2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Fixing the jets (revisited)

justinlynch3

justinlynch3

I remember making this topic long ago, I think I was still on last gen then about how OP jets are since the tanks was nerfed. Nothing has been done so I think it's time to revisit this topic once again.

Back in the old days of GTA Online (2013-2014) the jets wasn't as big of a threat as they are today. Tanks back then was actually tanks, they had so much armor they could actually survive 2 (sometimes even 3) passes of explosive cannon fire from jets, giving the tanks ample opportunity to strike back and fire at the jets as they dived towards them. As far as air VS ground combat was concerned, tanks actually was balanced back in the old days of GTAO.

However due to people using the tanks to grief and torment other players on the ground, the tanks armor got severely reduced by Rockstar. While this did reduce the use of tanks for griefing, it also upset the balance of air to ground combat, giving the Laser and later addition of the Hydra free reign to cause terror practically unopposed.

Trying to fight a Laser with a Buzzard or a Savage is a bit of a losing battle. The Buzzard with a decent pilot has the nimbleness to evade incoming rockets but lacks the firepower required to keep a jet at bay. Meaning the jet evades one or two rockets (usually easily), gets close while your guns are reloading, and you cannon fodder to explosive rounds. The Savage has the firepower to keep jets at bay with it's non-stop rockets and explosive cannon of it's own, but it's big bulky and slow and in the hands of most average pilots the jets win easily.

Rockstar has tried to solve the jet issue by adding the Homing Rocket Launcher. However it seems rather in-effective as 90% of rockets fired at jets tend to miss. All this weapon has done is put the helicopters at even a greater disadvantage then they was already at. Sometimes you are able to shoot down a jet with the Heavy Sniper Rifle or even hit the pilot, but the addition of the Hydra made getting a fresh jet all to easy and you usually have to be either very skilled or very lucky to hit the pilot him/herself.

So you get a jet, you take to the sky's, and really you have nothing at all to fear short of another jet being in the same lobby. Helicopters are a joke to you, tanks are a joke to you, hell even a Insurgent is a joke to you. I've been in my Insurgent, fresh vehicle with no prior damage, jet comes along, cannon fire, dead in 1 pass. Then to end it off the Homing Launcher is a mere mild annoyance at best. I by no means am a expert pilot and even I've evaded Homing Missiles shot at me while I was in a jet.

So what can we do? One option is to tweak the jets handling stats so they are not quite as maneuverable and are more likely to get hit by Homing Rockets and Helicopters if they get to close. But then lacking that evasive action really defeats the purpose of having a jet.

Another option is to reduce the armor. But how much will that really help when jets are near impossible to hit to begin with? This option to me sounds like a "fix" that jet griefers would suggest so nothing game changing would happen to their precious OP toy. No offense to anyone fyi, it's just how it comes off to me.

My suggestion would be the same this time around as it was the first time around. Remove the explosive effect from the jets cannons. They can still have powerful cannons without them being explosive, for those worried about jet VS jet dogfights removing the explosive effect shouldn't effect you that much if the cannons are kept relatively powerful. The thing is the jets shouldn't be destroying tanks and Insurgents easily with bullets, that's why they have rockets.

Having regular bullets will also reduce getting easy kills and giefing ground players. If a person is running across the street and a jet has regular bullets you actually need to hit him dead on to kill him, with explosive rounds you just fire in the area around him and you got a easy kill.

Reducing the tanks armor yet keeping jets as powerful as they ever where was one of the worst moves Rockstar ever made. I do think replacing the jets explosive rounds with non-explosive rounds would help greatly to balance the jets again and result in us seeing a lot less of them terrorizing free roam lobbies. Rockstar fixed the tanks, it's now time they address the jets.

I realize this has been a bit of a long read, but I hope you enjoy and let me know your thoughts on my suggestions.

Edited by justinlynch3

I've thought about this for awhile. I have a few suggestions.

Limit the ammo on jets. Not only will this nerf jets but it will reward Hydra players over Lazer flyers. Hydra users paid 3 million for a jet that's sh*ttier in air combat than the free jet. This ammo nerf will make things easier for them because in order to get more ammo the player will need to get another jet. Hydra players are able to just call another Hydra. Lazer players will have to haul themselves back to the airbase.

The other idea is like what San Andreas had. At certain wanted levels AI Lazers would spawn and hunt you down. The AI would be smart enough to down you if you did nothing to stop them, but not OP. The point would be to force jet players to do something else besides strafe cars. It would give players a chance to get away. The AI Lazers would only attack airborne players with wanted levels, but to prevent helicopters from being killed by the AI Lazers helicopter pilots with wanted levels would be attacked by Buzzards instead.

