2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Character you disliked ( or hated ) to play ?!?

Osho

Ever ended up hating ( or disliking ) a main protagonist so strongly, even though you may find the game interesting to play, yet your opinion hasn't changed against the leading character and lack appreciation due to certain weaknesses' ( be the personality, the story, voice acting, etc ) and if so, then please name that character and explain why you hate/dislike it so much?

For me, Niko Bellic from GTA IV.

While the overall game was good, the main protagonist was just boring, sh*tty hypocritical character with a silly plot that defies all logic and reasoning. I feel R* sort of ran out ideas to make him interesting between just killing people for money and looking for that special someone, even though the latter plays very small part of the entire plot, and you're just wasting time doing random missions for random people that barely have anything to offer to the story other than some boring lines.

I feel the same way about the Max Payne's Character from Max Payne 3.

Share your reasons about any particular leading protagonist that failed to keep you interested in playing that character, regardless of your opinion about the game itself.

• Like 2

A few that come to mind;

Niko Bellic, GTA IV.

Aiden Pierce, Watch Dogs.

Anders, Dragon Age 2. You don't really play as him per say, but he's in the party for a time.

• Like 3

I too disliked Niko Bellic, maybe we're all just racist towards Eastern Europeans.

I usually don't finish games that have a protagonist that I don't like, but I won't mention those.

I didn't like Vito Scaletta from Mafia 2, he was as flat as your girlfriends chest. #Burnt.

Edited by Fireman

Silent protagonists with zero personalities like Claude or even Gordon Freeman. Also that whiny Desmond Miles from AC and the emotionless dude from Silent Hill 4 (forgot his name he's so boring).

• Like 1

Trevor. Not too fond of Michael either, in fact both he and Trevor got on my nerves once they started fighting every mission.

For equality's sake, Raiden from MGS2 as a non-GTA example. Not my cup of tea. The Japanese audience supposedly had a more favorable opinion.

The voiced Lone Wanderer in Fallout 4. Having to listen to your character talk constantly breaks the immersion. It's even worse in Far Harbor because the tone is more flippant and it's obvious that it was recorded later. There should be a way to turn it off. I'm talking Xbone here, not PC. The character's story is also pretty lame and pedestrian. Searching for his son in the wasteland. Yawn.

SoL is going to have a heart attack when he views this thread.

The main reasons I disliked Niko was for his voice (sounds too whiny for a battle-hardened Eastern European man in his 30s) and for the fact that his appearance stuck out like a sore thumb (the close-cut hairstyle coupled with the large ears, cheekbones, nose and chin, for instance), as I prefer characters with more modest features who blend in with their surroundings more. I can understand that a lot of people want a unique looking character over a bland, uninteresting looking one though.

Another one I dislike would be Connor from AC3. His body shape didn't go too well with the robes, not to mention the fact that it just looked so damn strange running around in those robes in 18th century Boston, New York and wherever else. I liked Haythem a lot better, and would've been more than happy to play as him for the remainder of the game.

• Like 2

CJ sucked and is the most inconsistent character of the series. Does crazy CIA missions, steals f*cking jetpacks, robs the mafia etc. and is still a pussy who has no opinion of his own and goes back to the hood because his brother said soo....lol. Not to mention despite doing all that crazy sh*t he can't break him out of some lame prison? lol

And who can forget the iconic scene where Catalina makes him his bitch? Sums up his character very well.

Not to mention him burying that poor construction worker alive, his character just seemed to change depending on the missiom. SA would have been better with multiple protags imho.

Overall it was still a good game because of the memorable side characters and open world but CJ was just so awful and after Tommy a huge disappointment. Thankfully GTA IV delivered again.

Edited by Journey_95
  • Like 5

The voiced Lone Wanderer in Fallout 4. Having to listen to your character talk constantly breaks the immersion. It's even worse in Far Harbor because the tone is more flippant and it's obvious that it was recorded later. There should be a way to turn in off. I'm talking Xbone here, not PC. The character's story is also pretty lame and pedestrian. Searching for his son in the wasteland. Yawn.

multiple voices would have been at least better. Kinda awkward when you make an old character but they sound like theyre 20

I didnt really like Aiden in watch dogs. He seemed like a really generic protag and not very memorable

• Like 2

Not to mention despite doing all that crazy sh*t he can't break him out of some lame prison? lol

There are files in the game that suggest that a R* version of Alcatraz island was to be included at one point. Many think that you were going to bust Sweet out yourself. My guess is they removed it after realizing Toreno's sub-plot becomes irrelevant if he has no leverage.

