2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

The difference between true fans and fanboys.

Racecarlock

Racecarlock

First of all, no true scotsman wanders around in anything but a kilt in the summer time!

Alright alright, now that I've acknowledged this fallacy, onto the topic at hand.

I think what makes a fan of any series, not just GTA, one aspect of being a true fan is a willingness to criticize beyond what any regular person with a passing interest in the series even though that person ultimately loves the series.

Why do I bring this up? Well, since this is GTAforums, no matter what entry of the series you talk about, it's going to have it's fanboys. You know, the people who like to go "No! Every part of this game was perfect forever shut up!". I myself am still in love with vice city, even though it's camera controls are garbage and it's character is a bit one note. Hell, maybe I like it because Tommy is a bit one note, because that one note is "Don't f*ck with me" and I kind of like that.

So, I ask all the fanboys and all the regular fans this. Please, please be more critical of this series. It's the only way it'll improve. There are plenty of great people around here who do this regularly. I myself have a huge respect for Official General, who always makes sure his criticism is deep and insightful, or at always a few levels above "This game sux lol". Find them. Learn from them. And ultimately realize that just because you love this series doesn't mean it's perfect, and that criticizing what flaws you find can only lead to a better product in the future.

That is what will make you a true fan.

• Like 4

Maibatsu545

People need to be more understanding of other's opinions. I hate many aspects of V. Do I lose my sh*t when someone tells me I'm wrong or calls me an idiot? No, I just feel bad for them and move on. It's just an opinion. Same as if someone was hating on Mario64 or any other games that I love. I'm not going to change their minds, so why bother? The Internet today is so preoccupied with angry debates, why add to it? That's what I think. On the other hand, I'm not going to bite my tounge about how I feel about V. If people want to pick a fight with me over that they just end up on the ol' ignore list. Trying to argue with them just leads to them reporting me and getting warnings. No point in that. Live and let live I say. If people want to call me an idiot for my opinions that's fine. But I probably won't bother responding because it's just not worth it anymore.

So what makes a true fanboy? Someone who blows a gasket when they see someone being negative about their favorite game. I prefer the term "fan-addict", because it's more accurate. The game has its hooks in them, and to suggest it's not good is absolutely intolerable to them.

Edited by Maibatsu545

The Dedito Gae

I think what makes a fan of any series, not just GTA, one aspect of being a true fan is a willingness to criticize beyond what any regular person with a passing interest in the series even though that person ultimately loves the series.

Wrong, not everyone thinks the same, most of the time the adamant defense is based on ...guess what, they truly like it, few times is just to bait or provoke.

...Please, please be more critical of this series. It's the only way it'll improve...

Wrong again, people criticized IV to no end and we ended with watered down V, so clearly the critic angle is moot.

There's not such a thing as "fake fan" and neither you are in any position whatsoever to judge who is and who's not a "worthy" or "acceptable" fan, so this thread is useless.

Edited by Midnight Hitman

Racecarlock

Wrong, not everyone thinks the same, most of the time the adamant defense is based on ...guess what, they truly like it, few times is just to bait or provoke.

...Please, please be more critical of this series. It's the only way it'll improve...

Wrong again, people criticized IV to no end and we ended with watered down V, so clearly the critic angle is moot.

There's not such a thing as "fake fan" and neither you are in any position whatsoever to judge who is and who's not a "worthy" or "acceptable" fan, so this thread is useless.

You have a point, but still, wouldn't yourself being a good critic of GTA V lead to a better GTA VI?

I'm just saying. You probably have a lot of legitimate grievances, why not air them in a carefully thought out and analytical way?