In the "old days of GTA Online" there wasn't the Hydra and Lester didn't yet offer the Blind Eye, so stealing a Lazer was a challenge in itself. Also, if you crashed or were shot down you had to put the effort to go get one again.

In that same time the tanks were crazy OP with strong armor and no identification on the map (plus some flip-flopping BS regarding insurance). To make matters worse, there weren't any non-rank-locked weapons you could fight against them with. Until you could purchase your own tank, stickies, RPGs, and other explosives you had to run (since you can't use a vehicle in passive mode) or get creative (such as Cargobob'ing an NPC tank or hoping a Buzzard spawns for you)

Tanks got nerfed in multiple ways, The Hydra and Savage were added and now a rank-1 can purchase explosives.

History lesson over.

While the Hydra has the fastest speed, one of (if not the) best weapon rollouts, can be owned by anyone that can scrape together $3M and pass one heist setup, and has the most spawn locations for any Pegasus air vehicle there aren't that many people abusing it. Sure, there are some, but like the suicide queens, epileptic-squirrel tumblers, and skittering "Marksmen" they are a nuisance that can be effectively and practically ignored unless your K/D is critically important to you.

• Like 3

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

kinda my tought on the whole subject

as someone who legitly thinks the jet realy needs a balancing....i've seen this subject way to much here :p

justinlynch3

In the "old days of GTA Online" there wasn't the Hydra and Lester didn't yet offer the Blind Eye, so stealing a Lazer was a challenge in itself. Also, if you crashed or were shot down you had to put the effort to go get one again.

In that same time the tanks were crazy OP with strong armor and no identification on the map (plus some flip-flopping BS regarding insurance). To make matters worse, there weren't any non-rank-locked weapons you could fight against them with. Until you could purchase your own tank, stickies, RPGs, and other explosives you had to run (since you can't use a vehicle in passive mode) or get creative (such as Cargobob'ing an NPC tank or hoping a Buzzard spawns for you)

Tanks got nerfed in multiple ways, The Hydra and Savage were added and now a rank-1 can purchase explosives.

History lesson over.

While the Hydra has the fastest speed, one of (if not the) best weapon rollouts, can be owned by anyone that can scrape together $3M and pass one heist setup, and has the most spawn locations for any Pegasus air vehicle there aren't that many people abusing it. Sure, there are some, but like the suicide queens, epileptic-squirrel tumblers, and skittering "Marksmen" they are a nuisance that can be effectively and practically ignored unless your K/D is critically important to you.

Trust me I know about the Markman. That thing is annoying as well but that's a topic for a different thread as is the suicide and Kuruma abusers (though I surprisingly rarely see Kuruma's now). There are a lot of things to discuss in GTA but we can only take it one thing at a time, and right now the focus is on the jets.

Edited by justinlynch3

Arrows to Athens

Jet threads again? They only lead to ''Jets are OP, and need to be nerfed! No, they're fine as they are, and you can avoid them. Git gud or get rekt'' arguments. The ''Why do people hate jets?'' thread is a great example.

Edited by Fearx--
  • Like 2

History lesson over.

Trust me I know about the Markman. That thing is annoying as well but that's a topic for a different thread as is the suicide and Kuruma abusers (though I surprisingly rarely see Kuruma's now). There are a lot of things to discuss in GTA but we can only take it one thing at a time, and right now the focus is on the jets.

My point is that it's not a major problem. An annoyance, but not game-breaking, to 95+% of the community.

justinlynch3

Jet threads again? They only lead to ''Jets are OP, and need to be nerfed! No, they're fine as they are, and you can avoid them. Git gud or get rekt'' arguments. The ''Why do people hate jets?'' thread is a great example.

True but same arguments was made for tanks as well. When you have a OP toy you'll have people trying to defend it. The people who say "get gud or get rekt" are exactly the people who needs a OP jet or tank because they themselves, are in reality not good at all under fair conditions.

That's been my general experience.

I think to fix jets without removing explosive bullets is to disable passive mode when entering one and add a 20 minute time limit to call one after you crash and decrease the spawn rate for the lazer.

Arrows to Athens

True but same arguments was made for tanks as well. When you have a OP toy you'll have people trying to defend it. The people who say "get gud or get rekt" are exactly the people who needs a OP jet or tank because they themselves, are in reality not good at all under fair conditions.

