2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

is gta3 the worst gta game ever?

Grumpy Cat

Worst GTA is GTA Advance. I don't like III but it is not bad. This game is 15 years old, and graphics and gameplay was worse than now. From best to worst GTA:

GTA Vice City

GTA IV and TBoGT

GTA V

GTA LCS

GTA III

GTA VCS

GTA San Andreas

GTA 2

GTA Chinatown Wars

GTA 1

GTA Advance

I will say this again, GTA III made the series famous and it was the first 3d GTA, so, its just aged badly but the game was so good at its time.

• Like 1

I will say this again, GTA III made the series famous and it was the first 3d GTA, so, its just aged badly but the game was so good at its time.

I think that's just due more to the limitations of the time. Maybe I have a skewed perspective on this being old enough to remember these games but there are plenty of examples I can think of that despite gaming having moved on are still very playable, and some that are not. Case in point: Perfect Dark vs. Goldeneye 64. I played Goldeneye a few years ago on a borrowed N64 after probably more than a decade of not playing it, and f*ck me did that game age like sh*t. The graphics were pretty basic for a start, but the controls, the animations, and the AI left a lot to be desired. In '97 it was all very groundbreaking, but now it's barely playable. Contrast that with Perfect Dark, which I played through again a couple of years ago (well almost played through again, f*cking Crash Site mission); everything about that game still holds up to this day. Okay, maybe not the graphics, but aside from that the whole experience was every bit as good as it was in 2000.

Anyway, my point is that it isn't really fair for people to criticize GTA3 for things that just weren't realistic for the game to have at the time. Of course it doesn't have all the extras that the later games did, but this was back in 2001, and I can tell you from experience that at that period of time this game was absolutely mindblowing in terms of its size and scope. Later GTAs may put it to shame, but the city, the peds, the cars, the radio, the weapons, the story, the sidemissions, everything about that game was (and felt) absolutely brand new. Again, I may be biased here, but if you put the later bells and whistles aside and enjoy the actual game, I think you'll find it's every bit as fun as any other GTA you've played. You just have to appreciate that the game you would expect now just wasn't possible back then.

Edited by Bartleby
  • Like 2

Anyway, my point is that it isn't really fair for people to criticize GTA3 for things that just weren't realistic for the game to have at the time. Of course it doesn't have all the extras that the later games did, but this was back in 2001, and I can tell you from experience that at that period of time this game was absolutely mindblowing in terms of its size and scope. Later GTAs may put it to shame, but the city, the peds, the cars, the radio, the weapons, the story, the sidemissions, everything about that game was (and felt) absolutely brand new. Again, I may be biased here, but if you put the later bells and whistles aside and enjoy the actual game, I think you'll find it's every bit as fun as any other GTA you've played. You just have to appreciate that the game you would expect now just wasn't possible back then.

It still is absolutely mindblowing for some of us... :whistle:

BxmUzHPl.jpg

Fortunately there's no one after me so I can take a walk and enjoy whatever the game has to offer.

You can hear pleasant music coming out from this restaurant, just try to go inside...

zysZTkF.png

These beatutiful lanterns are affected by wind. The district seems to be always open for tourists.

CQIOBFg.png

Without rushing you can have a look at everything carefully. For instance at map glitches

5czU9iI.png

or at untextured objects.

pXIvQzd.png

You can treat them as developers' lazyness. I treat them as secrets only the true observant will notice.

And it starts to get foggy giving me the feeling that something bad is going to happen. I don't want to be murdered by some bad guy running out of the nearest corner. I'm armed as the manual suggested.

U9R37la.png

It makes the city feel bigger. Especially to someone who has never been there and has to explore it on his own. A city map ? Forget it. All you have is a small one in the corner which doesn't show some pathways. Move your ass and find them.

2zM32o3.png

In some cases this game is more advanced than the next titles.

Emergency Vehicle Crane ? Pickpockets ? Analog clock ? Thermometer ? Pedestrians with headphones listening to such loud music a player can hear ? Detachable limbs ? Only in GTA3.