Edited by Ruin

Nice topic you made there Osho. Nobody was giving two dead dog's tugs about your posts in relevant sections so you run to seek attention here?

OT:

I can't say I've seen character that I would dislike or hate from the beginning, but I definitely grown some strong emotions toward some of them during the progress of the game.

One of such characters is definitely CJ, who I started to dislike around Catalina's mission strand for being terrible pushover and whiner. Guy who literally wasn't giving sh*t about anybody back in LC and killed couple of dozens of Ballas and Vagos, suddenly turns into drama queen and starts crying, because some crazy bitch pull out a gun on him. What's even worse, he turns into her sex slave for one simple reason - money. Guy who turned from gangbanger into a prostitute, despite the fact that he could earn the cash in many different ways and the only thing Catalina led him to was the property in SF, which induced new wave of bitching and moaning on his side.

CJ never questioned anyone's orders, doing sh*t for anybody and his mother, despite lack of any reason to progress further. He was just a tool in hands of Smoke, Tenpenny and even shermhead Ryder, and it addition he wasn't even the sharpest one.

Second character, probably not surprising one is of course Trevor. Giant crybaby, bullying and manipulating people with the most simple of powers - fear. There is nothing cool, nor interesting about his character either, as his whole personality is just combined from other's character traits, making his the Frankenstein's moster of the series. There is nothing original in his personality, not nothing that could be even called a bit of his own. All the things he does were done before, but better and in stronger way.

With every mission, my hatred towards this poor example of a protagonist was rising to a point I was barely able to progress further. Thankfully the ending come to save the day and I pick the way without second thoughts. Trevor ended as the pile of ash somewhere.

Edited by Tycek
  • Like 9

Nice topic you made there Osho. Nobody was giving two dead dog's tugs about your posts in relevant sections so you run to seek attention here?

OT:

I can't say I've seen character that I would dislike or hate from the beginning, but I definitely grown some strong emotions toward some of them during the progress of the game.

One of such characters is definitely CJ, who I started to dislike around Catalina's mission strand for being terrible pushover and whiner. Guy who literally wasn't giving sh*t about anybody back in LC and killed couple of dozens of Ballas and Vagos, suddenly turns into drama queen and starts crying, because some crazy bitch pull out a gun on him. What's even worse, he turns into her sex slave for one simple reason - money. Guy who turned from gangbanger into a prostitute, despite the fact that he could earn the cash in many different ways and the only thing Catalina led him to was the property in SF, which induced new wave of bitching and moaning on his side.

CJ never questioned anyone's orders, doing sh*t for anybody and his mother, despite lack of any reason to progress further. He was just a tool in hands of Smoke, Tenpenny and even shermhead Ryder, and it addition he wasn't even the sharpest one.

Second character, probably not surprising one is of course Trevor. Giant crybaby, bullying and manipulating people with the most simple of powers - fear. There is nothing cool, nor interesting about his character either, as his whole personality is just combined from other's character traits, making his the Frankenstein's moster of the series. There is nothing original in his personality, not nothing that could be even called a bit of his own. All the things he does were done before, but better and in stronger way.

With every mission, my hatred towards this poor example of a protagonist was rising to a point I was barely able to progress further. Thankfully the ending come to save the day and I pick the way without second thoughts. Trevor ended as the pile of ash somewhere.

Yeah Osho is pretty hilarious with his dislike for GTA IV and Niko in particular. I mean there is nothing wrong with disliking the game but he has to mention it in EVERY damm thread (and this is like the fourth he created to bash the game), its ridiculous. Its like he just can't stand it that people like the game.

Agree with your thoughts on CJ, he had potential but he was so inconsistent and just all over the place.

• Like 2

Aden Peirce from Watch Dogs- Very boring and generic. I felt I was controlling a robot rather than a man. Nothing's interesting about this guy. And his little batman voice, makes him look a joke.

Dante from the new DMC- In his former games he was an actual funny, upbeat ass kicker. Now since Capcom, rebooted the series he's such a moody ass, dick with this emo swag.

Moira Burton from Resident Evil: Revelations 2- All hear from her is "f*ck you!" "f*ck it!" "f*ck that" "f*cking Barry, he's sucks." I don't want to do anything. No to mention how she isn't very useful. She's a foul mouth, moody little girl

Edited by Chamberman20
Tali vas Normandy

Locke from halo 5 quickly comes to mind.

Guy is lame and uninteresting as f*ck. Sad part is that you have to play as him for the majority of the game as him and to go through his stupid story. I wanna play halo to play as chief and learn more about the universe. Not to play as some f*ckwit hunting down chief for no reason whatsoever.

Vito Scaletta. He was basically a robot with no personality. And what little illusion of personality he had was godawful. What a boring and disgusting character.

Edited by The Yokel

Almost all silent protagonists suck.

A couple people mentioned Aiden from Watch Dogs. Agreed with that.

Every character you play as in the Army of Two games.

Whoever you play as in CoD Black Ops 3.

Edited by CReaper210

Only 1 "character" I truly hated:

Toilet in Saints Row The Third. Very cheap, dumb "humor". Thankfully it was only one mission.

Didn't hate just disliked playin' them:

- Tanner from Driv3r. Can't run, can't jump properly, swims slowly + he looks dumb in this game.

- Mike from GTA Advance - thanks to controls even driving the car was little fun. Let alone controlling the character.

- Mark Hammond from The Getaway - worst shooting and cover mechanics in 3D open world games.

- Tommy Angello from Mafia - a lot better than names I've listed above but nowhere near to Vito from Mafia 2. Just like in Driver series, The Getaway, Wheelman, True Crime, I preferred to stay in a car in Mafia 1.

SoL is going to have a heart attack when he views this thread.

SoL is too satisfied with GTAF Census results to pay any attention to this thread. :santa:

Edited by Street Mix
  • Like 3

CJ and Trevor.

CJ would always change his personality ranging from cool to a bitch to a smart leader to a dumbass.

Trevor is bad for me because he didn't fit into the story and made it worse.I get that they wanted a new type of character but why make him so annoyning? Its like the kids playing GTA made into a person which is a bad thing IMO.

Trevor from GTAV. One of the most backwards ass protagonists in a video game, just ended up hating him and actually almost ended up killing him at the end of the game just for my satisfaction, but figured it would be most beneficial to keep him alive.

Franklin from GTAV. Boring as all hell, dude even has a character transition scene where he's just eating a bag of potato chips, think that says it all. Whenever I'm goofing around in SP I'm 100% always Michael.

Vic Vance from VCS. Vice City being my favorite game, I could only cry myself to sleep when Stories got such an uninteresting protagonist, especially after I enjoyed Tony Cipriani so much, figured they'd keep the ball rolling but alas they delivered a forgettable protagonist of what became the weakest installment of the series for me.

Claude Speed from GTAIII. I played Vice City before GTAIII and my love for Tommy Vercetti made GTAIII a huge struggle to play. Not only due to Tommy being more charismatic than Claude well because, he could actually talk. Don't think I'll ever find myself playing GTAIII ever again, thank god for Liberty City Stories. Non-voiced protagonists always bore me; it's lame in the Call of Duty campaigns as well.

Marcus Fenix from Gears of War. One of my favorite game series yet I loathe the protagonist, everything being irritating about him from his voice to his protagonist. Just a really generic "badass" tough guy that I never cared a lick about across all three main series games. Don't even get me started on having to play as his son in the upcoming Gears of War 4.

Natalia from Resident Evil Revelations 2. Main reason as to why I haven't finished this game even though Resident Evil is by far my favorite video game series is being forced to play as a little girl when I much rather be always playing as Barry Burton. It must be even worse when coop'ing with a friend as you're then forced to be her one-hundred percent of the time, so you can scamper around while Burton does all the shooting.

Master Chief from the Halo series. I never really enjoyed Halo's campaign modes to the point where I have not finished a single one, and Master Chief didn't make things any better. He's not a bad protagonist, I see the appeal in him but I personally don't have the same opinion. I think the people from Halo Reach were the most interesting if anything.

Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 2. My love for Solid Snake just fuels my opinion against having to play as Raiden in MGS2. I understand is extremely important to the story, alas I still rather be playing as everyone's favorite clone.

Jack Marston from Red Dead Redemption. His father is just miles better, and Jack's obnoxious voice really doesn't help his cause.

Mondo from Killer is Dead. Suda51 usually nails it with their protagonists, such as Juliet Starling from Lollipop Chainsaw and whatever the dude's name is from Shadows of the Damned, but one of the biggest reasons I never finished Killer is Dead is not only due to the repetitive gameplay, but I never found the protagonist interesting. The supporting characters were only where the game shined.

MiamiViceCity1986

SoL is going to have a heart attack when he views this thread..

Honestly before I opened this thread and saw Osho made it I knew he was going to target Niko lol. Anyone who's frequented the GTA IV and/or the GTA V forums the last few months will understand what I mean.

Nothing he said is that shocking or surprising really because he basically recycles the same points over and over again. In saying that people can hate Niko. Doesn't make me lose any sleep.;)

Anyway normally I would just say CJ or Trevor, but for a non-GTA example I didn't particularly enjoy playing as Connor from ACIII. I didn't really "hate" him, but compared to Ezio he was just boring and very 1 dimensional.

SoL is too satisfied with GTAF Census results to pay any attention to this thread.02 :santa:

According to the census GTA SA is still the K I N G for many.

SA's victory, once again, proves the FACT that people play GTA for gameplay. Story can barely make up for really boring and sh*tty game but amazing gameplay can make up for everything. No doubt, SA has a good story, too, but wouldn't make a difference if the gameplay was sh*t, and that's why IV miserably failed to earn the top position.

Even Niko Bellic couldn't help GTA IV from the awkwardness and public embarrassment of losing against GTA Online. :lol::lol::lol:

It seems people mainly like Niko Bellic in fancy cut scenes, and prefer SA / Online to be the game for ultimate fun who are tired of playing a glorified errand boy in GTA IV.

OT:

Franklin Clinton from GTA V. Not very appealing to play, nor interesting from story standpoint, and just ended up being a clone to CJ. Rockstar could've delivered a much better character in him, and as such, its mainly the fault on their part rather than Franklin for not having realized its full potential in order to make him stay in the minds of the players long after they complete the story, like Trevor leaves a strong impression. I guess a DLC could have helped to redeem his character but until then Franklin will remain one of the most disliked ( not hated ) characters to play.

• Like 1
MiamiViceCity1986

No doubt, SA has a good story, too, but wouldn't make a difference if the gameplay was sh*t, and that's why IV miserably failed to earn the top position.

Even Niko Bellic couldn't help GTA IV from the awkwardness and public embarrassment of losing against GTA Online. :lol::lol::lol:

It seems people mainly like Niko Bellic in fancy cut scenes, and prefer SA / Online to be the game for ultimate fun who are tired of playing a glorified errand boy in GTA IV.

Seeing as the thread's about protagonists rather than games I think it's hilarious CJ got owned by Niko and Tommy haha.

• Like 3

CJ isn't that great of a character which even SA fans realize. Tommy is clearly the best. No doubt, CJ is a fun character to play but I can understand why many wouldn't find him very appealing from story standpoint. I'm glad to see him make into the top three.

E:

Oh and for clarity, by not "very appealing" isn't supposed to imply anything about him being black, but strictly speaking from story's narrative viewpoint.

Edited by Osho

Trevor, of course. Overblown, needlessly cartoonish, waste of potential. I don't think I need to elaborate on this subject again.

But generally (and the Trevor situation is kind of an exception to the rule) the worst kind of protagonist, in my opinion, is the one that doesn't make you feel strong emotions, one way or another. Sympathy or contempt, whatever. They just need to be interesting, be it for their personality or arc, dynamics with other characters, strenghts and flaws, so on. I can appreciate even a slap in the face like (the most notorious example) Raiden in MGS2 or (more subjective one) Luis in TBoGT, because they are actually engaging in their own way. The worst thing that can happen to a protagonist is if he's just dull and fails to connect - like Vito in Mafia II, Locke in Halo 5, Arno in AC Unity, Brody in FC3...

The fact that I'm even having a hard time coming up with characters to use as an example is the whole point, actually. How good is a protagonist of a story, if they are completely forgettable?

Edited by HaythamKenway
  • Like 3