Well, I honestly don't see Rockstar tweaking/nerfing jets any time soon; they just don't care about these kind of stuff. If it doesn't affect shark card sales, they won't attend to it. I mean, they don't even bother fixing and improving their own damn game, so what makes you think they're going to tweak/nerf jets for those who constantly complain about being griefed by them, you know? And, as some people have pointed out before, it appears to be that Rockstar in fact support jets, considering they've nerfed tanks, but not jets, and have implemented the Hydra as a purchasable jet as well as making the homing launcher ineffective against jets.

Edited by Fearx--
  • Like 1

So what about all these new players I see get obliterated when they only have a couple of weapons with "limited" ammo when someone else is pissing around in a jet killing them with "unlimited" ammo? Think that's fair?

Just put a frigging limit on how many missiles and cannon it can fire and no Passive mode.

Well, I honestly don't see Rockstar tweaking/nerfing jets any time soon; they just don't care about these kind of stuff. If it doesn't affect shark card sales, they won't attend to it. I mean, they don't even bother fixing and improving their own damn game, so what makes you think they're going to tweak/nerf jets for those who constantly complain about being griefed by them, you know? And, as some people have pointed out before, it appears to be that Rockstar in fact support jets, considering they've nerfed tanks, but not jets, and have implemented the Hydra as a purchasable jet as well as making the homing launcher ineffective against jets.

I think a nerf is quite likely, the ghosting feature seems to have been implemented because of jets, judging by how the loading screen advertising it talks about griefing. I don't think R* WANT to nerf the jet itself but I think they will eventually. Can see them add other things first though to try and balance it, like better homing capability. Jets shouldn't be able to just fly in circles to avoid them, that's dumb. I've gotten a lot down with the homing but you're only getting them if you fire at the right moment when they're coming in low to strafe you.

Arrows to Athens

I think a nerf is quite likely, the ghosting feature seems to have been implemented because of jets, judging by how the loading screen advertising it talks about griefing.

That's how you perceive it.

• Like 1

I think a nerf is quite likely, the ghosting feature seems to have been implemented because of jets, judging by how the loading screen advertising it talks about griefing.

lol the only griefing that goes on in the game is jets because it is so overpowered. I'm not seeing threads of people saying they're sick of being griefed by the advanced rifle.

I think to fix jets without removing explosive bullets is to disable passive mode when entering one and add a 20 minute time limit to call one after you crash and decrease the spawn rate for the lazer.

Decrease the spawn rate?

Yeah, an airfield without aircraft would really suck, especially in a 'game'.

Taking all explosive-ness away? I think that's a little strong. Here's what I'd do:

Replace it with the Valkyrie's cannon. Slower rate of fire (harder to aim with), as well as slightly lower damage (gives tanks more of a chance).

Buff the tank's armour, but also buff both RPGs and jet/heli missiles. Tanks can dodge these missiles, so them having decent damage is fair in my opinion. The more BS weapons though (like the jet cannons, or the homing launcher) would no longer cause so much damage.

And, like I've said many times before, either buff the Heavy Sniper to its old state, or give us a Heavier Sniper.

Edited by Icantthinkofonew

For me, every armed vehicle should have limited ammo.

It's just ridiculous and borderline gamebreaking that I need to spend thousands of money in ammo to win the Criminal Damage, while a asshole a can oblitare me and my score with a jet and unlimited ammo.

Either I have to get a jet or Savage to win, or pray that any other player participating the event is not savy enough to get one first.

In fact, the whole idea of having deadly unlimited ammo for vehicles in general that can be readily available to me, while having limited ammo for the weapons that I had to get RP and money for is beyond stupid. But of course, this change would never happen to the game, because the squeakers would cry to their mommas.

Arrows to Athens

lol the only griefing that goes on in the game is jets because it is so overpowered. I'm not seeing threads of people saying they're sick of being griefed by the advanced rifle.

People have different perceptions of griefing. What griefing may be to you may not be griefing to others.

''the only griefing that goes on in the game is jets because it so overpowered''.

Once again, that's what you think; it doesn't make it a fact. I've had to deal with two jets two days ago, and one of them I blew up with a rocket when he was about to strafe me; the other kept trying to kill me, but then gave up and flew somewhere else. For me, jets aren't even that common, and sometimes they don't even attack. Not only that, but they're easily avoidable. If you're really being griefed by jets constantly, you're clearly doing something wrong.

Edited by Fearx--
  • Like 1

While I can get behind the idea of limited ammo in armed vehicles, it wouldn't solve the "problem" much.

So Johnny Noskills orders his Hydra and fires his 20 rockets and uses up all 5000 rounds of ammo (the numbers are open to debate, I just had to pick something). All he has to do is go Passive, bail out, and as soon at it crashes he dials up another Hydra which can spawn in a whole bunch of places; then hop in, drop Passive and continue his griefing. You inconvenienced him, but not stopped him.

