia:

SALES

Within twenty-four hours of its release, Grand Theft Auto IV sold over 3.6 million copies, equating to approximately $310 million in revenue.[122]Within a week, it generated more than $500 million in worldwide revenue, equating to approximately 6 million copies sold for Take Two.[123][124][g] The numbers surpassed analysts' expectations for the title.[126][127][128] After one month of availability, the game had sold over 8.5 million copies.[129] It broke three Guinness World Records on 13 May 2008: highest grossing video game in 24 hours, highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours, and fastest-selling video game in 24 hours.[130][h] On 11 March 2011, Take-Two announced that the game had sold over 20 million copies, with the Grand Theft Auto series surpassing a collective total of 100 million copies.[132] As of July 2013, the game has sold over 25 million copies.[133] All sales records broken by Grand Theft Auto IV were beaten by its successor, Grand Theft Auto V, upon release.[134]

In the United Kingdom, the game became the fastest-selling game of all time, selling over 631,000 copies in twenty-four hours.[135][136] This broke the record set by Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas at 501,000 copies over the same period.[137] During the first five days of availability, the game sold over 927,000 copies in the United Kingdom.[138][139] Over the same period, 2.85 million units were sold in the United States.[140] By the end of 2008, the game had sold over 5.18 million copies in the US.[141] In its first four days of availability in Japan, it sold 133,000 copies on the PlayStation 3 and 34,000 on the Xbox 360, according to Media Create.[142]

In the first week of availability, the Windows version of Grand Theft Auto IV debuted at seventh place on the weekly charts;[143] by the second week, it had left the top-ten.[144][145] Based on unique user counts, the game was the most played Games for Windows Live game in 2009 and 2012, and the second-most played in 2011.[146]

AWARDS

[chart of 35 awards GTA IV recieved in 2008 and 2009, including game of the year recognition by New York Times and Los Angeles Times plebian newspapers.]

Following the critical acclaim it received on its release, Grand Theft Auto IV has received various awards from various critics and publications. It received several Game of the Year awards, from gaming media outlets such as Spike TV,[174] Giant Bomb,[169] Kotaku,[171] and GameTrailers,[159] as well as mainstream publications, likeThe New York Times,[177] the Los Angeles Times,[178] and Time magazine.[179] Grand Theft Auto IV also received seven nominations at the 5th British Academy Video Games Awards (BAFTA Games Awards),[181] and three nominations at the 9th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards,[182] but did not win any of them.

If you can show me any evidence that GTA IV wasn't a popular and critical success then I will eat my mattress.

It was popular with critics like every GTA game is. That doesn't mean the same for fans/general audience. It had a sizeable hatedom when it first came out. Anyone who was on the internet when it came out knows that.

Son of Zeus

As pretentious as IV? Definitely not, which is an excellent thing. More serious than V? That would be good, but it's doubtful considering the popularity of Online.

DimitriFaustin

The same thing will apply when VI comes out, we all shall discover this*. GTA fans here will suddenly preach V to no end and talk about how V was hated in the first few years it came out.

The lack of true love and appreciation will continue to glare and shine bright.

* - That was a reference to a Mikhail Faustin quote, by the way.

DoctorMike

I really hope not, IV is depressing as f*ck.

IV isn't depressing!... you...you are depressing you poophead!! IV's story is dark and the game has a serious sense of humor unlike GTA V.

Majestic81

GTA IV will always be there for us to play. I dont really want another replica of the game. I would like a return to the serious approach, sure, but I dont want a IV 2.0.

Edited by Majestic81

woggleman

From wikpedia:

SALES

In the first week of availability, the Windows version of Grand Theft Auto IV debuted at seventh place on the weekly charts;[143] by the second week, it had left the top-ten.[144][145] Based on unique user counts, the game was the most played Games for Windows – Live game in 2009 and 2012, and the second-most played in 2011.[146]

AWARDS

Yes it sold a lot but you should have seen the butthurt over the IGN rating. Nobody can deny it recieved serious backlash.

Osho

Yes it sold a lot but you should have seen the butthurt over the IGN rating. Nobody can deny it recieved serious backlash.

Day one ( and post launch customer ) experience is the most important single factor for a game, and GTA IV was / is by no means as great as the concept of the game "appeared" before release, during previews / pre-order stages, and in comparison to other fantastic games like Mafia 1.

Hence the backlash.

It didn't deserve perfect scores.

It didn't deserve the stupid "Oscar worthy" tags

But it deserved the backlash and finally, post release and after actually playing the game, the game finally got the "right" reviews from the customers. Some found it great, but many couldn't ignore a number of significant problems with the game, the story, the performance, the setting, the leading character, including the number of downgrades in terms of what made the previous titles so popular etc..

So it does seem rather pointless and absolutely stupid to label such a game with a number of flaws not easy to ignore but still being criticized, and have been actually improved ( to some extent ) by later R* titles, including GTA V, as a "cult classic"

Several people from this section can't even ignore the flaws related to GTA V in comparison to GTA IV, and you think people are that stupid to ignore the sheer amount of poor gaming design found in IV as the biggest reason the game is still facing criticisms and serious backlash over the years????

Just a story with fancy cutscenes can't drive an entire game, esp., an open world franchise not popular for its storytelling but for content and expections for improvements in areas of gameplay.

IV delivers in storytelling department, as subjective as that may be, but fails to deliver in the later. Its not just an opinion but a popular opinion about this game and that can be seen from the decreasing popularity of this game, unlike Mafia 1 that has a cult following with hardly any serious backlash as IV but maximum praise from majority of the players who played it.

IV doesn't even have the same inventive streak and unique set of qualities like Mafia 1 has to offer to make it a classic.

Almost everything in IV already feels horrendously dated as the first failed prototype that utilizes ragdoll physics and new engine in an open world with some special graphical effects, and detailed game world.

O.Z

GTA IV craps all over Mafia 1 - just saying.

Algonquin Assassin

I remember trying to get back into in the day, but it never hooked me for some reason. I liked Mafia II though.

otachi

I remember trying to get back into in the day, but it never hooked me for some reason. I liked Mafia II though.

What did you do to sonofliberty??

Osho

Mafia 1 is actually meant for people mature enough to handle it, different from the casual dumbed down games like IV.

In fact, IV has lifted many things from Mafia 1, namely,

- Realistic driving and vehicle damage.

- Saving cars in both games. In IV players can use parking area in front of the safe house, while in Mafia 1 the parking area is at the back of the safehouse.

- A number of similar missions that are similar:-

Harboring a Grudge = A Trip to the Country ( Mafia 1 ) mission

Catch the wave = Just for Relaxation mission

Undertaker = The Priest mission

Payback = Attempt 1 in You Lucky Bastard mission...

and many more ...

- Limited weapons

- Stevie's Car Thefts side mission = Lucas Bertine's side mission from Mafia 1

- Health pickups shaped as medical kit including in a number of warehouses similar to Mafia 1.

I could go on..

Mafia 1 has many good things to offer IV didn't copy and makes it more superior over IV like more melee weapons, superior vehicle damage model, manual transmission driving not as easy as IV, superior gunplay, superior and realistic wanted system, better AI, Enemies actually reload and have limited rounds of ammo that opens up the option to take cover and shoot when they reload as a strategy to survive unlike the enemies with infinite ammo ( :lol: IV is so realistic .. ) in IV, smartly placed CHECKPOINTS during missions, no minigames / hanging out crap but a lot superior and highly fun Free Ride mode and FRE that actually also solves the issue of narrative dissonance found in IVs story with ridiculous amount of errand sh*t to drag the narrative.

Mafia 1 story is compact and perfect in length.

So yeah, I can understand why certain TYPE of players would think that IV craps on Mafia 1 when its actually targetted towards a mature audience.

Its funny how people are craving for "more serious and mature" GTA but can't get into a game like Mafia 1 which fits the description perfectly.

In fact, Mafia 2 is actually inferior to Mafia 1. One can refer: Wot I Think: Mafia II to understand why Mafia 2 is such a garbage game.

Personally, I found the same review applies exactly to GTA IV for the most part, as both Mafia 2,and IV have a lot in common when it comes to how badly these games execute an interesting concept unlike superbly executed by Mafia 1.

PJR_4015

Is there actually anything you like about IV, Osho? You say you don't hate the game, but did you atleast enjoy it while playing? Not in the sense of ''This is the best game I've ever played.'', but more like ''Hey, this game ain't so bad. I've seen far worse.'' I've had this feeling with Watch_Dogs for example. To me it seems you found playing IV some kind of torture with all those flaws you are constantly talking about.

Algonquin Assassin

Mafia 1 is actually meant for people mature enough to handle it, different from the casual dumbed down games like IV..

Right..

It was only a few posts ago you were questioning what gives anyone the right to decide whether they're mature enough for GTA IV yet here you are doing the same thing just with Mafia 1 in its place. If that isn't hypocritical I don't know what is.:/