All these are just examples. More are waiting for you to find them. In fact there are "hackers" that enjoy it so much that new features are being discovered still after 15 years of the game's release. Want to swim without vehicles ? Use

Sometimes a game can be better with unrealistic components. Think about the Hidden Packages for instance and the rewards you get from them. Isn't it cool to always have a supply of guns at your hideout ? Player is rewarded for taking his time to explore the city.

But here's the other, more realistic side: after causing enough havoc the army comes to get you. The soldiers are armed with M16s and shoot with pinpoint accuracy. Should they come with submachine guns and shoot like it's their first training ? You should be punished for bad behavior. ;)

I guess I would be classed as a mature gamer im 47 so I played GTA3 when it was new and nothing like it had been seen before.

The few short comings the game has was down to hardware most people played it on the PS2 those lucky enough to play it on pc had to use pc's with Pentium 3 processors or an AMD K6.

Intel had only just launched the Pentium 4 and it did not have hyper threading or dual cores, and they where expensive.

I first played it like most people on PS2 it was a reason to own a PS2, I still think it looks good on that console even now.

It was probably a couple of years later I firsat played it on PC and by that time ViceCity had been launched, I played it on a Pentium 4 1.8 ghz processor and a 64mb Nvidia card.

I never finished the game on PS2 only on pc, always been a pc gamer I guess.

It was a ground breaking game and yes the missions are hard, but after all these years I still play it, its loaded on my pc now I have my hard copies and my steam version.

I love the game very much :).

• Like 2

pXIvQzd.png

You can treat them as developers' lazyness. I treat them as secrets only the true observant will notice.

Emergency Vehicle Crane ? Pickpockets ? Analog clock ? Thermometer ? Pedestrians with headphones listening to such loud music a player can hear ? Detachable limbs ? Only in GTA3.

That is one impressive Gallery you have, Err5. I have highlighted this one image for special discussion. In this case, I don't think that's laziness. If anything, there'd be times a Billboard would not have an Advertisement on it.

You did miss one thing in your Features List. Dynamic Bridges. The Shoreside Vale Lift Bridge comes to mind here.

• Like 1

pXIvQzd.png

That is one impressive Gallery you have, Err5. I have highlighted this one image for special discussion. In this case, I don't think that's laziness. If anything, there'd be times a Billboard would not have an Advertisement on it.

You did miss one thing in your Features List. Dynamic Bridges. The Shoreside Vale Lift Bridge comes to mind here.

Liked the part he mentioned about detachable limbs ;) GTA 3 was the only gta in the series to have this much gore with flying limbs. III remains as a best classic :^: Edited by GTA_The_Series
  • Like 1

Liked the part he mentioned about detachable limbs ;) GTA 3 was the only gta in the series to have this much gore with flying limbs. III remains as a best classic :^:

It's the only Game to use 'Chunk' Character Modeling.

• Like 1

Simply_Wasted

Liked the part he mentioned about detachable limbs ;) GTA 3 was the only gta in the series to have this much gore with flying limbs. III remains as a best classic :^:

It's the only Game to use 'Chunk' Character Modeling. Is that the reason they had that nice feature in III? I forgot as well GTA 3 was the only gta to have blocky pedstrains (as well as Claude) But i forgot about that. VC was the first to have updated models to feature a skeletol-like system for peds, interesting.
  • Like 1

You're looking too much at its technical limitations.

the game was from 2001 and was R* First effort, Of course, it's going to feel outdated, I Still love the dark atmosphere of Liberty City, fantastic to this day in many ways, the game has the best atmosphere in the series so dark & gloomy.

GTA III is obviously far superior to any 2D Game, and personally, I Would take it over San Andreas and the story games.

So for me, not the worst Grand Theft Auto.

Agree with everything you said, except taking it over San Andreas. For me, it ranks second behind SA as my favorite GTA game. I still play it religiously.

the xbox version is much better

better graphics

realistic hand

reflection on vehicles

no more blocky characters (LEGO style)

better animations

some of bags been fixed, i think

• Like 1

I think PS2 version = best for classic feeling.

I think XBOX= Best for best experience, if you're into graphics and all of that, otherwise PS2 it's still the best. :p

• Like 3

Thank you.

When it comes to my screenshots there's more in the pinned thread that show more or less playful cleverness.

The things I have written about are GTA3 exclusives - the Lift Bridge or the Crusher are in LCS as well.

Oh, stupid typo. It's "laziness", not "lazyness".

You gave me an inspiration to explain this:

M4jjhWl.png

Well, the season in the game seems to be autumn, right ? Right there we can see the first signs of snow. :)

the xbox version is much better

better graphics

realistic hand

reflection on vehicles

no more blocky characters (LEGO style)

better animations

some of bags been fixed, i think

bags ?

9e25210c0a8daa0c92219680b35f3f3d.jpg

If I recall correctly some issues related to textures have been fixed, like keys on the piano at Salvatore's or the 8-ball sphere at SSV bomb shop. Could a volunteer compare both versions, checking these potential errors mentioned above as well ?

• 3 years later...

It seems i forgot the meaning of “worst” as soon as i saw this thread. So it’s a no.

Evil empire

Since GTA 3 made the franchise become popular and famous, given the nuber of mods released for it and knowing the most modded games are the most popular ones the answer is clearly no.

MyNameIsNotImportantBro

I know this topic is 4 years old, but You are talking about a 2001 game

Algonquin Assassin

No.

San Andreas is.

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

7 minutes ago, SonOfLiberty said:

No.

San Andreas is.

Lmao, I find this statement kind of cute. In a good way of course. You really need to give SA another chance SoL, it may surprise you. 

OT: III may be aged, but it really has one of the more unique atmospheres in the series and even the story feels unique thanks to the mute protagonist, sometimes it's fun assuming different thoughts and reactions for Claude in different playthroughs. So I wouldn't call it the worst , actually I don't know what's the worst. But I do know I need to start another playthrough of III soon

Algonquin Assassin
9 minutes ago, Utopianthumbs said:

Lmao, I find this statement kind of cute. In a good way of course. You really need to give SA another chance SoL, it may surprise you. 

Trust me. It wont.

• YEE 2

MyNameIsNotImportantBro
38 minutes ago, Utopianthumbs said:

OT: III may be aged, but it really has one of the more unique atmospheres in the series and even the story feels unique thanks to the mute protagonist, sometimes it's fun assuming different thoughts and reactions for Claude in different playthroughs. So I wouldn't call it the worst , actually I don't know what's the worst. But I do know I need to start another playthrough of III soon

San andreas is f*king boring man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OmarMohammed said:

San andreas is f*king boring man.

It's no Vice City now, is it

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

You really need to give SA another chance SoL

You say that again he’ll cut off your f*ckin head!

4 hours ago, Payne said:

You say that again he’ll cut off your f*ckin head!

lol I probably have been saying that to him one too many times, didn't mean to appear pestering or anything, my bad SoL

• 3 weeks later...

III can't be the worst since it's definitely V and you all know it.

• Like 2

Algonquin Assassin
On 4/6/2020 at 10:31 PM, SonOfLiberty said:

No.

San Andreas is.

On 4/6/2020 at 10:53 PM, SonOfLiberty said:

Trust me. It wont.

Yep. I'm officially full of sh*t. Just like I said I "left" the forum only to come back a couple of months later.

Tbh it’s hard leaving unless you get your account deleted, i was gonna ask that to Voodoo a while back but couldn’t do it. I’m glad you’re full of sh*t about San Andreas lol.

• Like 1
  • YEE 1

37 minutes ago, OmarMohammed said:

@SonOfLibertyDon't become a San Andreas fanboy, you hear? :)

Too late, he already decided SA has the best map over IV in another thread, he's one step away from saying CJ is better than Niko 😜