While I can get behind the idea of limited ammo in armed vehicles, it wouldn't solve the "problem" much.

So Johnny Noskills orders his Hydra and fires his 20 rockets and uses up all 5000 rounds of ammo (the numbers are open to debate, I just had to pick something). All he has to do is go Passive, bail out, and as soon at it crashes he dials up another Hydra which can spawn in a whole bunch of places; then hop in, drop Passive and continue his griefing. You inconvenienced him, but not stopped him.

That would help with the issue in Criminal Damage though.

And I think 250 rounds of explosive ammo are more reasonable, then it would switch to 1000 or 5000 of conventional ammo.

For rockets it would be 2 homing and 2 non-homing rockets. Once you use a rocket you can see it leaving leaving the wings on the jet.

People have different perceptions of griefing. What griefing may be to you may not be griefing to others.

''the only griefing that goes on in the game is jets because it so overpowered''.

Once again, that's what you think; it doesn't make it a fact. I've had to deal with two jets two days ago, and one of them I blew up with a rocket when he was about to strafe me; the other kept trying to kill me, but then gave up and flew somewhere else. For me, jets aren't even that common, and sometimes they don't even attack. Not only that, but they're easily avoidable. If you're really being griefed by jets constantly, you're clearly doing something wrong.

You're being ridiculous lol you asked what made somebody think R* cares enough to nerf the jet, regardless of whatever "type" of griefing the ghosting mode was brought in for, it shows they will act against griefing or try to soften it. And more people complain here about jet griefing than every other weapon griefing combined.

CarimboHanky

as a jet griefer at this point the only way R* can "fix" the jet is by adding either a ammo limit and/or fuel limit.

to be honest i see none of them happening.

so stay alert and keep and eye on the sky, because when you see the shadow, its just too late!

ap8xSrRtt0W359xheN2auQ_0_0.jpg

• Like 3

Just removing the explosive rounds would fix the problem. Make them still do ungodly damage to their targets so you can dogfight and all that jazz, but no blast radius so that it actually takes skill to hit something on the ground.

Arrows to Athens

You're being ridiculous lol you asked what made somebody think R* cares enough to nerf the jet, regardless of whatever "type" of griefing the ghosting mode was brought in for, it shows they will act against griefing or try to soften it. And more people complain here about jet griefing than every other weapon griefing combined.

No, you're being ridiculous. You're the one claiming that jets are the only form of griefing in this game, since they're extremely overpowered, and that ghost mode was implemented specifically to tackle jet griefing, not me. No need to flip the absurdity on me. Your perception, just like everybody else's, is insignificant.

Edited by Fearx--
  • Like 1

No, you're being ridiculous. You're the one claiming that jets are the only form of griefing in this game, since they're extremely overpowered, and that ghost mode was implemented specifically to tackle jet griefing, not me. No need to flip the absurdity on me. Your perception, just like everybody else's, is insignificant.

You just can't accept somebody did offer you an example that could reasonably suggest R* do care about the griefing that takes place from jets. There's a word for that: butthurt.

I don't think Jets are op at all....and I HATE them.....the problem is they are too easy to steal and we should not be able to buy them!

They are JET FIGHTERS for crying out loud lol

• Like 1

Arrows to Athens

You just can't accept somebody did offer you an example that could reasonably suggest R* do care about the griefing that takes place from jets. There's a word for that: butthurt.

Why would I be butthurt? I'm not the one being constantly griefed by jets, then whining about a nerf, am I? And what you provided there was not an example, but merely your own perception of ghosting mode and baseless predictions about a future nerf. I don't care if they nerf jets or not; it's just that I don't see any nerf coming any time soon. If jets were really unbalanced and OP in Rockstar's eyes, they would have done something about it long time ago, but they haven't.

Edited by Fearx--
  • Like 1

I personally would have made the jets harder to steal and added the hydra to the military base

but then again I dnt have 100000000 people on my back saying "LL Cock L sucks, give us the hydra"

Hahaha it's usually the jets around me going down by my hand, not the other way around..I don't always win the fight, but I always win the war ;) funny how your statement that R* will do nothing, is just as much if not more so of as a baseless prediction! You really are a pretty stupid human being, and most likely one of these sky pussies, to not be able to make the connection that ghost mode, which even states by R* itself is to stop griefing, has nothing to do with the OP jets. No, no...I'm always hearing about that pistol griefing, must be for that, eh? :lol: